daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 12th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #1101
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Thats wishful.

Australia is certainly capable and at some point should host the WC, but pull is nowhere near as strong as the pull to go to Africa, a continent of lots of countries, with a huge interest in football.

There is no pull for wanting to go to a time zone thats not really ideal.

I'd like Australia to win 2022, but it will be because it is a safe and trusted major events country with an incredible track record.

In terms of money, it may be slightly tough to overcome the 2018 England FIFA profits, but, it would certainly come close, so the money argument goes out the door.

We heard for years that South Africa would not be financially successful for FIFA, yet its FIFA's most profitable world cup ever, $3.5 billion compared to $2.8 billion in Germany 2006.
Australia has pushed their bid as an Asian world cup and they will have a very viewer friendly time zone for Asia, which after all is FIFA's key growing market. After FIFA went to South Africa and deservedly so, Australia is the last remaining gap in FIFA's global map and I cannot see Australia getting another opportunity for a long long long long time, possibly even till the next century. Australia just like South Africa represents not just a country but is pretty much the representative nation for the region of Oceania but also they are a member for Asia, who has by joining them given considerable strength to Asia's confederation. Infact I doubt if Australia had not joined the Asian confederation whether Asia would still even have the 4.5 world cup places that it has.

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 12th, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
MysteryMike no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #1102
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Its actually FIFA's last realistic chance to host in all continents ,represent all confederations in their first 100 years of the FIFA World Cup-surely this is important to them

Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #1103
AndreasBerlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Its actually FIFA's last realistic chance to host in all continents ,represent all confederations in their first 100 years of the FIFA World Cup-surely this is important to them

I think FIFA also want to be the first major sporting event to be hosted on every continent. With Cape Town's ambitions to host the olympics, FIFA has to act soon, or it will be beaten by the Oympics!
AndreasBerlin no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #1104
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Australia has pushed their bid as an Asian world cup and they will have a very viewer friendly time zone for Asia, which after all is FIFA's key growing market. After FIFA went to South Africa and deservedly so, Australia is the last remaining gap in FIFA's global map and I cannot see Australia getting another opportunity for a long long long long time, possibly even till the next century. Australia just like South Africa represents not just a country but is pretty much the representative nation for the region of Oceania but also they are a member for Asia, who has by joining them given considerable strength to Asia's confederation. Infact I doubt if Australia had not joined the Asian confederation whether Asia would still even have the 4.5 world cup places that it has.
1. You can push for an Asian world cup all you like, its still Oceania and the timezone remains unfriendly

2. The Africa gap was giant, the "Australia" gap significantly smaller

3. The Oceania region is not important for FIFA

4. I bet half of the FIFA Exce don't know Australia plays/qualifies via Asia
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #1105
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
1. You can push for an Asian world cup all you like, its still Oceania and the timezone remains unfriendly

2. The Africa gap was giant, the "Australia" gap significantly smaller

3. The Oceania region is not important for FIFA

4. I bet half of the FIFA Exce don't know Australia plays/qualifies via Asia
But they are bidding as an Asian member, the time zone for the South American world cup in 2014 will be exactly the same as the US, the 2018 edition again will not assist the Asian population one little bit, the South African edition as well terrible times for key Asian markets, 2006 Germany? Terrible again, I mean how much longer can FIFA ignore it's key development market? Specially when you consider by 2022, 70% of the world's population will be in Asia, if I was FIFA I'd look at nowhere but Australia. This place has achieved the football development (far more so than anywhere on the planet), they have had to fight tooth and nail for the game, they are now top 20 in the world, their football has come up in leaps and bounds, they have their own professional football league, they are higher ranked in world football than any of the other contenders, 3 of whom have hosted world cups already, the other they lead in the fifa rankings by almost a whopping 100 places, they have the infrastructure, they have the tourist destinations and Australia completes the map for FIFA. They also currently possess the best performing developed economy on the planet. I think that's more than enough for Australia to get the 2022 Football World Cup and deservedly so.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 12th, 2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #1106
AndreasBerlin

Quote:
But they are bidding as an Asian member, the time zone for the South American world cup in 2014 will be exactly the same as the US, the 2018 edition again will not assist the Asian population one little bit, the South African edition as well terrible times for key Asian markets, 2006 Germany? Terrible again, I mean how much longer can FIFA ignore it's key development market? Specially when you consider by 2022, 70% of the world's population will be in Asia, if I was FIFA I'd look at nowhere but Australia. This place has achieved the football development (far more so than anywhere on the planet), they have had to fight tooth and nail for the game, they are now top 20 in the world, their football has come up in leaps and bounds, they have their own professional football league, they are higher ranked in world football than any of the other contenders, 3 of whom have hosted world cups already, the other they lead in the fifa rankings by almost a whopping 100 places, they have the infrastructure, they have the tourist destinations and Australia completes the map for FIFA. They also currently possess the best performing developed economy on the planet. I think that's more than enough for Australia to get the 2022 Football World Cup and deservedly so.
That is interesting, I didn't realise before that:
2006 Germany- was a bad TV time for Asia
2010 South Africa- was a bad TV time for Asia
2014 Brazil- will be a bad TV time for Asia
2018 Europe- will be a bad TV time for Asia

As much as I love watching in prime time in Germany, I think if Australia has night matches, I would be happy to watch games in mid-morning. I agree that FIFA would be mad to keep ignoring the Asian market for even a mili-second longer.

Infact, to outline the importance of Asia, I was reading an article in a newspaper in Germany today which was discussing how some german schools are looking at scaling back their teaching of European languages and introducing Mandarin, Japanese, Korean and Arabic.
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #1107
_X_

Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #1108
_X_

I think this ad for SA2010 encapsulates Australia,its cultural diversity,its love for the game

_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #1109
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:

image hosted on flickr
Don't get me wrong I see your point of view, but when it comes to FIFA, its a very naive point of view.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #1110
MysteryMike
BANNED

I don't agree Mo, I think FIFA will see the point, this table further adds to Australia's credentials for hosting the world cup, South Korea/Japan was in the exact same time zone. Australia can actually provide much better time zones than even Japan/South Korea as it's such a large country/continent that cities on the far west of Australia such as Perth will offer a different time zone to cities on the far east.

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 12th, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #1111
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasBerlin View Post
That is interesting, I didn't realise before that:
2006 Germany- was a bad TV time for Asia
2010 South Africa- was a bad TV time for Asia
2014 Brazil- will be a bad TV time for Asia
2018 Europe- will be a bad TV time for Asia

As much as I love watching in prime time in Germany, I think if Australia has night matches, I would be happy to watch games in mid-morning. I agree that FIFA would be mad to keep ignoring the Asian market for even a mili-second longer.

Infact, to outline the importance of Asia, I was reading an article in a newspaper in Germany today which was discussing how some german schools are looking at scaling back their teaching of European languages and introducing Mandarin, Japanese, Korean and Arabic.
All matches from an Australasian World Cup will be in daylight hours in Europe ,the UK and Africa.The vast majority of the worlds population (86.6%)will see it in daylight or in primetime.
Thats 6,763,286,800 people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #1112
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:

We heard for years that South Africa would not be financially successful for FIFA, yet its FIFA's most profitable world cup ever, $3.5 billion compared to $2.8 billion in Germany 2006.
That's mainly because people don't understand how FIFA makes its money from the world cup. It's not in ticket sales, and FIFA doesn't build the stadiums.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #1113
AndreasBerlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
That's mainly because people don't understand how FIFA makes its money from the world cup. It's not in ticket sales, and FIFA doesn't build the stadiums.
You've just killed off any argument for the US hosting the tournament
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #1114
MysteryMike
BANNED

Old November 12th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #1115
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Nice to see Aboriginals back on the scene
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #1116
MysteryMike
BANNED

There are just 20 days before the successful bidders for the 2018 and 2022 finals are known and, while the US and Qatar might shade Australia in the betting market, Schwarzer says he wouldn't be surprised if the controversial events of last month now help soccer boss Frank Lowy's cause to fulfill the Aussie dream.

"You can probably look at it that we have't got a seat on the voting committee and we are a little bit behind the eight ball in that sense but, in hindsight, with the controversy that has come to light in the last couple of weeks it will probably work to our advantage a little bit," Schwarzer said from London yesterday.

FIFA suspended two executive members, Nigeria's Amos Adamu and Tahiti's Reynald Temarii, for being suspected of selling their votes.

"We are not a direct competitor with anyone in particular and I think people are seeing Australia as a clean break, a clean bid, one that is very genuine and strong and what it does is bring it to a region where it's never been held before."

Six youngsters from the Football NSW Project 22 yesterday had the opportunity to speak and see Schwarzer and Matildas goalie Melissa Barbieri on the screen, courtesy of Cisco TelePresence.

Schwarzer told Josh Bartolotto that if Australia's bid was successful it would change the face of football here for generations to come.

"First and foremost, FIFA always say they'd like to bring the game to a different part of the world and Australia is one of those places that geographically has never hosted a World Cup," Schwarzer said.

" We play a big part in Oceania and we are part of the Asian Confederation and we are a very stable and safe country and a growing football nation."

"Whenever people have spoken to me about Australia, it's just been favourable and a place they'd like to go to. It'a place that also has an amazing track record in hosting major events."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225952956371
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #1117
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatar Son 333 View Post
Nice to see Aboriginals back on the scene
Don't you remember Cathy Freeman ? ('cause this is not that old ):

parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #1118
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Don't you remember Cathy Freeman ? ('cause this is not that old ):
Where did i mention it is ?
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #1119
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9711

You wrote about Aboriginals being "back on the scene", right ??

So, I answered about Cathy Freeman (the "Aboriginal symbol" per se)... who was right in the middle of the scene only ten years ago....
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #1120
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
You wrote about Aboriginals being "back on the scene", right ??

So, I answered about Cathy Freeman (the "Aboriginal symbol" per se)... who was right in the middle of the scene only ten years ago....

----
What I meant was its good to see they "still" have their importance (even though they are only 500K) and that I would like to see more of them taking part in such events.

Closed Thread