daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 7th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #101
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Your right. I think Sydney will bring back the Olympic stands at ANZ bringing it back to 110,000. as for the MCG I think they would have to dig the pitch deeper an extend the 1st tier.
Thats the only way I see it getting done.That would be a massive undertaking and personally,I dont think it would pass through.
ExSydney no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #102
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
Thats the only way I see it getting done.That would be a massive undertaking and personally,I dont think it would pass through. and anyway the government already has a price which means this has been in the pipeline for a while
I don't know but I would expect seeing the timing that the state government has already agreed to put this option in the bid book which if so if we win FIFA could demand it be done. Anyway I think it would look goof for Australias bid if we have 2 stadiums over 100,000, especialy as we are competing against the USA. If we can match them with infrustructure I think that is our biggest hurdle as they dont have much else up on us.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #103
aus16

Likes (Received): 2

could someone PLEASE make some photoshops to show what this would look like
aus16 no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #104
kichigai

Likes (Received): 182

Last edited by kichigai; December 7th, 2009 at 03:25 AM. Reason: double post
kichigai no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #105
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus16 View Post
could someone PLEASE make some photoshops to show what this would look like

ExSydney no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #106
Ragarms

Likes (Received): 0

Ha!

Good joerb.

Ragarms no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #107
bing222

Likes (Received): 12

Nice photo

2010-11

SYDNEY FC CHAMPIONS

2005-06
2010-11
bing222 no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #108
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUboy View Post
AFL fuming over soccer World Cup demands Michael Warner From: Herald Sun December 07, 2009 12:00AM

FOOTBALL warfare has broken out over Australia's bid to host the soccer World Cup, with fears the MCG could be declared an "AFL-free zone" for an entire home-and-away season.
Soccer's ruling body, Football Federation Australia, has told the MCG it will require a $130 million taxpayer-funded overhaul to install rectangular seating in readiness for the world's biggest sporting event in 2018 or 2022.

Construction and removal of the temporary stands could take up to four months, potentially leaving the stadium without any AFL games until the finals.

Matches banished would include the showpiece Anzac Day clash between Essendon and Collingwood. Footy fans will instead be forced to travel to games in regional cities or interstate venues including Launceston and Darwin.

Angry AFL chiefs, who were not told of the proposed MCG overhaul during recent discussions, are growing more agitated by what they say is a lack of transparency by the FFA and FIFA - soccer's international governing body.

The World Cup bid will also affect the National Rugby League competition and its State-of-Origin series.

"All sports have said they will support the bid for the World Cup, but it's hard when FIFA and Australian soccer officials show no respect," a high-level source said.

"While they are happy to fly around the world and brief FIFA delegates, they appear unwilling to tell anyone in Australia what is really going to happen. They have deliberately kept us in the dark."

In another twist to the footy fight, Etihad Stadium chief Ian Collins is believed to have written to FFA rejecting World Cup matches at the Docklands venue.

But the FFA believes it has the option of seeking government intervention to seize temporary control of the privately owned stadium.

The Brumby Government has final say over any works or disputes involving the MCG.

The Premier will come under pressure from the Rudd Government, which has pledged $2 billion worth of support to the World Cup bid.

Under strict FIFA rules, all venues must be quarantined for a month beforehand and major rival sporting events must be halted during the month-long tournament.

The AFL is believed to be willing to start the 2018 or 2022 footy season early, and move some games to other venues, but will not accept FIFA's instruction to close down competition throughout the World Cup action.

Frustrated AFL chief Andrew Demetriou at the weekend spoke out about being kept in the dark over the World Cup bid.

"The AFL is still waiting for the FFA to tell us what would be required of our competition," he said.

"We have seen the FFA quoted in a number of different media reports on what may occur, but it's extremely disappointing we have still had no direct information.

"The AFL has a history of working with major events to accommodate them around our match fixturing, such as the recent (2006) Commonwealth Games and the 2000 Olympics.

"So we are seeking definitive information from the FFA to see what planning may be required for us."

The FIFA exclusion period applies only to cities hosting games, meaning AFL matches could still be played in other locations.

FFA wants use of the MCG, Etihad Stadium, Suncorp Stadium, Sydney Football Stadium, ANZ Stadium, Adelaide Oval and redeveloped venues in Newcastle, Gold Coast, Townsville, Canberra, Parramatta and possibly Perth.

The MCG and Etihad won't make a killing on World Cup games, with all ticket sales, merchandise and broadcast profits going back to FIFA's headquarters in Switzerland.

It is unclear whether the cost of the proposed $130 million works at the MCG would be paid by national or Victorian taxpayers.

www.heraldsun.com.au
Bow down to your masters Demetriou.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #109
Dav15

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
I'm sure the AFL is just thrilled to death at the prospect of having Geelong as it's big venue for a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post

120.000-130.000 seating places???
Dav15 no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #110
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

You have to basically cancel all other events during the WC too.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #111
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

I'm still wondering whether Sydney or Melbourne is going to get the 2 stadiums, since only one city can have 2 stadiums in a FIFA world cup. I guess Sydney is the most likely one with the Sydney Football Stadium and ANZ Stadium. This would mean that Etihad at Melbourne wouldn't be used during the world cup, and probably also that the final would be at the MCG... That would explain why they want to spend a lot of money on converting the MCG for the world cup!

Also, I'd wonder whether FIFA considers Parramatta as a 'seperate' city from Sydney... I'd rather see a stadium in Tasmania / Wollongong / Geelong / whatever then 3 stadiums in greater Sydney.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #112
Mo Rush

Sydney. FIFA congress? sydney. FIFA fan fest.? sydney.

I wouldn't rule out two cities with two venues.

Etihad with its roof makes its very appealing to FIFA.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #113
kennerado

The moveable seating of Etihad also makes it very appealing.
kennerado no está en línea  
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #114
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
I'm still wondering whether Sydney or Melbourne is going to get the 2 stadiums, since only one city can have 2 stadiums in a FIFA world cup. I guess Sydney is the most likely one with the Sydney Football Stadium and ANZ Stadium. This would mean that Etihad at Melbourne wouldn't be used during the world cup, and probably also that the final would be at the MCG... That would explain why they want to spend a lot of money on converting the MCG for the world cup!
Sydney's advantage is that the NRL can retreat to suburban grounds without significant drops in attendance. Penrith, Parramatta, Campbelltown, Leichhardt, Kogarah and Brookvale are all still used. That leaves three clubs to find a temporary home, assuming Belmore is not suitable. The AFL could not handle both MCG and Docklands being out of commission at the same time.

Also, the two big stadia, ANZ and SFS, are also configured for a rectangular pitch. It would be more feasible to expand ANZ to Olympic size than to dig down in the MCG turf, especially near the river (water table issues). It's especially wasteful considering they'd just convert it back to a big oval after the tournament. I think there is too much work and opposition in Melbourne.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #115
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Sydney's advantage is that the NRL can retreat to suburban grounds without significant drops in attendance. Penrith, Parramatta, Campbelltown, Leichhardt, Kogarah and Brookvale are all still used. That leaves three clubs to find a temporary home, assuming Belmore is not suitable. The AFL could not handle both MCG and Docklands being out of commission at the same time.

Also, the two big stadia, ANZ and SFS, are also configured for a rectangular pitch. It would be more feasible to expand ANZ to Olympic size than to dig down in the MCG turf, especially near the river (water table issues). It's especially wasteful considering they'd just convert it back to a big oval after the tournament. I think there is too much work and opposition in Melbourne.
From ex sydneys image it looks as though he has extended the 2nd tier down to the pitch rather than digging down. this is probably a better solution which would not incur the problems which you mentioned.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #116
Pimpmaster

Likes (Received): 3

Fears World Cup bid could harm State of Origin series

December 08, 2009 12:00am

THE NRL is headed for a showdown with Football Federation Australia over fears the game's showcase State of Origin series could be ruined under current proposals for the 2018 World Cup bid.

NRL chief David Gallop yesterday expressed concern about the impact Australia's bid for the World Cup could have on rugby league, vowing his code "won't disappear off the face of the earth" to accommodate the round-ball game.

Gallop, who will meet with FFA boss Ben Buckley on Friday to discuss how the bid will affect the NRL, said soccer's proposal that the Origin series be played over three weeks was not feasible.

"We don't want to try to block the bid but we do have concerns that we think are legitimate," Gallop said.

"I'll be meeting with FFA later this week and hopefully they can shed some light on what has really been proposed. We just can't disappear off the face of the earth. There is one proposal that we play State of Origin over a three-week period. Clearly, that would be very difficult."

Gallop's comments come a day after an extraordinary outburst by his Australian rules counterpart Andrew Demetriou, who claimed that an entire AFL season may have to be scrapped if Australia wins the World Cup because of the need to re-design the MCG.

Buckley played down that assertion yesterday, saying such hysterical comments could hurt Australia's bid to attract an event that competes with the Olympics as the biggest sporting show on earth.

But the soccer supremo did admit that World Cup venues would be off-limits to other sports for a period of time and that those sports would need to find alternative venues to conduct their competitions.

Buckley said he did not expectother codes would be prevented from continuing their regular seasons if Australia was successful with its bid.

"We'll discuss with FIFA the possibility of continuing the competitions and we would expect that there are precedents that would say those competitions can continue to occur during the World Cup," Buckley said.

"What we have to be mindful of is that they won't be played at the World Cup venues and that means, of course, we have to find alternative venues."

Demetriou said if FIFA could claim exclusive access to the MCG for four months, it would be impossible to schedule a viable AFL season.

Buckley said he understood Demetriou was protective of his sport.

"We certainly understand there is a competitive element, but we think the World Cup is bigger than any individual sport," Buckley said.

"We think everyone understands that. It's a matter of just working together, working constructively and finding solutions.

"The administrators of any sport will be making sure that their interests are protected and that they are not disadvantaged by the impact of a major event. I can understand the concern but we have communicated all the information that we have and we'll work through the issues with them."

Australia's bid book for hosting either the 2018 or 2022 World Cup has to be submitted by May.

Buckley said many of the AFL's fears were unfounded.

"We've never asked the AFL to shut down their season for the entire season," he said.

"We've never proposed it or discussed it and it would be impractical. The report regarding the MCG does look at rectangularisation of the lower bowl but it is at a very, very significant cost and a very big impact and it's not something we are actively pursuing.

"I think the MCG in its current configuration is a world-class venue. We certainly think that, in its current form, it is going to be part of the bid."

Victorian Premier John Brumby said he was confident Australia could host both a World Cup and a successful AFL season.

"(The World Cup) has around three times the number of viewers of an Olympic Games and so it's something that would really put Australia on the map," he said.

New NSW Premier Kristina Keneally said that should Australia win a World Cup, Sydney would like to host the final.

Share this article What is this?
Pimpmaster no está en línea  
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #117
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
From ex sydneys image it looks as though he has extended the 2nd tier down to the pitch rather than digging down. this is probably a better solution which would not incur the problems which you mentioned.
Dang, I missed that. But now you have the task of building a huge, circular grandstand on top of existing seats. It would have to look pretty good (read: not temporary) to impress FIFA, too.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #118
Vanguard

Likes (Received): 208

All this internecine squabbling in Australia has practically sunk their bid, in my opinion. It makes the minor problems(e.g. handbags) the English bid was having look like a picnic by comparison. The USA bid people must be loving it.
Vanguard no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #119
aus16

sydney will definitely get the two stadiums because now the AFL is rejecting FFA's use of Etihad for the world cup because clubs could not survive without it.
aus16 no está en línea  
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #120
Mo Rush

Welcome to FIFA requirements.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread