daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 17th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #1181
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

As I've said before, there will be minor technical details, but Australia could not produce a poor bid even if they tried. FIFA's requirements post Germany were trial runner in South Africa, so they can be very explicit about the exact needs of training venues, accommodation, transport etc.

Autralia ticks all the boxes, and the issue raised regarding flights is not a major concern, given that the domestic airport system in Australia is significantly better than that of South Africa and has stronger coverage between many more cities i.e. more cities, have more flights, have better airports, and better transport.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #1182
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 2111

Umm, Mo, what are you, some sort of gushing fan of oz? Only Sydney and Melbourne have world class airports.
Are you saying that OR Tambo, Cape Town and Durbans new airport are inferior? Because plainly, they aren't, they are easily world class.

And better Transport? While that sounds like it should be true, Perth, for example, boasts an ageing airport over 50 kms from the cbd, with no train link, just standard busses.

And whats this 'more cities, more flights...' stuff?

Jhb, CT, DBN, Pretoria, Bloem, PE all have more than sufficient flights, and we have a much more competitive budget airline market going on in SA.

So I dont know if I am maybe missing your point, and if I am I apologies for leaping to the defense of the country that has just hosted possibly the best World Cup ever...
Diggerdog no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #1183
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerdog View Post
And better Transport? While that sounds like it should be true, Perth, for example, boasts an ageing airport over 50 kms from the cbd, with no train link, just standard busses.
Um, 50km?
It's better to not make shit up when making a point. Perth Domestic Teminal is 13km from the CBD and the International Terminal is 17km. Perth has been planning to build a new merged Terminal at the International site for the last 10 years. Winning the WC bid will put it into priority mode and that would most certainly involve a rail link off the Perth to Midland line.

Also Brisbane and Adelaide have excellent Airports.
Walbanger está en línea ahora  
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #1184
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Umm, Mo, what are you, some sort of gushing fan of oz? Only Sydney and Melbourne have world class airports.
Are you saying that OR Tambo, Cape Town and Durbans new airport are inferior? Because plainly, they aren't, they are easily world class.

Jhb, CT, DBN, Pretoria, Bloem, PE all have more than sufficient flights, and we have a much more competitive budget airline market going on in SA.

So I dont know if I am maybe missing your point, and if I am I apologies for leaping to the defense of the country that has just hosted possibly the best World Cup ever...
Brisbane International terminal is the best in the country. Adelaide has a relatively new airport too.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #1185
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:

My post was within the context of the 2022 World Cup bid 12 years away. Which gives Australia significant amount of time to prepare other airports.

Have a look at the domestic passenger numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_in_Australia

Quote:
1 New South Wales Sydney Airport Sydney, New South Wales SYD 32 701
2 Victoria (Australia) Melbourne Airport Melbourne, Victoria MEL 23 943
3 Queensland Brisbane Airport Brisbane, Queensland BNE 18 298
4 Western Australia Perth Airport Perth, Western Australia PER 8 952
5 South Australia Adelaide Airport Adelaide, South Australia ADL 6 619
6 Queensland Gold Coast Airport Gold Coast, Queensland OOL 4 323
7 Queensland Cairns Airport Cairns, Queensland CNS 3777
8 Australian Capital Territory Canberra International Airport Canberra, Australian Capital Territory CBR 2 853
9 Tasmania Hobart International Airport Hobart, Tasmania HBA 1 758
10 Northern Territory Darwin International Airport Darwin, Northern Territory DRW 1 562
11 Queensland Townsville Airport Townsville, Queensland TSV 1 366
11 Airports have annual figures over 1 million, so movement between many more cities using flights would not be a major challenge.

In South Africa only 4 airports have annual figures over 1 million, only 3 airports are world class, PE and down are very basic and in many cases nothing more than a basic structure.

Only ORTIA has a train link. Only CTIA has a dedicated bus link. KSIA is far away with not formal public transport.

Quote:
1. OR Tambo International Airport Johannesburg, Gauteng JNB/FAJS 17,596,203 ▬ ▼1.6%
2. Cape Town International Airport Cape Town, Western Cape CPT/FACT 7,810,069 ▬ ▼0.0%
3. Durban International Airport Durban, KwaZulu-Natal DUR/FADN 4,403,340 ▬ ▲2.6%
4. Port Elizabeth Airport Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape PLZ/FAPE 1,349,673 ▬ ▼4.2%
5. East London Airport East London, Eastern Cape ELS/FAEL 676,982 ▬ ▼3.2%
6. George Airport George, Western Cape GRJ/FAGG 537,600 ▬ ▼10.9%
7. Bloemfontein Airport Bloemfontein, Free State BFN/FABL 397,228 ▬ ▼2.8%
8. Kimberley Airport Kimberley, Northern Cape KIM/FAKM 131,885 ▬ ▼12.7%
9. Upington Airport Upington, Northern Cape UTN/FAUP 42,229 ▬ ▼11.6%

Last edited by Mo Rush; November 17th, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #1186
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:

SA was a brilliant World Cup.Mo is right in what he says-he's been involved in this discussion all along.We have most stuff in place already,at first world standard.The World Cup would obviously be a driver for further infrastructure upgrades but at the moment our economy is absolutely booming-many analysts saying we are set to go to $1.30 per USD

If you want security-
If you want freedom of movement-
If you want diversity-
If you want full stadiums-
If you want huge crowds at fan fests-
If you want good weather-
If you want fantastic hospitality-
If you want to party-
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #1187
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 2111

Ok, well yes, in 12 years time I am sure they will have everything well in place.

WRT to the Perth airport, I should have said Fremantle, where we stayed, not CBD of Perth City.
Canning Highway is a 60km/h traffic clogged nightmare to negotiate from airport to Fremantle, and is considerably further than 17kms.
But anyway, with 12 years to play with, I am sure they will sort that out.

Sydney and Melbourne have nice airports, but Brisbane? I flew to KL numerous times from Brisbane, and there is no way that is the best terminal in the country.

Anyway, I didn't really intend to bag Oz, rather to defend SA, which, as I said, hosted a colourful and party-filled, yet safe and highly organised world cup.
Diggerdog no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #1188
_X_

It was a truly fantastic world cup.
I think there are many parallels between what both countries offer for a WC hosting
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #1189
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Ok, well yes, in 12 years time I am sure they will have everything well in place.

WRT to the Perth airport, I should have said Fremantle, where we stayed, not CBD of Perth City.
Canning Highway is a 60km/h traffic clogged nightmare to negotiate from airport to Fremantle, and is considerably further than 17kms.

Sydney and Melbourne have nice airports, but Brisbane? I flew to KL numerous times from Brisbane, and there is no way that is the best terminal in the country.

Anyway, I didn't really intend to bag Oz, rather to defend SA, which, as I said, hosted a colourful and party-filled, yet safe and highly organised world cup.
Freo is 35km from the airport, not 50km

Perth infrastructure is being upgraded massively too with the mining boom over there. new rail and road duplication was happening when I was over there 3 years ago, and more has occurred since
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #1190
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:

I'm beginning to think you haven't used any of the airports at all. Melbourne's airport is old & the new extension to the international terminal is bland. Sydney I haven't used in ages. Brisbane international terminal is very modern it's only let down by the domestic terminal which is in need of a refurb. But that is happening very soon.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1191
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Melbourne airport needs to be pulled down and re-done. It is horrible.
Solopop no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #1192
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
SA was a brilliant World Cup.Mo is right in what he says-he's been involved in this discussion all along.We have most stuff in place already,at first world standard.The World Cup would obviously be a driver for further infrastructure upgrades but at the moment our economy is absolutely booming-many analysts saying we are set to go to $1.30 per USD

If you want security-
If you want freedom of movement-
If you want diversity-
If you want full stadiums-
If you want huge crowds at fan fests-
If you want good weather-
If you want fantastic hospitality-
If you want to party-
Who could refuse such an invite
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #1193
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
Melbourne airport needs to be pulled down and re-done. It is horrible.
Tulla is currently being redeveloped - being done in stages and over an extended time
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #1194
_X_

The evaluation report regarding Qatar shows 7 host cities
Doha
Al Rayyan
Al Wakrah
Al Daayen
Um Slal
Al Khor
Al Shamal

Also a team base camp village
The proposed TBC village may change the approach to the FIFA World Cup as a Nationwide event

The accommodation plan heavily depends not only on the capacities of two candidate host cities but also on significant construction
The final number of accomplished projects would determine the number of supporters who could be accommodated.Furthermore the concentration of the majority of rooms in just a few properties could lead to the risk that the exclusivity of certain constituent groups could not be ensured

the fact that ten out of the 12 stadiums are
located within a 25-30km radius could represent
an operational and logistical challenge. Any delay
in the completion of the transport projects could
impact FIFA’s tournament operations. Moreover, it
appears to be difficult to test a transport concept
prior to the event under conditions comparable
to the FIFA World Cup™. The fact that New
Doha International Airport would be the primary
air gateway for the entire tournament period also
requires careful consideration.
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #1195
_X_

In terms of safety and security a concept would have to be
established to enable adequate testing of the
proposed security model prior to the event
under conditions comparable to the FIFA World
Cup™.
the fact that the competition is planned in
June/July, the two hottest months of the year in
this region, has to be considered as a potential
health risk for players, officials, the FIFA family
and spectators

A detailed concept remains to be developed
in order to address how all event operations
for the hosting of 64 matches as well as
event-related services such as transport and
accommodation would be ensured in terms of
sourcing, recruitment and logistical support of
sufficiently qualified staff.
The Bidder’s plan implies a new operational
model for all stakeholder groups and in doing
so raises certain questions, especially in terms
of logistics and security. The realisation of
the plan depends on centralised decision making
and is largely based on construction
of projected general and event infrastructure,
which represents a risk by restricting FIFA’s
contingency planning.

_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #1196
Bolsilludo
Yo ♥ Europa & Cono Sur

Likes (Received): 4861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
Egypt 4 Australia 0

USA 2 South Africa 1

USA goes up Australia goes down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will737 View Post
Dear god you are dumb. Try posting something that isn't bashing a country for no reason you twit.
No, he is not. 58 minutes of game, Egypt 1 Australia 0.

CONO SUR
CHILE - ARGENTINA - URUGUAY
Bolsilludo no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #1197
Bolsilludo
Yo ♥ Europa & Cono Sur

66 minutes of game, Egypt 2 Australia 0.

CONO SUR
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #1198
Bolsilludo
Yo ♥ Europa & Cono Sur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
USA goes up Australia goes down.
Egypt won 3-0!!!

It seems that the prediction of Trelawny will become true next december.

CONO SUR
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #1199
waqif
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolsilludo View Post
Egypt won 3-0!!!

It seems that the prediction of Trelawny will become true next december.
Congratulations to Egypt

Last edited by waqif; November 17th, 2010 at 09:40 PM.
waqif no está en línea  
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #1200
_X_

Well done Egypt
Lacklustre comes to mind,certainly the worst performance under the new manager but should get us the Egyptian vote
_X_ no está en línea  

Closed Thread