daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 20th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #1301
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12188

Ok, this thread got disgusting. There is no place for either trolling or racism here. I have been VERY lenient and only given out three simple briggings to give people a chance to reflect upon their behaviour, without getting an infraction. Should trolling or racism continue, I will give automatic infractions. All three of you know what you did, so I don't want endless whining angry pms about it. Take the four days and consider what you have said here.
And, for the two members who added those tags ( I see your names as the taggers, so it is NOT anonymous), do it again and you will get an infraction. Let's keep this thread friendly so that it does not have to be closed.

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #1302
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Blatter praises Australia's Cup bid

FIFA boss Sepp Blatter has praised Australia's bid for the 2022 World Cup, suggesting the lack of controversy surrounding it to be a strength.

Australia is the only bidding country not represented on the 22-man executive committee that will determine the hosts of the 2018 and 2022 tournaments next month.

Blatter thought it might not be a bad thing for Australia to be free of such ties.

"I don't think so...when you don't speak too much about a candidature, it means that it is a good one," Blatter said in Zurich.

"But I can't see that (because) there is no representative from Australia, that Australia has less of a chance than the others".

Australia has gone to great lengths to win over Blatter's support, the FIFA president will cast the deciding vote if it is locked at 11-11 between the final two bidding nations.

Julia Gillard last month made a fleeting visit to Blatter at FIFA headquarters in Switzerland on her first overseas trip as Prime Minister to shore up his support.

Temarii was one of the few locked-in votes for Australia but that was lost when he and Nigerian Amos Adamu were kicked off the voting panel following last month's British newspaper sting.

South Korea, Japan, the United States and Qatar are all competing against Australia to hold the tournament in 12 years' time.

Qatar's bid was hit this week by FIFA concerns surrounding the stifling heat in that country in June.

There has also been a shadow over Qatar's bid following allegations of vote swapping with 2018 co-candidates Portugal and Spain.

Blatter hinted that FIFA would avoid such issues in the future by not holding concurrent bids.

"Now we have to have a look at how to act in the future to avoid such situations, definitely this is an item which is now under scrutiny," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...rt&section=all
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #1303
woozoo

Likes (Received): 185

Why is Wezza in the brig but not OBTS? And how the **** did waqif escape punishment, hes the biggest troll on here???

Lob u mods <3
woozoo no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #1304
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1102

Quote:
Why is Wezza in the brig but not OBTS? And how the **** did waqif escape punishment, hes the biggest troll on here???
I'm a little disappointed I missed all the fireworks, no idea what happened.

As for the 2 exco members, you'd think they'd put self interest aside for their confederations in the short term. 24 voters has to be better than 22 when their are 4 bidders in one vote and 5 in another.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #1305
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post

As for the 2 exco members, you'd think they'd put self interest aside for their confederations in the short term. 24 voters has to be better than 22 when their are 4 bidders in one vote and 5 in another.
Same

Obviously Waqif was stirring the pot.I wouldn't mind it if there was substance to his comments but he seems to just post jibberish-I thinks it his first language

Anyway back to the bid-its quite obvious that Adamu has to stand aside and let someone else represent that confederation.Why on earth should a whole confederation be be penalised
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #1306
Shambolic
BANNED

Quote:
No fireworks. Without knowing the full picture, briggings were handed out. Massive over reaction in all honesty.

Anyways.......
Shambolic no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1307
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Apparently Temarii is determined to fight the charges "for the good of the confed"

Hopefully the confed have a good chat to him and convince him to accept the suspension and resume the fight after the vote
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #1308
_X_

Only Adamu is appealing
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:21 AM   #1309
MysteryMike
BANNED

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 21st, 2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old November 21st, 2010, 01:44 AM   #1310
_X_

What does FIFA expect-to reschedule Wimbledon
As for Australia,some interest will remain in the provincial sports but as we see from history our ratings records for fta and cable are for football.The World Cup in Australia would absolutely dominate the landscape and to suggest a match between Gold Coast and North Melbourne will hold the locals to ransom is fanciful.Although the AFL wants to play through they know that playing any marquee matches in this period is a waste of time and would devalue their season as ratings would be all time lows as we saw this year and the last world cup.
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 01:47 AM   #1311
_X_

_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:42 AM   #1312
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
What does FIFA expect-to reschedule Wimbledon
As for Australia,some interest will remain in the provincial sports but as we see from history our ratings records for fta and cable are for football.The World Cup in Australia would absolutely dominate the landscape and to suggest a match between Gold Coast and North Melbourne will hold the locals to ransom is fanciful.Although the AFL wants to play through they know that playing any marquee matches in this period is a waste of time and would devalue their season as ratings would be all time lows as we saw this year and the last world cup.
In many ways all I can read from this, and other actions of FIFA, is that the WC will only ever go to a place it can stop everything, make the most cash, only pander to European and America TV broadcasters and have things their own way. It certainly limits the market for growth if they keep that up.

In many ways, winning this WC would be just a magnet for the wrong kind of attention, which the media will pick over for years to come. If England loses its bid, which is looking more likely by the day, just wait for the media storm that the press there will unleash. The winners will be shrouded in an air of corruption, just by association.

Its looking more and more likely that the US will win, as the $$ are just too hard for FIFA to resist. Australia can not compete on a level playing field in that regard, so if they do not look at things like legacy and Asian/Oceania market potential, its just a mountain too high for us to climb.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:46 AM   #1313
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
In many ways all I can read from this, and other actions of FIFA, is that the WC will only ever go to a place it can stop everything, make the most cash, only pander to European and America TV broadcasters and have things their own way. It certainly limits the market for growth if they keep that up.

In many ways, winning this WC would be just a magnet for the wrong kind of attention, which the media will pick over for years to come. If England loses its bid, which is looking more likely by the day, just wait for the media storm that the press there will unleash. The winners will be shrouded in an air of corruption, just by association.

Its looking more and more likely that the US will win, as the $$ are just too hard for FIFA to resist. Australia can not compete on a level playing field in that regard, so if they do not look at things like legacy and Asian/Oceania market potential, its just a mountain too high for us to climb.
don't disagree with much of this, except the perception on the winner for 2018

England has a great bid, but to be fair the Russian and Spanish bids are bloody good too.

Only one I can see causing a stigma is if Qatar win 2022. The tech report is far too damning to ignore, and if the exco endorse the bid, they will have to explain how they completely ignored the tech reports and what motivated their decision.
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:26 AM   #1314
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
don't disagree with much of this, except the perception on the winner for 2018

England has a great bid, but to be fair the Russian and Spanish bids are bloody good too.

Only one I can see causing a stigma is if Qatar win 2022. The tech report is far too damning to ignore, and if the exco endorse the bid, they will have to explain how they completely ignored the tech reports and what motivated their decision.
I agree that any Qatar victory in 2022 will be very damning for FIFA.

The point I was making is that the English media are not exactly friendly and failure to deliver the 2018 for them will likely just see them try and tear the process to sheds. Qatar winning 2022 will also bring a very negative reaction from many, but we will just have to wait and see what happens in December
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:06 AM   #1315
_X_

As far as FIFA money from the US v Oz,there won't be much in it.The LOC gets the money from tickets sales not FIFA.
We give FIFA far more power to demand higher sponsors agreements because of the fact that our very timezone has 75% of the globes population.
Regarding who will host either edition,its still totally up for grabs but the last 2 from each would shock many people.

Of all the bids we have the best economy to present to FIFA for their consideration.Who knows who will be following Ireland and Portugal?
Also seems that tickets will be very cheap here too as we leave the USD in our wake
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:35 AM   #1316
MysteryMike
BANNED

Old November 21st, 2010, 12:51 PM   #1317
MysteryMike
BANNED

OFC is committed to growing football at community and school level throughout the Pacific. To this end, OFC has developed a unique grassroots programme called ‘Just Play' which promotes physical activity for primary-aged children while encouraging community involvement and healthy living. ‘Just Play’ is designed for children aged 6-12 and is based around structured activity programmes as well as the distribution of equipment packs containing balls, cones, bibs, activity manuals and other resources that enable children to play football at anytime and in any situation. Volunteers and teachers, who are trained by OFC in cooperation with its member associations, provide tuition for students on how to develop games skills and lead healthier lives. ‘Just Play’ certificates and equipments bags are handed out at the at the end of each course. The initiative is led by OFC Head of Social Responsibility Franck Castillo, Technical Coordinator Colin Tuaa and Just Play consultant Vania Kenning.

The success of the 'Just Play' programme is based on key partnerships. OFC is working closely with the Government of Australia – through its agencies the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) and the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) – and Football Federation Australia (FFA) to roll out the programme across the Pacific. OFC also works closely with the member association, department of education and local community leaders wherever possible. An important aspect of the 'Just Play' program is the pro-active fostering of the development in local clubs and associations which remain the primary source of the game’s grass-roots and elite development strength throughout Oceania. Therefore, clubs and associations will be integrated into an overarching retention strategy that provides them with direct access to 'Just Play' children via the school program, and the opportunity to promote their club to a targeted and captive audience. This will be facilitated by inviting local clubs to meet with school teachers, children and parents who are attending the program during the final two weeks of each 'Just Play' activity. The local club can provide to the school teacher, children and their parents information about other fun football activities which are available for them after their 'Just Play' experience. In some instances club members may also be part of the program delivery team which will provide even greater opportunity to promote their club benefits to would be potential club members.

http://www.oceaniafootball.com/ofc/D...y/Default.aspx

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 21st, 2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM   #1318
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
I somehow doubt the USA will cancel baseball and potentially the NBA play-offs to accommodate the world cup.

Such a ruling might make sense in a small city, but it pretty stupid overall.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM   #1319
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
I somehow doubt the USA will cancel baseball and potentially the NBA play-offs to accommodate the world cup.

Such a ruling might make sense in a small city, but it pretty stupid overall.
Is baseball also happening in Japan at that time of year?
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:55 PM   #1320
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1921

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Is baseball also happening in Japan at that time of year?
Yes. Rugby too, I believe, although crowds are much lower.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  

Closed Thread