daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 21st, 2010, 10:32 PM   #1321
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

MysteryMike no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:21 AM   #1322
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Nice
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:26 AM   #1323
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

image hosted on flickr
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:09 AM   #1324
_X_

Meanwhile , FIFA president Sepp Blatter is in Brazil for a meeting with the three South American ExCo members.

Blatter, who doesn’t want Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup, will be doing all he can to persuade them not to be part of a Spain 2018-Qatar vote-trading alliance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...#ixzz15z5T1z5f
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:31 AM   #1325
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Two of the more interesting things to come out from reports have been:

- The Draw is likely to be at the Sydney Opera House
- The Media centre is likely to be at the Southern Cross Building in Melbourne (must be space provided by the Vic State Govt), with nearly all the Grand Hyatt booked out by FIFA.

The draw was fairly obvious it would be their, but the Melbourne Convention Centre might still be in for a shot at one of the draws.

The media centre is an interesting choice, especially given the fact that so many said the Vic govt did nothing for the bid. I think that, as seen in a few WCs over time, the networks tend to go their own way though, booking other facilities in, sometimes anyway, other cities. In Sth Africa for instance, some set up in Jo'burg, others in Cape Town. It was all about choice. I can see most being blinded by finding a location with the Opera House and SHB if Australia wins the bid
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:43 AM   #1326
MysteryMike
BANNED

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 23rd, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:44 AM   #1327
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post

- The Media centre is likely to be at the Southern Cross Building in Melbourne (must be space provided by the Vic State Govt), with nearly all the Grand Hyatt booked out by FIFA.

The draw was fairly obvious it would be their, but the Melbourne Convention Centre might still be in for a shot at one of the draws.

The media centre is an interesting choice, especially given the fact that so many said the Vic govt did nothing for the bid. I think that, as seen in a few WCs over time, the networks tend to go their own way though, booking other facilities in, sometimes anyway, other cities. In Sth Africa for instance, some set up in Jo'burg, others in Cape Town. It was all about choice. I can see most being blinded by finding a location with the Opera House and SHB if Australia wins the bid
All sounds good for 2026!!
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:52 AM   #1328
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Yeah for the US when they finally get those government guarantees through and might be able to launch another bid with such precision as the Australian bid, although I personally believe Egypt will be given the go for the event, ahead of a crumbling nation who doesn't have the game as the number 1 sport, infact it is a minnow sport and where their team has achieved nothing in world football. These are not characteristics of multiple world cup hosts.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:33 AM   #1329
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Yeah for the US when they finally get those government guarantees through and might be able to launch another bid with such precision as the Australian bid, although I personally believe Egypt will be given the go for the event, ahead of a crumbling nation who doesn't have the game as the number 1 sport, in fact it is a minnow sport and where their team has achieved nothing in world football. These are not characteristics of multiple world cup hosts.
you are aware Mike that the "crumbling nation" of the USA still has a higher per capita income than we do ($46k compared to $45k), and that is in the depths of the recession in 2009

also I'm pretty sure the USA team has achieved more to date than the Socceroos have

oh, and before you start banging on about USA's debt again, you are aware that the USA's external debt is around $44k per capita. Compare that to the UK which is around $147k per capita.

if you are going to boost our bid, great, but don't bag the USA with idiotic claims that don't stand up to even the lightest of scrutiny. its just plain embarrassing.
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:50 AM   #1330
_X_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Unfortunately we won't get that option,whereas the USA is the stand out bid from CONCACAF,there are many options in Asia.FIFA will know that the USA will get 2026 uncontested,

Thats why we have to make it count because we just won't get another chance.Anyway its our 100th birthday of the National Team on June 17,2022
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:05 AM   #1331
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
you are aware Mike that the "crumbling nation" of the USA still has a higher per capita income than we do ($46k compared to $45k), and that is in the depths of the recession in 2009

also I'm pretty sure the USA team has achieved more to date than the Socceroos have

oh, and before you start banging on about USA's debt again, you are aware that the USA's external debt is around $44k per capita. Compare that to the UK which is around $147k per capita.

if you are going to boost our bid, great, but don't bag the USA with idiotic claims that don't stand up to even the lightest of scrutiny. its just plain embarrassing.
Buddy try multiplying those figures properly and then try posting them. I don't like this per capita garbage, if you want to go per capita then I'm sure Qatarson will come in and go Qatar should host the world cup because they have the highest per capita income out of all the nations involved, but we all know that's garbage, as are your so called FACTS
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:13 AM   #1332
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:

I think FIFA would love the draw at the Sydney Opera House, but having worked behind the scenes on the Final Draw in Cape Town, its the seating capacity indicated which will may exclude the Opera House from being the final draw venue, barring a temporary venue outside to seat 5,000.

I think the IBC will be accommodate inside the Sydney Olympic Park due to its proximity to Telstra stadium or the Sydney Exhibition Centre given its proximity to hotels or the Melbourne Exhibition Centre, given its location.

The IBC choice, may simply come down to politics and where FIFA wants the IBC to be located. FIFA do not want a repeat of South Africa 2010, where its IBC in Johannesburg, was slapped in the face by BBC, SBS and other broadcasters choosing to broadcast from Cape Town. CT provided a better IBC bid with thousands of hotel rooms within walking distance where as there were zero hotels around Soccer City and the IBC. This may see the Sydney Exhibition Centre or Melbourne Exhibition Centre preferred to Homebush.

If I had my way

- Prelim Draw: Melbourne
- Final Draw: Sydney (if the Opera House can accommodate 5,000)
- IBC/MPC: Sydney (including formal studios/broadcast space in most host cities)
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:37 AM   #1333
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Where did Australia have the media centres for the Sydney and Melbourne Olympic games?
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:04 PM   #1334
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Where did Australia have the media centres for the Sydney and Melbourne Olympic games?
off memory Darling Harbour for Sydney. No idea what happened back in '56
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:08 PM   #1335
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
I think FIFA would love the draw at the Sydney Opera House, but having worked behind the scenes on the Final Draw in Cape Town, its the seating capacity indicated which will may exclude the Opera House from being the final draw venue, barring a temporary venue outside to seat 5,000.

I think the IBC will be accommodate inside the Sydney Olympic Park due to its proximity to Telstra stadium or the Sydney Exhibition Centre given its proximity to hotels or the Melbourne Exhibition Centre, given its location.

The IBC choice, may simply come down to politics and where FIFA wants the IBC to be located. FIFA do not want a repeat of South Africa 2010, where its IBC in Johannesburg, was slapped in the face by BBC, SBS and other broadcasters choosing to broadcast from Cape Town. CT provided a better IBC bid with thousands of hotel rooms within walking distance where as there were zero hotels around Soccer City and the IBC. This may see the Sydney Exhibition Centre or Melbourne Exhibition Centre preferred to Homebush.

If I had my way

- Prelim Draw: Melbourne
- Final Draw: Sydney (if the Opera House can accommodate 5,000)
- IBC/MPC: Sydney (including formal studios/broadcast space in most host cities)
The forecourt of the Opera House has been the scene for the Australian Idol grand finals, plus it will be where Oprah does her Sydney shows at the end of the year.

No idea how many it hold in total. I know the Oprah crowd is 3,000+
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:13 PM   #1336
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
The forecourt of the Opera House has been the scene for the Australian Idol grand finals, plus it will be where Oprah does her Sydney shows at the end of the year.

Yip I remember those Idols finals.

If it can accommodate the media and their equipment it would be quite amazing.

Of course Sydney will have to pay for all the costs of this temporary venue AND secure the entire site.

Cape Town used 8,000sqm for the Draw Hall. Another 2,500 sqm for the Media working areas and press conferences
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:17 PM   #1337
T74

Quote:

Of course Sydney will have to pay for all the costs of this temporary venue AND secure the entire site.

Cape Town used 8,000sqm for the Draw Hall. Another 2,500 sqm for the Media working areas and press conferences
Space would be the only issue, if it is one - NSW Govt would throw money at an event like that. They are spending $4m to bring Oprah down here, and you would get better global publicity with the FIFA draw.
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:19 PM   #1338
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:

Didn't it also hold a FIFA Congress two years back?

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 23rd, 2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1339
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1108

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Space would be the only issue, if it is one - NSW Govt would throw money at an event like that. They are spending $4m to bring Oprah down here, and you would get better global publicity with the FIFA draw.
It's a very flexible space. Remember up 250 000 people saw Crowded House play there in 1996.

Last edited by Walbanger; November 22nd, 2010 at 02:45 PM.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:53 PM   #1340
T74

good call - forgot all about the Crowded House gig
T74 no está en línea  

Closed Thread