daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:47 AM   #1381
Gondolier

Likes (Received): 0

Seems very desperate to me.
Gondolier no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:58 AM   #1382
Shambolic
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Seems very desperate to me.
Kinda like you?
Shambolic no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:03 AM   #1383
MysteryMike
BANNED

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 23rd, 2010 at 08:12 AM.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1384
MysteryMike
BANNED

First and foremost, the cumulative television audience in Asia for the World Cup was in the billions last time around and the continent accounted for the largest chunk of that audience at 32.2%.

The move from Asia to Europe between the 2002 and 2006 World Cups saw a 9% fall in the total television audience for the tournament.

Australia has an advantage in that it will boast friendly kick-off times for the majority of the Asian continent, which can only have a positive effect on those statistics. Given that a Fifa earn millions of dollars from attracting global sponsors based on such figures, it should be a key consideration in their decision (they admitted as much in their recently released reports on the bids).

Secondly, Australia represents an unconquered front for the Fifa machine, a potential bridge to developing the game further not only in Asia but Oceania as well (the latter in particular needs attention across all areas).

The 2000 Olympic Games meanwhile proved the country's capacity for hosting major sporting events, which it has a history of doing superbly well.

"The fact is, there's nothing wrong with the Australian bid itself: it is an incredibly safe option for Fifa, who can kill a number of birds with one stone.

"Whether it's boosting Asian television audiences, expanding the game to a new frontier or simply improving the governing body's image by gifting the tournament to a country that is probably considered an outsider, Fifa really need to ask themselves why they shouldn't bring football's showpiece event down under. (Chris Paraskevas, Goal.com International)

"Of course, much will depend on the political machinations involved in the bid process and on that we really can't comment. The big question is whether FFA chairman Frank Lowy and his staff have made a lasting impression on the Fifa executive committee behind the scenes, as it'll ultimately be their votes that count at the end of the day."

If Fifa wants a fresh choice, Australia could be the winning bid. (June-Hea Hahhn, Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) commentator)

www.goal.com
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:43 AM   #1385
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
Seems both Australia's main rivals will play WC's in 50 degree heat
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...521962,00.html

Qatar hit back at US
Rival bidders clash over heat debate

Last updated: 22nd November 2010 Subscribe to RSS Feed
Qatar hit back at US

Bin Hammam: Not happy
SKY SPORTS ON SKY

Fifa executive committee members from Qatar and USA have clashed ahead of the World Cup vote next month.

Qatar and USA are among the nations bidding for the 2022 World Cup finals, which will be decided on 2nd December.

The latest row engulfing the process, which has been dogged by controversy, has seen Fifa member Chuck Blazer from the United States suggest that Qatar was too hot to host the finals.

"You can air-condition a stadium, but I don't see how you can air-condition an entire country," Blazer is quoted as saying.

Angered by Blazer's comments , Mohamed Bin Hammam, the Qatari head of the Asian Football Confederation and a Fifa executive committee member, suggested that the US bid was in no position to condemn anyone.
Challenges

"When my counterpart asked me about my response to the news that my country's bid was once more criticised due to Qatar's hot weather and the danger it may contribute toward players' and officials' health, I reminded him of two things," Bin Hammam wrote on his own blog.

"One: the technological developments and solutions that Qatar would apply to its stadiums in order to overcome the challenges of the heat.

"Two: whether or not he remembers the 1994 World Cup in the United States, where some of the matches were played at midday in temperatures as high as 50 degrees Celsius.

"When he told me that he remembers, I asked him whether or not anyone had criticised the US for putting the players' and officials' health in danger.

"On the contrary, even the American fans forgot about the heat, and, yet, applied for another World Cup posting in less than 16 years from the time they last hosted."

Australia's average temperature in the 10 host cities at World Cup time-19 degrees

Now I'm sorry to say this but this Article has to be wrong about about 50 degree heat in the U.S. maybe that's right in Qatar but not in the U.S. Like most cities in the U.S. even in the sunbelt don't even have record temps that high. Some journalist is lying is right here because there is no record of it ever being 50 degress in any of the cities that held matches in the 1994 World Cup not ever.
sweet-d no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:27 AM   #1386
MysteryMike
BANNED

Heat was a major issue at the USA 1994 event, but I also doubt whether it got to the same temperatures as Qatar, Qatar can hardly have qualifiers over there in cooler months (also it's even played at night time) without the opposition looking like sweating hogs and struggling. Australia also has the advantage of having the ideal climate to host the world cup in 2022 in order to protect all the players. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...teams-training

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 23rd, 2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:32 AM   #1387
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambolic View Post
Kinda like you?
I guess it takes one to know one, then.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:58 AM   #1388
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

Yeah I do agree that heat definitely is an issue but that article is wrong about 50 degree Celcuis thats 122 farenheit us Americans. It's never been that hot in any of the host cities what there saying is impossible. Now i hope the U.S. gets the World Cup but, I think it's gonna go to Australia. Now I do agree that heat in America like 32 Celcius would definitely affect European players but I guess that's dome stadiums were made for. I don't think heat will be the deciding factor though it will be because Australia has never hosted a World Cup. Now I don't know what I would do if Qatar got the World Cup.
sweet-d no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:05 AM   #1389
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-d View Post
Yeah I do agree that heat definitely is an issue but that article is wrong about 50 degree Celcuis thats 122 farenheit us Americans. It's never been that hot in any of the host cities what there saying is impossible. Now i hope the U.S. gets the World Cup but, I think it's gonna go to Australia. Now I do agree that heat in America like 32 Celcius would definitely affect European players but I guess that's dome stadiums were made for. I don't think heat will be the deciding factor though it will be because Australia has never hosted a World Cup. Now I don't know what I would do if Qatar got the World Cup.
It was infact written by Mohammed Bin Hammam,the Qatari ExCo,in his blog.
I don't recall it being 50,I doubt you guys would have recorded such temperatures,but I can recall it being bloody hot.Blazer is correct,you can't air condition the whole country,and so MBH raises a legitimate point-this will be the case outside some of the USA stadia as well
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:28 AM   #1390
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1111

Quote:
It was infact written by Mohammed Bin Hammam,the Qatari ExCo,in his blog.
I don't recall it being 50,I doubt you guys would have recorded such temperatures,but I can recall it being bloody hot.Blazer is correct,you can't air condition the whole country,and so MBH raises a legitimate point-this will be the case outside some of the USA stadia as well
Not really, he just bullshitted. 32 degrees is not ideal but hardly a health risk to the players or fans. World Cup games in Europe have reached the low 30's. These players have elite fitness and the fans just need to wear a hat, sun glasses and sunblock. the USA, Japan and Korea are fine. Qatar in 46 degrees and 80% humidity is in another world to the other 3 and certainly a point of concern, you just can't keep 600 000 traveling fans to the designated shaded air-con areas.

Australia is obviously in our mild winter.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:34 AM   #1391
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolsilludo View Post
what that clip didn't show is the reason the net broke

just when we had the momentum and flow of the game in our favour, this serial pest called Peter Hore ran out on the pitch and started hanging from goal, breaking the net and holding up play for 5 mins. once play started we just weren't the same

the guy is hated in this country. basically cost us a WC spot, and in addition has done the following:

- ran onto the track during the 1997 Melbourne Cup (biggest horse race of the year) to protest animal cruelty
- gatecrashed Michael Hutchence's funeral in 1997 claiming to be Jesus
- gatecrashed TJ Smith's funeral in 1998 (he was one of our most successful horse trainers)
- disrupted the 2000 Australian Open mens final by running onto centre court and being a dick
- stripped in the chamber of the SA parliament in 2000
- run onto the course of the mens marathon at the 2000 Sydney Olympics waving a stick and a didgeridoo
- jumped on the stage with Limp Bizkit at the 2001 Big Day Out, stripping and throwing sex dolls.
- 2001 ran onto the pitch on the ODI between Australia and the West Indies wearing a bra
- Ran on the runway of a lingerie parade in 2001 to harass Sarah Murdoch (daughter in law of Rupert)
- in 2006, wearing a Ned Kelly helmet he rode a tricycle with a cage of cats onto the pitch of an NRL game kicking the ball
- in 2006 interrupted the Cole Inquiry into the AWB/Saddam Hussien kickbacks claiming to be the next Prime Minister
- in 2007 interrupted a uni lecture claiming he ate his own semen on Australian Idol
- in 2007 jumped into the Brisbane River during a festival
- invaded the pitch at an NRL game again in 2008
- interrupted the Newcastle Council meeting in 2009
- interrupted the NSW Parliament in 2009

I cannot find the footage, but the only good thing he ever did was get clocked in a few of the incidents. He is hated in Australia, is officially banned from just about every public event we have, and is a giant massive dick
T74 no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM   #1392
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
Not really, he just bullshitted. 32 degrees is not ideal but hardly a health risk to the players or fans. World Cup games in Europe have reached the low 30's. These players have elite fitness and the fans just need to wear a hat, sun glasses and sunblock. the USA, Japan and Korea are fine. Qatar in 46 degrees and 80% humidity is in another world to the other 3 and certainly a point of concern, you just can't keep 600 000 traveling fans to the designated shaded air-con areas.

Fair enough WB.There were only a handful of host cities that were a bit hot at that time of year anyway iirc
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:31 PM   #1393
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolsilludo View Post
Let's not start arguing about football achievements that my country wins by a landslide to yours!!!.
Well, if you're so insistent about keeping on topic, in terms of being able to host World Class sporting events their country wins by a landslide over yours.

Australia is

1. In a better position than the USA was prior to 1994 in terms of domestic support and league set-up.

2. A country which is improving in the sport and had a decent enough showing at the last world cup.

All of your arguments in this thread about their league and their team are nonsense and hardly relevent given the acheivements of their rivals for 2022, which aren't much, if at all, greater. Australia is more than good enough to host a world cup.

Last edited by RobH; November 23rd, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:57 PM   #1394
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
First and foremost, the cumulative television audience in Asia for the World Cup was in the billions last time around and the continent accounted for the largest chunk of that audience at 32.2%.

The move from Asia to Europe between the 2002 and 2006 World Cups saw a 9% fall in the total television audience for the tournament.
First and foremost, what matters in tv deals and sponsorship is how much people will pay, not how many are watching.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:52 PM   #1395
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post

Yes it will be winter in Australia (the same case applied to this years world cup in South Africa)

USA & Qatar however are in their summer months (HOT, especially Qatar). Although the USA might have 3-4 Indoor "Climate-Controlled" stadiums (Not sure if even eco-friendly), Qatar has all 12 of them Outdoor and cooled by eco-friendly & Carbon neutral technologies. Not to mention all stadiums have roofs for fans to be sheltered from the sun. Games will be played in 27 degrees.

So I know (since I am in Qatar and Qatari national ) That the bid is doing its best to tackle this issue (all they can), and so far it guaranteed comfortable matches, training sites & fan zones. in addition to cooled & shaded pathways between stadiums and metro stations.

obviously transport & accommodation all have air-conditioning.

The weather wouldn't be a major issue unless your leaving the city to for example the desert (desert safari, dune bashing etc.)
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:14 PM   #1396
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
First and foremost, what matters in tv deals and sponsorship is how much people will pay, not how many are watching.
PLUS, it's the buying POWER of the audiences watching...not just 2.5 billion penniless Bangladeshi, Pakistanis, Indians, etc. who can hardly buy their next meal.

Obviously, many people here have not even taken Marketing 101.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:12 PM   #1397
Bolsilludo
Yo ♥ Europa & Cono Sur

Likes (Received): 4861

Quote:
Stupid thing is Uruguay may be relying on a vote from Australia and Oceania in 8 years.

CONO SUR
CHILE - ARGENTINA - URUGUAY
Bolsilludo no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM   #1398
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

Another one who thinks being a prick on the internet will make people warm to the idea of a world cup in his nation. I'd love to know the logic behind this, because there seem to be many taking this particular approach.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:30 PM   #1399
Bolsilludo
Yo ♥ Europa & Cono Sur

Likes (Received): 4861

NRL, AFL could hurt World Cup bid

Posted November 21, 2010 15:56:00

Australia's bid to host the 2022 World Cup may be hindered by the NRL and AFL seasons as well as the celebration of the Queen's Birthday in June, FIFA has indicated in its evaluation report.

Wimbledon has also been earmarked as a potential problem for England's bid to host the 2018 finals, which, like the AFL and NRL campaigns, would take place during the tournament.

FIFA's evaluation of Australia signalled a clash with the NRL and AFL campaigns, and it says this and the Queen's Birthday could affect both public attention and available resources.

Dates for the month-long showpiece event have not been set but they have typically straddled June into July.

- AAP

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...ction=football

CONO SUR
CHILE - ARGENTINA - URUGUAY
Bolsilludo no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1400
dutchmaster
world citizen

Likes (Received): 9

It would be great to see Australia hosting the 2022 WC. I think they're very capable to do that and the sport is getting more and more popular between the australians, I could see that in the WC this year.

Closed Thread