daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 11th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #141
aus16

Likes (Received): 2

and the best part about this design is that with the NRL's average crowds, the ends could be constructed during the season while still having a 60,000 seat stadium and the roof could be done during the summer
aus16 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #142
kennerado

Likes (Received): 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9obunaoJvOo

This is the new bid video that was shown in Cape Town.
kennerado no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #143
Ragarms

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout View Post
Infrastructure wise i think the mcg is not as good as what sydney has to offer
:facepalm:

Ragarms no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #144
Bump

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
I really don't know what the Premier knows but writing to him or the Sports minister is a waste of time as they just they only give "copy and paste" reponses. There is obviously a close relationship between the Government and the Western Australian Football Commission (WAFC) else I fail to understand their logic. The WAFC want to keep their lease of the Subiaco land which they pay a next to nothing for. What I don't understand is why the WAFC are happy for a long staged rebuild to something that will be aesthetically appalling and will significantly reduce capacity for over 2 to 3 years. It is know and stated by all sides that Perth needs at least a 55000 seat stadium just to keep up with current support. The West Coast Eagles have to cap their membership and have 10000 on the waiting list. Why in the world would they be happy to see subi reduced to 30 000 and in the process, lose revenue and alienate fans, they're hard enough to see at the moment as it is.
Any new stadium would be controlled by an independent committee. Thus, taking control out of WAFC's (Eagles & Dockers) hands. That is why they want a progressive rebuild. They want to keep things as is, with themselves controlling the stadium.
Bump no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #145
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennerado View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9obunaoJvOo

This is the new bid video that was shown in Cape Town.
Nicole Kidman's a bitch.

Do we really need a botoxed ferret selling our country?
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #146
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 995

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Nicole Kidman's a bitch.

Do we really need a botoxed ferret selling our country?
I don't dislike her, but i thought she was a strange choice TBH.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #147
spiralout

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragarms View Post
:facepalm:

??? are you disputing my suggestion that stadium australia or whatever it is they call it now would be better then the mcg? I think with the proposed roof and the seating arrangements it would be.

I know they were talking about making changes to the mcg, but until they do I'd have to say that Stadium australia would be better for hosting the soccer then the mcg

Not including the main stadium, I have no doubt that melbourne would be a better city to host the soccer in then sydney however. Its far more passoinate about sport in general, especially when it comes to soccer. the city is also really set up for hosting large events
spiralout no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #148
Chuq

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:
??? are you disputing my suggestion that stadium australia or whatever it is they call it now would be better then the mcg? I think with the proposed roof and the seating arrangements it would be.

I know they were talking about making changes to the mcg, but until they do I'd have to say that Stadium australia would be better for hosting the soccer then the mcg

Not including the main stadium, I have no doubt that melbourne would be a better city to host the soccer in then sydney however. Its far more passoinate about sport in general, especially when it comes to soccer. the city is also really set up for hosting large events
Up until this week, I was 100% supportive of the MCG hosting the final - if they replaced the lower tier with adjustable seating that would seal the deal. But after the last week, I've gone a complete 180. Melbourne (AFL's) media circus as well as the Stadium Australia redesign - Sydney all the way now.
Chuq no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #149
RUM
and COKE please

These dumbasses at the NRL and AFL don't realise that this is a great opportunity to get compensated (which is what they are trying to do by bitching) but also to expand their markets and play AFL games in Tasmania, Darwin, Alice Springs, New Zealand ?? as part of the regular season for a few weeks. Why not??

Same goes for State of Origin. I've always felt that they should play a game in Townsville or somewhere outside of the major centres of Sydney and Brisbane.

WA = new stadium (Glory + Force)
Adelaide = Ade Oval redev

Melbourne + Gold Coast are both in real crap situations regarding their rectangular stadiums. More dumbasses!!

There is no chance Australia is getting 2018 anyway. Not with Milton Keynes being part of the England bid.
RUM no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #150
Sportsfan

Likes (Received): 51

The AFL have gone just a bit too hysterical if you ask me. Its turning into a personal vendetta by Demetriou against his former colleague Buckley and because Demetriou is a giant douche who can't even come up with his own compromise. Instead of whingeing and miserepresenting (the FFA never suggested lowering the surface of the MCG) what really occurred at the meetings between the FFA and AFL, he could be sitting with AFL powerbrokers and brainstorming some outstanding ways to work the season around a possible World Cup timeline.

If I was the AFL I would look at a World Cup as providing some huge benefits such as: having upgrades to general infrastructure around its main stadia in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth; having a brilliant new Adelaide Oval; the opportunity to break up a season into 2 sections and seeing what ways they could make the most of it.

And that's my two cents.
Sportsfan no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #151
spiralout

i think the afl feels a particulary large threat from soccer to their market. They feel no such threat from nrl because its never looked like becoming more prominent then afl. However soccer could be a real pandoras box for the afl and there are various commentators who think that soccer could become australias biggest sport.

I think the last thing the afl wants is for an australian world cup. I see no reason for them to want to be co-operative, as its a major threat to their business
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #152
ross_the_man

Likes (Received): 88

However, it is a good oppurtunity to expose their game to a foreign market as the World Cup has a huge amount of tourists.
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #153
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
i think the afl feels a particulary large threat from soccer to their market. They feel no such threat from nrl because its never looked like becoming more prominent then afl. However soccer could be a real pandoras box for the afl and there are various commentators who think that soccer could become australias biggest sport.

I think the last thing the afl wants is for an australian world cup. I see no reason for them to want to be co-operative, as its a major threat to their business
The AFL obviously hold some weight locally but AFL vs. FIFA. Guess the winner?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #154
Ragarms

Quote:
??? are you disputing my suggestion that stadium australia or whatever it is they call it now would be better then the mcg?
Absolutely. And you did say 'infrastructure', not 'stadium design'.

MCG hosts crowds of up to 90k most weeks.
Right next to the CBD.
Serviced by a couple of rail lines, plenty of trams, and is walking distance from the 'action' regardless.
Surrounded by a couple of hundred pubs and bars and restaurants.
Centrally located - crowd dispersal is fluid in all directions.
There is no better stadium infrastructure in Australia.

ANZ/Homebush hosts crowds of nearly 10k weekly.
Miles away from the CBD.
Serviced by one rail line (which isn't on a previously existing route) which (as previously posted) has a queue a mile long after each big event.
Has ONE 'mega-bar' set up in the adjacent hotel, with ONE toilet.

Sorry, went the WCQ in '05 and seriously, Homebush is an utter disaster when it comes to hosting major events.

Do you want me to go into greater detail about how Sydney turned what should have been one of the greatest nights of my life into a pathetic saga?

I could go on?

Ragarms no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #155
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Say FIFA came for there stadium/infrustructure inspection and said the MCG was not suitable and would play no part in a tournament knowing all to well that Melbourne would need a stadium capable of hosting past group stages and would force the government to build them a shiny new 80,000+ Rectangular stadium.
This of course would be seen as a white elaphant post the tournament. But I was just thinking this may in fact not be. It could fill what by then will be the only gap in melbournes sporting infrustructure, a large Rectangular stadium. As well as winning Melbourne the World Cup Final it would get use for Football/Rugby internationals, A league Blockbusters (Finals, Derby, v Sydney, v Adelaide, etc..), ACL, NRL blockbusters/finals, Super 15 blockbusters, Future Rugby world cup, be a massive bennafit for any future Olympic bid (Football final) or any football tournament bid (Asian Cup, Club World Cup, etc..), and may even cater for Melbourne Victory or any other Football/rugby teams home ground if they outgrow swan street stadium.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #156
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1124

Quote:
No need to bullshit when stating a point.. I love the G but I'd say it only gets 80 000+ 8 times a year at the most.
AFL GF
AFL Preliminary Final (none to maybe 2)
ANZAC Day (Essendon vs Collingwood)
Boxing Day Test (maybe multible days)
Carlton vs Collingwood
International Soccer or Rugby Union (not every year)
Depending on how Richmond are going, they may pull 80 000+ crowds against Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon. (AFL)
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #157
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
No need to bullshit when stating a point.. I love the G but I'd say it only gets 80 000+ 8 times a year at the most.
AFL GF
AFL Preliminary Final (none to maybe 2)
ANZAC Day (Essendon vs Collingwood)
Boxing Day Test (maybe multible days)
Carlton vs Collingwood
International Soccer or Rugby Union (not every year)
Depending on how Richmond are going, they may pull 80 000+ crowds against Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon. (AFL)
Actually Boxing Day never gets 80,000.In fact,80,000 was cracked in the last Ashes series for the first time in 30 odd years.

Anyway,Give me Homebush over the MCG anyday.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #158
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Say FIFA came for there stadium/infrustructure inspection and said the MCG was not suitable and would play no part in a tournament knowing all to well that Melbourne would need a stadium capable of hosting past group stages and would force the government to build them a shiny new 80,000+ Rectangular stadium.
Can't they increase the cap at Etihad?

I actually think the MCG is fine and with some tweaks would be great.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #159
magic_johnson

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Can't they increase the cap at Etihad?

How??
Maybe take the scoreboards or corpo out? Might be able to get it to 60,000?
magic_johnson no está en línea  
Old December 19th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #160
spiralout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragarms View Post
Absolutely. And you did say 'infrastructure', not 'stadium design'.

Right next to the CBD.
Serviced by a couple of rail lines, plenty of trams, and is walking distance from the 'action' regardless.
Surrounded by a couple of hundred pubs and bars and restaurants.
Centrally located - crowd dispersal is fluid in all directions.
There is no better stadium infrastructure in Australia.

ANZ/Homebush hosts crowds of nearly 10k weekly.
Miles away from the CBD.
Serviced by one rail line (which isn't on a previously existing route) which (as previously posted) has a queue a mile long after each big event.
Has ONE 'mega-bar' set up in the adjacent hotel, with ONE toilet.

Sorry, went the WCQ in '05 and seriously, Homebush is an utter disaster when it comes to hosting major events.

Do you want me to go into greater detail about how Sydney turned what should have been one of the greatest nights of my life into a pathetic saga?

I could go on?

Quote:
Infrastructure wise i think the mcg is not as good as what sydney has to offer

Despite the fact that sydney did a great job with the olympics melbourne is more of a sporting and events city then sydney is.

Melbourne has a large soccer base due to there being ethnic immigrants. If you look at the crowds in the A-league Melbourne far and away have the biggest attendance figures.

if you look at my other quotes i said that melbourne would be a better city to host the world cup in. For reasons such as transport, the fact that its a city built for major sporting events where as sydney is not, and melbourne is also more passionate about soccer and sport in general

However if you look at the stadiums by themselves then what sydney is offering is better then the mcg. It meets fifa requirements better and has a roof

Closed Thread