daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:34 AM   #1
asohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: N/A
Posts: 946
Likes (Received): 24

NEW YORK-NEW JERSEY | PATH

Newark Penn Station




In the 60s:


Journal Square




Grove St







Exchange Place
Enterance:








In the 60s:


Pavonia/Newport
Enterance:








Hoboken




In the 70s:


In the 50s:


World Trade Center











Original WTC Station:






Christopher St



14th St




23rd St






33rd St




In the 60s:
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #2
JohnnyMass
Whatever
 
JohnnyMass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Porto
Posts: 46,038
Likes (Received): 1497

handy if you live in jersey! the tunnels are frightening though...
__________________
Edit my Signature
JohnnyMass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #3
samsonyuen
SSLL
 
samsonyuen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canary Wharf > CityPlace
Posts: 8,350
Likes (Received): 314

Nice. Are there many stations in NY?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #4
micro
Registered User
 
micro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamburg, .de Home: everywhere
Posts: 1,259
Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by asohn
Some stations look really cute!
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:05 PM   #5
mr_storms
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Jose/Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,321
Likes (Received): 4

good to see some path pictures. It seems they could use some new trains
mr_storms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:51 AM   #6
asohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: N/A
Posts: 946
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Nice. Are there many stations in NY?
The Stations in NYC are:
World Trade Center
Christopher St
9th St
14th St
23rd St
33rd St

In New Jersey:
Penn Station - Newark
Harrison - Harrison
Journal Square - Jersey City
Grove St - Jersey City
Exchange Place - Jersey City
Pavonia/Newport - Jersey City
Hoboken - Hoboken
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #7
asohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: N/A
Posts: 946
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_storms
good to see some path pictures. It seems they could use some new trains
New cars are currently being developed, and should arrive in 2008. They're modeled after the new NYC subway cars, the R142/R143, and being built by the same company, Kawasaki.

asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:08 AM   #8
Homer J. Simpson
Registered User
 
Homer J. Simpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sector 7-G
Posts: 2,465
Likes (Received): 18

That whole NYC and NJ area is really spectacular in terms of PT. The systems are so huge and far reaching.

Those new cars a pretty snazzy too.
__________________

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #9
Brice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,642
Likes (Received): 168

It's not a subway but a suburban train
Brice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:31 AM   #10
mad_nick
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 195
Likes (Received): 16

^ It's most definitely a subway, just because it goes outside the city limits doesn't disqualify it from the subway definition. If it did, many subways around the world, including London, Paris and Boston wouldn't be subways.

One thing the MTA could learn from the Port Authority is how to clean the stations, they look spotless compared to most NYCT subway stations.
mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #11
asohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: N/A
Posts: 946
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice
It's not a subway but a suburban train
It's as subway as you can get! There's nothing subruban about it.
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #12
yuletidefun2005
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7
Likes (Received): 0

jesus, look at the garbage on the tracks!!
yuletidefun2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #13
asohn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: N/A
Posts: 946
Likes (Received): 24

^ Where?
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:16 AM   #14
sfgadv02
Registered User
 
sfgadv02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NY/HK
Posts: 755
Likes (Received): 44

Good to see them getting new trains, about time too!
__________________
// Oh the IRONY!11! \\
sfgadv02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:48 AM   #15
Metropolitan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,360
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_nick
^ It's most definitely a subway, just because it goes outside the city limits doesn't disqualify it from the subway definition. If it did, many subways around the world, including London, Paris and Boston wouldn't be subways.
London and Boston, probably, but certainly not Paris. Paris' metro operates strictly inside the historical borders of the city. And the rare extensions outside the historical borders are made in areas which are denser than Central London or Brooklyn.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #16
Frungy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 120
Likes (Received): 10

It's more of a link between Newark downtown, Manhattan downtown, Manhattan midtown, and the suburban railway terminal at Hoboken. So I'd even venture to say that it's an intercity network.
Frungy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #17
mad_nick
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 195
Likes (Received): 16

^ Intercity? That's systems like Amtrak, PATH is completely different.
PATH may connect several cities, but so do several other subway systems, these cities are urban areas that just happens to be outside of the NY city limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan
Paris' metro operates strictly inside the historical borders of the city. And the rare extensions outside the historical borders are made in areas which are denser than Central London or Brooklyn.
If it was strictly within city limits it wouldn't leave the city at all.
mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #18
Metropolitan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,360
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_nick
If it was strictly within city limits it wouldn't leave the city at all.
Do you know that the "suburbs" where goes Paris metro has a density over 20,000 kmē ?
Just for you to know, Manhattan's density is of 25,000 kmē....

If I get mad at your post, it's simply because I'm outraged that Paris has a metro only serving the center of the city. Just to make you understand, it's a bit as if New York's subway was limited to Manhattan.

Paris is a very badly managed city. The city in itself is ridiculously small (very comparable with Manhattan in many aspects). The "suburbs" neighbouring Paris are denser than is Brooklyn in New York. Do you consider Brooklyn as being "suburbs" ? Well in Paris you would.

Here's the density of Paris and its suburbs. I've added in bold the density of few parts of New York City :
  • Manhattan (NYC) : 25,835/kmē
  • Paris (75) : 24,743/kmē
  • Le Pré st-Gervais (93) : 23,735/kmē
  • Levallois-Perret (92) : 22,887/kmē
  • Vincennes (94) : 22,825/kmē
  • Saint-Mandé (94) : 22,131/kmē
  • Montrouge (92) : 17,632/kmē
  • Boulogne-Billancourt (92) : 17,267/kmē
  • Courbevoie (92) : 16,794/kmē
  • Vanves (92) : 16,396/kmē
  • Clichy (92) : 16,239/kmē
  • Neuilly-sur-Seine (92) : 16,219/kmē
  • Les Lilas (93) : 16,052/kmē
  • Asničres-sur-Seine (92) : 15,604/kmē
  • Le Kremlin-Bicętre (94) : 15,506/kmē
  • Issy-les-Moulineaux (92) : 14,588/kmē
  • Charenton-le-Pont (94) : 14,447/kmē
  • Malakoff (94) : 14,273/kmē
  • Gentilly (94) : 14,264/kmē
  • Brooklyn (NYC) : 13,619/kmē
  • La Garenne-Colombes (92) : 13,445/kmē
  • Bagnolet (93) : 12,749/kmē
  • Puteaux (92) : 12,744/kmē
  • Bois-Colombes (92) : 12,312/kmē
  • The Bronx (NYC) : 12,229/kmē
  • Aubervilliers (93) : 10,923/kmē
  • Suresnes (92) : 10,504/kmē
  • Bourg-la-Reine (92) : 10,253/kmē
  • Montreuil (93) : 10,165/kmē
  • Nogent-sur-Marne (94) : 10,104/kmē
  • Epinay-sur-Seine (94) : 10,089/kmē
  • Queens (NYC) : 7,904/kmē
  • Staten Island (NYC) : 2,895/kmē

Would you say that the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, are suburbs of NYC ? If you would apply to NYC the same treatment as the one you apply to Paris, you would.


NB : Paris métro doesn't reach half of the municipalities mentionned in here.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #19
mad_nick
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 195
Likes (Received): 16

^ This has nothing to do with the Paris metro, my only point was that a subway doesn't stop being a subway just because it leaves the administrative city limits, as Brice implied.

I don't doubt that the areas the metro goes to outside of the city are very dense, but that doesn't change the fact that they're outside the city limits. Guttenburg, NJ is the densest municipality in the New York metro area (21,626 people/kmē), but that doesn't change the fact that it's outside the city limits.
mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #20
Metropolitan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,360
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_nick
^ This has nothing to do with the Paris metro, my only point was that a subway doesn't stop being a subway just because it leaves the administrative city limits, as Brice implied.

I don't doubt that the areas the metro goes to outside of the city are very dense, but that doesn't change the fact that they're outside the city limits. Guttenburg, NJ is the densest municipality in the New York metro area (21,626 people/kmē), but that doesn't change the fact that it's outside the city limits.
That's obvious. However, I don't really care of PATH. My point was that Paris métro is the most awful example of a subway "getting into the suburbs". Considering its annual traffic (1.3 billion transit) and its length (220 km), Paris métro is certainly the less extended in the world. What show this the most obviously is that the network doesn't make a star concentrating into the center, as anywhere else in the world. It looks like a maze.

London, Madrid, Moscow or even NYC are better example than Paris is.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium