daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #61
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

i have another idea why these expansions of PATH Rail might work because also for workers to go to the Port of NJ NY in Port Elizabeth there will be a station there at the Port Elizabeth so people who work at the port can get on and get off as well easier mode of transportation and there will be a people mover or trolleybuses that will take the workers to the port area clean and efficent

also for the Staten Island route it will be shared by the Staten Island Railway and also the Staten Island Light Rail

as well also since for the Staten Island Railway can be connect by a tunnel to link with the Bay Ridge subway station in Brooklyn ***

for the inner NJ Route will go where there is currently no rail service or where there only very limited or little connections

so what do all of you think?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #62
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

Compress, dude...or are you working on your post count?

Anyway - I'm not familiar with the NJ surroundings - maybe you could draw a map to illustrate your ideas?
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #63
Songoten2554

sorry about that about the posts i am just trying to bring this point so umm do any of you have ideas i can add or suggest something out of it or help me send something like this to PATH
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #64
Don Omar
Bark twice if in Milwauke

Likes (Received): 36

why would PATH want to extend into NJ; we already have an excellent public transportation system with NJ Transit

current PATH

current MTA Staten Island Railway, which connects to Manhattan with the free Staten Island Ferry

NJ Transit

possible future of NJ Transit

so is there really any need for the Port Authority to add service. Greater public transit connection between the city and jersey would be great, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Otherwise jersey and LIRR riders can keep hoping for a new Penn Station.

Black, White, New York you make it happen

- Beastie Boys

Last edited by Don Omar; April 9th, 2007 at 09:57 AM.
Don Omar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #65
TDude695

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
as well also since for the Staten Island Railway can be connect by a tunnel to link with the Bay Ridge subway station in Brooklyn ***
I'm pretty sure this can't work as a direct connection, as I think that the SIR uses a different rail gauge than the subway. Not 100% sure though.

I guess that the tunnel could be built, then have a transfer at Bay Ridge. A wye track could be built between Grasmere and Clifton, allowing through operation as well as a connection to Brooklyn. There could be three services: St. George - Tottenville, St. George - Bay Ridge, and Tottenville - Bay Ridge. Bay Ridge would obviously be added to St. George and Ball Park as fare-paid stations.

I think it could actually work, now that I think about it.
TDude695 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #66
Songoten2554

well yeah i know that the greater NY and NJ metro area has great transportation options but i am thinking of a more bigger system for PATH one that NJ can count on along with NJ Transit

officially the Port Attionty is investing in an extension of PATH to the Newark Liberty International Airport its already in the works as a plan but will excedd to construction

maybe if the PATH had a Station by the Port Elizabeth area it would benefit the workers there and also there would be a trolleybus service so the workers can travel in a clean environment way to their jobs i know it seems ambious but it can be done

also the PATH System can connect to the Staten Island Railway as a joint venture between NJ and NYC to serve the Commuters time and money and to put it to good use there will be serveral new routes added to the PATH system and it will increase to offer costumers and commuters new options and a better way of getting around

the other routes will go into NJ inner NJ to be exact and they will be eleveted on concrete like the Miami Metrorail and with it eveleted it can go as speeds as 60 mph and up to 70 mph without curves

so anyways i think by expanding PATH is a good option
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #67
Don Omar

what is to you 'inner new jersey'

- Beastie Boys
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #68
Songoten2554

i mean in new jersey that where there is no or very limited rail service thats what i mean
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #69
Don Omar

no there is a lot of rail service. I mean we do not compare with any European metros, but New York metro has much better rail service than Chicago and Los Angeles and every other US city. PATH covers Jersey City and Hoboken and NJ Transit covers the rest.
I don't understand the concept of 'inner jersey'. Newark could use a much better subway, but there are a lot of other problems that can be mixed (Cory Booker can hopefully help fix the city).

- Beastie Boys
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #70
BX174

Likes (Received): 2

I AGREE I HEARD THE MTA IS RUNNING A RUSH HOUR ONLY BUS BETWEEN SI AND NJ TO CONNECT WITH THE LIGHT RAIL??? BUT I THINK AN ELEVATED PATH OVER THE GEOTHALS BR INTO SI PROBABLY TO SI MALL WITH A CONNECTION TO ST GEORGE AFTER CROSSING THE BRIDGE.. WOULD BE NICE .....BY THE WAY I LIVE IN THA BX !!!!!
BX174 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #71
Songoten2554

no i think a tunnel does a better job because it will be faster and will get to the areas faster and yes it can reach St George and also the Staten Island Mall but i am not saying a tunnel all the way that is too expensive i am saying a tunnel thru the river and it will rise to a elevated structure and to a seperate right of way

thanks for bringing this thread back though

also i think that PATH is planning for an expansion soon its going to go to the Newark international Airport i wonder when is it planning this

and also the new Terminal at the world trade center will open by next year i think

also PATH is about to go thru a Signal Upgrade to increase service and faster travel times as well meaning that an Expansion will be possible in the future

the Expansion of PATH will reach Elizabeth Port and also thru Staten island from the west to east and passing by transfer for the Staten Island Light Rail and also going towards the St George Terminal for the ferry's, buses and the Staten Island Railway
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #72
hegneypl

Likes (Received): 8

I live 30 inside the NJ/Pa border in the Lehigh Valley area. I hope they re-build the rail connection at Philipsburg because I'd never drive across Jersey again. Now I drive to Secaucus to the Park & Ride and shoot into NYC on the bus. It's too much driving and costly enough. Back in the day, the Lehigh Valley Railroad had trains from Bethlehem to Manhattan. The travel times were the same then as the bus is now. This was back in the 1920's when Bethlehem Steel had Office Specials where meals and meetings took place to and from NYC. Progress. What is there now? Zilch Mass Transit is nearly non-existant in this area. The bus runs in daylight hours and sticks to routes that don't service everywhere. This area has over 600,000 people in several cities including Allentown which is the states 3rd largest. Cars, that's the fashion. Sitting in traffic, that's the result. I am a transplanted Bronxite and love to visit the big city just to play on the trains, among other things. We need new transit priorities, nation wide. If the Path were within striking distance I'd use it.

Last edited by hegneypl; February 15th, 2008 at 03:27 AM. Reason: P.S., PATH.
hegneypl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #73
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDude695 View Post
I'm pretty sure this can't work as a direct connection, as I think that the SIR uses a different rail gauge than the subway. Not 100% sure though.
No actually, not only does the SIR use the same rail gauge, it uses the same rolling stock as some of the NYC subway cars. The R44 cars used on the A line in 8 car trains are used in SIR as 4 car trains
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #74
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

For the most part, the only PATH extension in discussion is the one to Newark Liberty Airport. It's likelihood of happenning is in question though because there is some powerful oppostion from JFK airport (they don't want airlines diverting to Newark over them because, most likely, the PATH extension is faster, more convenient and cheaper). Chalk up another loss to common sense.

Now there has been talk of an expansion to Staten Island, but not via PATH. Rather, the Hudson Bergen light rail would pick that up and replace the existing bus route that runs between Staten Island and Bayonne. There really isn't a demand for heavy rail to serve this route. What makes this idea sort of likely is that fact (I think) that the Bayonne Brigdge was built to accommidate trains.

There really is no need to expand PATH at the moment. The buses do well and driving does well to, if you have the means. Most expansions in the area that are rail related involve the Hudson Bergen light rail (which has right of way at many points, so it's not just a big bus on rails). Like I said, there really is no need for heavy rail at the moment.

P.S. - the NJT extension to Philipsburg is probably never going to happen. The line that would be extended to P-burg has many stops off of I-78; you should try those. The service is slow, involves transfers and is spotty (no service on weekends). It takes forever. Take a bus from the Lehigh Valley, if you can, that's the best way. And if you like mass transit, why move to the Lehigh Valley? It's sprawl mania out there.
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #75
liat91

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau.ukiyo View Post
For the most part, the only PATH extension in discussion is the one to Newark Liberty Airport. It's likelihood of happenning is in question though because there is some powerful oppostion from JFK airport (they don't want airlines diverting to Newark over them because, most likely, the PATH extension is faster, more convenient and cheaper). Chalk up another loss to common sense.

Now there has been talk of an expansion to Staten Island, but not via PATH. Rather, the Hudson Bergen light rail would pick that up and replace the existing bus route that runs between Staten Island and Bayonne. There really isn't a demand for heavy rail to serve this route. What makes this idea sort of likely is that fact (I think) that the Bayonne Brigdge was built to accommidate trains.

There really is no need to expand PATH at the moment. The buses do well and driving does well to, if you have the means. Most expansions in the area that are rail related involve the Hudson Bergen light rail (which has right of way at many points, so it's not just a big bus on rails). Like I said, there really is no need for heavy rail at the moment.

P.S. - the NJT extension to Philipsburg is probably never going to happen. The line that would be extended to P-burg has many stops off of I-78; you should try those. The service is slow, involves transfers and is spotty (no service on weekends). It takes forever. Take a bus from the Lehigh Valley, if you can, that's the best way. And if you like mass transit, why move to the Lehigh Valley? It's sprawl mania out there.

The Phillipsburg extension is really in the infancy stages, planning wise. There is to much growth out there and eventually it will happen. IMO the Lackawanna proposal should terminate at East Stroudsburg(waste of money for any further), the line to Sparta should continue to Warwick and the North shore line should go up to Stony Point, might as well extend the Monmouth/Ocean line to Toms River as well.
liat91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #76
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

NEW YORK-NEW JERSEY | PATH

I noticed there wasn't a PATH thread so here's one for the forum

PATH has a long history, dating back to the late 1800's making it older than the NYC subway by nearly a decade. The system connects manhattan with NJ under the hudson river at 2 points.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/

Take a look & add comments and any info!

- A
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #77
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Pics of the new trains?
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #78
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
Pics of the new trains?
pics of old trains!

These are scans of a few shots I took in the early 1980s.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #79
metsfan
Photographer

Wow, retro style!

- A
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #80
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
Pics of the new trains?
Photography is banned aside from a PITA permit process, so any photos of the PA-5 will be not as good as they could be, i'll look for some on the web though. Also, the PA-4 cars (3 doors) will be in service well after the 2 door cars are gone, however, eventually it will be all PA-5.

- A