daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #141
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
excuse me where could i find informations about canarsie line?
Thats the NYC subway , this is the PATH system....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #142
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7266

With all this talk of extending the 7 to Secaucus, wouldn't it make more sense to extend PATH from 33rd Street, have it swing around to connect to the end of the 7 extension, then cross the Hudson, stop in Weehawken, and then go to Secaucus instead? It would make more sense funding wise as well as be more appropriate; after all, PATH's job is to connect NY and NJ, something the subway is not meant to do.
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #143
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
With all this talk of extending the 7 to Secaucus, wouldn't it make more sense to extend PATH from 33rd Street, have it swing around to connect to the end of the 7 extension, then cross the Hudson, stop in Weehawken, and then go to Secaucus instead? It would make more sense funding wise as well as be more appropriate; after all, PATH's job is to connect NY and NJ, something the subway is not meant to do.
The 7 Ave Extension is very unlikely , 3 billion won't cut it for that line and there are rules preventing the subway form leaving the city. As for extending the PATH to the 7 line or GCT it wouldn't have to dip under 2 lines and the underground maze known as NYC. That was in the original plans though.
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #144
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 676

Yes, but Manhattan's property interests are extremely excited by the 7 line extension, so I would not bet too heavily against it.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #145
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
Yes, but Manhattan's property interests are extremely excited by the 7 line extension, so I would not bet too heavily against it.
For the West side extension , but where talking to NJ. Alot of New Yorkers i kno are mad about that , the MTA has no $$$ for it. They don't even want to extend into NJ , there are laws preventing it form doing so. My New Yorker friends are angry at Bloomberg for not proposing it be extended further into Queens , Staten Islanders are made because the city won't extend there network , people in Manhattan are made at Bloomberg because he proposing this without putting more effort into getting the 2nd Avenue subway. They also tired this in the 80s and 90s and it was blocked due to the PATH and NJT voicing outrage. So in the end its another stupid plan announced but never built.
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #146
Nexis
Dark Wolf

More of my PATH videos...fresh form the oven...taken yesterday..

Old December 5th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #147
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I took 8 PATH PA-5's videos on Friday and 1 photo...not all of them are my best but still.....

Grove Street

Exchange Place

Newport

Harrison

image hosted on flickr
Old December 5th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #148
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

I was wondering, is it still a bumpy ride between Christopher St and Hoboken/Newport? I rode it last year and the train was basically bouncing around, whereas the segment between Exchange Place and WTC is pretty smooth.
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #149
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozumi 300 View Post
I was wondering, is it still a bumpy ride between Christopher St and Hoboken/Newport? I rode it last year and the train was basically bouncing around, whereas the segment between Exchange Place and WTC is pretty smooth.
Oh you mean the curve , the Newer cars make it less violent but since the train is going 45mph your still likely to sway.....its not really bumpy just a tight curve. The Newark line is straight , but the other lines are all curvy. The PATH was designed for speed , i think its one of the fastest systems in North American.
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #150
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Here's some more PATH madness

Old December 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #151
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Although I think NJ should be the one to pay for a subway extension to Hoboken (and perhaps to Jersey City and Bayonne toward Staten Island, and NOT to Seacacus), I don't think extending the NYC subway in this manner is an inherently bad idea. Yeah, it's against the law. The law should be changed. PATH wouldn't like it? Tell them to pound sand. Or better yet, tell PATH they can extend their service further into Manhattan and Brooklyn to compensate.

NJ and NY should look past 16th-century political boundaries. It would be to the advantage of northeastern NJ to be fully integrated with the world's largest mass transit system. And a good "middle finger" to transit-hater Christie.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #152
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Although I think NJ should be the one to pay for a subway extension to Hoboken (and perhaps to Jersey City and Bayonne toward Staten Island, and NOT to Seacacus), I don't think extending the NYC subway in this manner is an inherently bad idea. Yeah, it's against the law. The law should be changed. PATH wouldn't like it? Tell them to pound sand. Or better yet, tell PATH they can extend their service further into Manhattan and Brooklyn to compensate.

NJ and NY should look past 16th-century political boundaries. It would be to the advantage of northeastern NJ to be fully integrated with the world's largest mass transit system. And a good "middle finger" to transit-hater Christie.
There will be no subway extension to Jersey , thats just another plan floated by dumb politicians. It ignores the capacity issues between NY and NJ and creates a mess of agencies....... The Law will never be changed , the MTA also is very angry over this. They wanted more million for Manhattan and out borough upgrade projects , the second avenue subway is only 20% done and Bloomberg wants extension of another line. The MTA also wants to restore at least 300 miles of Regional Rail....so they have alot planned for NYC and state. Yes NY and NJ should look past there boundaries by building a New Rail tunnel not subway , i also wonder why didn't they help pay for the ARC? The PATH is currently overhauling there system and redoing stations that should be done by 2017. Along with expansions to EWR and Midtown Elizabeth and possible Staten Island.

Old December 20th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #153
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

So what will be built? nothing I guess...

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 04:51 PM   #154
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
So what will be built? nothing I guess...
The Amtrak tunnel should begin construction later this decade and that will allow for double the capacity.....and allow for at least 30 new / restored lines...

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #155
Nexis
Dark Wolf

More PATH fanning form Friday...

Old February 19th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #156
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old February 21st, 2011, 03:22 AM   #157
Seasonedbest
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
More PATH fanning form Friday...

What on earth have they done to the signage ?

It used to at least fit in and look semi-nice. I know it's to fit in with the new branding, but its massively failed here. They've just ripped the old signage straight off the pillars. Nice video though.
Seasonedbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:58 AM   #158
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasonedbest View Post
What on earth have they done to the signage ?

It used to at least fit in and look semi-nice. I know it's to fit in with the new branding, but its massively failed here. They've just ripped the old signage straight off the pillars. Nice video though.
Its called they don't care about historic names , they basically have bent over into a local Developers demands....so thus you got the signage changed. Even though 90% of JC was against it...
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #159
Nexis
Dark Wolf

My last large scale PATH video....

Old March 18th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #160
KenfromJersey

Likes (Received): 787

I took this on the escalator in the Exchange Place station.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The temporary entrance to the WTC station

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
KenfromJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote