daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Sunderland and Durham

Sunderland and Durham For Sunderland, Washington, County Durham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #381
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 569

60th anniversary of Easington tragedy marked
by Neil McKay, The Journal, May 30th 2011

A COMMUNITY turned back the clock yesterday to honour 83 men who lost their lives in one of Britain’s worst ever pit disasters.

Hundreds of people turned out in Easington Colliery, County Durham, to pay tribute to the 81 miners and two rescue workers who perished in a massive explosion 900 feet underground at the Duck Bill Seam 60 years ago yesterday.

Easington Colliery Brass Band led a parade bearing the colliery banner from the site of the mine entrance – now a grassy mound overlooking the North Sea – up the town’s main street past boarded-up pubs, bookmakers, fast food takeaways, a tattoo parlour and numerous terraced houses with To Let signs in front of them, to the red brick Church of the Ascension.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1Np1FFdUp
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 31st, 2011, 11:07 AM   #382
denm

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
60th anniversary of Easington tragedy marked
by Neil McKay, The Journal, May 30th 2011

A COMMUNITY turned back the clock yesterday to honour 83 men who lost their lives in one of Britain’s worst ever pit disasters.

Hundreds of people turned out in Easington Colliery, County Durham, to pay tribute to the 81 miners and two rescue workers who perished in a massive explosion 900 feet underground at the Duck Bill Seam 60 years ago yesterday.

Easington Colliery Brass Band led a parade bearing the colliery banner from the site of the mine entrance – now a grassy mound overlooking the North Sea – up the town’s main street past boarded-up pubs, bookmakers, fast food takeaways, a tattoo parlour and numerous terraced houses with To Let signs in front of them, to the red brick Church of the Ascension.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1Np1FFdUp
It's nice to see this remembered, --also by the bairns, ----regarding the state of the area, --wonder what those old timers think of what has happened to their Community.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #383
denm

This is a nice story, ---this from the Sunderland Echo, --

Wearside Echoes: Signs of the past

Bill Nattress with one of his paintings.

Published on Thursday 2 June 2011 10:02

A RETIRED sign writer is drawing on his talents to help preserve Sunderland’s past.

Bill Nattress, 70, has painted so many pictures from old postcards of Wearside that he is now looking to move to a larger home – just to store them.

“It all started about ten years ago, when I had to have a heart by-pass operation,” said Bill, who lives in sheltered accommodation at Hall Farm, Doxford Park.

“The nurses suggested I take up some form of occupational therapy and I chose painting, as I used to enjoy that when I was a boy at Chester Road School.”

Indeed, such was the inspiration of his school-days that Bill, who grew up in Millfield, chose his old school as the topic of his first painting. A picture of the Royal Infirmary soon followed.

“At the start I just took up painting to keep my mind occupied, but I enjoyed it so much that I kept on going. I found it relaxing, and interesting as well,” said Bill.

“After that, I got a book called Sunderland in Postcards out of the library, and copied all the old photos. I’ve done other things, like birds and landscapes, but mostly it is old scenes of Sunderland.

“I copy the old black and white photos and paint them in watercolour or acrylics. It is just like bringing the old days back to life in colour.”

Dozens of the paintings now line the walls of Bill’s small flat, while scores more are stacked on the floor. Each tells a small part of Sunderland’s rich heritage.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/commun...past_1_3438688
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #384
denm

The Victoria Hall was a terrible Tragedy ---this from the Sunderland Echo, ---

Remembering victims of hall disaster

Raymond Davis from Sunderland Old Township Heritage Society is helping to organise a service with Stephen Edmonds to commemorate the Victoria Hall disaster.

Published on Wednesday 8 June 2011 14:23

YOUNG victims of a tragedy more than more than a century old will be remembered in a moving ceremony later this month.

Sunderland families were haunted by the deaths of 183 children who lost their lives in the Victoria Hall Disaster, on June 16, 1883.

They were crushed in a stampede for gifts after a show at the concert hall in Toward Road, which was later destroyed by a German bomb during the Second World War.

Now Sunderland Old Township Heritage Society is organising an event to mark the 128th anniversary of the incident.

Children from two schools in Hendon will play a key role in the ceremony, at a memorial to the disaster in Mowbray Park.

Students from Hudson and Valley Road schools will read out the names of the children who died, and a short service will be led by Father Stephen Edmonds, of St Ignatius Church in Hendon.

A wreath will also be laid saying “Suffer the little children to come unto me.”

Raymond Davis, from Sunderland Old Township Heritage Society, said it was hoped the event will take place every year.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/commun...ster_1_3459523
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #385
denm

This is a fascinating story, ---from the Sunderland Echo, ---

Wearside Echoes: Hitler’s plans to destroy Sunderland revealed

German target photograph of Sunderland fouynd by Bill Woods of Herrington after the war in Germany.

Published on Friday 17 June 2011 08:53

PHOTOGRAPHIC proof of Hitler’s plans to bomb a Sunderland landmark during the Second World War is today published for the first time.

A picture taken from an instruction film made for Luftwaffe bomber pilots, featuring aerial views of Sunderland, shows an arrow pointing to the Wearmouth road and rail bridges.

“The German word Brücken, meaning bridges, is typed alongside,” said former RAF man Bill Woods, who acquired the little piece of history while serving in Germany at the end of the war.

“By sheer coincidence, my own house is also shown. It was pure chance that I was given the picture in the first place. To then find my family home was also shown was absolutely astonishing.”

Bill, the son of confectionery shop owners Ernest and Blanche Woods, was born in Roker Avenue in 1920 and attended the Junior Technical School in Villiers Street until the age of 15.

“My first job after leaving school was in the general office at Vaux,” he said. “But I later moved to the cashiers department before signing up for the RAF in 1941.

“There was no question that I could have ever been a pilot as I’d had quite a bit of illness as a small child, but I wanted to join up and finished off as a stores accountant.”

Bill served across England and Wales during his time with the RAF, including an eight-month stint at Usworth, before finishing his five-and-a-half year service in Germany.

“One day, after the end of hostilities, I was on a casual visit to a small town near Gütersloh, in north west Germany, when I met a group of British servicemen,” he recalled.

“They were strangers, but we struck up a conversation and one of them said to me: ‘You’re from the North East aren’t you?’

“I replied ‘yes’, although I didn’t mention Sunderland at that point, and he handed me a strip of 35mm cine film, saying it might interest me. Apparently, he’d found it on a local dump.”

The black and white strip turned out to be part of an instruction film for Luftwaffe pilots sent to bomb Sunderland – prompting Bill to beg a frame from the servicemen as a souvenir.

“When I got back to camp, a friend in the photographic department made me an enlarged positive copy. On it, using the bridge as the focus, I was able to trace a line up North Bridge Street,” he said.

“From there, I could make out the Wheatsheaf corner and identify Southwick Road, Newcastle Road and Roker Avenue where, between the Wheatsheaf and Church Street, my house was situated.

“Goodness knows how high the plane which took the footage was flying, as you can’t make out the details of the house, but Luftwaffe pilots obviously flew over Sunderland to spy before attacking.”

Death rained down from the skies over Sunderland during the Second World War, with shipyards, railway stations, factories and mines all targeted by the Luftwaffe during repeated raids.

Read more http://www.sunderlandecho.com/commun...aled_1_3489127
Old June 18th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #386
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Interesting article!

I like the PHOTO from that article, too . .

Old June 19th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #387
denm

Quote:

Interesting article!

I like the PHOTO from that article, too . .

Wonder how many times the spy planes flew over Sunderland, ----and also if any Cine Film still exists, ---would be fascinating to see.
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #388
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Food for thought at Durham world heritage site
by Tony Henderson, The Journal, June 20th 2011

A WORLD heritage site in the North East is to be the base for an international centre for the study of how medieval people thought, lived – and even ate.

This week will see the launch of Durham University’s Institute of Medieval and Renaissance Studies (IMRS), which aims to make the lives and thoughts of people from the Seventh to the 17th Centuries more accessible to us in the modern age.

It will also exploit the internationally-important medieval legacy of the North East, including the works of the Venerable Bede and the Golden Age of Northumbria when the area was a European leader in scholarship, culture and Christianity.

The new research Institute, based at the world heritage site centre in the former Durham University almshouses on Owengate, in Durham City, is dedicated to the study of life and culture in medieval and Renaisance times, and will be launched with a series of events starting on Wednesday. They include the launch of a new book on Bede, with the Wearmouth-Jarrow momastic site of which he was part set to become the region’s next world heritage site.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1PnivQHDd
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #389
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 205

There's something oddly chilling about the name 'sunderland' written on the aerial photo. It ceases to be the name of a town and becomes a target for aggression and carnage. I'm sure there's plenty of British spy photos marked 'dresden' and 'hamburg', but it's no less chilling. I've often though that western European cities can be divided into two categories - those that were bombed and those that weren't. It still has a very profound effect on those cities, even 70 years later.
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:02 AM   #390
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
There's something oddly chilling about the name 'sunderland' written on the aerial photo. It ceases to be the name of a town and becomes a target for aggression and carnage. I'm sure there's plenty of British spy photos marked 'dresden' and 'hamburg', but it's no less chilling. I've often though that western European cities can be divided into two categories - those that were bombed and those that weren't. It still has a very profound effect on those cities, even 70 years later.

I know what you mean, --it is a chilling thought, --when I first saw the photo and seeing Sunderland on it, and knowing it was a target, ---my first thoughts was of the innocent people going about their everyday lives, and being oblivious to what devastation was being planned for them and the Town, ---and the Town did take a hammering, ---wonder if more films exist.
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #391
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Campaign starts to bring St Cuthbert
Gospel back to Durham

by Neil McKay, The Journal, July 15th 2011

ONE of the world’s most significant books will be exhibited regularly in the North East if a major fundraising campaign announced by the British Library yesterday is successful.

Heritage and cultural leaders in the North East have welcomed yesterday’s public announcement by the British Library of the fundraising campaign to acquire the highly significant St Cuthbert Gospel.

Agreement has been reached to share the display of the St Cuthbert Gospel on a 50:50 basis between the British Library and Durham’s UNESCO World Heritage Site. The agreement allows for the possible display of the Gospel at other locations in the North East in the future.

Created in the 7th Century and intimately associated with one of Britain’s foremost saints and the establishment of English Christianity, the Gospel, formerly known as the Stonyhurst Gospel, is the earliest surviving intact European book.

The St Cuthbert Gospel complements the Lindisfarne Gospels, also strongly linked to St Cuthbert, which is planned for exhibition in Durham in 2013, on a three-month loan from the British Library.

The British Library’s fundraising campaign to acquire the St Cuthbert Gospel for the nation has already received a huge boost thanks to a £4.5m grant from the National Heritage Memorial Foundation – the largest single grant for a heritage acquisition in the British Library’s history.

Other generous benefactors and charitable trusts have pledged another £500,000 in recognition of the importance of the book to Britain. The Library needs to secure the full purchase price of £9m by March 31, next year.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1S9uADbba
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #392
denm

It's a lot of money, --and will be a struggle to find it especially the way the economy is at the moment, ---but best of luck to them.
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #393
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Lottery payout will improve Durham Cathedral view
by Neil McKay, The Journal, July 19th 2011

A LOTTERY grant will allow conservationists to turn back the clock so visitors and locals can enjoy similar views of Durham Cathedral to their ancestors 300 years ago.

The woodlands and banks alongside the River Wear between the city’s Framwellgate and Prebends bridges are to be extensively pruned and footpath improved thanks to a Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) grant of £287,500, it was announced yesterday.

The pruning and chopping down of around 100 trees is aimed at encouraging more visitors to enjoy the river banks below the cathedral, for walking, fishing and picnicking by making them lighter, safer and more accessible to all, including the disabled.

Cathedral Dean Michael Sadgrove said the pruning of tall trees would go a long way towards recreating the views from the opposite riverbank towards the cathedral which locals enjoyed during the 18th century.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1SXPXYycH
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #394
denm

Good news, --it's been a couple of years since Mrs and myself walked along the Riverbank, ---and it was overgrown then, --and the paths were narrow and in need of repair, ---so I think this news is very good, --and I hope they do both sides of the River, ---I think the view looking over the River to the Cathedral is fantastic.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:37 AM   #395
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Durham residents united in opposition to city revamp plans
by Neil McKay, The Journal, July 22nd 2011

HUNDREDS of residents gave a resounding thumbs-down to a £5m-plus revamp of a historic City Centre last night.

City of Durham MP Roberta Blackman-Woods called the meeting at St Nicholas Church in the city’s Market Place to discuss concerns voiced by many of her constituents over the £5.2m refurbishment of the centre – including the Market Place.

Around 300 people attended, and not one of them had a good word to say about the scheme which was commissioned by Durham City Vision - a partnership consisting of the county council, Durham University, the cathedral, and the now defunct bodies Durham City council and One North East.

Senior figures from Durham City Vision were conspicuous by their absence, and it was left to Dave Wafer, traffic manager for the county council, to try to appease the many critics.

They included guide dog owners who said the new road lay-out where kerbs had been removed were a danger both to themselves and other pedestrians, traders who said the new lay-out caused traffic “gridlock” and locals who described the new-look Market Place as “a bland expanse of nothingness.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1SozCgsSc
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:47 AM   #396
JetStreak
Born in Durham

Likes (Received): 4

I'd say there's a few issues with the new layout and it probably is slightly bland, but in general it's a massive improvement.

I'm not suite sure what the concern is about lack of kerbs. When roads are level with the surrounding pavements it's up to drivers to make way for pedestrians.

The main problem has been that there was huge opposition to start with, so obviously those people weren't going to back down. It could have been turned into St. Mark's Square and people would have complained.

What I found utterly bizarre where the people who wanted to retain the 70s abomination that was there before.

Edit:
And there's also a disproportionate number of retired people around Durham with nothing better to do than moan and complain and bemoan anything "modern", I should know, I'm related to two of them.
JetStreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #397
denm

When we were last in Durham ---they were still working around the Market square area, ---and looked to be doing a decent job, ---I think there will always be folk who don't want/like change, ---but for us, --we have no complaints, --and think the area will benefit from these improvements, ----and btw Jet, ---these comments are from a retired man, --and I don't mind change if it is for the better, --cheers.
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #398
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Lottery cash blow for Sunderland Hylton Castle revamp
By Ross Robertson, Sunderland Echo, August 5th 2011

Hylton Castle in Sunderland

A BID to bring Historic Hylton Castle back into use has been turned down for funding. Plans are afoot to transform what remains of the 14th-century fortress into everything from a visitor centre to youth disco venue, but the proposals have met a major stumbling block after the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) decided not to fund the project in the latest round of handouts.

Sunderland City Council submitted the bid on behalf of a multi-party group which included campaign group Friends of Hylton Dene, incorporating Castle in the Community, and English Heritage.

The team remains hopeful that the project can still go ahead in the future. John Kelly, the senior councillor responsible for culture in Sunderland, said: “Unfortunately the bidding process for funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund was oversubscribed on this occasion.

“While we are naturally disappointed with the HLF’s decision not to fund the application for Hylton Castle, the plans to restore this important historical landmark are still very much in place.

Read More - http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/l...vamp_1_3652143
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #399
denm

Quote:
Lottery cash blow for Sunderland Hylton Castle revamp
By Ross Robertson, Sunderland Echo, August 5th 2011

Hylton Castle in Sunderland

A BID to bring Historic Hylton Castle back into use has been turned down for funding. Plans are afoot to transform what remains of the 14th-century fortress into everything from a visitor centre to youth disco venue, but the proposals have met a major stumbling block after the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) decided not to fund the project in the latest round of handouts.

Sunderland City Council submitted the bid on behalf of a multi-party group which included campaign group Friends of Hylton Dene, incorporating Castle in the Community, and English Heritage.

The team remains hopeful that the project can still go ahead in the future. John Kelly, the senior councillor responsible for culture in Sunderland, said: “Unfortunately the bidding process for funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund was oversubscribed on this occasion.

“While we are naturally disappointed with the HLF’s decision not to fund the application for Hylton Castle, the plans to restore this important historical landmark are still very much in place.

Read More - http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/l...vamp_1_3652143

Yeah it's a shame, ---I thought the bid team had a good chance of securing funding, so it's disappointing they have missed out, ---never mind, --they can make a fresh/improved bid in the future.
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #400
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Evening Chronicle, Tuesday 30th August 2011 . .

Tags
historic north east eng, historic sund and durham