daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #1
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 497

ArcelorMittal Orbit | Olympic Park | 115m

15 million for this project!

The structure, part of a cultural programme

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...fel-Tower.html

The structure would be built at the Stratford, east London site and be funded by Lakshmi Mittal, Britain’s richest man.

One early design shows a 400ft construction that resembles a cross between a Native American totem pole and a pylon, reports suggested.

It is understood that five shortlisted artists, including the former Turner prize winner Anish Kapoor and Antony Gormley, the designer of the Angel of the North, are being considered by a panel to be commissioned for the work.

Despite the mayor previously pledging in his mayoral manifesto to crack down on tall buildings, describing London’s skyline as “precious”, sources say the project would be “stunning”.

A source close to Mr Johnson reportedly said: “He wants to build something quite stunning in its ambition, like the Eiffel Tower or the Statue of Liberty — a tribute to London that people will fall in love with.”

A friend Mr Mittal, 59, added: “He loves living in London and wants to give something back to the city.

“The Olympics are obviously a very important event and he wants to be able to contribute to a legacy project that people will be able to enjoy for many years to come.”

Critics, however, said the project was likely to be compared with the “wedding cake” that Mussolini completed in Rome or the 250ft gold statue that was commissioned by Saparmurat Niyazov, a former Turkmen dictator, to rotate to face the sun.

Brian Sewell, the art critic, Britain was already “littered with public art of absolutely no merit”.

“We are entering a new period of fascist gigantism. These are monuments to egos and you couldn't find a more monumental ego than Boris.”

A spokesman for Mr Johnson told the Sunday Times: “The mayor is keen to see stunning, ambitious, world-class art in the Olympic Park and has been working with the Olympic Delivery Authority over many months to explore a series of commissioning projects.

“He is also in touch with prominent figures in the art establishment and philanthropists about taking these forward and getting private backing.

“This work is at an early stage and details will be announced when the projects are confirmed.”

The winning sculpture is likely to be announced within the next fortnight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What will it be??

Last edited by jerseyboi; October 25th, 2009 at 05:46 PM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 25th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #2
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 21

oh i hope anish comes up with something awesome for this. i love his work!!!
brummad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3
RobH

Likes (Received): 1859

Hmmm, I don't much like the idea of a tall strcuture overshadowing the cauldron tower by the stadium which ought to be the centrepiece of the park, towering over everything else.

Perhaps after the Games, during the transformation of the park, there's an argument for this, but I'm not convinced at the moment.
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #4
somersetchris

Likes (Received): 3

All we keep hearing at the moment is how there are arguments about moving venues around to save money, then suddenly there is the money for a £15million Boris memorial monument
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #5
.Adam

Likes (Received): 178

But this is privatley funded.... I am all for this project actually, would love to see Gormley get his chance to provide London with a monument.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #6
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1731

Surely this would be better AS the cauldron.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #7
pagey17

1 possible design
pagey17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #8
jerseyboi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey17 View Post

1 possible design
I like that.......different! might look better thow at Vancouver 2010.

Last edited by jerseyboi; October 25th, 2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #9
Mwmbwls

Likes (Received): 204

Olympics Bungy Jumping Centre to be built

It rather looks like one of those jumping towers that people used to throw themselves off in South East Asia with vines strapped to their legs. Still I suppose it could always be used for bungy jumping although the side projections would need to be either offset or retractable to allow jumping from the higher piers. Whose for letting Boris have first go?
Mwmbwls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #10
somersetchris

Spot the difference

Old October 26th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #11
l.l.c.o.o.l.b

Likes (Received): 0

monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersetchris View Post

Spot the difference

haha.. save costs and put 1 of them up
l.l.c.o.o.l.b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #12
DarJoLe

Interesting that they were going to keep a couple of the pylons just outside the Park to use as art installations.

If they were really clever they'd use this as an opportunity to reuse elements of the stadium, which obviously now is not going to be sold to the next host city. Using the white steel rods to create something sculptural which becomes a landmark for visitors to the Park could be a plan.

Part of me still feels this is Boris trying to muscle in on the Olympics and leave his physical legacy here because he sure isn't leaving a positive social legacy to this city.

Last edited by DarJoLe; October 26th, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #13
somersetchris

But Boris's term is up in May 2012 and the Olympics will start in July 2012? It will be good to see Ken opening the games and Boris in the stands
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #14
DarJoLe

Ken will never be Mayor of London again.
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #15
somersetchris

Never say never
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #16
jerseyboi
BANNED

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #17
RobH

Likes (Received): 1859

Christ on a bike, that's fugly!

And I thought the point of that space, once the large temporary bridge had been removed, was for it to be a amphitheatre kind of space.
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #18
LiamF1

Likes (Received): 1

I agree with DarJoLe that the cauldron should be the tallest structure, but I do think it's a good thing that the Mayor has finally come and engaged with something like this. I think the cauldron tower should be able to be seen from as far across London as possible and remain after the games as a landmark whilst the stadia are slimed down.

Something like this:

[Click to enlarge]
LiamF1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #19
Dubai-Toluca
B.I.O.N.I.C.

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamF1 View Post
I agree with DarJoLe that the cauldron should be the tallest structure, but I do think it's a good thing that the Mayor has finally come and engaged with something like this. I think the cauldron tower should be able to be seen from as far across London as possible and remain after the games as a landmark whilst the stadia are slimed down.

Something like this:

[Click to enlarge]
a cauldron like this one for the games could be outstanding!
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #20
delores

Likes (Received): 176

I somehow imagine it being a little less ambitious, tensile fabric over scoffolding probably.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, olympics