daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Old November 14th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #81
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

The clous: symbol of London 2012

The site:

http://www.raisethecloud.org/#project
Mr.Underground no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #82
somersetchris

Likes (Received): 3

Discussed here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=987879
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #83
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

The history of Olympics and Expos is one of heaviness – of mass and monumentality and conspicuous expenditure on immovable objects whose legacy has occasionally endured, but have always been outdated.
Our most extraordinary contemporary feats of engineering are more stealthy, more extensive and more invisible than these traditions of glass and brick
and steel: Code rather than Carbon.

The Cloud proposes a new form of monument – a new form of collective expression and experience, and an updated symbol of our dawning age. It proposes an entirely new form of observation deck, high above the
Olympics – from which one can not only see the whole of London, but the whole of the world, immersed in the euphoric gusts of weather but also immersed within that new, pressing and endlessly compelling
environment in which we increasingly congregate – the digital sublime.

The secret ingredient that helped the Pyramids and the Eiffel Tower endure was their ephemerality: the Pyramids, for all their mass, focussed on the light of distant stars, whilst the Tower streamed radio. All that is solid melts into air; all that is air melts into data.
It is the atmosphere itself – the elements and the datawaves flowing through them – that truly evokes the ultimate Cloud, and the electronic-analogue
sublime of a digital experience floating above the city.

As London’s only mountain-top – our own outdoors escape on and above our very doorstep, an aerial paradise for hikers and cyclists, birders and tourists – it provides a watery vertical ecology to complement Stratford’s new fluid horizontal landscapes.

The principal effects of the Cloud are generated from their context – from the aerial sea of swarming data, from the diverse populations of London, the UK and the wider string of global villages, and from the seamless stretch of weather that unites us all.
Mr.Underground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #84
RobH

Likes (Received): 1586

Yeh, we already have a thread on this. Can this be merged please mods?
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #85
RobH

I meant, one-off as in 'alone', unlike Athens.

To be honest, I'd rather we just got the bloody cauldron tower sorted. Have it appropriate in height and in proportion to the stadium and think of a great way to light it. That's what matter now.

Having said that, any word on whether these ideas will be the cauldron tower?

If they are they should design it as an iconic cauldron and make it into a monument after the games. They shouldn't design an overbearing monument and then have to compromise its look as a cauldron or compromise its lighting.

As much as I think a monument could be a great idea, and as much as I like the idea of the cloud post-2012, I am worried about the integration of this bloody great thing in the park if its to be built before the games.
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #86
delores

Likes (Received): 150

Arrrghh this rather bad idea is getting way too much coverage on here...and now i've made it worse!
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #87
Grimes

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WintrySarcasm View Post
The spiral walkway could be used to light it - obviously would get boring watching someone walk all the way to the top, so imagine if they rigged some form of pyro to the spiral walkways; the torch bearer could touch it at the bottom and flames would race around the walkways to ignite a large flame at the top.

Potentially impossible, but would surely create a visual to rival Beijing?
I saw a similar effect at the end of an opera a few years ago - flames ran up and down a metal helix on the stage using what looked like a series of individual gas valves placed close next to each other, which could be turned on in turn. It looked absolutely fantastic. I think it could be a real showstopper if they made it work for the flame lighting.
Grimes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #88
EnglishKevin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
I saw a similar effect at the end of an opera a few years ago - flames ran up and down a metal helix on the stage using what looked like a series of individual gas valves placed close next to each other, which could be turned on in turn. It looked absolutely fantastic. I think it could be a real showstopper if they made it work for the flame lighting.

It's not actually a spiral walkway. It has been designed for bikes. You would be able to cycle to the top. Brilliant idea that has to be unique.
EnglishKevin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #89
WillesdenGreen
skengman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishKevin View Post
It's not actually a spiral walkway. It has been designed for bikes. You would be able to cycle to the top. Brilliant idea that has to be unique.
its an interesting concept, but i can see a lot of things going wrong on a spiral walkway full of cyclists
WillesdenGreen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #90
Anto.

Likes (Received): 1

It looks exciting, but what exactly is it?
Anto. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #91
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anto. View Post
It looks exciting, but what exactly is it?
A duplicate thread in a forum in dire need of a tidy up.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #92
Anto.

Likes (Received): 1

Ah sorry I see now, people in bubbles!
Anto. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #93
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 365

Anyone going to question the spelling of the thread title?

There's a number of threads on this project already.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #94
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2049

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishKevin View Post
He has a bridge at Salford Quays.
I love Calatrava, but his bridges are a major let down, they all look the bloody same.

His buildings and structures are somewhat different and they are unique.
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #95
EnglishKevin
BANNED

Calatrava Bridges

Just a selection. If this kind of work ( I call it inspiration ) is not good enough then what is ? They are not all the same. It's patently obvious that he has a distinctive style. It's also obvious that he departs from it at will. Don't all architect's strive to develop a distinctive style for their 'brand' ?

Trinity Bridge - Salford Quays

[IMG]http://*************************/barcelona/jpgs/calatrava_bridge_tboczko_1.jpg[/IMG]

Barcelona.

Reggio, Italy From ecatoncheire - Flickr.

Alamillo Bridge - Seville.

Sundial Bridge at Turtle Bay- California.

Jerusalem.

Peace Bridge - Calgary.

Venice.

Milwaukee Art Museum Bridge.

Bilbao.
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #96
RobH

This is what I mean, they all remind me very much of Athens 2004, which isn't a bad thing but hardly original for London's Olympic Park.
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #97
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1539

Why are we talking about bridges now. The London Olympic Park will have a legendary bridge in both Games and legacy mode, designed by Heneghan Peng Architects.

DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #98
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

Calatrava has made bridges, especially pedestrian ones, literally everywhere. Anyway which is the final design?

EDIT, there was an Olympic Monument designed by Calatrava for the 2004 games, positioned in roundabout just in front of the stadium (but because of cost and time restrictions it wasn't built) Height 110 meters

Last edited by ReiAyanami; November 17th, 2009 at 11:22 PM.
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #99
rmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiAyanami View Post
EDIT, there was an Olympic Monument designed by Calatrava for the 2004 games, positioned in roundabout just in front of the stadium (but because of cost and time restrictions it wasn't built) Height 110 meters

Wasn't it suppose to be both the cauldron and a post-Games monument? It looks very much like the cauldron that ended up just outside the stadium.

Calatrava does indeed have a very special, distinct style. As much as I like him, anything designed by him for London's Olympic Park would be bring up too many allusions to Athens' OAKA. The white, the visceral skeleton, the play on tension, etc
rmutt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #100
EnglishKevin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmutt View Post
Wasn't it suppose to be both the cauldron and a post-Games monument? It looks very much like the cauldron that ended up just outside the stadium.

Calatrava does indeed have a very special, distinct style. As much as I like him, anything designed by him for London's Olympic Park would be bring up too many allusions to Athens' OAKA. The white, the visceral skeleton, the play on tension, etc

Why would he ? Why would he be so pedictable ? Give him credit for being capable of more than that . You cannot argue that the Peace Bridge and Turning Torso are the same old stuff.

Not every picture I linked to displayed, but it's more than clear that there is more to him than most people bother to recognise.

A victim of his own success it seems.

Tags
london, olympics