daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:51 PM   #101
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 173

I don't get why he's complaining. North Shields does well for independent newsagents, it only has to Coop and to a lesser extent Netto in the town centre who can be classed as main chains. In the town centre I don't know of a Tesco, though there is a large Tesco on Norham road and another Tesco petrol station on Billy Mill roundabout. Also it just sounds like sour grapes that he's obviously got his business plan all wrong, and you can't go and open a newsagents and expect to automatically get the right to sell the lottery especially if others in the area sell it as well. In my local village it took the local shop keeper 7 years to get the lottery because the Coop had opened a long time before him and they had it for a long time.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; June 2nd, 2011 at 01:26 AM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 1st, 2011, 11:47 PM   #102
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Supermarkets 'are swamping North Shields'
by Rachel Wearmouth, Evening Chronicle, June 1st 2011

SUPERMARKETS “swamping” a corner of Tyneside are suffocating small firms, a local trader has claimed.

Iain Dougal, of Dougal’s Den in North Tyneside, believes supermarket giants such as Tesco and Sainsbury’s are squeezing smaller business out of the marketplace.

The 42-year-old shop owner said his Walton Avenue store has struggled to survive since opening its doors in September.

He claims efforts to pull in shoppers have been hampered further by the National Lottery’s refusal to list him as one of their official outlets.

The dad-of-two said newly-opened superstores were selected for pay-points by Camelot before his business, something he claims is happening repeatedly to smaller retailers.

Banking on the lottery terminal boosting custom, Iain even attempted to petition Camelot for the service, collecting 400 signatures of support from across the town.

He said: “We have supermarkets which sell everything you can think of. You have petrol stations which sell most essential items, and you have Express stores.

“Then you have Tesco taking over the Mills Group of newsagents and convenience stores and calling them One Stop.

“What about small independents like myself? To me this is monopolisation at its highest level.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1O2WLDoOZ
At the highest level!! Walton Avenue, North Shields.

Youve hit the nail on the head in your post there Chris. If I can do the Chronicle a favour here, the headline should read "Local Idiot doesn't do the Maths in his Business Plan, Fails, Blames Others"

I dont know where to begin here! The fact that he's blaming factors which are years (even decades) old, when he only opened in September? The fact he didnt nail the deal-breaking lotto terminal before opening? The fact he's a *shock* 'Dad-of-Two'?

Or the fact the increasingly lamentable Chronicle continues to print the sob stories of any local yahoo who contacts them with woeful tales of self-induced idiocy.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #103
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 458

Exhibition celebrates history of shopping in North Shields
by Tony Henderson, Evening Chronicle, June 7th 2011

IT was a time of corner shops and independent traders – before chain stores took over the High Street,

Now North Shields Chamber of Trade has decided to look back to the days when the town’s shopping centre was booming.

The chamber’s project to delve into the retail history of North Shields has been led by David Bavaird.

“The results have been phenomenal,” he said. They can be seen in a new exhibition, Gannin’ Shoppin’ in Shields, which tells the story of retailing in the town over the last century . . .

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1Oc32djKw

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 9th, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #104
Wildcat45

Likes (Received): 29

Loving the Chrysler Apline in that last shot. The picture of the Coop - is that the same location as today?

Also, when was NS town centre redeveloped? Bedford street, the Centre etc, all look to be late 70s. But I could be wrong.
Wildcat45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #105
Wildcat45

Any heads up on Whether Bill Case will be taking over the Queens Head in North Shields?

It was said he was going to take it over and do it up as a real ale boozer.

Its looking very empty at present.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 15th, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #106
Angel of the South

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat45 View Post
Any heads up on Whether Bill Case will be taking over the Queens Head in North Shields?

It was said he was going to take it over and do it up as a real ale boozer.

Its looking very empty at present.

I have seen activity in the last couple of weeks or so. So there does appear to be some work being done.
Angel of the South no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #107
Wildcat45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of the South View Post
I have seen activity in the last couple of weeks or so. So there does appear to be some work being done.
Nice one Angel. Here's hoping. Dan.
Old June 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #108
Wildcat45

Sadly, I learnt last night that Bill has passed away.
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #109
BigLebowski

The old Esso garage on Chirton roundabout which has stood derelict for almost a decade will soon be back in action as a Londis.

This may very well be the most low-rent, low-interest post ever placed on this forum...My apologies!
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #110
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 458

North Tyneside General Hospital homes plan
by Tony Henderson, Evening Chronicle, August 23rd 2011

PLANS to raise health funds by building 80 homes in a hospital’s grounds could be given the go-ahead.

Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust has asked for planning permission for the houses on land at North Tyneside General Hospital.

The site, which backs on to Preston Grange Primary School, North Shields, is currently a mix of grassed areas and a 204-space staff car park. A replacement car park would be constructed 100 metres away and proposals would mean the demolition of hospital workshops.

The trust will look to sell the land with outline planning permission in place and reinvest the money into patient care, and a trust spokesperson said: “The trust wishes to invest in health care facilities in Northumberland and North Tyneside, including North Tyneside General Hospital, over the next 10 years.

“Some of the work needs to be funded by the sale of surplus assets, hence the sale of land at North Tyneside. “Capital from the sale of the land will be reinvested at North Tyneside Hospital to refurbish and modernise wards, clinics and public areas.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1VtRGynCQ
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #111
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 688

Ye Old Hundred

Well another example of meddling with pub names, this time the Ye Old Hundred in North Shields has changed its name to Bar 100 - this is an advert they have placed in the Whitley Bay Guardian.

And this is how it used to look:

The Old Hundred (Ye Old Hundred) didn't come into existence until circa 1895 and it stands at the corner of Church Way and Albion Road. The Old Hundred is actually two public houses merged into one - Robert Potts had the Victoria Inn which stood at number 100 Church Way (thus the name) and his Sister owned the Angel Inn on Albion Road. At a date, circa 1895, both merged and became the Old Hundred Inn.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #112
BigLebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post

The Old Hundred (Ye Old Hundred) didn't come into existence until circa 1895 and it stands at the corner of Church Way and Albion Road. The Old Hundred is actually two public houses merged into one - Robert Potts had the Victoria Inn which stood at number 100 Church Way (thus the name) and his Sister owned the Angel Inn on Albion Road. At a date, circa 1895, both merged and became the Old Hundred Inn.
To be honest I've only ever heard it referred to as 'The Ton', I don't think Ive ever heard it called by its full name (See also the 'Top House' (Albion) further along the street). 'Bar 100' is a bit pretentious though, given where it is, and its usual clientele.

In other Shields news, the Saville Street Netto has had all signage replaced by that of Asda, and opens on Sept 7th. Also the Metro station is now completely demolished save for the steel structure, which now extends considerably further back and incorporates what I assume will become 2 lift shafts.
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #113
theshieldsman

Likes (Received): 0

Am i reading that Bar 100 advert wrong? Is that a mistake where it says "Opening Night Friday 2nd September 2011 . 7pm until 1pm"

Surely it should say 7pm - 1am ?
theshieldsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #114
BigLebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshieldsman View Post
Am i reading that Bar 100 advert wrong? Is that a mistake where it says "Opening Night Friday 2nd September 2011 . 7pm until 1pm"

Surely it should say 7pm - 1am ?
You've obviously never been drinking in Shields!
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #115
theshieldsman

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
You've obviously never been drinking in Shields!
You're right.
theshieldsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #116
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 176

A couple of photos of the massive development of the North Shields waterfront. This has been going for years. There's plenty of activity but it's unclear what's actually going on other than landscaping. I'm positive that some of the JCBs were simply taking crates of bricks from one end of the site to the other, then back again.

Old September 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #117
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
A couple of photos of the massive development of the North Shields waterfront. This has been going for years. There's plenty of activity but it's unclear what's actually going on other than landscaping. I'm positive that some of the JCBs were simply taking crates of bricks from one end of the site to the other, then back again.
Former Smiths Dock site - this was the original Planning Application way back in 2000:

http://publicaccess.northtyneside.go...ERTY&module=P3
Regeneration of former docks site for residential development with associated retail(A1), food and drink(A3), and infrastructure works. (linked to a S106 agreement)

Seems to have been 'years' since they started to put the infrastructure in place.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #118
Talisker
dE/dm

I'm sure they were doing something there when I moved to Canada in 2009, so it's been 2.5 years at least. Looking back over the photos I took last october from the DFDS ferry, the main difference is that everything has been smoothed out, but that's pretty much it. No actual buildings have been started.
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #119
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
I'm sure they were doing something there when I moved to Canada in 2009, so it's been 2.5 years at least. Looking back over the photos I took last october from the DFDS ferry, the main difference is that everything has been smoothed out, but that's pretty much it. No actual buildings have been started.
Well the rumour was that the original developer pulled out and then the recession hit - must check out what is going on with the cranes though.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old September 20th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #120
Talisker
dE/dm

The cranes have been there a long time. Unfortunately this is the only photo I have of the site prior to recent works. It was taken in September 2007 and shows how steep the banks were, prior to being landscaped:

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, newcastle, north tyneside