daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Denmark

Denmark » Copenhagen | Aarhus

Old March 31st, 2010, 11:38 AM   #101
Georgnysgerrig

Likes (Received): 0

If everybody else but the mayor, the medias and Esbjerg itself knew how to play this game, why did noone interfere or offered help?
"FAB 5" - You seem to know exactly how to pull this off, so why do'nt you teach us ?
It might help us in the future
Georgnysgerrig no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 1st, 2010, 03:03 AM   #102
Fab 5

Likes (Received): 1

I could write a lenghty analysis on this matter, which I find tremendously interesting.
However, let me put it very simplistic: Just look at how the city of Esbjerg has initiated various more or less unsuccessful marketing campaigns over the last decade - they are simply just not interacting with the right people on these matters - they always seem to be a couple of steps behind methodologically when dealing with public relations and promoting their interests - Siemens being the latest example on the latter.

Overall, Esbjerg never really understood that - in order to secure the factory in the end - the Siemens project should never have been a city and/or regional project and campaign only. Sure, Esbjerg in general has immense challenges with its lack of powerful state relations, however the city was way too late on realizing that getting Siemens to build their facility needed more than just a lonesome and rather naive city campaign. It took them well over a year - and I don't think they ever really realized it - to discover how big and complex this project potentially is. They should have lobbied intensely from day 1 on the state level trying to make this a national campaign - they NEVER even got just a small degree of backing from the government. The Esbjerg task-force never understood the very dynamics on what went on in this process, where different locations battled for securing the facility.

BTW: Just as of last year the municipality hired a communications manager! You can speculate the reasons hereon, however, refraining from that, it basically just says a lot.
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM   #103
Fender56

Likes (Received): 50

To bring things in perspective.:

1. Siemens contacted Esbjerg Kommune 2 years ago, to buy the 2 mio m2 of land and signed a preliminary contract. Siemens will not do such, if they did not have the intension to build here.!

2. Esbjerg Kommune shortly after, started the negotiations with Siemens, to get everything done ready for a final contract.

3. Shortly after, the financial crisis hit the World, which undoubtedly stopped investments, even in a Mega company like Siemens.

4. Time went on, and Siemens and Esbjerg Kommune held meetings frequently, to solve the last small hurdles.

5. Then a couple of months ago, England presented a huge investment plan for offshore windmill farms, which offcourse influenced the sudden change by Siemens.

6. AND NOW I QUOTE the mayor of Esbjerg "Derudover har Siemens givet udtryk for at være under stærkt pres fra den engelske regering, og har derfor valgt at placere vindmøllefabrikken på Englands østkyst, siger Johnny Søtrup."

7. The only place in the whole Northsea-region Siemens signed any preliminary contract, was the one they signed with Esbjerg Kommune. After the announcement monday, Siemens just said "the English factory will be located somewhere on the English eastcoast".

So in my eyes, this decision was made over the night, after severe pressure from the English Goverment, and therefore Esbjerg had no chance in the World.

So any claims, that Esbjerg Kommune should have handled this othervise, is pure b.s., Esbjerg alone against England was no match.!

Old April 1st, 2010, 10:17 AM   #104
Fab 5

I think many people seem to think the above was the case, which, again, is interesting. There is such a mis-match between what you think happened - and what really happened. But, then again, how would you know better - the local media certainly didn't help you guys in understanding what was going on - most likely because they did not understand it themselves.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM   #105
Fender56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab 5 View Post
I think many people seem to think the above was the case, which, again, is interesting. There is such a mis-match between what you think happened - and what really happened. But, then again, how would you know better - the local media certainly didn't help you guys in understanding what was going on - most likely because they did not understand it themselves.
Fab 5, your comments in this thread seems all very negative, if you do not want to elaborate on your assertions conserning the Siemens story, then please go vomit somewhere else, and stop spamming here.

Old April 1st, 2010, 02:12 PM   #106
ut

(shopping center) I do not understand how a landmark warehouse can be converted to p-house and then still be as worthy of preservation that it must not be brought down. in my eyes must surely just be a politician who just wants his name in history can find to say something like that or is it just me who do not understand it? sorry the bad English.
ut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:24 PM   #107
EDK_DK

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab 5 View Post
Sounds like the media coverage of the September 11, 2001 - They don't know a damn thing - do they?

Last edited by EDK_DK; April 1st, 2010 at 04:34 PM.
EDK_DK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:07 PM   #108
Fab 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender56 View Post
Fab 5, your comments in this thread seems all very negative, if you do not want to elaborate on your assertions conserning the Siemens story, then please go vomit somewhere else, and stop spamming here.

You know what, by your reactions you are really good at proving my points.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:20 AM   #109
Fender56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut View Post
(shopping center) I do not understand how a landmark warehouse can be converted to p-house and then still be as worthy of preservation that it must not be brought down. in my eyes must surely just be a politician who just wants his name in history can find to say something like that or is it just me who do not understand it? sorry the bad English.
You´re absolutely right, in the picture below i´ve tried to show what this politician want to save (red arrow). It has in my eyes no value at all.:

By the way, welcome to.!

Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:39 PM   #110
Fender56

Construction has finally started at the "Beach Promenade" project in the Esbjerg suburb Hjerting. They started with the new clubhouse building for the boat-people, in the northern most part of the project, below a rendering of the new clubhouse, and a layout of the overall plan.:

I guess, the homes along the promenade will gain in value, when the project is completed.

Old April 25th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #111
Fender56

The counsil of Region Syddanmark has now decided to use the model B (see sketch below) for the extension of SVS in Esbjerg, the model B solution was 132 mio dkr cheaper than the model A.

The selected solution will cost 595 mio dkr, and give an additional 17.000 sqm to the hospital. Architects are CREO Arkitekter in cooperation with COWI.:

An arial of the present hospital.:

Link to the generalplan for SVS.:

http://godtsygehusbyggeri.dk/Nyheder...20Esbjerg.aspx

Old April 29th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #112
Fender56

Blue Water Shipping is building a new 4 to 6 storey world-headquarter of 6.500 sqm, next to the old one that was 2.500 sqm. Furthermore a new 1.000 sqm warehouse will be build. The 5 year old headquarter has been rented out to DONG E&P and DONG Power Renewables.

5 years ago BWS had 75 employees in the headquarter, now there´s more than 200. Construction of the new headquarter is planned to be completed by april/may 2011.

No renderings so far.

Picture of the old headquarter.:

http://esbjerg.kivaweb.dk/content/bl...t-hovedkvarter

Last edited by Fender56; April 30th, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
Fender56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #113
Satchmoo

Likes (Received): 12

Shopping Center

With the establishment of the shopping center in Jernbanegade, there will some changes in a couple of intersections in the inner city. Read the suggestions here: http://www.esbjergkommune.dk/Admin/P...+Dagsorden.pdf
Satchmoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #114
Fender56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmoo View Post
With the establishment of the shopping center in Jernbanegade, there will some changes in a couple of intersections in the inner city. Read the suggestions here: http://www.esbjergkommune.dk/Admin/P...+Dagsorden.pdf
Thx Satchmoo, here´s a detailed map of the plans around the new Shopping center.:

Old May 5th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #115
Fender56

It seems like the project of the new extension of the "Fiskeri og Søfartsmuseum" is closer than ever. According to Esbjerg Ugeavis today, the 100 mio dkr project, is split like this.:

61,8 mio dkr for "Sæler og vadehav"
40,2 mio dkr for "Hvaler og offshore"
2,6 mio dkr for "Gæster i fokus"

No construction start date is mentioned.

Link to the old plans.:

http://rum1.aarch.dk/index.php?id=105464

Last edited by Fender56; May 5th, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
Fender56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #116
Georgnysgerrig

Likes (Received): 0

The old renderings seems quite nice...
But in the local newspaper "Ugeavisen", a small article presents a much less interesting picture, where the new building is kept in the same boring style as the existing.
Georgnysgerrig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #117
Fender56

A new Super High School is comming up in Esbjerg, after Esbjerg Statsskole and Esbjerg Handelsskole just announced the merger, into a new joint school, at the location where the Handelsskole today is located.

1.110 students and 200 employees gets 5.000 sqm new facilites, with new main enterance and study rooms, aso. No renderings so far, but to be completed in 2012.

Old May 6th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #118
Satchmoo

Do anyone know, if Borgergade is only to be closed for traffic towards Østerbyen, or if it also will be closed towards City?
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #119
Fender56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmoo View Post
Do anyone know, if Borgergade is only to be closed for traffic towards Østerbyen, or if it also will be closed towards City?
Borgergade will be closed both ways, and only open for bicycles and pedestrians.

Old May 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #120
Satchmoo

Minutes from the latest meeting in Teknik & Miljø, go to page 20 and you'll find links to drawings of the new BWS HQ. For some reasons, I cannot access these, so if someone can, I'd appreciate if they could be added to the thread.

Please also note pp 10-13 regarding the planned shopping center.

http://www.esbjergkommune.dk/Admin/P....+maj+2010.pdf