daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #141
citypia
future is today.

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngMarco View Post
How did he know? dude, with internet and search engines everything is just one click away.
So the result he got is wrong!
How wonderful world is!

Don't call me dude, do you think that I am a male?
That's just what you are rashly assuming.

Dongtan from the forest

Last edited by citypia; October 25th, 2013 at 08:45 AM.
citypia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #142
elrusodan
Real Estate Consultant

Location: Long Beach, California... Atlanta, GA... Chattanooga, TN
Likes (Received): 13

Wow! That Dongtan city is amazing! Do you live there? Got more photos? And what is that huge ship in the photo?
Old October 26th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #143
Denjiro
Heathen

Likes (Received): 7095

Quote:
Originally Posted by citypia View Post
You have never heard of Dongtan?
If so, how can you be so sure that unkown city, Dongtan, is in the Seoul region?

I am not sure what your term "Seoul region" means exactly whether it means administrative disrtrict or influencial area.
In either case, you are wrong.

To be sure,
First, Dongtan is NOT in the Seoul region.
Dongtan city belong to Gyeonggi province and Hwaseong county.
Hwaseong county consists of many farm villages and fishing villages, which most areas are rural, not a city form. Dongtan is the sole case as a city form in Hwaseong county. That's why Dongtan's surrounding areas are mostly forests, hills and rice fields. Yes, Dongtan was built in middle of rice fields in farming vallages.

Second, Dongtan is an independent city, not a Seoul's satellite city.
Dongtan is away from Seoul. Look at the map below.
Seoul's closest cities are Incheon, Seongnam, Goyang, Anyang and etc but Dongtan.
Dongtan is located between Suwon and Cheonan.
By the korean standard, Dongtan is not close to Seoul (Don't forget that South korea is very small, simmilar to Portogal's land size.)

The most important thing is Seoul's closest cities don't have distict skylines.
The cities in the Seoul region don't have big skylines, except for Incheon.
They just spread out horizontally.
They are not like Dongtan.
You know what I am saying?
Dongtan was able to make skyline just because Dongtan is in the Seoul region? No way!

Maybe, you are wondering how a small city like Dongtan can sustain such a big skyline?
Dongtan is very close to industrial zone, especially SAMSUNG semiconductor factory, one of biggest producers in the world.
Also, there are lots of medium-sized cities nearby, which interact each other.
That's why Dongtan can stand on her own feet.

The red circle of Seoul includes a part of Ilsan, Bundang, Gwacheon, Bucheon and Guri, which are strong Seoul's influential areas even though they don't belong to Seoul admistrative district at all. Actually, the administrative district of Incheon is lager than Seoul's
But in this map, Seoul is presented larger than Incheon becouse of Seoul's strong presence.
Dongtan is very impressive, but..
According to Wikipedia, New Dongtan City is a division of Hwaseong City.
Hwaseong City (with a population of ~540,000) belongs to Sudogwon, also known as the Seoul Capital Area. The Seoul Capital Area forms the second largest metropolitan area in the world..

Source

Fakroef liked this post
Denjiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 05:51 AM   #144
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3048

Tomamu again

Atami, Shizuoka
39.000 inhabitants

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/carli...t=7bd4ad81a4a7

castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #145
citypia
future is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denjiro View Post
Dongtan is very impressive, but..
According to Wikipedia, New Dongtan City is a division of Hwaseong City.
Hwaseong City (with a population of ~540,000) belongs to Sudogwon, also known as the Seoul Capital Area. The Seoul Capital Area forms the second largest metropolitan area in the world..

Source
Denjiro, thank you for your response.

First, do you believe everything whatever wikipedia says?
Do you think that wikipedia is always accurrate? Do you know how they get the data?
Second, do you know what "Sudogwon" means in korean?

OK, let me tell you what "Sudogwon" means first.
"Sudo" means "capital" in korean. "Gwon" means "area" in korean.
Therefore, 'Sudogwon" means "capital city area".

Now, let me ask you one question.
Do you know where the administrative capital of south korea" is?
Seoul? No!
Seoul is NOT the administrative capital city of south korea. Sejong city is the very administrative capital of south Korea.
Therefore, "Sudogwon" is the old term.
That word just originated when Seoul functioned as a perfect capital city in korea and dominated everything with the capital city's strong power.
So I firstly want to point out that "Sudogwon" is not Seoul capital area anymore. Yes, it's outdated knowledge of wikipedia.

Also, in korea, officially, no one uses Seoul capital area these days.
We call this area Gyeonggido, which is economically and politically the most powerful region in Korea.
Its whole population is bigger than those of Seoul.
People in Gyeonggido has their own pride and maybe be offended if someone call their land as Seoul capital area, which imply that their land is only the surrouding area of Seoul.
(Some people in Gyeonggido don't consider Seoul as the sun of the solar system. You know what I mean?)

Secondly, as I said before, Hwaseong consists of rural areas, fishing villages(which are not the city format) and urban area(Dongtan is the city format in Hwaseong.)
The "city" as a korean adminisrative term is a little bit different from original English meanings. The city as an administrative word in korea is the adimistration unit which gains when the rural area'population exceed 100,000.
For example, according to korean law, a farming village can be a city as an administrative unit when its population exceeds 100,000 after gaining approval from the government. So sometimes, a city is not the actual city(urbarn area) in early stage. Later, it become a real city in later stages.
Do you understand what I am saying?

Of course, Hwaseong's population is over 500,000. But the whole Hwaseog is NOT the city you imagine. It's big administative region. Hwaseong is the upper administrative unit of Dongtan.
Only Dongtan is the proper city format in Hwaseong. You know what I am saying?
If you consider Hwaseong as a city. you would include tons of farmers, fisher mans, small vlliage people who don't live in urbarn areas.

This is the DATA from Hwaseong city hall's hamepage.http://www.hscity.go.kr/eng/About/seng23/index.html
Hwaseong consists of 21 districts (in plain words, 21 parts : 8 dongs, 3 eups, 10 myeons)
In korean administrative law, eup and myeon are the rural village administrative unit while dong is the city admistrative unit.
Dongtan's official population from the cityhall is 51,302 but I think the population of Dongtan is more than that. That's why I write 60,000.

Thank you for reading.

Source : http://www.hscity.go.kr/eng/About/seng23/index.html

Last edited by citypia; October 28th, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #146
citypia
future is today.

To dear Denjiro,
Let me explain further for the better and deeper understanding of Seoul capital area.

1. Topographycal feature of korea.

Look at the map below.
The green areas are flat plain area while yellow and brownish areas are mountains. Yes, Korea is 70% mountainous nation, which means only 30% inhabitable plain lands where people can easily form villages to live in.
As you can see in the map below, the biggest green areas are in northwest and midwest of korea. That's why population of korea is concentrated in certain areas, especially Gyeonggi-provice(know as Seoul capital area wrongly). That's not because seoul is the capital city but because Gyeonggi province was and is the good places to live in, especially for farmers in old days. Of course, there had been already many towns and villages before hanyang(the old name of Seoul) was chosen to be the capital city in Joseon dynasty.

2. Sudogwon, Honamgwon and Yeongnamgwon in old days.

In 60s and 70s, korea's public transportation system was poor, making difficult for people to get arround at those days. For that reason, the characters of provices was distict. So korea was divisible according to features such as sudogwon, honamgwon, yeongnamgwon etc.
Actually, Sudogowon is not an official name which hasn't exact borderlines.
the funny thing is that no one knew sudogwon's border where to start and where to end.

But nowdays, korea become a half-day life zone with excellent transportation system such as bullet-trains.(It takes only 2 hours 40 minutes from Seoul to Busan if using KTX train). And the characters of provinces disappear.
My point is that Sudogwon become meaningless since the distance in korea doesn't matter anymore. Whole country is just like within the capital city life zone.

3. Being overshadowed by big brother, Seoul

In western countries, a big city has its own suburbs.
Usually, the worker goes to work inside the city(downtown, CBD) at daytime and go home outside of city in the suburb at night. Therefore, the suburb usually functions as a bed town. No specific city funtions in suburb. The city and suburb have their own roles.

But in korea, it's quite differnt story. The concept of the city fuctions are quite differnt from the western countries. The concept of suburb is western concept.
In truth, many cities in Seoul capital area have their own identities and comunities. Not every cities are the Seoul's suburbs.
It's like a big compound zone, each cities has their own small city fuctions.
But if you say "Seoul capital area", you would erase these small cities in this zone.

What do you think about the word "Indochina"?
You know, this word explains the specific peninsula, using two famous two asian countries to western people, India and china.
This word describes the land where belongs to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and etc, using diffrent countries names.
Do you think that this word erases unique and beautiful nations such as Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos in the peninsula?
Seoul capital area is like this. Many cities are simply being overshadowed by big brother Seoul. You know what I means.

Last edited by citypia; October 28th, 2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #147
Fakroef

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Denjiro, thank you for your response.

First, do you believe everything whatever wikipedia says?
Do you think that wikipedia is always accurrate? Do you know how they get the data?
Second, do you know what "Sudogwon" means in korean?

OK, let me tell you what "Sudogwon" means first.
"Sudo" means "capital" in korean. "Gwon" means "area" in korean.
Therefore, 'Sudogwon" means "capital city area".

Now, let me ask you one question.
Do you know where the administrative capital of south korea" is?
Seoul? No!
Seoul is NOT the administrative capital city of south korea. Sejong city is the very administrative capital of south Korea.
Therefore, "Sudogwon" is the old term.
That word just originated when Seoul functioned as a perfect capital city in korea and dominated everything with the capital city's strong power.
So I firstly want to point out that "Sudogwon" is not Seoul capital area anymore. Yes, it's outdated knowledge of wikipedia.

Also, in korea, officially, no one uses Seoul capital area these days.
We call this area Gyeonggido, which is economically and politically the most powerful region in Korea.
Its whole population is bigger than those of Seoul.
People in Gyeonggido has their own pride and maybe be offended if someone call their land as Seoul capital area, which imply that their land is only the surrouding area of Seoul.
(Some people in Gyeonggido don't consider Seoul as the sun of the solar system. You know what I mean?)

Secondly, as I said before, Hwaseong consists of rural areas, fishing villages(which are not the city format) and urban area(Dongtan is the city format in Hwaseong.)
The "city" as a korean adminisrative term is a little bit different from original English meanings. The city as an administrative word in korea is the adimistration unit which gains when the rural area'population exceed 100,000.
For example, according to korean law, a farming village can be a city as an administrative unit when its population exceeds 100,000 after gaining approval from the government. So sometimes, a city is not the actual city(urbarn area) in early stage. Later, it become a real city in later stages.
Do you understand what I am saying?

Of course, Hwaseong's population is over 500,000. But the whole Hwaseog is NOT the city you imagine. It's big administative region. Hwaseong is the upper administrative unit of Dongtan.
Only Dongtan is the proper city format in Hwaseong. You know what I am saying?
If you consider Hwaseong as a city. you would include tons of farmers, fisher mans, small vlliage people who don't live in urbarn areas.

This is the DATA from Hwaseong city hall's hamepage.http://www.hscity.go.kr/eng/About/seng23/index.html
Hwaseong consists of 21 districts (in plain words, 21 parts : 8 dongs, 3 eups, 10 myeons)
In korean administrative law, eup and myeon are the rural village administrative unit while dong is the city admistrative unit.
Dongtan's official population from the cityhall is 51,302 but I think the population of Dongtan is more than that. That's why I write 60,000.

Thank you for reading.

Source : http://www.hscity.go.kr/eng/About/seng23/index.html
Just tell me how many kilometers away is Dongtan's from Seoul?
Fakroef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #148
City_of_Fury

Likes (Received): 521

Mar del Plata
Argentina

City_of_Fury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #149
citypia
future is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakroef View Post
Just tell me how many kilometers away is Dongtan's from Seoul?
If you only care the distance? I would recomend you to do your work by yourself then.
I'm not your answer machine.

By the way, my long explanation is NOT for you, for Denjiro.
No need to quote my long writing again in this page.
Old October 30th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #150
Denjiro
Heathen

Likes (Received): 7095

Sounds interesting citypia, thank you for your explanation.

Will Sejong City actually become the new capital of South Korea?
Is it a planned capital city like Brasilia, Astana or Canberra?
Old October 30th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #151
Fakroef

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
If you only care the distance? I would recomend you to do your work by yourself then.
I'm not your answer machine.

By the way, my long explanation is NOT for you, for Denjiro.
No need to quote my long writing again in this page.
No need to be rude citypia...
For us, westerns, itsa bit confusing to look the names and the geography of China, Korea, Japan, etc.
I cant find "Dongtan" on the gmaps, that's why i asked you, if its close to the "Hwaseong City " that i find on the map, then its really close to Seoul.
Fakroef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #152
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

bringing it back

Wilmington DE, population <100,000

NYC + Philly + Baltimore + Wilimington 2010 -24 by aaron.davidson, on Flickr
Old January 17th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #153
manuelmonge

Location: living in: Mexico City, from: Mazatlan, second cities: Obregon/Phoenix/Tucson
Likes (Received): 6870

MAZATLÁN, MÉXICO

image hosted on flickr

manuelmonge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #154
Andre Goth
Império do Brasil

Likes (Received): 4247

More pics of BALNEÁRIO CAMBORIÚ, Brazil, 124,557 hab in 2014

Image hosted on www.secturbc.com.br (no indication of the photographer at the source)

Image hosted on www.camboriualtopadrao.com.br by Clio Luconi

Image hosted on www.camboriualtopadrao.com.br by Clio Luconi
Old January 19th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #155
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28213

Huge skyline. I guess most of these towers are hotels which don't add inhibitants?

Andre Goth liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #156
Andre Goth
Império do Brasil

Likes (Received): 4247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Huge skyline. I guess most of these towers are hotels which don't add inhibitants?
Many are summer residences for people of the state of Santa Catarina, neighboring states, Argentina and Uruguay.

The fixed population is about 125.000 inhabitants, but the city can house up to 1,000,000 travelers, or eight times the population of the city
Old January 20th, 2015, 09:47 AM   #157
la_parca

Likes (Received): 1038

San Bernardo - Argentina - 8133 hab.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/9515350.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/75269009.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/9515115.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/19055449.jpg

wespje1990 liked this post
la_parca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #158
Kaufmann