daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #21
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 376

If you're a long way from the pitch you may as well go home and watch the game on TV. I prefer being as close to the action as I can at matches (or any sporting event).
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 27th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #22
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

According to that logic those who are not sit in the first 1-2 rows they "may as well go home and watch the game on TV" too.

Offcourse i don't agree with this way of thinking.

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 06:30 PM   #23
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 0

Here is a link to the Bristol City presentation on the new stadium, there is loads of information on the new stadium and there are a few good shots in there to.
http://www.bcfc.co.uk/staticFiles/61...~143969,00.pdf
berkshire royal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #24
Schmeek

BRISTOL - BCFC Ashton Vale (30,000)

Been deliberating over putting this one up for a while, but thought it might be of interest as it's a possible venue for the 2018 WC.

Planning decision is to be made next week, with the likelihood of it being approved fairly high.

Designed by HOK, it will cost in the region of £65m, and will be extendable to 42,000 with the addition of an extra 6,000 seat tier at each end. This could be permanent or temporary depanding on the circumstances. Bristol has been put forward as a possible host city for the FA's 2018 World Cup bid. Also, the team are pushing for promotion to the Premier league where increased capacity would probably be justified in a City of Bristol's size. Work could begin as early as next Spring, with Bristol City likely to be in their new home by the start of the 2012 season.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewStadiu...,10327,00.html
Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #25
Blue Lou

Likes (Received): 3

Isn't this on the backburner now that Tesco pulled out?
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #26
Schmeek

Not at all. The Tesco saga was regarding the development of the current ground, Ashton Gate. Tesco's scheme recieved alot of opposition, partly due to the fact there are already enough supermarkets in the area, and also because Tesco's aggressive expansion tactics elsewhere have given them a bad reputation - they have a history of saturating an area to kill off any rivals.

It's not really a case of Tescos pulling out, more a case of them being pushed out of the equation by Sainsburys, who want to move their current store across the road to the larger plot of land that is Ashton Gate. And thwart Tesco in the process.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetai...840330,00.html

The new stadium is a different site (about half a K away), so is a seperate issue.
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #27
SSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
Not at all. The Tesco saga was regarding the development of the current ground, Ashton Gate. Tesco's scheme recieved alot of opposition, partly due to the fact there are already enough supermarkets in the area, and also because Tesco's aggressive expansion tactics elsewhere have given them a bad reputation - they have a history of saturating an area to kill off any rivals.

It's not really a case of Tescos pulling out, more a case of them being pushed out of the equation by Sainsburys, who want to move their current store across the road to the larger plot of land that is Ashton Gate. And thwart Tesco in the process.

The new stadium is a different site (about half a K away), so is a seperate issue.
So Sainsbury's have muscled out Tesco? Nice.

Similar to Blue Lou the last I had heard was that Tesco had dropped out, and that without them purchasing the old site the new one was on hold. Good news that it's been resolved quickly.

From what I've seen the design is really unique, much better than the flat-pack, identikit stadiums that most people opt for these days.
SSE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #28
Schmeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
From what I've seen the design is really unique, much better than the flat-pack, identikit stadiums that most people opt for these days.
Well, it's a bit of both really. There is still a bit of flatpack in there (the lower bowl is almost a carbon copy of MK Dons' lower bowl, and the end stands roofing leaves alot to be desired), but also some innovative touches and it will have a certain amount of character to it compared with other newbuilds. With the ends extended it will be quite decent IMO, although 42k is far too much for City to be filling for now.
I'd like to see just one end extended, giving a large intimidating home end leaving the ground with 4 very different stands.
Old October 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #29
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 2

I don't think you can design from the outset a unique stadium (not even new anfield), it will always have something that feels uniform. It's really about adding different bits over the years, eventually when these flatpack stadiums need refurbs and modernisation they'll start to get character.

Is the extension dependent on the world cup or getting into the premier league schmeek?
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #30
Schmeek

Well if the WC comes to town, which is a high probability if England win the bid, expansion to meet the criteria will obviously be a necessity. These would take the form of temporary seats and roofing.
But if City reach the premiership before then, the plans are to permanently expand one of the ends, if not both.
Whether City could sustain that capacity after a few years in the prem remains to be seen (the average gate at the moment is only around 15-16k), but the potential is there. Bristol is fairly large with a massive catchment area.
I would like to think we will achieve Prem status in the next 5years, as the chairman is a proper Bristolian with very deep pockets and best of all is a City fan. The current squad is already geared to an assault on promotion thanks to his money with a good number of internationals and some with Champions league experience.
Interesting times down at the Gate.

Like you say, BBM, the flatpack will need time to evolve, but most of us city fans are just relieved it's not gonna be as bad as the thing they built across the river Severn recently..
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #31
bigbossman

I do agree that Bristol (the whole south west) is ripe for premier league football (i think i've said this in other threads). More so than central lancashire, wigan and bloody hull.

What is the news on Rovers? They've got a pretty latent fanbases that could support premier league football no?
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #32
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 3350

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
RMB2007 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:51 PM   #33
Luke80

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
What is the news on Rovers? They've got a pretty latent fanbases that could support premier league football no?
The Memorial ground has a capacity of 11,000 ish and that's with a pretty high percentage as terraces. If they made it into the Championship (and stayed there) they would have to expand or build a new ground anyway.

Just read on wiki that they have plans for an 18,500 all seater redevelopment. But delays are ongoing!

BTW, the City renders look great!
Luke80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:52 PM   #34
bigbossman

that's what i mean, the plans are old and i'd heard they'd been cancelled?
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:01 PM   #35
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 334

I think Bristol City could definitely get decent crowds in the PL if they manage to establish themselves. The city is what, the 5/6th largest in England? That’s before we consider the wider metro area and the fact it would be the only team from the entire South-West. The place also, unlike a lot of other towns, has, I believe, a growing population which is relatively wealthy. BC have established themselves as a regular play-off placed club in the Championship for the past few seasons; just need that final push! I think their slow building towards the PL might help them when they finally get there, rather than shooting up the table and thus being completely unprepared.

About the new ground, I quite like it, although the roof could be improved; looks a little cheap (could just be the renders)
kerouac1848 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:15 AM   #36
Schmeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
that's what i mean, the plans are old and i'd heard they'd been cancelled?
They recieved PP for their ground (at current site) a year or two ago. The project was stopped at the last minute due to the credit crunch - the investor responsible for the student accommodation part of the plans pulled out leaving the funding for the stadium project hanging in the balance - and has been on-off ever since. Rovers might have to re-apply for PP before they manage to go ahead with the build if it happens in the near future.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM   #37
Blue Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post

Thanks for that, good news for Bristol City then... all it needs now are the Gas as tenants *runs out of thread*
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #38
BS3_RED

Likes (Received): 5

Planning permission granted.

Get in there.
BS3_RED no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #39
Blue Lou

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homep...l/article.html

Quote:
MP Liam Fox puts boot into Bristol City's new stadium
Thursday, December 17, 2009, 07:00

97 readers have commented on this story.
Click here to read their views.

Tory MP Liam Fox has put the boot in to try to stop Bristol City FC's new £92-million stadium from being built on a green belt site at Ashton Vale.

The Evening Post has learned that he has written a letter to the Government department which will be making the final decision on the stadium plan, spelling out the objections of voters in his Woodspring constituency.

He has also written to North Somerset Council leader Nigel Ashton opposing a new entrance to the proposed stadium which would use the access road to the Long Ashton park and ride site.

In his letter to Councillor Ashton, he said: "I have written separately to GOSW (the Government Office of the South West) asking them to refuse to endorse Bristol City Council's proposed approval of the football stadium's planning application..."

Dr Fox told the Evening Post: "I am opposed to the stadium on the green belt because of the wider picture.

"I think it's fair to say that for me and lots of my constituents that because we are fighting over housing targets in the green belt, this has become an added complication.

"I think there are many people who would be much less concerned about the siting of the stadium if they knew it would not lead to the loss of green belt to more housing."

Dr Fox said there was a danger that if the stadium was built on green belt land, then it would set a precedent and strengthen the hand of developers.

He said this was due to a planning document called the Regional Spatial Strategy (RSS) which sets out Government targets for housing during the years ahead.

The Shadow Defence Secretary said if the Tories won the next General Election then the RSS would be scrapped and it would then be possible for the stadium plan to be considered as an isolated issue.

In his letter to John Bright, GOSW's regional director, Dr Fox says he has been asked by constituents to put some points to him.

The letter goes on to say that the stadium plan "flies in the face of good planning" and "would make a mockery of the Prime Minister's well-publicised promises to protect the green belt".

It adds: "If approved by GOSW, the precedent would be set for piecemeal incursion into the green belt – riding roughshod over local plans and interpreting financial advantage as 'very special circumstances' to permit building.

"Indeed, we hear already of a 'me too' proposal to build an indoor arena, previously proposed to be built on brown-field land, in the green belt adjacent to the proposed stadium."

Dr Fox said he would be "very interested" in Mr Bright's views as to whether the possibility of a World Cup match being played in Bristol constituted "very special circumstances" for giving approval.

In order to win planning permission for development on the green belt, the club must show there are "very special circumstances" for building a new stadium at Ashton Vale.

The club says its current ground at Ashton Gate is too small and outdated and does not meet its aspirations to play in the Premiership. It also says it has commissioned consultants to look at alternative sites but none is viable.

GOSW will draw up its own report on the stadium plans before putting the matter to Communities Secretary John Denham for a final decision.

The issue has to be dealt with by the Secretary of State because the application is for use of green belt land.

A spokesman for the Communities and Local Government department said the Secretary of State would take into account all views.

No one at the club was available for comment.

Dr Fox's comments follow a refusal by North Somerset councillors last week to give planning permission for an entrance to the proposed new stadium which would be built on a former tip which is now designated green belt land near the David Lloyd sports centre.

The decision was a recommendation which will now be discussed by the council's main planning committee on January 20.

The club has indicated it will launch an appeal if the decision goes against them.
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #40
Schmeek

Big day today. Councillors will once again meet to decide whether to approve or not.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetai...958582,00.html