daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Closed Thread

Old December 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #181
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired View Post
yes i liked the variety of dishes they had, better than a standard Chinese buffet, although the food wasn't as hot as i would have liked it. It was pretty warm.
Good variety indeed. I noticed the food wasn't that warm, as well.

I was amazed at how busy it was.

Sponsored Links

Old December 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #182
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
Good variety indeed. I noticed the food wasn't that warm, as well.

I was amazed at how busy it was.
yeah it has been busy from the moment it opened and yes it is a great place to go and eat - especially if you are like me and love chinese food (they were doing pizza for the whingers who dont like asian cuisine when i went!) Interestingly, i spoke to the bloke who co-owns the chain and he said that of all of the locations theyve set up a cosmo restaurant - including London (I think), Milton Keynes, Liverpool, Brum and a few others - This one has recieved the best reception and the business is very good, which i was surprised to hear.
ccfc-4-life no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #183
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Is this what you were referring to re: Coventry Airport:

http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/01...name_page.html
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #184
stig1982
stig1982

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfc-4-life View Post
yeah it has been busy from the moment it opened and yes it is a great place to go and eat - especially if you are like me and love chinese food (they were doing pizza for the whingers who dont like asian cuisine when i went!) Interestingly, i spoke to the bloke who co-owns the chain and he said that of all of the locations theyve set up a cosmo restaurant - including London (I think), Milton Keynes, Liverpool, Brum and a few others - This one has recieved the best reception and the business is very good, which i was surprised to hear.
I've had the good fortune of going twice now, once with friends and once with work. Both the food and the surroundings are excellent and it is a real credit to the city.

I'm not surprised it (and the surrounding Belgrade Plaza) are so popular. For years there has been little to offer the 300K+ inhabitants of Coventry (plus those in surrounding areas) and I personally think that we could host another 10+ good restaurants and still find they all operate successfully.

Hopefully it is a sign of things to come and we will see more restaurants and entertainment venues opening up elsewhere in the city, particularly in the retail dominated Precinct and the commercial dominated New Union Street/Salt Lane areas.
stig1982 no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #185
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig1982 View Post
I've had the good fortune of going twice now, once with friends and once with work. Both the food and the surroundings are excellent and it is a real credit to the city.

I'm not surprised it (and the surrounding Belgrade Plaza) are so popular. For years there has been little to offer the 300K+ inhabitants of Coventry (plus those in surrounding areas) and I personally think that we could host another 10+ good restaurants and still find they all operate successfully.

Hopefully it is a sign of things to come and we will see more restaurants and entertainment venues opening up elsewhere in the city, particularly in the retail dominated Precinct and the commercial dominated New Union Street/Salt Lane areas.
Coventry was terrible for restaurants 20 years ago - for a while there were only 2 or 3 in the city centre (Plus some curry houses, but they're ten a penny.)

Don't you think Warwick Road - especially with the row of old buildings on the the same side as the Litten tree - would also be a good location for restaurants? If the council had any guts they'd make the Uni's regeneration include street frontages along Gosford Street to complement those that are already there and getting rid of that bloody dead wall.
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #186
We-Are-Borg-1987

Likes (Received): 4

I'v been to Cosmo twice, its superb. Its great that people in Cov now have decent restaurants on their doorstep instead of having to go to Kenilworth/Leamington/Warwick etc.

With Covs 300k pop, plus Warwick District at 120,00 and Rugby Borough at 90,000, there are lots of potential customers nearby.
We-Are-Borg-1987 no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #187
LifeOnMarsBar

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Are-Borg-1987 View Post
...With Covs 300k pop, plus Warwick District at 120,00 and Rugby Borough at 90,000, there are lots of potential customers nearby.
Cosmo's alright - but i wouldn't drive 10miles just to get to one. But i would drive 10 miles to go to a theatre, concert or shopping and then might decide to eat at Cosmo depending on my mood.
LifeOnMarsBar no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #188
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeOnMarsBar View Post
Cosmo's alright - but i wouldn't drive 10miles just to get to one. But i would drive 10 miles to go to a theatre, concert or shopping and then might decide to eat at Cosmo depending on my mood.
Ditto.
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #189
We-Are-Borg-1987

I think Warwick Roads potential will be realised when Friargate creates a better connection to that area.

That reminds me actually, the grey Cov uni accomadation block on Manor House Drive that overlooks Warwick Road, called Quadrant Hall, was scheduled to be closed in the near future. I believe its closure was in the uni's 5 year plan. When demolished, an office block on the site would fit in nicely with Friargate, assuming the scheme itself is a success and if the demand is there. It could really help to develop a proper cluster of offices in the new business quarter. (Although obviously re-development of the site is 10 years away, I think Quadrant Hall is so detrimental to that area it will be so good for the city for it to go).

Last edited by We-Are-Borg-1987; December 11th, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #190
CovAD

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
I think Warwick Roads potential will be realised when Friargate creates a better connection to that area.

That reminds me actually, the grey Cov uni accomadation block on Manor House Drive that overlooks Warwick Road, called Quadrant Hall, was scheduled to be closed in the near future. I believe its closure was in the uni's 5 year plan. When demolished, an office block on the site would fit in nicely with Friargate, assuming the scheme itself is a success and if the demand is there. It could really help to develop a proper cluster of offices in the new business quarter. (Although obviously re-development of the site is 10 years away, I think Quadrant Hall is so detrimental to that area it will be so good for the city for it to go).
I'd hope Priory Hall would be for the chop earlier.

If you go to Google Maps and look up Manor House Drive into town from the edge of the HMRC car park it shows a rare opportunity of being able to all three spires in the same eyeline, especially if the tree obscuring Holy Trinity were to be removed.

It's why I think it's imperative this road is connected to Friargate and Broadgate via Greyfriars Road and utilised as a pedestrian/tourist trail into the city in order to help bring it back to life.
CovAD no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #191
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:

Is that the former YMCA building?
Old December 12th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #192
skybluecity

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovAD View Post
I'd hope Priory Hall would be for the chop earlier.
I believe it is. The demolition of Priory Hall forms part of the first phase of redevelopment and will quickly follow the completion of the SE Enterprise Building and the new facility on Gulson Road. Attention then turns to Whitefriars Street and the surface level car park next to the university sports centre with the focus on creating a landmark gateway building at the top of London Road.
skybluecity no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #193
We-Are-Borg-1987

Thats a good idea CovAD.

Cov unis plans sound great. With Priory Hall gone and what was mentioned on here recently about rumours of one day having Pool Meadow as an entertainment venue that area could work really well. If the Britannia was demolished as well there could be a building that connects up well with Priory Place.
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #194
We-Are-Borg-1987

I was flicking through a local Rugby paper thats a few weeks old and in a section about Rugbys housing quota it mentions that a planning application is expected in january 2010 to build 500 houses in Ryton. I'm guessing that will be for the ex-Peugeot site so we should see some movement on that at some point next year.
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #195
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Thats a good idea CovAD.

Cov unis plans sound great. With Priory Hall gone and what was mentioned on here recently about rumours of one day having Pool Meadow as an entertainment venue that area could work really well. If the Britannia was demolished as well there could be a building that connects up well with Priory Place.
Plus the new Sport's centre, the removal of the Elephant, the reconstruction of Fairfax Street, Cox Street, and sorting out the dismal landscape caused by the ringroad.

Oh, some wishful thinking there!
Old December 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #196
We-Are-Borg-1987

Lol, if you look at the timeframe for that in terms of decades, not years, then you never know!
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #197
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfc-4-life View Post
It's all going as previously planned, more or less. Watch this space for a major announcement next year...
Spaceport?
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #198
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
About 10 years ago they demolished loads of old cottages on the main road through Hillfields & some weaver's houses as well. It's a shame, really - they were in poor condition but still had a lot of the period features in them & the street probably looked close to how it was in the Victorian era (Apart from the towers behind it). They replaced it with a horrible space that opened up the bottom of the tower blocks and new houses.
This is what the street looks like now. Most of the old frontage buildings went 11 years ago.

Old December 13th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #199
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
Spaceport?
Ha! Good one.
Old December 14th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #200
ccfc-4-life
Play up Sky Blues

Likes (Received): 1