daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Closed Thread

Old February 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #1361
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 23

Another sodding Tesco then.

Sponsored Links

Old February 16th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #1362
Sebadude

Likes (Received): 4

I think this looks pretty exciting - but I want to see action!

We have so many schemes that are all talk and no building at the moment - Friargate, Belgrade Plaza, Jerde - I hope that Bishop Place will actually get finished?

This area is in desparate need of development so I'm all in favour, especially if it gets people circulating and shopping in what is now a virtually abandoned pocket of the city centre.
Sebadude no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #1363
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 87

Another supermarket? I would have thought there are more than enough already... And won't people just drive to it, do their weekly shop and then go? A bit like Ikea...

I like the built up feel it will create, but cannot really see a supermarket being much of a draw!

Maybe it'll be a Waitrose.

Co op never managed to make a go of a large city centre supermarket, though. I would not be surprised if Sainsbury's close their store down and move to it...

Last edited by NewTroll; February 16th, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
NewTroll no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #1364
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebadude View Post
I think this looks pretty exciting - but I want to see action!

We have so many schemes that are all talk and no building at the moment - Friargate, Belgrade Plaza, Jerde - I hope that Bishop Place will actually get finished?

This area is in desparate need of development so I'm all in favour, especially if it gets people circulating and shopping in what is now a virtually abandoned pocket of the city centre.

Bishop Place was canned, wasn't it?
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #1365
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Hey, just realised that this dev means the horrible little Kingstone shop will be demolished... That vile bunker thing.
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #1366
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
Another supermarket? I would have thought there are more than enough already... And won't people just drive to it, do their weekly shop and then go? A bit like Ikea...
Of course, and it's ideal for the Ring Road.

The notion of trying to attract a department store seems to have a vanished, surely such a sizeable site would be ideal.
Fernando Partridge no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #1367
CovAD

Likes (Received): 7

The render looks good - glazing like Friars House helps add colour. In my head I still had it looking like the sorting office but it's very different - I didn't think the structure would be able to be altered that much.

A big dept store would have been better but if they're not interested in the retail core why would they be interested in a much more isolated development. As for it being a Waitrose If Sainsbury's moved into it after all the fuss and problems they caused with Priory Place
CovAD no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #1368
CovAD

Apparently the Broadgate plans are being redone to be greener.

Disagree with the Society saying that green spaces don't work in city centres though and find it slightly hypocritical - they've protected Greyfriars Green and extolled the virtues of its extension in the Friargate plans.
CovAD no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #1369
skybluecity

This development will happen I'm sure, as the developer has already committed a substantial amount of money by buying the building and adjacent land, and the fact they did this with things being as they are suggests they are serious about it.

Supermarket? Why not? Seen this often in Spain where a city centre development is anchored by a Carrefour or some other large food outlet. Better than out of town surely? Some will drive in and out for sure, but others will spill into other areas of the development. Certainly this would be a massive improvement on what is there at the moment and providing it is genuinely mixed use and is of a high quality I'm all for it, and perhaps it might kick start other developments in the area.
skybluecity no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #1370
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post
This development will happen I'm sure, as the developer has already committed a substantial amount of money by buying the building and adjacent land, and the fact they did this with things being as they are suggests they are serious about it.

Supermarket? Why not? Seen this often in Spain where a city centre development is anchored by a Carrefour or some other large food outlet. Better than out of town surely? Some will drive in and out for sure, but others will spill into other areas of the development. Certainly this would be a massive improvement on what is there at the moment and providing it is genuinely mixed use and is of a high quality I'm all for it, and perhaps it might kick start other developments in the area.
Spanish Cities and towns tend to have more residents living in the centre, though. Coventry is nothing like a Spanish City.

Most people in Coventry have no need to go to the city centre to get their food.

I think the plan itself is ok, but can't see a supermarket really bringing life into the city centre.

IMHO, the shitty entertainment facilities in Coventry need improving, but the council are obsessed with retail.
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1371
skybluecity

but this is driven by a private developer not the council, and presumably they are confident that this will work. in any case, the supermarket element is just one aspect of a much wider development.

nothing wrong with city centre supermarkets imo. so much has been lost to out of town retail parks that anything that reverses that trend is OK by me. why shouldn't people shop for food in town? people did use the co-op when it was there, but it was a co-op when all said and done. i have been in supermarkets in other cities, certainly I've been in a Morrisons in Leeds city centre.

i take your point about spanish cities, but I lived 10 miles from one for 5 years and would routinely travel into town to food shop (rather than visit an out of town alternative) because we could combine that activity with shopping for clothes, eating out or some other leisure activity. done right this will be fine. what are the alternatives anyway, do nothing or student flats? what else could possibly be built there? certainly not offices as no developer would be that foolish considering friargate is on the table. superstore, retail units, new street frontage, leisure centre - i'll take that anyday of the week.
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #1372
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Not sure I have any confidence in Private Developers - these are, after all, the people who have borrowed heavily to build a lot of developments that were totally unviable and are now languishing half built, half sold or bankrupt!

Nothing wrong with city centre supermarkets if there's a lot of people to use it. However, I doubt many people doing their weekly shop will bother going elsewhere for a shop. And most people in Coventry already live close to a supermarket. There are 3 sainsbury's, four Tescos, ASDAS, Morrisons, plus plenty of smaller ones. It's completely crazy. We had the same old crap about IKEA, and that never happened.

Of couse, supermarkets have killed off a lot of retailers as they sell electronics, entertainment goods and clothes.

People like Borders could not survive next door to a Tesco, so I imagine HMV and Waterstones are going to have a tough time of it with a retailer down the road undercutting them!

It could actually be quite detrimental to the city centre.

A poor development that has detrimental effects elsewhere is better than nothing, IMHO!

Co op may have been used, but not enough to keep it going.

I guess this is all they can attract to this dump, though.
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1373
skybluecity

not sure how building something the city centre doesn't have, in an area where there is currently nothing can have a detrimental effect on the city centre. it will bring people into the city centre, and the development appears to stretch much further toward the junction with corporation street than i envisaged.

a few weeks ago we were talking about a reclad sorting office being turned into student flats. what we have got goes way beyond that, much further than we could have hoped for imo. it's not going to change the face of coventry, but we can hope at the very least that it is of a decent quality and turns out to be viable and create some footfall in a part of town where there is currently none at all.

i'll wait for the finer details before passing judgement. what sort of leisure centre will it be, what facilities will the leisure centre have, how many non-food retail outlets will there be, what will the ring-road frontage be like - all questions that need to be asked, but we'll see.

certainly refreshing to have some positive news. private developers that are willing make an investment in coventry city cente that isn't student flats shocker!

fingers crossed on this one.
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #1374
Sebadude

Likes (Received): 4

Absolutely skybluecity, totally agree.
Sebadude no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #1375
We-Are-Borg-1987

Likes (Received): 6

This proposal goes way beyond what I was expecting! It looks stunning! Increasing footfall in the area will be a challenge but I'm sure this will be a success. I think a supermarket anchoring this scheme is probably inevitable, as whilst supermarkets aren't completly 'reccession-proof' they ae the closet there is to being so in the retail sector.
We-Are-Borg-1987 no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1376
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post
not sure how building something the city centre doesn't have, in an area where there is currently nothing can have a detrimental effect on the city centre. it will bring people into the city centre, and the development appears to stretch much further toward the junction with corporation street than i envisaged.
Supermarkets use loss leading tactics on goods such as books, games and CDs. Why do you think Borders closed? They could not compete with supermarkets on the same retail parks selling their major product at half price! Take THIS into a city centre and you've got a recipe for disaster for the retailers clinging onto what trade they have left.

*Who* will it bring into the city centre who doesn't already come into the city centre to use Sainbury's?

We all know the problem that Coventry has - one that has seen it slide to 60th in the retail rankings. Is the answer a huge city centre supermarket? (One that's slap bang in the middle of the city's poorest wards as well.)

Whilst I think the building is good for the area, I can't think anything worse than another supermarket. Sorry, but we have enough of them, and I loathe the idea of the main destroyer of town centres now moving into town centres to mop up what's left.
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #1377
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Are-Borg-1987 View Post
This proposal goes way beyond what I was expecting! It looks stunning! Increasing footfall in the area will be a challenge but I'm sure this will be a success. I think a supermarket anchoring this scheme is probably inevitable, as whilst supermarkets aren't completly 'reccession-proof' they ae the closet there is to being so in the retail sector.
Why are you sure it'll be a success?
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #1378
CovAD

I can see the point NT is making - if the supermarket isn't a success due to it's out of the way location, the retailer will pull out and a lot of space in the development will be unused. If it is a success then people will park around the development and tend to stay in that area as its so cut off , buy everything they need there and go home again, and a lot of the other retailers may struggle to compete and eventually create even more empty units. IKEA is a good example of how people don't leave the one area but as they don't sell absolutely everything at least the other retailers stand a chance with that.

I've said for a long time I want some of the suburban retail parks closed to help the city centre, but I was thinking more along the lines of Alvis and Central Six which have many different retailers than the likes of the Asda by London Road or Sainsbury's on the A45.

I think the main difference between the Spanish example and here is the same as that for the al fresco dining - climate. Most people see food shopping as a chore so want to get it over with. If you can relieve that with a walk around the city great, but if the weathers cold and wet it'd just make the entire experience worse. The lack of entertainment in the city centre doesn't help but who knows, maybe the footfall will help attract some (unless the council step in and say it's unnecessary )

It'll be interesting to see how it affects the usage of the ring road - J1 is already probably the most widely used and the only one that hasn't got an over/underpass to allow traffic to continue flowing freely.
CovAD no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #1379
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

You have to look at how people tend to use supermarkets: for a single visit to do a weekly shop and you're right, it's a chore. IKEA is the same - a single destination visit that takes a while. I can't really see how a supermarket will bring any benefit to the other retailers. In fact, supermarkets tend to like it this way as they WANT you to buy everything from them. This is what they do.

Sainsbury's already have the city centre sewn up. I can imagine the demand for a city centre supermarket is pretty flat and this new one may just be the old one in a newer building.

Maybe I'm wrong, I often am! It just doesn't feel right to me - I've lived in Coventry long enough to sense when something isn't really quite right. Books and research can make you into a cynic! Knowledge is bad.

Right, I'm off to Tesco.

Last edited by NewTroll; February 16th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
NewTroll no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #1380
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Oh if it's a Waitrose it'd be good... Something different that may well get people in...

Closed Thread

Tags
coventry