daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #21
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

The Petit Trianon at Versailles certainly marks a beginning in the rise of neoclassicism in France. Although not totally devoid of the elements that mark the earlier styles of French Classicism, one can already appreciate the emergence of the new style in the complete absence of arches and in the cool severity of its style.

image hosted on flickr

Compare it with the "softer" and more ornate Grand Trianon not too far away.

image hosted on flickr
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #22
cna

Likes (Received): 1

However, the Roman continued, London is the true centre of the globe today - expressed, "The Star".
cna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #23
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cna View Post
However, the Roman continued, London is the true centre of the globe today - expressed, "The Star".
I don't get what you mean here.

For me, there is no true center of the globe (except the geologic center, I guess.) Certainly not in art and architecture.
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #24
cna

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe View Post
I don't get what you mean here.

For me, there is no true center of the globe (except the geologic center, I guess.) Certainly not in art and architecture.
The architecture is more interesting in London than Paris. It kills off the North and South and becoming the perfect. Rome is too old and Paris is simply not on the same tier, the way too French, that puts off the people globally. For me, it's Okay but London IS the centre of the culture and (information) technology. Stop using IKEA and try purchasing the expensive Victorian furnitures and never wanting the rubbish, breaking up the cheap glasses. The British Empire is truely the most advanced state out of the whole planet. My fingers crossed.

cna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #25
tpe

Quote:
The architecture is more interesting in London than Paris. It kills off the North and South and becoming the perfect. Rome is too old and Paris is simply not on the same tier, the way too French, that puts off the people globally. For me, it's Okay but London IS the centre of the culture and (information) technology. Stop using IKEA and try purchasing the expensive Victorian furnitures and never wanting the rubbish, breaking up the cheap glasses. The British Empire is truely the most advanced state out of the whole planet. My fingers crossed.

Well, as far as art and architecture are concerned, I personally prefer Paris to London. Nothing wrong with your opinion, nonetheless.

Victorian furniture is OK, but the true valuable English furniture is the furniture of the 18th century. Victorian furniture is simply not on the same league -- it is commonly too heavy and (at times, barbarically) ornate, lacking the true grace and finesse of the finest 18th century English workmanship. And the difference shows in the PRICE.

But I admit that I prefer French furniture of the 18th century -- and most of the people who go for these things will agree -- just look at the auctions at Christie's and Sotheby's and you will know.

Last edited by tpe; October 30th, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #26
vittorio tauber
Doing It My Way

Likes (Received): 15521

Frankly I believe Paris and London are so different from each other that I could never choose one out the two, since I can enjoy both for pretty different reasons.
vittorio tauber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #27
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittorio tauber View Post
Frankly I believe Paris and London are so different from each other that I could never choose one out the two, since I can enjoy both for pretty different reasons.

I agree. It is a matter of personal preference.
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:37 AM   #28
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3755

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe View Post
But Palladio is of course very Veneto -- and not in keeping with the High Roman style of the period.

There is certainly a lot of Baroque scattered all around the globe -- the colonial churches of Spain and Portugal are proof of this.

But you misunderstand me. I meant the 2 designs for the Louvre -- Bernini's and Perrault's. Of the two, Perrault's proved to be the more influential.
Palladio is much before Baroque, or Perrault or neoclassicism. He lived in the IIH of XVI century, his style (while still unique) aligned with Manierism of his time.

Anyway going back to the topic Rome influenced in many many ways architecture:

1) domes and cupolas. From the Pantheon onwards, the most spectacular domes have been invented in Rome. Greeks surely did not invent it. Domes where a typical roman features thanks to their mastery of cement (which was re-discovered only much later)

2) Early christian church and basilicas - inspired to Ancient Roman buildings - from the late antiquity set the rules and the basics for all religious buildings of the - dark -years to come

3) High renaissance was born in Florence but moved to Rome. The sistine chapel, the papal loggias, the gardens are all marvels of a great time of renewal for the city

4) Baroque was truly invented in Rome, in Rome the greatest masters of the time (Bernini and Borromini) lived and worked. Counter-reformation churches had their staples in Rome

5) RococÚ masterpiece like Trevi fountain and the Spanish steps set the tone of the century also in the 18th century,

I shall say Rome had an impact on architecture no city can match. Has been the most important place of architecture in antiquity, in middle ages (bar the gothic period). Renaissance was imported from Florence but flourished there, Baroque was born there. RococÚ had important works.
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:43 AM   #29
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Let's put some proves.

Great ancient roman architecture: The pantheon (many thanks to Pincio...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
PANTHEON

Site of painter Raphael grave. Circular temple dedicated to "All the Gods", rebuilt by the emperor Hadrian c.AD 120. Transformed into the Christian church Sta Maria ad Martyres in the Middle Ages. Tombs of Raphael and Victor Emmanuel II.

[IMG]http://i41.************/nn6sdg.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mlcga/1357033880/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmgrams...7602726052244/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/debbiesabadash/485482400/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommasomanzi/1832042564/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdbryan/188541071/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...827174&page=14
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:46 AM   #30
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

High Renaissance: the sistine chapel

Quote:
THE SISTINE CHAPEL (VATICAN CITY)

Where the cardinals are sealed during the mysterious ritual of conclave. The Sistine Chapel ceiling, painted by Michelangelo between 1508 and 1512, is one of the most renowned artworks of the High Renaissance.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coyaune/3201244434/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vt_prof...th/2583254603/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbell1975/2370055374/
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:47 AM   #31
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Baroque: Piaza Navona and fontana dei 4 fiumi. The church is Borromini, the fountain is Bernini

Quote:
FOUNTAIN OF THE FOUR RIVERS
(Path of Illumination/Water)

In Bernini's fountain four male figures represent the main rivers of the four continents known back in the 17th Century: the Gange (Asia), Danube (Europe), Nile (Africa) and Rio de la Plata (Americas). An obelisk with dove atop stands tall over the fountain.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3427230069/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/njk1951/3356804891/

[IMG]http://i30.************/55rmex.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fspugna/2190245533/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/unairedondo/3386005102/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamzahydri/216937936/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jankunst/505070975/
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:01 AM   #32
kimsmelling

Likes (Received): 0

I am not against Paris or Stockholm actually, I've been to both and so called, typical globally friendly city...however, for any Londoners or Romans do not choose them, because they can make decent cooler judgement, taking Rome to Paris, Oslo to Stockholm, for instance. Take your short-sighted, thick glasses off, they are NOT anything more valuable than London is. There are just too many uneducated terrorist cultivating school leavers here! The Ma'am is crying, having such ideots like some of you here. What are these cities can offer more quality to London. You are completely retarded. In your language, you are some kind of brainless...aren't you silly boys/girls. If you are into the terrorism, I will teach you some lessons. After all, I have still got my task to finish up the devil worshippers that does not even exist, and delusion seekers. The Midgard does not exist in reality, you get me. Why are you trying to really make the one, the terrorists. That teaching is the way to the criminal. Have you got your head working, does not need to become the one. See what IRA does. Or Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, Stalin, whatever. That is you! This is NOT the middle age or stone age, any more. You cannot have a rifle and just kill people, that is illegal.

Last edited by kimsmelling; October 31st, 2009 at 03:09 AM.
kimsmelling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:03 AM   #33
kimsmelling

@Eddard Stark

Nice pics. I will also post some, if something struck into me.
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:20 AM   #34
Minato ku

Please stop trolling, cna or kimsmelling as your newest account.
This thread is about the roman influence in the world architecture.

Last edited by Minato ku; October 31st, 2009 at 03:26 AM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 03:38 AM   #35
kimsmelling

Let me clarify, I am not interested in the French or Swedish girls!

That is some nerd-tagetting. I never go to Paris or Stockholm ever again. Do not get me started some trashy long stories.

I am just a monkey never wears the glasses and not a gay.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:07 AM   #36
kimsmelling

This forum is actually weird. Is this anti-London forum or what, I am OK in London in reality, I am NOT the criminal himself. I've shown what he has done all the way through, so far. I can tell you who really is an ugly criminal and the most evil being on the whole planet, making this world all polluted and turned it into something which should not be. Do you know who that is. Not Germany, Italy, or Japan, but the criminal wannabes and invaders sealed as the war criminal. I am telling you that the Midgard does not exist, but that is you creating it. London is the most beautiful city on earth, that's the end of the story. London is not located in Sweden or Italy, but Britain. Keep it shining and independent out of Europe. For me, I am careless of your origin, but showed me something good, which is enough. I only dislike those who destroy the world worshipping something does not exist. The UK is NOT Midgard, stop making the prison! Stay who you are, Viking, Roman, Celts, whoever. But do not become the Hooligans. Nationalism is the ugliest thing in the whole world, some clueless gangsters. Now, all of you have become cultured, wealthy, turned into the human being. No fears but joy, all secured to be the perfectn and now goes back to the richest nation in the whole world. Or...do you want the silly peninsula stuffs instead, that just destroys this country. Silly, mental suicidal wish. Never let the Sunset happenes again.
Old October 31st, 2009, 09:03 PM   #37
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
I wonder if any copies can beat the original. Some Romans might say that those copies are rubbish. For instance, they say that Veneto Street is better than Champs-…lysťes. These are some of my favourite, sorry for my ignorance.

IMG]
It depends, Roman architecture is a common western heritage, but we are still going to change aspects of it, same way the Romans altered Greek architecture to their needs and desires.
However, I donít think it makes it inferior.
Look at Washington DC, it is like stepping back to an ancient city (architecturally speaking) but there are influences of American taste that have changed things out of need, such as the US capitol, it is in classical style, but has Victorian influences on the exterior and interior, but this doesnít make it inferior.

I live in a city (Indianapolis) that went through major building projects of monuments and so on, constructing a great deal of structures to mimic classical architecture, but like I said, there are differences.
People love classical architecture, and for those in the west, it is also part of our heritage, but people donít want to constantly remake styles (though at times it is very pleasing).
A great deal of people like to stick to classical fashion, but naturally they are going to change things, but that doesnít make it inferior, simply because it is just a changing of fashion, like the Romans did with the Greeks.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:42 AM   #38
BANNED

I am not very keen on the Hellenic Architectures. I cannot see the point of spreading the doctrines over the East. I am just amazed of the Roman sense of beauty and knowledge built. The best of all - Spain and France are the mimics. And, Germany. . .is like Ketchup. The elegant Italian design is the highest quality of all, and very expensive. Italy is the way too hygenic and frosty. Look at the streets of Germany - full of dusts I can point out for ever. If Germany is perfect to your eyes, then probably need some medical treatment. It just makes me laugh.
15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 03:24 PM   #39
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
It depends, Roman architecture is a common western heritage, but we are still going to change aspects of it, same way the Romans altered Greek architecture to their needs and desires.
However, I donít think it makes it inferior.
Look at Washington DC, it is like stepping back to an ancient city (architecturally speaking) but there are influences of American taste that have changed things out of need, such as the US capitol, it is in classical style, but has Victorian influences on the exterior and interior, but this doesnít make it inferior.

I live in a city (Indianapolis) that went through major building projects of monuments and so on, constructing a great deal of structures to mimic classical architecture, but like I said, there are differences.
People love classical architecture, and for those in the west, it is also part of our heritage, but people donít want to constantly remake styles (though at times it is very pleasing).
A great deal of people like to stick to classical fashion, but naturally they are going to change things, but that doesnít make it inferior, simply because it is just a changing of fashion, like the Romans did with the Greeks.
Washington an ancient city architecturally speaking? It's as new-world as you can get with it's broad parks and alleys which were nonexistent in "ancient" cities. A few neoclassical building (which is not an ancient style) doesn't make it a little bit less american
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:21 PM   #40
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
Washington an ancient city architecturally speaking? It's as new-world as you can get with it's broad parks and alleys which were nonexistent in "ancient" cities. A few neoclassical building (which is not an ancient style) doesn't make it a little bit less american
That isnít what I mean, the layout is far from Ancient, what I am talking about are the Monuments, government structures, etc almost all of theme are in styles that borrow heavily from ancient styles.
The Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Washington Monument, etc, all obviously borrow from ancient designs.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote