daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #461
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14460

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG1023 View Post
I transited through IEV twice between september 4-6 and the old domestic terminal was still in use then.
So, is the new Domestic terminal in service now ?
Judging the photos the fence around it during construction has been removed already.
At least the new terminal is closer to the international terminal now ...
Yes, new temporary domestic terminal is in use now. How was your experience of using IEV in general?
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #462
MHG1023

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equario View Post
Yes, new temporary domestic terminal is in use now. How was your experience of using IEV in general?
Well ...
A lot has changed since my first visit in 2005 ...
All flights were operated from the old domestic terminal in 2005.
I just had a single flight out of IEV then (BALTIKA LET-410/UR-VTV to LWO)

This time my first impression was the significant increase in traffic (scheduled flights but also business aircraft).

To put my recent experience in the right perspective:
This time I have flown Motor Sich AN-24 UDJ-IEV / IEV-(OZH)-KWG YAK-40 on one day and Air Onix B735 SIP-IEV-BTS on my way back.

When I arrived at IEV from UDJ on sep 4 I found myself in the old domestic terminal which was absolutely no issue for me.
As it was shitty weather (pouring rain for most of the day) there was little to do beside chatting with two Hungarian spotters that were on the same flight from UDJ.
We just went to the aviation museum later in the day when the rain stopped ...
On our way to the museum we passed by the new domestic terminal still fenced off and also along the new international terminal where we took a peek inside.
And although it was modern I sensed it was already too small for the number of passengers it handled. Really crowded !
This impression was confirmed on my way back from Simferopol via IEV to Bratislava on sep 6.

One thing left a really bitter taste behind and Iīm not sure who is to blame for that (Iīm leaning towards blaming Air Onix) :
I had booked SIP-IEV-BTS with Air Onix (OG) and both flights were on one ticket (and same PNR).
Staff at SIP was not able to tag my luggage through to BTS or even issue my corresponding boarding pass for IEV-BTS (this was not mentionned during the booking process) but I was still okay with it since I had enough time at IEV to pick up my luggage and check in again.
When I arrived at IEV from SIP the aircraft was parked right next to the new international terminal.
All passengers were transferred by bus to the old domestic terminal where we waited for another 20 mins until our luggage arrived.
It was then that I discovered except for Motor Sich thereīs no other Airline serving the old domestic terminal anymore and my departing flight to BTS was leaving from the new international terminal.
At the domestic terminal was no OG-staff and I felt like stranded for a moment.
After a few minutes I - accidently - stumbled over a small bus outside and found out that is a shuttle between both terminals. Fine I thought and entered only to be told I have to pay for it.
The amount was not an issue but the fact I had to pay for something I even was not aware I had to arrange myself.
When I arrived at the international terminal I inquired about this issue at check in but since Air Onix has outsourced it the agent just shrugged her shoulder and checked me in.
I tried to contact the local station manager - without success.
Even at the ticket counter the lady responded in an embarrassed way and turned around without even giving an answer to my still politely asked questions on my issue.

I really felt like attitudes from soviet era are still present ...

Last edited by MHG1023; October 15th, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
MHG1023 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:08 AM   #463
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Pity to hear that. Air Onix is a "young" company, though it's not an excuse. And as you pointed out, they need to work on some issues more carefully and improve quality of the service.

Maybe there something that you liked about your trip?
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #464
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=85866&size=large

Kolony, sturmm, Igor L. liked this post
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #465
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=85871&size=large

Kolony liked this post
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #466
MHG1023

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:

Pity to hear that. Air Onix is a "young" company, though it's not an excuse. And as you pointed out, they need to work on some issues more carefully and improve quality of the service.

Maybe there something that you liked about your trip?
Regarding my particular Air Onix experience I am still wondering why it happened !
I guess that I got "trapped" into unfortunate circumstances because Air Onix only operates from the international terminal.
There might be a problem to handle incoming domestic luggage/passengers in the international terminal.
So, thatīs the reason why our arrival was handled in the domestic terminal.
But Iīm not sure who is to blame for the inconvenience.
(reasons could be Ukrainian immigration/law or ignorance of Air Onix to arrange a better solution for a seamless experience ?)

But in the end - regardless where the origin of the problem lies - Air Onix certainly knows about the problem and should at the very least have advised me of the transfer procedure.
And nice a gesture with little cost to the airline would have been to provide gratis transfer between both terminals.
In that case I would not be angry at all but just look at the situation as sort of "minor inconvenience" caused by unfortunate circumstances without Air Onix to be blamed for it ...

Well, of course I had also positive experiences during my trip !

This is sort of a small trip report ...
My main target for my trip to Ukraine was to fly YAK-40 and AN-140 (priority in this order).
Flying possibly on an AN-24 had a lesser priority since I had been on AN-24 three times before (2X LOT and 1X ARP-410)
I was excited when I heard that Motor Sich had re-introduced the YAK-40 on scheduled flights because this type was on my to-do list for a long time already and since the AN-140 is a beautyful aircraft for me and I was curious how Antovov defines the term "modern aircraft".

So, Motor Sich was my perfect match as I did not want to deal with visa issues for Russia !

Booked UDJ-IEV for the AN-140 and IEV-KWG for the YAK-40 with a whole day to spare in Kiev between both flights and hoped that weather would be nice enough to visit the aviation museum.
When I arrived early in the morning at Uzhgorod airport (it was still dark) all I could see on the tarmac was an - AN-24 - ...
After my initial disappointment I decided to be still happy and excited since the AN-140 will still be around for a while but the AN-24 ??? Who knows ...?
Then slowly the airport became alive and after some problems to open the terminal I was checked in.
The flight left right on time and was really smoothe.
(arrival 10 mins late due to the lower speed of the AN-24 compared to AN-140)
During the flight I discovered (again???) that the AN-24 is not that uncomfortable if you compare with similar aircraft of the same era. In particular the noise level was not too bad !
I was also pleased to see that the aircraft (UR-MSI) had a well maintained interior.
Of course one can see the age of the aircraft (mainly that itīs simply from a different era) but I really enjoyed the flight !
This was also due to the flight attendant being really friendly (and attractive )
As we chatted a bit and I explained her the reason of my trip she told me that at least my YAK-40 flight will be 100% assured on that day and that I was likely to get a little "extra" for my money ...
That little extra would be due to the fact that Motor Sichīs AN-140 was in maintenance (which was the reason for the aircraft change on UDJ-IEV) and since the AN-24 is normally assigned to the OZH-IEV route Motor Sich OPS had decided to combine the two flights from IEV to OZH and KWG.
It later turned out she was right and my flight to KWG went to OZH first before heading for KWG.
So, that little extra was the second 30 mins flight between OZH and KWG
Onboard I had a nice experience despite the significantly narrower seats compared to the AN-24.
UR-88310 has a refurbished interior with comfortable leather seats and the cabin was in good condition.
As far as I can judge it from an outsider perspective Motor Sich seems to look after their aircraft properly and their older aircraft may be still around for a while as long as maintenance (spare parts !) does not become too difficult.
Because utilization of their aircraft is rather low this operation maybe still viable for some time.
Only if they increase flight hours significantly more modern aircraft will be more economically !

Finally a few additional comments regarding Air Onix.
I booked a through ticket SIP-IEV-BTS and both flights were 100% ontime (so that fits to their claim being the most punctual airline in Ukraine).
Both flights were on the same aircraft (B737-500 UR-KRC) which was in acceptable condition.
The interior was clearly showing its age but everything was complete - nothing broken.
Crews were ok but not overly friendly.
Something that always gets my attention is how safety procedures (not just the preflight demo!) are followed and I have to say Air Onix gets 100% score !
Crews always made sure thereīs no luggage in exit rows and all seatbacks are upright (etc.) during t/o and ldg !

So, it was only my personal transit experience that put a shadow on my Air onix experience.
I would fly again OG as long as it does not involve a connection.

Equario liked this post
MHG1023 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:12 AM   #467
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86011&size=large

Kolony liked this post
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #468
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86014&size=large

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86016&size=large

Kolony, Igor L., kaqla dougfa liked this post
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #469
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86017&size=large

Kolony, Igor L. liked this post
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #470
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86030&size=large

Kolony, Igor L. liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:53 PM   #471
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86187&size=large

Igor L., Kolony liked this post
Old October 25th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #472
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=42914&size=large

Kolony, White Bear liked this post
Old October 25th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #473
sturmm
BANNED

Likes (Received): 604

Drop in passenger traffic at the airport Borispol slowed to 3.3 % in September 2013 , according to the statistics of the airline . This month, the airport handled 872.3 thousand passengers during last year's figure at 901.9 thousand passengers.

Passenger traffic on international routes in September of this year amounted to 791.4 thousand ( -2.2 % compared to September 2012 ) , and on the interior - 80.9 thousand ( 12.5 %).

The number of serviced at the airport Borispol flights in September 2013 was 7,979 , of which 3,986 to 3,993 flight and on arrival .

Total passenger traffic in January- September 2013 amounted to 5 million 986.3 thousand, which is 10.4 % less than the same period last year.

5 million 439.4 thousand passengers used the international line ( -7.1 %) and 546.9 thousand people - internal ( -33.9 %).

A significant drop in the number of passengers at the airport Borispol was recorded at the beginning of this year due to the termination of operations of the country 's largest airline Aerosvit , which resulted in approximately a third of all traffic at the airport.
http://www.avianews.com/ukraine/2013...rispol_9.shtml
sturmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #474
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Swiss is resuming KBP's service

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86384&size=large

eeee., Kolony, Iggis liked this post
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #475
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

Good for me.
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #476
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86377&size=large

Kolony liked this post
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #477
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86322&size=large

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86393&size=large

Kolony liked this post
Old October 29th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #478
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Quote:
Swiss is resuming KBP's service

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86442&size=large

Kolony liked this post
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #479
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG1023 View Post
Regarding my particular Air Onix experience I am still wondering why it happened !
I guess that I got "trapped" into unfortunate circumstances because Air Onix only operates from the international terminal.
There might be a problem to handle incoming domestic luggage/passengers in the international terminal.
So, thatīs the reason why our arrival was handled in the domestic terminal.
But Iīm not sure who is to blame for the inconvenience.
(reasons could be Ukrainian immigration/law or ignorance of Air Onix to arrange a better solution for a seamless experience ?)
Ukrainian customs and customs law has nothing to do with this. Just you were unlucky to be trapped in this transactions between the terminals.

All in all, it's good to hear that you enjoyed your trip!
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #480
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Traffic

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86389&size=large

Knyaz, Kolony liked this post

Tags
european hub airport, kiev, kyiv, ukraine