daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM   #141
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solopop View Post
ew delete gross.
aw, you and isaidso can be bias buddies suuuh cute.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:25 PM   #142
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

I thought you were leaving.

bye now hun. xoxoxo
Solopop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:30 PM   #143
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

There seems to be a recurring theme: 'Sydney is the cat's meow and if you don't think so I'm going to go ballistic all over your ass'. I'm half way around the world and am developing an allergic reaction to Sydney. I can't imagine being only one state over. Holy shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
that's me done in this thread. maybe one day you'll board a big jet plane and see Sydney for yourself.
I'm more likely to head straight to Melbourne, then to Brisbane. Sydney's not my cup of tea, but people seem intent on ramming it down my throat anyway.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; December 23rd, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:54 PM   #144
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

Sydney + Melbourne is the easy choice for me, followed by London, Paris, Frankfurt and Madrid. I'm really starting to admire Frankfurt's skyline:
image hosted on flickr

Frankfurt am Main by Frankfurt, on Flickr
Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:56 PM   #145
MelboyPete
Proud Melbournian

Likes (Received): 195

Wow....that's a nice shot of Frankfurt
MelboyPete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 02:01 PM   #146
Dimethyltryptamine

@isaidso - I'm far from Sydney's biggest fan, and I know all the NSW folk are sick to death of me bashing Sydney all the time in their section, but I'm going to stand up and give credit where I deem it due. Very rarely will you see me toot Sydney's horn, but it's skyline is something Sydney does very well.

I just don't get how someone can sit back and say the things you say without ever having been.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM   #147
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

i really love brisbanes newest building
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 03:49 PM   #148
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Likes (Received): 5634

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
There seems to be a recurring theme: 'Sydney is the cat's meow and if you don't think so I'm going to go ballistic all over your ass'. I'm half way around the world and am developing an allergic reaction to Sydney. I can't imagine being only one state over. Holy shit!

I'm more likely to head straight to Melbourne, then to Brisbane. Sydney's not my cup of tea, but people seem intent on ramming it down my throat anyway.
I'm interested in why you would skip Sydney for Melbourne and Brisbane? What do you know/have you seen of Sydney that doesn't appeal to you? If you're a hipster, I can understand why you'd choose to visit Melbourne first but don't understand why you'd choose Brisbane?

SYDNEY

WandaVista Hotel Kengo Kuma & Crone | York & George John Wardle | Darling Exchange Kengo Kuma
Sky_Is_The_Limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 03:52 PM   #149
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Quote:
@isaidso - I'm far from Sydney's biggest fan, and I know all the NSW folk are sick to death of me bashing Sydney all the time in their section, but I'm going to stand up and give credit where I deem it due. Very rarely will you see me toot Sydney's horn, but it's skyline is something Sydney does very well.

I just don't get how someone can sit back and say the things you say without ever having been.

SYDNEY

WandaVista Hotel Kengo Kuma & Crone | York & George John Wardle | Darling Exchange Kengo Kuma
Old December 24th, 2011, 03:05 AM   #150
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMan2010 View Post
I'm really starting to admire Frankfurt's skyline
I'm really looking forward to see TaunusTurm added to the skyline. Will be a big improvement, even though it is not that tall!
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #151
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Is_The_Limit View Post
I'm interested in why you would skip Sydney for Melbourne and Brisbane? What do you know/have you seen of Sydney that doesn't appeal to you? If you're a hipster, I can understand why you'd choose to visit Melbourne first but don't understand why you'd choose Brisbane?
It's not that Sydney doesn't appeal to me, it's that Melbourne appeals to me a lot more. Melbourne seems less plastic, less superficial, more established, and interesting. Melbourne's got some grit, charisma, history, and it's really not any smaller than Sydney.

Brisbane? Well, it's close to the Great Barrier reef so it represents another side of Australia that I'd like to experience. Honestly, my interest in Queensland isn't to see Brisbane, but the beaches, topography, etc. After experiencing a big Australian city, Melbourne being my first choice, I'd next be drawn to Queensland.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old December 24th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #152
Dimethyltryptamine

Thanks for explaining that. Sydney is very plastic/superficial, and quite the ... narcissistic city. Some people don't see it, but in the end you and I obviously share the same view of Sydney. I still think it's a gorgeous skyline and setting though, I give it props for that - though would never live there (or recommend it as a place to live, really)

don't you now jump on my back SITL
Old December 24th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #153
Sky_Is_The_Limit

Shan't be doing that, everyone's entitled to their opinion and I know that not everyone likes Sydney. I appreciate that people like you and isaidso take the time to explain why unlike others that appear in this and other threads to diss the place only because they feel threatened by its existence

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's not that Sydney doesn't appeal to me, it's that Melbourne appeals to me a lot more. Melbourne seems less plastic, less superficial, more established, and interesting. Melbourne's got some grit, charisma, history, and it's really not any smaller than Sydney.

Brisbane? Well, it's close to the Great Barrier reef so it represents another side of Australia that I'd like to experience. Honestly, my interest in Queensland isn't to see Brisbane, but the beaches, topography, etc. After experiencing a big Australian city, Melbourne being my first choice, I'd next be drawn to Queensland.
Cool, thanks for elaborating.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head RE. Melbourne. It has grit, charisma and history as well as a bumper annual calendar of events.

Sydney isn't all about being plastic and superficial (as I am sure you would know), and being the oldest city in Australia, has its fair share of history and charm. Suburbs such as Balmain, Paddington, Surry Hills and Newtown feel worlds away from the glitz and glamour of 'post card' Sydney. The Rocks is the point at which European settlement began in 1788 and whilst it has seen many changes over the past 220+ years, it is still a pretty neat part of town too.

Whilst there isn't a huge population difference between Sydney and Melbourne (less than 500k), I feel like the pace and busyness of Sydney is a couple of notches above Melbourne and it does feel like a bigger city. Hopefully Melburnians don't take a dig at me for saying that

In terms of the reef and Brisbane, they aren't exactly close (within a day trip) so maybe Cairns is a better point of reference? Still, we have some great beaches in South East Queensland and some great islands within close proximity of Brisbane.

SYDNEY

Old March 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #154
J.J.

Likes (Received): 5

1. sydney
2. melbourne
3. frankfurt
4. london
5. brisbane
6. perth
7. paris
8. auckland
9. johannesburg
10. moscow
J.J. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #155
Hoogfriesland

Likes (Received): 1202

Dutch skylines:

Amsterdam (From: El Constructador) Good:

The Hague (From: Winbuks) Better:

Rotterdam (From: Jeromeo)Best!:
image hosted on flickr
Hoogfriesland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #156
tikiturf

Likes (Received): 46

Paris :

image hosted on flickr

La Défense as seen from the Eiffel Tower, Paris, France par Frank Crooijmans, sur Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Saint-Augustin Church Dome and La Defense financial district in the backgrond from Le Printemps Department store rooftop. par loic80l, sur Flickr
tikiturf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #157
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 128

Got to be London

jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #158
Dimethyltryptamine

I've never understood the high praise of London's skyline. It may be one of Europe's best, but that isn't exactly setting a high standard now, is it. Maybe in a decade or two, but there are far better skylines around the world (outside NA/Asia, even).

I don't mean to be an ass hole, or question your 'ranking' but to me, London barely cuts it. Great city, but struggles in the skyline department.
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #159
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo

Likes (Received): 1576

Melbourne and Frankfurt
CarltonHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #160
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
I've never understood the high praise of London's skyline. It may be one of Europe's best, but that isn't exactly setting a high standard now, is it. Maybe in a decade or two, but there are far better skylines around the world (outside NA/Asia, even).

I don't mean to be an ass hole, or question your 'ranking' but to me, London barely cuts it. Great city, but struggles in the skyline department.
People allow the economic stature and international profile of London to cast a warm glow on everything else. In other words, they're not being objective. London just barely cracks my top 30 world skylines, but that's no reflection on the city itself. London only started building skyscrapers very recently. There's been a huge change in their skyline, but they have a massive amount of work to do to catch up with cities that have been at this for 40, 80, 120 years.

1. Melbourne
2. Sydney
-
-
-
3. Paris
4. Frankfurt
5. London
6. Moscow

And the gap between 2nd and the rest is quite big. London's skyline would need to double to start challenging Sydney. I'm not sure if London could even do it as their skyscrapers will always be scattered around town; there is no main cluster. It might look amazing, but the jury is still out on that.

Last edited by isaidso; March 15th, 2012 at 06:46 PM.