daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:36 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18203

Biogas Passenger Train Unveiled in Sweden

Biogas-powered Passenger Train Unveiled In Sweden
20 June 2005

STOCKHOLM (AP)--A passenger train running solely on biogas, billed as the world's first, was unveiled in Sweden on Monday, in what officials called a major step toward making public transport more environmentally friendly.

The train, which is fitted with two biogas bus engines, was started up and rolled for a few meters on the tracks at the train station in Linkoping in south-central Sweden, officials said.

It can carry up to 54 passengers and is expected to start running on an 80-kilometer stretch between Linkoping and Vastervik on the country's east coast starting in August or September.

Biogas is produced by decomposing organic material in an oxygen-free environment, and emits just a small fraction of the carbon dioxide released by diesel engines.

The train can run for about 600 kilometers on a full tank and has a top speed of 130 kph.

Germany has experimented with using natural gas to power trains, but Carl Lilliehook, CEO of Svensk Biogas, the company that remodeled and owns the train, said he believed this was the world's first passenger train to run solely on biogas. Alec Walker-Love, spokesman for the Brussels, Belgium-based International Association of Public Transport, also said it was likely a world first.

"If all diesel trains in Sweden would be rebuilt to use biogas, this would be a valuable contribution to decreasing carbon dioxide emissions and oil dependence," said Bjorn Sunden, a spokesman for EuroMaint, which maintains the train. "In Europe, there is even a bigger potential if the trains are run on biogas because diesel engines are much more common there."

About 97% of Swedish train traffic runs on electricity, through power lines that run over the tracks. The other 3% run on diesel.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:58 AM   #2
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 4

That could have a very interesting application on the streets. I don't see it as very good for dedicated rail lines but better used in low capacity LRT networks. In west-coast Sweden, Goteborg's Vasttraffik tram network are an example of a system where I would call the application of this technology ideal because of the # of passengers it can carry and the top speed, both of which are not impressive. Even for that low-capacity system though, it would need to be capable of handling a weight much higher than 54 people, why is it so weak? Or were they talking about how many seats were in the train?

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:12 PM   #3
London Underground

Likes (Received): 0

SWEDEN | Railways

Anybody here gone on the Swedish rail network?

If so, what did you think of it?

Just curious becouse i love it. Although i am from here so...
London Underground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 274

I guess it's ok. It's very far from being state of the art like the ones in Germany, France and Spain. It'ok, fairly modern trains, quite comfortable but almost always delayed. Specially on the stretch between Malmö and Stockholm.
I'm fairly pleased with SJ, there's not much they can do about it since they don't get very much money from the authorities. I'd rather see that they gave more money to SJ instead of to SAS. SAS goes all the time with losses and gets heavily subsidised. SJ gets almost nothing in comparisson.
I guess I like SJ and I use their services (got the membership card!).
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:39 PM   #5
London Underground

Well have you heard that they are about to loe all there state funding?
Unless it already happened. The states say that they want to let private owners take over the rail traffic. ITS CRAZZY!!
Atleast SJ is making some money compared to as you mentioned SAS.

Wait, are you in Sweden?
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Chilenofuturista

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Underground View Post
Well have you heard that they are about to loe all there state funding?
Unless it already happened. The states say that they want to let private owners take over the rail traffic. ITS CRAZZY!!
Atleast SJ is making some money compared to as you mentioned SAS.

Wait, areyou in Sweden?
That's crazy! But it's already happened!

http://www.veolia.se/tmpl/XStartPage...epslanguage=ML

They should definitely send more money to SJ, instead of to SAS. Let the norwegians take care of SAS or just privatise it. I could care less, SAS' service is not what it used to be and we should think more of the environment.

Yes, I live in Sweden. Don't get deceived by my nickname.
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:49 PM   #7
Chilenofuturista

SJ's "flagship", in this case more of a "flagtrain". Heh.

The X2000
copyright of Marcus Tellerup.

Old October 31st, 2009, 10:49 PM   #8
London Underground

Yeah. I totaly agree. Plus part of SAS is already Norweigan. SAS Brathens. So why not.

Edit: Beutiful train. Used to be! Ha!
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

I was quite impressed by SJ. I've used their services a few times on the following stretches:

- Stockholm - Västeräs
- Stockholm - Uppsala
- Stockholm - Nyköping
- (Stockholm -) Uppsala - Umea (nattag)

I was always very pleased by the comfort and interior of these trains. Furthermore, they're quite cheap (if you choose the right ones )? Compared to Finland anyway.
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:02 PM   #10
London Underground

Well the service i like the best is the Uppsala-pendel.
Every time i use them they are on time! Allmost. I have been late once. But still. One time, no time right?
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:46 PM   #11
Edvin

Likes (Received): 1

I love riding the X2000 between Gothenburg and Stockholm! It is a really smooth, fast, quite comfortable ride of a little more then 3 h. Talking pros and cons, the great con is that it can be really pricey, but if you buy the tickets either a couple of months in advance or just before departure it can be a quite affordable affair. Btw, beautiful picture Chilenofuturista .
Edvin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #12
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

I can live with the privatization of railtravel. The infrastructure must however remain owned and run by the government (or else real competition among operators doesn't work).

SJ is ok I guess. Expensive as hell unless booking months in advance and trains are somewhat old. IMO we need to invest a lot more in rail (SAS can go under for all I care, all we need to fund is a handful of smallish air-routes to the far north), both HSR and upgradeing/expanding current lines.

Expensive? yep, I went to Västerås with my gf a couple months back and the train fare was more the double the bus fare. So bus it was... eventhough we both prefer trains.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:21 AM   #13
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

I rode trains there for about a solid week. I thought it was an average system. It was nice to pick up a full timetable of all trains from the main station. I rode on various companies (Veolia, Tågkompaniet, MerResor, SJ). The commuter lines around Stockholm were very nice.

The trains were mostly on time, but sometimes very late because another one was late before it. When I was leaving Stockholm towards Norrkoping, there was a problem with the electricity that delayed every train around there for about an hour and a half. Other than that, it was all right.

The best thing about being in Sweden was that everyone spoke English really well! When I got off at Äng, the conductor suddenly busted out in perfect American-style English, "Are you sure you're getting off here?" I answered yes and the train left. Anyway, I had a good experience there.
goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #14
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

In February and begin if Mars this year it was a lot of problems for the trains to be on time. May of the trains are not so modern anymore too. X2000 are 20 years old now. And we have many trains who are much older than X2000.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #15
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

I took the train in Sweden a couple of times last summer and found the experience average. The first was from Stockholm to the middle of nowhere on an old, slow train with no air conditioning. This being the middle of summer I'm sure the temperature inside the train reached 50 at some point. The second was on an X2000 back to Stockholm which failed and sat in the middle of nowhere for about half an hour. Other than that though, it was a pretty comfortable ride. Nothing like a real HST, but still much better than the first part of my journey. I wasn't in a hurry, so it didn't really annoy me all that much, but I can imagine the frustration if you're someone who commutes weekly between, say, Stockholm and Malmö.

I also took the airport train from Arlanda, which I think is basically the same train as the X2000. Like most dedicated airport trains, this was on time and pretty comfortable. I don't think this train is operated by SJ.

I think most state-operated rail companies could do with privatisation and competition. The state should stick to maintaining and improving the infrastructure and only subsidise routes that nobody wants because they're not profitable. Like SAS, SJ and other state-operated rail operators have no incentive to provide better service at a lower cost; they don't have to fight for their survival and it makes them naive, arrogant and wasteful.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #16
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
I took the train in Sweden a couple of times last summer and found the experience average. The first was from Stockholm to the middle of nowhere on an old, slow train with no air conditioning. This being the middle of summer I'm sure the temperature inside the train reached 50 at some point. The second was on an X2000 back to Stockholm which failed and sat in the middle of nowhere for about half an hour. Other than that though, it was a pretty comfortable ride. Nothing like a real HST, but still much better than the first part of my journey. I wasn't in a hurry, so it didn't really annoy me all that much, but I can imagine the frustration if you're someone who commutes weekly between, say, Stockholm and Malmö.

I also took the airport train from Arlanda, which I think is basically the same train as the X2000. Like most dedicated airport trains, this was on time and pretty comfortable. I don't think this train is operated by SJ.

I think most state-operated rail companies could do with privatisation and competition. The state should stick to maintaining and improving the infrastructure and only subsidise routes that nobody wants because they're not profitable. Like SAS, SJ and other state-operated rail operators have no incentive to provide better service at a lower cost; they don't have to fight for their survival and it makes them naive, arrogant and wasteful.
You are right! A lot of the trains have no air conditioning. A lot of the trains called InterCity looks old now. They are now rebuilding old coaches for InterCity but they still don’t have air conditioning after they are modernized. And that’s not good now. Also here in Sweden sometimes the summers can be very hot. Most of the coaches for InterCity who don’t have air conditioning are not that old like they looks like. Most of them are built in 1979-1990. So they are in the same generations like the German InterCity type Bpmz 291 but older constructions and they are even built later than the Mark 3 in the UK. German Bpmz and British Mark 3 have air conditioning but not the Swedish InterCity coaches.

The local trains from Stockholm to Arlanda is not SJ-trains. That’s Arlanda Express and that’s one special company who only have trains between Stockholm and Arlanda. From Uppsala to Arlanda there is some local trains with personal from SJ but the trains are from Upplands Lokaltrafik (UL), they are a local company for trains and buses in the region around Uppsala. But there is also a lot of SJ-trains in Arlanda. Most of the X2000 and InterCity between Stockholm and Uppsala are going through Arlanda Airport.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #17
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3763

There have been alot of delayed and cancelled trains this winter. There are many problems about the Swedish trains, when there is snow. Many passengers have been stranded for hours without getting any help.

Anyway, here are some Swedish trains:

Old RC train (pre late 80s).

X2000 fast speed trains.

The current Rc train (since late 80s).

Source: http://www.lokman.se/Tagbilder/Svens..._persontag.htm

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #18
Nightsky
Illustrator

The new Pågatåg. Operates in Skåne.

Arlanda Express Airport train.

Öresundståg, between Malmö and Copenhagen.

Green Cargo freight train.

Old January 4th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #19
Nightsky
Illustrator

TRAIN CRASH MALMÖ C:

Here are some pictures I took at the X2000 train crash at Malmö Central on New Years Day. Noone was hurt. The cause is unknown. The crash was taking place in the old central hall, above the city tunnel.

X2000 is Sweden’s fast speed trains.

It could have been a disaster if passengers were aboard!

But only the driver was on the train, he was about to move the train when something went wrong.

Media reporting from the accident.

The new ultramodern parking lot outside Malmö C.

Old January 5th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #20
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Holy crap, how fast was this train traveling when it rammed the barrier?

Usually the barriers are not strong enough to stop a fast moving train, that's happened before here in spain and the train went straight through 2 feet of concrete splitting it apart. Was the driver drunk?

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote