daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #281
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
The MTR Express won't have classed seating. All seats are one and the same. However, you can upgrade other services & stuff (I'm not clear on what) for an extra cost compared to the basic ticket price.
I was asking because the interior looks very classy Very nice trains indeed!
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #282
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

Yeah, this train is looking real nice

It'll be interesting to see if people now see how much of the troubles on the railways aren't SJ:s fault, how MTR handles track issues and if SJ at all responds to a new rail company known for good service starts running the same lines.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #283
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8779

I don't think problems will be mitigated by a new company. However, I think that customer service might be markedly improved when problems occur. An example was when I was stranded in Örebro recently - SJ simply told me "stay overnight in Örebro and forget about getting home tonight". Other operators in other countries run coaches and help people out during service disruptions. Just forcing SJ to improve customer service would be a massive boon for Swedish rail I believe.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #284
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48594

Well, SJ usualy react responsibly in many cases - offer journeys with buses or some other alternatives. However, this doesn't seem to be a regular practice.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #285
dj4life

MTR Express

The first Stadler Flirt train was tested on the route Stockholm-Gothenburg!

MTR redo ta upp kampen med SJ
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #286
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
Well, SJ usualy react responsibly in many cases - offer journeys with buses or some other alternatives. However, this doesn't seem to be a regular practice.
No they don't. SJ don't normally do anything according to their representatives that I spoke to. They are only obliged to refund you if your delay is significant, but beyond that they do nothing. I really don't like SJ that much at all. Their monopoly has made them arrogant and I really hope MTR takes them to the cleaners.
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #287
dj4life

I know that in some situations they change trains with buses. However, once this happened on the more popular route.
Old November 12th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #288
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Mmhm, I got told when our trains have had problems in the past (this isn't the first time) that the "Snabbtåg" gets priority, followed by international trains, long distance trains and finally the regional trains. Unfortunately, regional trains are bread-and-butter services and they fall at the bottom. The cost difference is negligible between the fast trains and regional though on the same route, so it seems odd that they have that kind of customer priority.

Anyway, I guess we're digressing a bit. It wouldn't surprise me though if the popular routes get priority though as if the customers there aren't treated well then they'll just go back to their cars and SJ will lose whatever profit it makes.
Old November 12th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #289
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Mmhm, I got told when our trains have had problems in the past (this isn't the first time) that the "Snabbtåg" gets priority, followed by international trains, long distance trains and finally the regional trains. Unfortunately, regional trains are bread-and-butter services and they fall at the bottom. The cost difference is negligible between the fast trains and regional though on the same route, so it seems odd that they have that kind of customer priority.
Train traffic is prioritized in nearly all countries. International and freight trains get priority over domestic trains as they are not only dependant on the national timetable but also on timetables in neighboring countries. Otherwise, even a slight delay may lead to a huge knock-on effect.

For example, if an ICE departs Amsterdam 10 minutes late this could mean that it would have to follow a local train until it reaches Utrecht, its delay increasing by 10 more minutes. From Utrecht to Arnhem it would follow other local and regional trains, its delay further increasing. Upon crossing the border, the delay could've easily gone up to 30 minutes, thereby missing the slot in Germany causing it to get stuck behind other trains as well. If trains weren't prioritized, a 10 minute delay on departure could lead to an hour delay on arrival.

DB Netze sells 'priority train paths': they are more expensive, but the train will be given priority during disruptions and delays. DB Fernverkehr is a big customer of these paths, as well as other long distance and international operators.
Quote:
Anyway, I guess we're digressing a bit. It wouldn't surprise me though if the popular routes get priority though as if the customers there aren't treated well then they'll just go back to their cars and SJ will lose whatever profit it makes.
I think that having a world class operator such as MTR compete with SJ on a long distance route will be good for passengers. I'm curious to see how this will play out.

Speaking about competition, does anyone know how Blå Tåget is doing?
Old November 12th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #290
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Train traffic is prioritized in nearly all countries. International and freight trains get priority over domestic trains as they are not only dependant on the national timetable but also on timetables in neighboring countries. Otherwise, even a slight delay may lead to a huge knock-on effect.
Prioritised with regards to track access yes, but when something goes wrong that doesn't mean that we, as users of the regional trains get stranded until the next day without compensation of any kind whilst those for long-distance trains or X2000 snabbtåg trains get better service whilst not necessarily paying more - that has nothing to do with trackage at all so I think you misread what I said. The train I was on, despite being called "SJ Regional" went all the way from Stockholm to Gothenburg and was actually more expensive than the SJ Intercity on the same route (but the intercity took longer than the regional on that day, go figure how the heck SJ "runs" its services).

Another note, unlike other countries, the same tracks here are used for all classes of services. There is no priority tracks for higher speed - we don't have a high speed line here at all.

Last edited by Svartmetall; November 12th, 2014 at 02:31 AM.
Old November 12th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #291
ArtManDoo

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by loefet View Post
There is a video report of these new trains on SvD, with some information on how it will work, and including some nice views on how they look: http://www.svd.se/naringsliv/tag-fra...en_4073755.svd
I have some experiance using flirt's in Estonia, Finland, Austria and Switzerland. I must say that the flirts are more like short distance trains for 30min ride or so. The noise level for Flirt is also higher, for example in Bombardier Talent or Alstom Coradia Lirex (SL X60) the ride is almost noiseless. In Flirt traction motors can be heared also the wheel noise can be heared.

I didn't know that SJ customer service was so bad, I have thought that it's something similar to Finnish VR super level service. I hope also that MTR changes the customer service better and swedish rail users win in general.
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:28 PM   #292
dj4life

Sweet! Some people shared videos of Sadler Flirt (MTR Express) train test run in Sweden:

Aspen, Jonsered

Stockholm

loefet, dimlys1994, lanolama liked this post
Old December 10th, 2014, 01:49 AM   #293
Goy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 156

Can someone answer me if there are (or if it is under construction or planning) High Speep Rails between:

Malmo - Gotemburg - Oslo
Gotemburg - Stockohlm
Malmo - Stockohlm
Stockohlm - Upsalla

How speed can trains reach in current rail network? Sweden gouvernment is unwiling to build High Speed Rails? Do Sweden society think it is unnecessary or expensive?
Goy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #294
Swede
forumer #29

Read the last few pages and you'll find most of your answers.

But no, there is no HSR in Sweden. Top speed is 200 (205) and that's on some of the tracks, not all.
There are plans to build HSR between Stockholm and Göteborg as well as Stockholm and Malmö. The first part to be built will be the section that both lines have in common (Stockholm-Jönköping).

Most of us are in favour of it, but some are against it thinking it'll be better spent on highways or something.

I suggest reading the wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Sweden
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Old December 11th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #295
AlexNL

Here's a video about the Göteborg - Borås project, which will be part of the eventual Stockholm - Göteborg high speed railway:

Old December 17th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #296
dj4life

Tåg i Bergslagen decorated with a themed Falun2015 livery:

Source

Source

More information: Specialdesignat tåg till skid-VM i Falun
Old December 17th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #297
ditmars

Likes (Received): 1

Beautiful wagons.
ditmars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #298
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Went into Gothenburg today, and while I was there I popped into the station to see if I could get lucky to spot one of the new MTR X74 train today.

I was double lucky in fact:

There were two of them

These new trains are gorgeous, and they really cause a stir here in the land of boring grey and black SJ trains. I can't believe how many people snapped a quick picture as they went past. Can't wait to ride one of them in the future.

Svartmetall, Swede, dj4life, ivochip liked this post
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #299
AlexNL

Seeing those shiny new trains standing there makes me a bit envious
Old December 19th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #300
Swede
forumer #29

News on Malmbanan in northernmost Sweden:

http://www.wspgroup.com/en/WSP-UK/Wh...re-rail-line-/

Quote:
SP was commissioned to define the requirement specifications, predesign as well as draft the technical procurement documentation for a design and build contract for Malmbanan’s most northern section.
[...]
Malmbanan crosses the border between Norway and Sweden, and requires a high degree of coordination between each country’s national transport agency with respect to product choices, software version handling, commissioning and operation. Malmbanan will also be modernized and double-tracked in a parallel project.