daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2015, 04:10 PM   #341
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8783

Not common? Every time I've taken a train in this country it has been delayed. No compensation and no care from SJ of course. Last time took the cake, though. Stranded in Örebro, all trains cancelled, SJ said no compensation beyond "free ticket next day". Refused to pay for a coach journey, refused to do anything in fact. SJ, nothing but a barrel of laughs.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2015, 07:15 PM   #342
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

I'm assuming "Signalfel" is the reason for the delay, i.e. a signalling failure?

dj4life liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:18 PM   #343
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Yep, a common occurrence. Each time I have had a problem it's either been due to a train breaking down or a signal failure.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:48 PM   #344
fireflyH2O
SJ X3000!

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Not common? Every time I've taken a train in this country it has been delayed. No compensation and no care from SJ of course. Last time took the cake, though. Stranded in Örebro, all trains cancelled, SJ said no compensation beyond "free ticket next day". Refused to pay for a coach journey, refused to do anything in fact. SJ, nothing but a barrel of laughs.
Oh come one. I commute a whole freaking year from Uppsala- Stockholm and hey were rarely delay.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:39 PM   #345
Adde

Likes (Received): 465

Yeah, I commuted from Uppsala to Stockholm for about a year, and there were a few major delays over that year, but we're talking 3-4 times in a year. And this was during the winter of '11-'12 when there was a lot of snow and cold weather.

Now I use the pendeltåg daily, and there are delays now and then, but not terribly often. We did have a string of serious derailments last year, but now it's been a few cases of "obehöriga på spåret" and one or two "signalfel", but not that much else recently.
Adde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 12:13 AM   #346
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyH2O View Post
Oh come one. I commute a whole freaking year from Uppsala- Stockholm and hey were rarely delay.
As do many that I work with. Funny how their take on reliability of trains is quite different to your own. But hey, this is the country that decided that 15 minutes delay is counted as "on time" by measures from Trafikverket since 2012. SJ is also one of the least trusted brands in Sweden in consumer surveys. Must be a reason for this mustn't there if they're all on time and running peachy keen.
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:08 PM   #347
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26116

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=529

Skånetrafiken orders more Alstom EMUs
Thursday, February 05, 2015

SWEDISH regional transport operator Skånetrafiken has awarded Alstom a SKr 1.5bn ($US 180m) contract to supply 25 additional class X61 Coradia Nordic EMUs, taking its total fleet of these trains to 99 sets

Skånetrafiken placed an initial order for 49 X61s in 2006, the first of which entered service in 2010, and a further 20 sets were ordered in 2011. Last year it exercised an option for five extra sets.

Delivery of the final batch of 30 trains will commence in April 2017, with assembly taking place at Alstom's Salzgitter plant in Germany

dj4life liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 05:29 PM   #348
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

Not surprised. Those trains are working pretty well all over Sweden (in X60, X61 and X62 forms) and Pågatågen have rising passenger numbers iirc. Stockholms getting more X60 deliviered soonish too.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

dimlys1994 liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #349
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

That'll be good as it'll replace the older trains on the pendeltåg system. They are getting on in years now aren't they?
Old February 5th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #350
Adde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
As do many that I work with. Funny how their take on reliability of trains is quite different to your own. But hey, this is the country that decided that 15 minutes delay is counted as "on time" by measures from Trafikverket since 2012. SJ is also one of the least trusted brands in Sweden in consumer surveys. Must be a reason for this mustn't there if they're all on time and running peachy keen.
I don't think anyone's arguing that there isn't room for improvement. But I do think that there has developed a negative cycle of perception, where any delay adds to an already established "truth" about SL and SJ, even though most of the time the trains actually do run on time.

Like I said, I commute, and it works well. Have I experienced delays? Of course. And they make me curse as much as the next guy. It's super annoying. But it doesn't actually happen all that often.

fireflyH2O liked this post
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #351
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Of course they'll run on time if the goalposts are moved. It changed from "5 minutes late is counted as late" to "15 minutes late is counted as late". Strange how our punctuality increased markedly in 2012.
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #352
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

IMO, if I miss another connection because of a delay, it's a delay. Be it 4 minutes or 15 minutes. But yes, 15 minutes is way too long to consider something a delay. A train is late if more than a minute late in Japan, if I'm not mistaken?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #353
Adde

I'm not talking about official statistics. I'm talking about my lived experience. Of course 5 minutes is late to me. If my morning train is 5 minutes late I'll be late for work. Most mornings, my train arrives on the dot. A few mornings it's 1-2 minutes late, and now and then some general problem (signalfel, personer på spåret, olycka or whatever) stops traffic completely or makes it run with considerable delays (5, 10, 15 minutes).

Like I said, of course there could be improvements. It's not like this isn't a hot political issue. My point is that sometimes the rhetoric makes it sound as if traffic is completely unreliable, but as someone who commutes daily that's just not the case.
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:00 AM   #354
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

More delays today. The train from Sala was 20 min late
The train from Stockholm to Malmö/Copenhagen was 8 min late
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #355
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Trains being late happen even in a supposedly "perfect" Switzerland. Mine was 5 min late this evening. It's not a popular topic for complaints, though.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #356
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Stångådalsbanan- a branch line at wintertime

Unguarded railway crossing.At this time of the year in the winter, trains are virtually silent, so it is important to carefully drive across the track. No trains give signals either before the railway crossing, possibly they do it if the engine driver sees some car that is heading towards the railway crossing.

Hardly the trains pass here at 90km / h. Rather at 40km / h instead.

Last edited by NordikNerd; February 7th, 2015 at 10:57 AM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 06:14 PM   #357
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
At this time of the year in the winter, trains are virtually silent, so it is important to carefully drive across the track. No trains give signals either before the railway crossing,
Is this standard for unsignalled crossings in Sweden?
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:41 AM   #358
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48594

The rail tracks are being layed in a new 8.7 km long Hallandsås tunnel/Hallandsås Ridge Tunnel at full speed nowadays. The process should be finished this week and then some more work will be done prior the expected traffic launch this year.

Source

Source

More information: Spårläggningen går som på räls i Hallandsås

Swede, dimlys1994, ivochip liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #359
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

Finally!
Looks like the first trains will run through the tunnel this year Not sure about the planned entry into regular service, but there should be ample time for testing.

EDIT:
According to the webpage for the project the line will enter regular service in 10 months time! 2015-12-13 is the date given.
Worth quoteing from there is also what will happen when it is put into service:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafikverket
A tunnel through the Hallandsås Ridge will increase the capacity of the line. It will enable the weight of freight trains to be doubled and will be used by 24 trains per hour instead of the current rate of 4 trains per hour. The speed of the trains will increase from 80 to 200 kilometres per hour and safety will improve since 20 dangerous level crossings will be eliminated.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

dj4life liked this post

Last edited by Swede; February 13th, 2015 at 11:03 AM.
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #360
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Big improvement even if 20 years late
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote