daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #481
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
So the japanese are frequent bicyclists because they are more environmental friendly? I think it has to do with the lack of parkingspace due to the stellar price of land. I have read that in some japanese cities you need to confirm that you have a parkingspot before you are allowed to buy a car.
Yes, you are right about the confirmed parking spot, but most houses have some provision for parking and so that isn't an issue in the suburbs. Car ownership is quite high there, but km driven is low because people walk or cycle for short trips and commute via rail in the metropolitan areas (read: suburbs). Don't think that all land in Japan is expensive, it isn't. It's just it is actually more convenient to cycle than it is to drive in many cases - and I don't see why that is such an issue in such a small town as Motala... It's perfectly compact enough for most people to even walk to the station - the 4km was right to the edge of the settled area.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2015, 04:42 PM   #482
Adde

Likes (Received): 465

I livet in Motala for a few months in 2013, and I would say it's pretty unfriendly to pedestrians, and lots of the suburbs are something like a 45-60 minute walk from the station. I'm not surprised people rather take the car than walk or bike, especially in the winter months.

Plus, people in the countryside/small towns tend to need their cars more, so there's more of a car culture than in the bigger towns.
Adde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:39 PM   #483
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...y-service.html

MTR launches open access inter-city service
23 Mar 2015

SWEDEN: Head-to-head competition came to the 455 km Stockholm – Göteborg corridor on March 21 when open access operator MTR Express launched commercial services.

Initially operating around 50 trains per week, rising to 90 from August, MTR Express is offering an end-to-end journey time of 3 h 19 min with three intermediate station calls. Journey times are around 15 min longer than those offered by incumbent SJ

Cheers!

AlexNL, dj4life, Robi_damian liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #484
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Trainspotting

Commutertrain X10 heading for Norrköping

Another commutertrain newer model bound for Motala

X2000 to Stockholm

X2000 to Malmö
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #485
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Why do the rear red lights flash on Swedish trains?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #486
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Malmslätt, Linköping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I wish I knew. I'm not certain if they flash on the X2000. Maybe they dont flash all the time. I actually never thought about it.
I will ask in a swedish train forum and I'll see if someone knows. In the US some locos have blinking headlights, which I find peculiar.

The Malmslätt Station building from 1902. It was staffed untill 1962. Today it is a lamp-shop. The building is in bad shape, esecially the roof.
There used to be a switching yard here but it is demolished since at least 30 years.

X2000 towards Linköping-Stockholm

X2000 to Malmö

Regional commutertrain

About 8 trains an hour pass by here.

Old March 28th, 2015, 10:09 AM   #487
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
The rear red lights used to be battery-powered detachable end signals that were relatively invisible in the dark, so they had to blink back then to be more visible and to save battery power. For some reason this rule about blinking rear lights continued to apply in the 1980´s when waggons with built in rear red lights were introduced.

Today fixed lights are standard, and the blinking lights will gradually disappear.
Old March 28th, 2015, 10:28 AM   #488
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
I wish I knew. I'm not certain if they flash on the X2000. Maybe they dont flash all the time. I actually never thought about it.
I will ask in a swedish train forum and I'll see if someone knows. In the US some locos have blinking headlights, which I find peculiar.

The Malmslätt Station building from 1902. It was staffed untill 1962. Today it is a lamp-shop. The building is in bad shape, esecially the roof.
There used to be a switching yard here but it is demolished since at least 30 years.

X2000 towards Linköping-Stockholm

X2000 to Malmö

Regional commutertrain

About 8 trains an hour pass by here.

Those are ditchlights and they seem to getting phased out , at least on DMU's and EMU's. They don't flash all the time , only the station areas... Its for warning people....and that's on top of the bell and horn... Which vary state to state in terms of rules...
Old March 28th, 2015, 07:20 PM   #489
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
The rear red lights used to be battery-powered detachable end signals that were relatively invisible in the dark, so they had to blink back then to be more visible and to save battery power. For some reason this rule about blinking rear lights continued to apply in the 1980´s when waggons with built in rear red lights were introduced.

Today fixed lights are standard, and the blinking lights will gradually disappear.
The newly built X55 sets (SJ3000) still have them though
Old March 28th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #490
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Linghem commutertrain station Small village pop. 2 804

The station building. Built in 1873. No passengertrains stopped here between the years 1968-1995
The commutertrain traffic began in 1995.

The train "Snälltåget" has passed by Linghem

Commutertrain heading for Norrköping

Commutertrain heading for Motala

SJ-Expresstrain pulled by the black Rc-loco.

X10 commutertrain at Malmskogen, Linköping

Video from today - Linghem

Video from today - Malmskogen
Old March 28th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #491
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Why are the acceleration speeds so slow at that station?
Old March 28th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #492
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Why are the acceleration speeds so slow at that station?

Well my amateur explanation would be:

Maybe because it's a commutertrain. Passengers have to run their cards through a card reader before they sit down. Sometimes at rush hour there could be a queue and the train operator wouldnt like the passengers to fall due to fast acceleration ??

...or the train is not customized accelerate fast...? Well. To be honest with I dont really know.
Old March 29th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #493
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

Had Malmslätt not been on such a busy route with few slots available for new services it would be a good candidate for commuter rail, with 5,000 inhabitants and about 6-7 kilometers to Linköping.
jonasry está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #494
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasry View Post
Had Malmslätt not been on such a busy route with few slots available for new services it would be a good candidate for commuter rail, with 5,000 inhabitants and about 6-7 kilometers to Linköping.
I also thought about Malmslätt as a future commutertrain station, but I dont think it has to do with the available space for the trains or facilities.

I think the reason for the lack of commutertrains in Malmslätt is poor passenger basis. Malmslätt is a sprawling villa community with mostly single-family detached homes, there are few blocks of flats. Also the railway passes through only at the southernmost tip of the muncipality.
Old March 30th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #495
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

High speed railway: Ostlänken

Linköping kommun decided to put a section of the future HSR line Ostlänken into a tunneln under Linköping. Better service for the passengers, more possibilities to develop the city center and advantages for the community were the major motives behind this decision. The modified plan for a HSR line results in an increased cost of the project by 0.5 - 1.5 billion SEK.
While the new railway station of Linköping will be underground, the station in neighbouring city Norrköping will be a bridge-like structure.

Source: Linköping vill ha Ostlänken i tunnel under staden

dimlys1994, Swede liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 12:56 AM   #496
dj4life

A tunnel and a new station in Strängnäs

One more railway tunnel will be constructed underneath Strängnäs in Södermaland County. According to the plan, a double-track railway between Ulvhäll and Härad (see the map) should increase the capacity of the railway network in the area. The construction should start in the IVth quarter of this year and last for 18 months.

Source

A new Strägnäs Travel Center (Strägnäs Resecentrum) will be constructed just outside the tunnel (Illustrations from Trafikverket webpage)

Source

Source

Source

More information: http://partnersok.byggtjanst.se/proj...location-image, http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...ya-resecentrum, http://strangnas.se/sv/Bygga-bo--mil...tt-resecentrum.

dimlys1994, pai nosso, :jax: liked this post

Last edited by dj4life; March 31st, 2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old March 31st, 2015, 01:51 AM   #497
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

It's been a week since MTR Express started operations between Stockholm and Göteborg. So far, they've managed to create some publicity when infrastructure minister Anna Johansson rode along from Stockholm to Södertälje, and based on what I see on Twitter people seem to appreciate the new train service: "Better than SJ"

dj4life liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 08:09 AM   #498
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
One more railway tunnel will be constructed underneath Strängnäs in Södermaland County. According to the plan, a double-track railway between Ulvhäll and Härad (see the map) should increase the capacity of the railway network in the area. The construction should start in the IVth quarter of this year and last for 18 months.

Source

A new Strägnäs Travel Center (Strägnäs Resecentrum) will be constructed just outside the tunnel (Illustrations from Trafikverket webpage)

Source

Source

Source

More information: http://partnersok.byggtjanst.se/proj...location-image, http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Pr...ya-resecentrum, http://strangnas.se/sv/Bygga-bo--mil...tt-resecentrum.
That's a quick tunnel dig!
Good to see continued investment in Svealandsbanan. Most stations already have two tracks and gong for a second tube to the Strängnästunnel is an obvious thing to do when double-tracking Strängnäs Station.
Investments like this are needed if we wanna see the new capacity through Stockholm after 2017 used by regional trains.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

dj4life liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:11 PM   #499
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Linköping today

Commutertrain leaving Linköping northbound

Rc6 Loco waiting on a sidetrack.

X14 commutertrain arrives at Linköping railway station.

X10 regional train to Sala

SJ X2000 trains to Stockholm (left) & Malmö (right)

SJ train heading north

Trains today

Last edited by NordikNerd; April 2nd, 2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 01:40 AM   #500
dj4life

Overdecking of Värtabanan

And one more tunnel.

If the detailed plan of the project proposed for Albano area will be approved, a freight railway line between Roslagsvägen and Roslagsbanan will decked over. The construction work is scheduled for start in summer 2015 and the planned year of completion is 2017.

Source

Värtabanan Albano, överdäckning

dimlys1994 liked this post