daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2015, 07:59 PM   #541
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Stadler to supply double-deck EMUs to Sweden

SWEDISH train leasing company Transitio has awarded Stadler a SKr 3.5bn ($US 429m) contract to supply 33 four-car Kiss double-deck EMUs for regional services radiating from Stockholm.

Transitio has ordered the 105m-long 200km/h trains on behalf of Mälab, a joint venture of local transport authorities in the counties of Örebro, Stockholm, Sörmland and Västmanland.

The fleet will be deployed on four routes, which operate under the Mälartåg brand. These include:

Örebro – Eskilstuna – Stockholm – Uppsala
Hallsberg – Katrineholm – Stockholm
Norrköping – Nyköping – Stockholm, and
Sala – Västerås – Eskilstuna – Katrineholm – Linköping
Regional services on these lines will be expanded significantly after 2017, when the rerouting of suburban services onto the new Stockholm City Line will release capacity on the existing surface line between Stockholm Central and Stockholm South. Mälab plans to launch a new tender for the operation of the enhanced Mälartåg
New double decker trains soon on swedish tracks. Are the X40's already outdated ?
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:27 AM   #542
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

Sweden has a very low pop density only 20 inhabitants/km² (Denmark has 130 inhabitants/km²) not only the north of Sweden is sparsely populated but also areas in south Sweden.
The railway Linköping-Kalmar runs through such an rural area with few cities. This line has had a lot of trouble recently with cancelled trains and travellers dont consider this railway to be reliable.
I doubt that this railway will be in service in the future.
Why on earth is the service that is clearly more circuitous with a transfer faster?
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 09:37 AM   #543
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Why on earth is the service that is clearly more circuitous with a transfer faster?

Well, my dear american friend, the railway to the east looks like this at some streches. The service is slow.

I estimate the speed to sometimes be as low as 40km/h. It's a slow and tortous route.

There have been a lot of cancelled trains here and the service is not that reliable, so people tend to avoid it in favor of the main highspeed line.

Y2 train on the slow line "Stångådalsbanan"

The fast option is the X2000 on the main line Stockholm-Malmö.
The X2000 trainset was tested on US-tracks, it was a supposed alternative to the Acela in the early 1990's.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 11:03 AM   #544
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

It uses faster trains running on better tracks?
I have driven past the "direct" track and it's state is really bad, and also not electrified, thus a slower speed. Where as the circuitous route use SJ 2000 and Öresundståg trains which run on better maintained tracks (Södra Stambanan and Kust- till kustbanan).
Higher speed wins.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 02:01 PM   #545
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by loefet View Post
I have driven past the "direct" track and it's state is really bad, and also not electrified, thus a slower speed. Where as the circuitous route use SJ 2000 and Öresundståg trains which run on better maintained tracks (Södra Stambanan and Kust- till kustbanan).
Higher speed wins.
Yes, but in this case speed wins with only 12 minutes. Add to that a change in Alvesta. I you have luggage I wouldnt mind those extra 12 minutes. The Stångådal-line is very scenic and really a good alternative. I urge people to pick that option instead of the X2000, if conditions dont improve soon this railway from Linköping to Kalmar may be shut down for ever.

Snälltåget by Hectorrail with the Taurus loco.

dj4life liked this post

Last edited by NordikNerd; June 22nd, 2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:59 AM   #546
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

Some more pictures of Citybanan project (Stockholm):

The overground part of Station City/Stockholm City Station or Stockholm Conintental Hotel (arch.: 3XN)

Source

The undeground part of Stockholm City Station, Vasagatan

Source

Source

Railway tracks being adjoined

Source

A 1.4 km long estacade "Älvsjöbågen" (the name was chosen during a public competition - a symbolic table with a nickname of this railway section together with the name of the person whose proposal won was mounted on the strcture), in Älvsjö

Source

dimlys1994, loloo, Robi_damian liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 07:13 PM   #547
hammersklavier
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by loefet View Post
Higher speed wins.
And track quality regulates speed. Still, it's impressive that the track quality is so bad that a route with two major time penalties is still twelve minutes faster.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 08:42 PM   #548
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I'm reading that more money has been allocated for railway repairs and maintenance. Longer term that should lead to a more reliable service.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 08:18 PM   #549
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

Citybanan news should be restricted to the Stockholm Public Transport thread. Citybanan is only going to be used for the commuter rail, which is urban transport.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 10:27 PM   #550
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Hej! I'll be visting Stockholm next week, I'm planning to buy an SL Access Card and load a 7 day travelcard onto it. I'm wondering if this allows me to take SJ trains that stop in the Stockholm area (if there are any that make more stops that just Stockholm C)?
Old July 6th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #551
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Hej! I'll be visting Stockholm next week, I'm planning to buy an SL Access Card and load a 7 day travelcard onto it. I'm wondering if this allows me to take SJ trains that stop in the Stockholm area (if there are any that make more stops that just Stockholm C)?
It does not. Those are only valid on SL trains.
Most (all?) SJ (and other operators) regional and intercity trains do stop at more places in the SL area. Södertälje Syd, Flemingsberg, Sunbyberg and Arlanda are such stations (Arlanda SL-trains cost extra tho).
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

dj4life liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #552
dj4life

Nässjö Central station, Jönköping County:

Nässjö C by Steffen Haase, on Flickr

dimlys1994, Qwert, NordikNerd, Robi_damian liked this post
Old July 20th, 2015, 12:24 AM   #553
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
Nässjö Central station, Jönköping County:
This is an odd train, the Taurus loco is modern, but the passenger coaches are definately outdated, they're from the 1960's. Compare them to the sleek X2000 coaches to the left.
Old July 20th, 2015, 12:59 AM   #554
AlexNL

Two weeks ago, I visited Stockholm. While I wasn't there to do trainspotting, I did find some time to snap a few pictures:

An SJ Snabbtåg (Swedish for 'fast train') of the SJ3000 type is ready for depart from Stockholm Central. While the train was parked at the platform for a long time, the doors remained closed up until a few minutes prior to departure. Once the doors opened, it took several minutes for all passengers to board the train. The high step between platform and train definitely did not help with getting luggage on board the train.

The Igelsta viaduct is among the tallest railway bridges of Sweden, easuring over 2 kilometers in length and standing at a whopping 48 meters tall. At the end of the viaduct one can find Södertälje Syd, the most important station for the city of Södertälje. The Igelsta bridge opened in 1995, which freed up paths on the classical route between Flemingsberg and Järna.

This Göteborg-bound SJ Snabbtåg is one of the trains that stops at the earlier mentioned station of Södertälje Syd. The X2000 trains form the backbone of SJ's long distance traffic, in the nineties Kalmar (later ABB, nowadays Bombardier) built as much as 43 of these units.

Long distance rail traffic in Sweden has been fully liberalised. As a consequence, other companies (such as Blå Tåget) try to get a piece of the pie on SJ's most profitable route.

Since March 2015 there is a new operator between Stockholm and Göteborg: the Hong Kong-based MTR tries to gain some marketshare under the name of MTR Express. For this purpose, they have ordered 6 FLIRT electrical units from Stadler of Switzerland. The MTR Express also calls at Södertälje Syd, but only to pick up or set down passengers. Traveling between Stockholm C and Södertälje by MTR is not possible.

(Pictures don't do justice to the beauty that this train truly is!)

This train, heading towards Nyköping and Norrköping, is operated by SJ Regional; a division of SJ that runs trains in the wider region around Stockholm. The black Rc6 locomotive (built by ASEA, now Bombardier) are one of the workhorses of SJ Regional.

dj4life, dimlys1994, 3737 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 01:06 AM   #555
dj4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
This is an odd train, the Taurus loco is modern, but the passenger coaches are definately outdated, they're from the 1960's. Compare them to the sleek X2000 coaches to the left.
Isn't it some kind of a retro train?
Old July 20th, 2015, 01:09 AM   #556
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
Isn't it some kind of a retro train?
It could be the Veolia-operated Snälltåget, which runs between Malmö and Stockholm.
Old July 20th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #557
dj4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
It could be the Veolia-operated Snalltåget, which runs between Malmö and Stockholm.
It may well be Snälltåget. Thank you for a great set of pictures from your visit in Stockholm.

AlexNL liked this post
Old July 26th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #558
dj4life

Some pictures of the Swedish trains:

Intercity train: X74/Stadler Flirt (MTR Express)

X74 001 in Gothenburg

Source

Source

Intercity train: X55/SJ 3000/Bombardier Regina (SJ AB)

X55 3352 in Umeå

Source

Regional train: X50-X54/Bombardier Regina (operators: X50 - SJ AB, Trafik i Mälardalen (TM), Västtrafik AB, X-trafik; X51 - Tåg i Bergslagen, X-trafik; X52 - Transitio, Upplands Lokaltrafik (UL), X-trafik, Värmlandstrafik, Tåg i Bergslagen, Norrtåg; X53 - Västtrafik, Värmlandstrafik; X54 - Tåg i Bergslagen)

Norrtåg X52 9042 in Sundsvall

Source

Västtrafik/SJ X52 9080 (a modified version of the regional train designed for a longer distance intercity service) in Gothenburg

Source

Öresund regional train: X32K/Öresundståg (Öresundståg AB)

X32K 4344 in Svågertorp (Malmö Syd)

Source

Mälardalen regional train: X40/Alstom Coradia (SJ AB)

A combination of X40 3319 (three cars) and X40 3339 (two cars) in Västerås

Source

Stockholm commuter train: X60/X60A/Alstom Coradia Nordic (SL AB)

Source

Commuter trains: X61/X62/Coradia Nordic (Västtrafik AB, Skånetrafiken AB, Östgötatrafiken/Jönköpings länstrafik AB, Norrtåg AB, Transitio)

Västtrafik X61 61409 in Gothenburg

Source

Skånetrafiken X61 010 Malmö

Source

Östgötatrafiken X61 61301 Norrköping

Source

Railbuses: Y31/Y32/Bombardier Itino (Krösatågen, Tåg i Bergslagen, Kalmar Länstrafik (Kustpilen), etc.)

Östgötatrafiken Y31 1425 in Hultsfred

Source

Jönköpings Länstrafik Y31 1405 in Hultsfred

Source

More information and pictures of the rolling stock in Sweden can be found in a dedicated website: http://www.jarnvag.net.

Robi_damian, dimlys1994, Svartmetall liked this post
Old July 27th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #559
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

My wife, her parents and I went to Uppsala yesterday. I took a quite extensive video showing Stockholm Centralstation, Uppsala Centralstation (which is really quite cool) and the journey leaving Stockholm Centralstation (until Solna station, so you get to see the new national stadium) and into Uppsala centrum (from the edge of Uppsala).

Stockholm Centralstation.

Our train. Was 89kr per person one way.

Departure.

Uppsala Centralstation.

Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #560
hammersklavier
Feral

I've always wondered why -- other than our hardy little toasters -- Sweden's never really sold their Rc series abroad.