daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #581
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8779

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
It isn't just the roofline. The carbody appears narrower, enough so it's noticeable to the eye.

Also w/r/t the squealing: I usually hear that either when trains have to negotiate tight curves or on freight trains, where I suspect it means the trucks' bearings need to be re-lubed. The squealing in that video sounds like the latter kind, and I've never heard of it being attributed to the track before.
http://www.acoustics.asn.au/conferen...R/AC040095.PDF

http://www.tcrponline.org/PDFDocumen...RPT%2023-C.pdf

Worn track and improperly trimmed wheels / conditions wheels can = noise it seems, unless I've misunderstood.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #582
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48594

Stadler Flirt (MTR Express) train at Katrineholm C station:

Katrineholm C 03.07.2015 by The STB, on Flickr

dimlys1994, bdogan liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #583
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The MTR Express is still one of the most stunning designed trains that I have ever seen.

dj4life liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #584
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3742

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
ASEA did export some Rc2 locomotives to Austria, where they were known as ÖBB Class 1043. In 2001, the engines were sold to Tågåkeriet i Bergslagen AB and returned to Sweden.
Also manufactured under ASEA license in Romania. 1050 were manufactured by Electroputere Craiova (class 40, 41, 42). Of them, 103 were exported to Yugoslavia, 45 to Bulgaria (class 46) and in 2 in PR China...

Most of them are still in service, and some are getting a complete refurbishment or modernization. Some components were made in Sweden...

Last edited by Klausenburg; August 9th, 2015 at 08:51 PM.
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #585
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
The MTR Express is still one of the most stunning designed trains that I have ever seen.
I would like to see that train on the Stockholm-Malmö route.

September 15th is an important date for trainspotters, this is when the Crocodile loco will appear southbound on the Stockholm-Malmö line.

loefet liked this post
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #586
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48594

X40/Alstom Coradia regional train in Jonsered, Västra Götaland county:

Flaggstångsberget, Jonsered, 2014 by biketommy999, on Flickr

SJ-tåg på Jonsereds station 2014 by biketommy999, on Flickr

Qwert, dimlys1994, AlexNL, Nexis liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #587
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Despite some of the doom and gloom in the thread, I can showcase one of the best stations I've seen in Sweden so far - Malmö Centralstation. This station received what is desperately needed in Stockholm - a bit of tender loving care. The platforms look awesome, the underground portion looks really cool indeed and generally the station is very, very well presented and one of the best I've seen for such a small city.

It was this welcome to Malmö that actually made me want to go back and explore further as I was so favourably impressed by this welcome to the city.

Additionally, here is a bit of a dodgy video of mine crossing the Öresundsbron (Öresunds Bridge) between Sweden and Denmark by train. Unfortunately the Öresundståg windows were very dirty so that made for a bad video.

Old August 10th, 2015, 02:10 AM   #588
AlexNL

Thanks for sharing! I agree with you that Malmö's station looks pretty neat.

I was in Stockholm last month, and while the station hall and the upstairs shopping area looked pretty neat, the platforms and the tunnel leading towards them looked pretty worn down. Such a pity!

dj4life liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 02:41 AM   #589
Adde

Likes (Received): 465

Malmö Centralstation is wonderful, I was very impressed by it when I used it back in '13.

I think they've done a good job with the renovations at Stockholms Centralstation, but yes, the under ground tunnels and platforms are quite grim. I'm guessing they're holding off on renovating until it's decided what's going to happen with the area in general? There's been plans to deck over more of the tracks but I think they're waiting for Citybanan to open before they can do anything.

dj4life liked this post
Adde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 10:47 AM   #590
AlexNL

It would make sense to wait for Citybanan, as it will have an impact on Stockholm Centralstation itself. Hopefully they're already in the planning phase now so that works can start shortly after Citybanan opens.
Old August 10th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #591
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
X40/Alstom Coradia regional train in Jonsered, Västra Götaland county:
Flaggstångsberget, Jonsered, 2014 by biketommy999, on Flickr

I remember when these first started running they were all 2+3 formations that I saw. Now I'm seeing more 3+3 formations. I wonder if it's possible to convert some to 4-car units? Would up capacity pretty nicely.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #592
Swede
forumer #29

I used Malmö Central 3 times about a week ago. Real nice.
Stockholm Central is far larger tho, and most part have IMO been hugely improved. What's left is indeed the actual tracks, platforms and access tunnel. As I recall the plan was years back to do major changes when Citybanan was completed. Not just over-decking the tracks over, and north of, the station but also re-do the whole layout of the tracks and platforms (it could create quite a bit of new capacity iirc).
I haven't heard anything about any such plans for a a few years tho. Could be that there simply isn't the money for it?.

One thought I've had when I'm walking fromth esubway to the trains is if all the operators of the cafes and shops along that tunnel have fully grasped how many fewer people will be walking there after Citybanan opens. Afaik the clear majority passing by are transferring subway<->commuter train and thus will stop walking there when Citybanan opens. Otoh maybe these daily commuters aren't spending near as much at the shops/cafes as the people waiting for regional/intercity trains?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Old August 10th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #593
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
I used Malmö Central 3 times about a week ago. Real nice.
Stockholm Central is far larger tho, and most part have IMO been hugely improved. What's left is indeed the actual tracks, platforms and access tunnel. As I recall the plan was years back to do major changes when Citybanan was completed. Not just over-decking the tracks over, and north of, the station but also re-do the whole layout of the tracks and platforms (it could create quite a bit of new capacity iirc).
I haven't heard anything about any such plans for a a few years tho. Could be that there simply isn't the money for it?.
As far as I knew there wasn't going to be a change last time I asked about it - the platforms were not going to be renovated at Stockholm C, which would be a shame. I would have thought there would be good reason to do so, though.

I agree, Stockholm C has been improved - the lower concourse looks good now, but the tunnel to the platforms and the platforms themselves are pretty shocking given how nice the rest of the station is. The tunnel to the tunnelbana I expect to be improved following the improvements for Citybanan, though.

Quote:
One thought I've had when I'm walking fromth esubway to the trains is if all the operators of the cafes and shops along that tunnel have fully grasped how many fewer people will be walking there after Citybanan opens. Afaik the clear majority passing by are transferring subway<->commuter train and thus will stop walking there when Citybanan opens. Otoh maybe these daily commuters aren't spending near as much at the shops/cafes as the people waiting for regional/intercity trains?
True, but I think the supermarket is a big draw card for most commuters. I bet people will still come up from the subway, do their shopping then go to the pendeltåg as it is so convenient to do so. I hope so anyway!
Old August 10th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #594
EaglesnButterflies

Likes (Received): 1386

Quote:
I remember when these first started running they were all 2+3 formations that I saw. Now I'm seeing more 3+3 formations. I wonder if it's possible to convert some to 4-car units? Would up capacity pretty nicely.
I don't think that is needed, if you are refering to the Alingsås commuter line, they run 4 times per hour during rush hour if I'm not mistaken, they've fixed the main issue with that commuter line as far as I'm concerned which was the lack of/low rate of departures on off hours, especially late at night, used to be quite bad, my first real girlfriend during high school lived in Floda, so logistics was a nightmare, if we went out partying on a thursday for example, there would be no trains for her, made for a lot of sleepovers though . That is now solved. Since you got trains departing throughout the night/early morning.

(google translate)
Quote:
The occupancy rate of commuter trains have been investigated, on the Alingsås commuter line the number fully occupied trains have increased. Week 1, none of the 255 trips were at full capacity. Week 2, 15 of the 425 trips, or 4 percent. Week 3, the figure was 21 fully occupied trips of 425, 5 per cent. Week 4 was 17 of 425 trips full, 4 percent, and week 5 was 27 of 425 trips fully occupied, representing 6 per cent. According to the report counted a commuter train as fully booked when travelers were forced to stand in the aisles between the seats.
X61 does for 4-car units to I believe? I'm not sure which commuter lines they occupy though, might be another line(I rarely use the commuter trains).

Where increased capacity is needed is at GBG C, but that is supposed to be fixed by Västlänken.

Last edited by EaglesnButterflies; August 10th, 2015 at 06:13 PM.
EaglesnButterflies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #595
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

An additional video that I haven't shared until today due to its sheer size and the amount of editing I had to do is this one. This covers the entire route from Stockholm all the way to Malmö, showcasing every train station and town along the route.

The route covers:
Stockholm (departure)
Norrköping (arrival and departure)
Linköping (arrival and departure)
Tranås (arrival and departure)
Nässjö (arrival and departure)
Alvesta (arrival and departure)
Hässleholm (arrival and departure)
Lund (arrival and departure)
Malmö (arrival)

Hope you guys enjoy. It's a side window view unfortunately.

Old August 11th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #596
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
An additional video that I haven't shared until today due to its sheer size and the amount of editing I had to do is this one. This covers the entire route from Stockholm all the way to Malmö, showcasing every train station and town along the route.

The route covers:
Stockholm (departure)
Norrköping (arrival and departure)
Linköping (arrival and departure)
Tranås (arrival and departure)
Nässjö (arrival and departure)
Alvesta (arrival and departure)
Hässleholm (arrival and departure)
Lund (arrival and departure)
Malmö (arrival)

Hope you guys enjoy. It's a side window view unfortunately.
Good initiative. I am still waiting for the unedited full ride video: Stockholm-Malmö. I did an 11 min. video of Linköping-Copenhagen in 2011, but with some music added on (which I regret now) These real time "ride along videos" are getting more popular on youtube. The japanese seem to be at the front with their full ride along Shinkansen 5 hour HD videos, which are really impressive, it feels like you are there. I use them to fall asleep, as they are very soothing.

loefet liked this post
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #597
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
As far as I knew there wasn't going to be a change last time I asked about it - the platforms were not going to be renovated at Stockholm C, which would be a shame. I would have thought there would be good reason to do so, though.
makes me sad that the opportunity won't be taken. I'm not surprised, but still a bit saddened.

Quote:
I agree, Stockholm C has been improved - the lower concourse looks good now, but the tunnel to the platforms and the platforms themselves are pretty shocking given how nice the rest of the station is. The tunnel to the tunnelbana I expect to be improved following the improvements for Citybanan, though.
I wouldn't say shocking. Maybe I'm just too used to it to notice it much?
Much of the tunnel has already been getting some improvements in the last few years. Or maybe the parts that have been "out of service" have been so due to the Citybanan construction and haven't even got a new coat of paint? I'm usually to focused on other things to notice nowadays.

Quote:
True, but I think the supermarket is a big draw card for most commuters. I bet people will still come up from the subway, do their shopping then go to the pendeltåg as it is so convenient to do so. I hope so anyway!
Good point. That Coop supermarket is pretty full every day. But I'm thinking it'll be too out-of-the-way for most people using the Commuter train - Tunnelbana connection once Citybanan opens. Still, a few years after Citybanan is done the old through-tracks (& bridges?) will be renovated and thus we will see a marked increase in regional trains -> and thus more people using the Central Station again.
It'll be a few interesting years, but given how the population keeps growing and passenger numbers too, it won't be an over-sized station most days. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesnButterflies View Post
I don't think that is needed, if you are refering to the Alingsås commuter line, they run 4 times per hour during rush hour if I'm not mistaken, they've fixed the main issue with that commuter line as far as I'm concerned which was the lack of/low rate of departures on off hours, especially late at night. That is now solved. Since you got trains departing throughout the night/early morning.
I was thinking more of the X40 sets running up here to/from Stockholm. The tracks are full here and more capacity requires more capacity per train. honestly, I hadn't thought about services served by X40 in other parts of the country.

Quote:
X61 does for 4-car units to I believe? I'm not sure which commuter lines they occupy though, might be another line(I rarely use the commuter trains).
X61 does that, sure. The X60 which is used by SL in Stockholm are 6-section units that are usually run in pairs. So extending X61 (which are essentially the same train) should be perfectly doable.

Quote:
Where increased capacity is needed is at GBG C, but that is supposed to be fixed by Västlänken.
Västlänken will be a big positive step for Göteborg, yeah. Like Citytunneln in Malmö almost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Good initiative. I am still waiting for the unedited full ride video: Stockholm-Malmö. I did an 11 min. video of Linköping-Copenhagen in 2011, but with some music added on (which I regret now) These real time "ride along videos" are getting more popular on youtube. The japanese seem to be at the front with their full ride along Shinkansen 5 hour HD videos, which are really impressive, it feels like you are there. I use them to fall asleep, as they are very soothing.
IMO the train operations should be doing this on their official youtube channels. Shouldn't cost much or take all that much time for them to do drivers POV ride-along vids. All their services, in 4K. Maybe mount cameras in the tailing end of the trains as well?

Svartmetall liked this post
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:49 AM   #598
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
I'm gonna answer my own question here with a quote from a post by dj4life in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
New regional trains that will serve the largest commuter metro area in Sweden Mälardalen will be introduced in 2018.

Source
Quote:
Leasing company AB Transitio announced on June 17 that it has ordered a build of 33 Kiss double-deck EMUs from Stadler at a cost of SKr3·5bn to operate regional services around Stockholm from 2018.
The order has been placed by Transitio on behalf of the MÄLAB joint venture bringing together the local transport authorities in the Stockholm, Sörmland, Örebro and Västmanland regions. These regions are responsible for procuring Mälartåg services on four corridors in and around the capital, which are to be expanded and retendered following the opening of the Citybanan cross-city tunnel in 2017.
The four-car units will be 105 m long and designed for a maximum speed of 200 km/h; they will be able to operate in multiple up to a maximum of four sets.
The Kisses will operate on the Svealandsbanan route linking Örebro, Eskilstuna, Stockholm and Uppsala, the Sörmlandspilen service from Stockholm to Katrineholm and Hallsberg, the Nyköpingsbanan from Stockholm to Norrköping and Nyköping, and the Uven cross-country service connecting Sala and Linköping via Västerås, Eskilstuna and Katrineholm.

Source: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/t...stockholm.html.
So the X40s in use in Mälardalen (Stockholm + nearby region surrounding lake Mälaren) won't get another section added, instead new 4 section EMUs will be introduced which I guess means the X40s will be moved to other parts of the country so that older units can be phased out.
The text says up to multiples of 4, but I don't think we'll even see multiples of 3 in regular service (at least for many years).
EDIT: according to Wiki the model isn't called Kiss in Sweden tho, it is called Dosto which is the older name for it. This because in Swedish "kiss" is a common word for urine.

dj4life liked this post

Last edited by Swede; August 12th, 2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old August 16th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #599
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

And some views from the rail stabling facility just a bit north of Solna station in Stockholm.

Old August 19th, 2015, 09:04 AM   #600
Swede
forumer #29

Hallandsåstunneln, front view of a rail car (i.e. an actual automobile with rail-wheels on it) going at 20 km/h north through the eastern tunnel.

Svartmetall liked this post