daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #601
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Something happend to the "Snälltåget"

Snälltåget run by a private operator is constantly affected by delays.

When I write this post, the train is still standing still at Linköping railway station, due to an unknown incident.
According to the Snälltåget-internet site, they are waiting for a replacement loco-driver.

At 11.24 today the train arrived at Linköping railway station.

The Taurus loco is waiting for a replacement driver.

1st class coach

Siemens built Taurus-locomotive in Hectorrail livery

Impatient passengers

Last edited by NordikNerd; August 19th, 2015 at 03:30 PM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #602
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Just because you step outside doesn't mean you're impatient If you know the train won't be leaving for at least 10-15 minutes you might as well stretch your legs a little. Especially on a long route like Stockholm - Malmö.

/I did just that three weeks ago. 'twas an X2000 at Norrköping tho. and my young daughter really needed somewhere new to go after already exploring the train.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

dj4life liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 03:36 PM   #603
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Just because you step outside doesn't mean you're impatient If you know the train won't be leaving for at least 10-15 minutes you might as well stretch your legs a little. Especially on a long route like Stockholm - Malmö.

/I did just that three weeks ago. 'twas an X2000 at Norrköping tho. and my young daughter really needed somewhere new to go after already exploring the train.
Either you are impatient or patient, it doesnt matter because the train will not leave earlier anyway.
10-15 minutes ? In this case the delay is +145 minutes which means you could have taken a walk into the city centre, have dinner and return before departure. But that is of course if you would have known about the magnitude of the delay.

Old August 19th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #604
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Yeah, the uncertainty is holding one back from doing something more substantial than walking along the platform. Had we known our stop would be for 90 minutes I might have headed out for something more to eat.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #605
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Yeah, the uncertainty is holding one back from doing something more substantial than walking along the platform. Had we known our stop would be for 90 minutes I might have headed out for something more to eat.
The train 3941 Snälltåget Stockholm-Malmö departed from Linköping today at 13.53 !

...which means that the delay was 2 hours and 29 minutes.

The train is expected to arrive in Malmö at 17:49 today, which is in ca 45 minutes when I write this post, that results in a total delay of 3 hours and 9 minutes, which is remarkable.

SJ X2000 bound for Linköping-Stockholm

SJ X2000 bound for Malmö & Copenhagen

Last edited by NordikNerd; August 20th, 2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old August 31st, 2015, 12:31 AM   #606
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4435

China wants to build Swedish's HSR system with lower costs and the whole network in just 5 years. I hope it goes through.

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/ki...g-pa-rekordtid

dj4life, blackeagle238 liked this post
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 12:56 AM   #607
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8819

Quoted from the Swedish forum, my response.

It's funny, Japan and China are really pushing their respective technologies at the moment across the world. In India, in Indonesia, in Malaysia, and now in Sweden. Good that delegates are being sent to both Japan and China to look at their respective technologies. I hope something comes of it for Sweden.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 01:43 AM   #608
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
China wants to build Swedish's HSR system with lower costs and the whole network in just 5 years. I hope it goes through.

The proposition to build the railroad on a bridge I think is actually a sound one, it would remove the physical barrier effect of the railroad. You can now cross it effortlessly as you simply go under it, this would be especially good for wildlife and have positive effect on biodiversity.

Of cause, the nimbys will go ballistic on this and launch all kinds of accusations, saying it will destroy the landscape, cause noise pollution, scare wildlife, destroy property value etc.

Last edited by gincan; August 31st, 2015 at 01:56 AM.
gincan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:11 AM   #609
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

It sounds like a very interesting proposal, but it does make me wonder how realistic it is. Why can the Chinese do it so much cheaper and faster than what Trafikverket considers to be feasible?

I am sure that land acquisition costs will be much lower for a high speed railway on a bridge, as you only need to purchase enough ground to be able to support the pylons (and some evacuation ladders). However, you do need to build a complete bridge structure that is capable of supporting the forces it gets exposed to when a 320 km/h high speed train rushes over it.

Furthermore, where do the time savings come from? Is it all because of using pre-fab components?
Old August 31st, 2015, 10:14 AM   #610
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
It sounds like a very interesting proposal, but it does make me wonder how realistic it is. Why can the Chinese do it so much cheaper and faster than what Trafikverket considers to be feasible?
It's a question about population density. The population of Sweden equals the number of people living in one big chinese city.

Swedish railways are in a poor state, the tracks need an urgent improvement at many routes, this concerns the important main lines. The official maximum speed allowed on swedish railways is 200km/h due to the signal system which engages the ATC, if that speed is exceeded. The average speed limit on the southern main line Linköping-Stockholm is more likely to be 140-160km/h

An X40 passes by Linghem. The speed limit Linköping-Linghem is 140km/h.

A black train with an Rc6-loco pulling the passenger coaches.
This type of train was common in the 1980's before the introduction of the X2000.
Only the colour of the train has changed from brown to blue and then black.

Last edited by NordikNerd; August 31st, 2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:58 AM   #611
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

This is a really interresting proposal, since it will cut years of what would likely be a very long process to see this project through if trafikverket should continue to run it in the tempo that they are progressing with it now.
In essence it's all pretty sound.

However, I think that there might be a backside to all this, like:
Not many Swedish workers would be involved in the process, but most of the work-force would most likely come from China. The building sites/working conditions would not be up to Swedish building code. Etc.
Very much like the Dragon Gate debacle..

So the question is, if they say yes to this, then just ignore the problems and be happy to have a nice new shiny railway in really short time or get caught up in loads of discussions about codes, etc. and may have to pay more or just end up with a half done job?
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 01:32 PM   #612
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

The tandem of Sweden, Japan and China has a great potential to develop a suitable HSR network for Sweden and other Scandianvian countries.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:57 PM   #613
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by loefet View Post

So the question is, if they say yes to this, then just ignore the problems and be happy to have a nice new shiny railway in really short time or get caught up in loads of discussions about codes, etc. and may have to pay more or just end up with a half done job?
I don't think that would be even possible, both legally and morally speaking. Bypassing local labour laws is very much not done in basically any Western country.
Old August 31st, 2015, 03:10 PM   #614
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

While this proposal may be fresh, this is nothing new, there have been earlier proposals as well. There are advantages and disadvantages to viaducts, mostly advantages in my view. One disadvantage is that while viaducts aren't noisier than ground rails, the noise carry further. Another, and I think this may be the main one in Scandinavia, a viaduct is also more visible. There is a culture in Scandinavia that seeing a man-made construction is a personal affront, particularly in nature. Any Swede (or Norwegian) in the horizon able to see any part of a construction if they twist their head just right will be eligible to complain, and many of them will.

As I said in the other thread, an Oslo-Stockholm HSR line, specifically a straight line between Askim/Fetsund to Karlstad/Arvika would be ideal for viaducts. The area is practically devoid of people, the people living there are starved of infrastructure investment, it is heavily forested (good noise protection), industrial forest, not virgin forest. Choice locations could have beautiful vistas, not like today seeing a wall of tree trunks miles on end.

From the point of nature a viaduct is a much less cruel cut than a railroad splitting a forest in two isolated segments. The same goes for local roads and paths.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 07:53 PM   #615
AlexNL

The Igelsta Bridge at Södertälje got built after all, and this bridge is much higher at its tallest point than a HSR should have to be.
Old September 1st, 2015, 07:47 AM   #616
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post

I bet these are the same Chinese that also want to dig a canal through Nicaragua...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 07:52 AM   #617
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
an Oslo-Stockholm HSR line, specifically a straight line between Askim/Fetsund to Karlstad/Arvika would be ideal for viaducts. The area is practically devoid of people, the people living there are starved of infrastructure investment, it is heavily forested (good noise protection), industrial forest, not virgin forest. Choice locations could have beautiful vistas, not like today seeing a wall of tree trunks miles on end.
But in an area devoid of people aquiring the needed land to build it at ground level is much cheaper. An elevated railway is a lot more expensive to build, a cost that can be ofset by the fact that you don't need to acquire that much land. But that only applies in densily populated areas.
Old September 1st, 2015, 07:54 AM   #618
K_

I was on several trains in Sweden over the last few weeks. On thing I found odd was that the X2000 service from Stockholm to Copenhagen had "Malmø" as destination both on the departure boards in the main hall, and the indicators on the platforms. It was only on the train itself that it was displayed that this train went to Copenhagen.
Why is that? Doesn't that make it hard for people that want to travel by train to Copenhagen?
Old September 1st, 2015, 11:43 AM   #619
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8819

The very fact it said Malmø is completely wrong too then while the train is in Sweden. It should say Malmö.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 12:09 PM   #620
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
I don't think that would be even possible, both legally and morally speaking. Bypassing local labour laws is very much not done in basically any Western country.
If there is a way to save money, then shure they will try everything. I can't care to mention how many times companies hire cheap labourers from other contries here in Sweden, end then paying them as they would have been back home instead of according to the rules here in Sweden. Both in constructions, but even more so for the "Berry picking" industry.

Also China have had it's problems here in Sweden in the past, especially with their "Dragon Gate" chinese cultural heritage site along the E4 between Uppsala and Gävle. It was shut down several times during it's construction due to code violations, and have also been voted the worst building site here in Sweden, so if they were to continue in this fashin with this project then you really have to think twice before if it's worht it. Hence my comment..
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote