daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #701

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedrepublic View Post
I agree that the ID checks are necessary at this point, but the arrangement with train switching at Kastrup is imo not the best way to deal with it.

I was thinking that they could dedicate a platform at København H to Sweden-bound trains, and check ID:s when you enter the platform. Don't stop at Ørestad and Tårnby, and do the same platform access-check at Kastrup. This wouldn't delay the trains, only the time (slightly) it takes to go down to the platform. Of course the trains between Helsingør and København H need to be different from the Sweden-bound ones, but that's imo a minor problem? Or maybe I'm just delusional now thanks to christmas.
Certainly they should be able to make a platform sort of like a airport arrival section; you come into a certain platform and you need to show ID to be able to leave.

I suppose they don't have this capacity since normally there isn't any ID requirements for travel between Denmark and Sweden.

Best thing would be if Denmark sealed of the border with Germany. Have ID checks and whatnot down there.
Certainly they stand to lose less money there than closing the Copenhagen/Malmö-route?

wastedrepublic liked this post
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #702
wastedrepublic
Transport Maniac

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Given that SJ is cancelling all trains to and from Denmark, I guess it's not possible to do checks in a way like you propose. This might have to do with capacity at København H?
Oh I forgot to mention I was mainly worried about Öresundstågen. SJ cancelled saying they don't have time to check passports when people enter the train because of the short turnaround time at København H.
Old December 27th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #703
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

On the Øresundståg website, I found this:
Quote:
As of 4 January 2016 the Swedish government are mandating rail, bus and ferry operators to carry out ID controls for all passengers travelling to Sweden. This affects you who will be crossing the Öresund Bridge.

Travelling from Denmark to Sweden
The ID controls take place at Copenhagen Airport. All Öresund trains bound for Sweden start at Copenhagen Airport. To get there from other stations in Denmark, you can use other trains, Metro or city bus. Please visit www.rejseplanen.dk for alternative transportation to Copenhagen Airport.
:/
Old December 28th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #704
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

How significant is a population of daily cross-border commuters and is it known what percentage of them use public transport for it? If I remember correctly the bridge is very expensive for private cars, or is there maybe a monthly/yearly pass I'm not aware off?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #705
AlexNL

There is a price plan for commuters but it is not very cheap either.

Old December 28th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #706
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Signal failure again

There have been a number of signal failures on the southern main line recently resulting in hour long delays.
Today it there was another one.

Train 526 towards Stockholm C was delayed by 1 hour 42 minutes.

Track 3 at Linkoping station has been extensively used by the X2000 in December due to the arrival of several delayed X2000's at the same time.

This sign will soon be in rememberance.

An X40 arrives at the final station.

A worn X2000

Last edited by NordikNerd; December 28th, 2015 at 02:52 PM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #707
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
Bothersome, but necessary.
I wonder why it's necessary. What will be achieved?
All those refugees want is to say "I want asylum" to the first Swedish official they encounter. What changes when you make them do this already in Kastrup?
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #708

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
All those refugees want is to say "I want asylum" to the first Swedish official they encounter. What changes when you make them do this already in Kastrup?
These migrants can easily be collected and not let roam free which has happened already.
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #709
Anders.o93

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Yes, They could do that at Hyllie station, but they can't do that at Kastrup. Do they not have a passport, they will not get onboard the train, and they can't seek asylum in Sweden. They must be on Swedish territory to be able to seek asylum in Sweden.

Swede liked this post
Anders.o93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 12:50 PM   #710
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

The Winter cold stops trains in the north

The severe cold has led to consequences for the rail traffic. The trains between Boden-Kiruna-Narvik have been canceled.

Yesterday Nattavaara had -42 °C so six passengertrains were canceled between Boden and Narvik. No replacement buses were offered.

The reason is mainly the risk of ice formation in the brake system.
It's too cold actually. If something happens with a train and it stops in the middle of the forest - then it quickly becomes a dangerous situation, says Lars Hedstrom, press officer at the Swedish Transport Administration in the Northern Region.

Meanwhile Linköping had -14 C yesterday, January 7th

Kpc21 liked this post
Old January 8th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #711
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

So there's -42 up there but just last week it got up to -1 at the north pole. Weird winter.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #712
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
The severe cold has led to consequences for the rail traffic. The trains between Boden-Kiruna-Narvik have been canceled.

Yesterday Nattavaara had -42 °C so six passengertrains were canceled between Boden and Narvik. No replacement buses were offered.
Sad to hear that they don't have the equipment to deal with the cold. MTAB on the other hand most likely run as normal with their IORE trains.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 12:07 PM   #713
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by loefet View Post
Sad to hear that they don't have the equipment to deal with the cold. MTAB on the other hand most likely run as normal with their IORE trains.
At those temperatures there is a higher risk of malfunction and you dont want to risk the passenger's security. If a train breaks down in the middle of nowhere in the woods at -42 C it's going to be dangerous, remember that in the north the railway goes through vast areas were there are no nearby roads, so how are they going to arrange shelter for the evacuated passengers ?
Old January 9th, 2016, 05:44 PM   #714
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

As I wrote, sad to see that they don't have the equipment to deal with the extreme temperatures. With that I mean that they don't run rolling-stock that is capable to run at those temperatures without troubles. Sure it may be more expensive to buy, but is it really better to shut down the service for those who depend on it?
It would be common sense to run such trains in those regions where extremely low temperatures are commonplace (sure not -40°C, but below -30°C happens almost every year).

Don't for instance chinese rail companies market trains made for adverse weather conditions?
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 03:05 AM   #715
AlexNL

All trains have been designed for specific circumstances and operating environments. Trains operating in the Nordics have been 'winterised' in a way which is greatly different from how trains that operate in say, Italy, are prepared for winter. This, of course, isn't free.

A temperature range is specified in which the rolling stock should be able to function. In Sweden, they might say "We want our trains to work between -35 °C and +30 °C" while in Italy they might say "We want our trains to work between -20 °C and +45 °C". The usual climate is taken into account for this.

If trains have to work with temperatures as low as -42 °C, some things will probably have to be changed - and this comes with a price tag. If temperatures this low are very uncommon (happens less than once a year on average), then it is not really an economical decision to prepare trains for this anyway.

By the way: it does not mean that the train by definition can't withstand temperatures of -42 °C, but as this temperature falls out of the design range they can't guarantee it either. So, they cancel it and wait until it gets warmer. You wouldn't drive a standard car (like a Ford Fiesta) in those temperatures either, would you?
Old January 14th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #716
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
six passengertrains were canceled between Boden and Narvik. No replacement buses were offered.
This is a strange way to treat passengers, no? I mean i am used to Nsb and for all their flaws they always provide alternative transport with bus or even taxi.
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #717
AlexNL

Not providing any alternative transporation is bad, indeed. Maybe the bus companies simply refused to run, because their buses would also have to travel through areas with outside temperatures of -40 ºC for which they were not built?

Swede liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #718
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

^That sounds like it's the explanation. They wouldn't want their buses to get stuck in snow when it's -30 and dozens of km to the nearest town just like SJ doesn't want that for it's trains.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #719
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

A railway station in 1970

In 1970 the trains were brown. The D-loco pulled most passengertrains on the
electrified lines. This train is bound for Göteborg.

The more modern and relatively new thyristor loco Rc1. It was introduced in 1967, about 20 locos were in service at this time so they were not that common yet.

The expresstrain to Göteborg and a Y6 railbus
Old February 4th, 2016, 01:11 PM   #720
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=524

Stockholm - Copenhagen SJ services to resume
Thursday, February 04, 2016

SWEDISH national train operator SJ will restore X2000 services between Stockholm and Copenhagen from March 1 after reaching an agreement with Danish infrastructure manager Banedanmark on security arrangements at Copenhagen Central

On December 17 the Swedish government passed legislation requiring passenger identification checks on trains entering Sweden. The law stipulates that checks must be carried out at stations before boarding, but SJ argued that this would not be possible at Copenhagen Central and subsequently withdrew services to the Danish capital when the law came into effect on January 4

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote