daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #721
DingeZ

Likes (Received): 61

I am planning a vacation with Interrail this summer (again) and this time including a trip Berlin - Malmö - Stockholm. I am still not sure wether to choose SJ X2000 or Snälltåget for the Malmö - Stockholm section. With interrail Snälltåget is 49 SEK and the X2 is 65 SEK. The price for breakfast is exactly the same as the reservation for both trains. The main advantage of the X2 is that it arrives almost 2 hours earlier due to a earlier departure and higher speed. Also, the seating in the X2 seems to be more comfortable and it is air conditioning. I'm mostly wondering whose breakfast is better. Anyone with experience of either or both?
DingeZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #722
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

It might be interesting to look at Snälltåget for the Berlin - Malmö leg of your journey as well, during the summer months they run overnight trains a few times a week.
Old February 17th, 2016, 12:23 AM   #723
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingeZ View Post
I am planning a vacation with Interrail this summer (again) and this time including a trip Berlin - Malmö - Stockholm. I am still not sure wether to choose SJ X2000 or Snälltåget for the Malmö - Stockholm section. With interrail Snälltåget is 49 SEK and the X2 is 65 SEK.
Snälltåget consists of old 1960's passenger wagons. I have noticed that longer delays are more common for Snälltåget than for the X2000 which keeps time better.

Snälltåget is more touristy and has better menues in the restaurant wagon which has an orient-express inspired interior.

The Berlin-Malmö train called "Berlin-Night-Express" uses a 4h ferry and I have read that the ventilation is poor in the passenger coaches onboard the ferry.

NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 12:56 AM   #724
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

I would definitely, definitely take the X2000.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:16 AM   #725
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

As someone who doesn't understand Swedish, "Snäll" sounds too much like the word "Snail"

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #726
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
As someone who doesn't understand Swedish, "Snäll" sounds too much like the word "Snail"

Snäll in Swedish translates as kind or nice.
But that's not were the name comes from, it comes from a "fun" translation of the German "schnell" which means fast. iirc "Snälltåg" has been used for the fast trains (as they were) since back when German was the main secondary language in Sweden. i.e. pre-WW2.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

zaphod, dj4life, fireflyH2O liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #727
DingeZ

Likes (Received): 61

The current planning is to take the Berlin Night Express and than take either the X2 or the Snälltåget to Stockholm. The weird thing is though that the X2 trains departing at 8:11 and 9:11 don't show up on the planner after the 2nd of July. Are they not running in the summer or do I have to wait for them to show up?
DingeZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:20 PM   #728
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingeZ View Post
The current planning is to take the Berlin Night Express and than take either the X2 or the Snälltåget to Stockholm. The weird thing is though that the X2 trains departing at 8:11 and 9:11 don't show up on the planner after the 2nd of July. Are they not running in the summer or do I have to wait for them to show up?
SJ only releases tickets 3 months in advance (4 for the tickets that are refundable), so you can't buy then just yet, you have to wait a few months in advance before booking.
And no I can see those specific trains after the 2nd of July, so they will still be running at that time.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:35 AM   #729
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Train caught fire on the way between Stockholm and Gothenburg on Saturday. Was an X2000.

http://www.thelocal.se/20160219/trai...-to-gothenburg
Old February 28th, 2016, 12:38 PM   #730
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Arlanda Express Expensive ticket price

The distance from Stockhom Central Station to Arlanda Airport is 40km
the train trip takes 30 min and costs 280SEK which equals 33$ or 30EUR.

If you book a ticket in advance a trainride Stockholm-Copenhagen distance 650km costs 195SEK
(20EUR/23$) for the 5:21 AM departure.

A flight ticket Stockholm Arlanda -Malmö Sturup costs 194SEK (20EUR/23$)
Old February 28th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #731
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Airport trains are almost always rip-offs!

The Heathrow Express is 25 pounds for a 15 mile journey.
The Edinburgh Tram's fare rises to 5 pounds from 1.50 for the final half-mile stretch to the airport.
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:34 PM   #732
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Airport trains are almost always rip-offs!

The Heathrow Express is 25 pounds for a 15 mile journey.
The Edinburgh Tram's fare rises to 5 pounds from 1.50 for the final half-mile stretch to the airport.
Yes. The prices are expensive, but for business-travellers that money is obviously no issue, they want fast comfortable connections.

If you're a budget traveller you take the airport-bus, it takes 41 minutes, which is an 11 additional minutes compared to the train. The price is 99SEK (11,6$/8,3£/10,6EUR)

You get 2,3 bustickets for one trainticket. Business people can't waste 11 minutes of their precious work hours for transport. Also they appreciate a spacious steady trainseat where they can use their laptops during the ride.
The shaky bus is cheap but not as efficient and convenient as the expensive train.
Old February 28th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #733
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Yes. The prices are expensive, but for business-travellers that money is obviously no issue, they want fast comfortable connections.

If you're a budget traveller you take the airport-bus, it takes 41 minutes, which is an 11 additional minutes compared to the train. The price is 99SEK (11,6$/8,3£/10,6EUR)

You get 2,3 bustickets for one trainticket. Business people can't waste 11 minutes of their precious work hours for transport. Also they appreciate a spacious steady trainseat where they can use their laptops during the ride.
The shaky bus is cheap but not as efficient and convenient as the expensive train.
I would agree with such a reasoning if thé railway was built with private money and does not require any public funding for operation. But otherwise it is socially not justifiable.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

suasion liked this post
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:20 AM   #734
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

A single journey on Arlanda Express takes 20 minutes, not 30. Arlanda Express is expensive because they run their trains every 15 minutes, and their delay repay scheme is very benificial for passengers: a 2 minute delay entitles you to a free new journey on AE.

If you don't care about all that, still want to ride a train, and save some money, there are some other options you can take:
- SL Pendeltåg line 38, which will take 38 minutes and will set you back 135 SEK (about € 14,50).
- SJ Regional, which will bring you from Arlanda C to Stockholm in 21 minutes. This train runs once an hour and costs 201 SEK (€ 21,50).

Last time I have used Arlanda Express, I was travelling together with a friend and we could use the '2 for 300 SEK' offer. Given that this is only 15 SEK more per person than the SL train and cheaper than the SJ train, I consider this to be a good deal.

dj4life, loefet liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:40 AM   #735
Adde

Likes (Received): 465

The separate tunnel and tracks (Arlandabanan) and stations of Arlanda Express was built by a private consortium. Thats also the reason you have to pay a separate fee to get off the pendeltåg or the regional train at Arlanda. I think there's a 40 year exclusivity deal.
Adde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 02:11 PM   #736
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

The Arlanda Express is only a good price if you are not travelling with SL for the rest of your time in Stockholm. If you are travelling with SL, the most cost-effective solution is to buy a period ticket (3-day, 7-day etc) and take the SL bus from Arlanda to Märsta and then take the pendeltåg. That is completely covered by your SL pass, and therefore the best way to save money if time is not an issue. The Pendeltåg also runs more frequently on the Märsta branch than it does on the Uppsala branch (the one that Arlanda is on).
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:45 PM   #737
rolabol
Roland Bol

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adde View Post
The separate tunnel and tracks (Arlandabanan) and stations of Arlanda Express was built by a private consortium. Thats also the reason you have to pay a separate fee to get off the pendeltåg or the regional train at Arlanda. I think there's a 40 year exclusivity deal.
Indeed, the fee is 75 kronor. I live in Uppsala, the UL bus to Arlanda costs 60 kr (on my prepaid card) while the SL train costs 135 kr. Usually I take the bus.

When the contract was signed, the was a right-wing government that believed strongly in privatisation. The deal included an option for the government to do a buy out of the infrastructure after a number of years (10?). Unfortunately, when the time came, the government decided not to use this option.

It's one thing that air passengers must pay this fee (and thus that budget travellers take the bus), but it also prevents Arlanda from becoming a regional transport hub (compare Schiphol, Frankfurt Flughafen).

Swede, Chilenofuturista liked this post
rolabol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #738
fireflyH2O
SJ X3000!

Likes (Received): 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolabol View Post
Indeed, the fee is 75 kronor. I live in Uppsala, the UL bus to Arlanda costs 60 kr (on my prepaid card) while the SL train costs 135 kr. Usually I take the bus.

When the contract was signed, the was a right-wing government that believed strongly in privatisation. The deal included an option for the government to do a buy out of the infrastructure after a number of years (10?). Unfortunately, when the time came, the government decided not to use this option.

It's one thing that air passengers must pay this fee (and thus that budget travellers take the bus), but it also prevents Arlanda from becoming a regional transport hub (compare Schiphol, Frankfurt Flughafen).
85 kronor
Old April 1st, 2016, 08:17 PM   #739
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Level crossing, Malmskogen

At Malmskogen there is one of 7000 level railway crossings in Sweden. The plan is to replace them with flyover crossings. Most level crossings on the main lines are on less important gravel roads. Each year 10 people die in accidents at level crossings.

The most common trains on the line Linköping-Norrköping

X14

X2000

X40

X60
Old April 6th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #740
dennan4

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
A single journey on Arlanda Express takes 20 minutes, not 30. Arlanda Express is expensive because they run their trains every 15 minutes, and their delay repay scheme is very benificial for passengers: a 2 minute delay entitles you to a free new journey on AE.

If you don't care about all that, still want to ride a train, and save some money, there are some other options you can take:
- SL Pendeltåg line 38, which will take 38 minutes and will set you back 135 SEK (about € 14,50).
- SJ Regional, which will bring you from Arlanda C to Stockholm in 21 minutes. This train runs once an hour and costs 201 SEK (€ 21,50).

Last time I have used Arlanda Express, I was travelling together with a friend and we could use the '2 for 300 SEK' offer. Given that this is only 15 SEK more per person than the SL train and cheaper than the SJ train, I consider this to be a good deal.

To put the prices in perspective a cab is approximately 500-600SEK, so if you aren't travelling alone, cab is actually a economically viable option from Arlanda to Stockholm.
Edit: Beware of the fradulent cab drivers though which would set you back 1500-4000SEK, just ask the price in advance.
dennan4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote