daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM   #101
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

From today 53 stations in Sweden will have free WiFi. Used to be free for 15 minutes, but now they've removed the time-limit and upped the capacity.

List of the 53 stations:
http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/pressro...-sverige-22238
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #102
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

The Venice Simplon-Orient-Express is coming to Sweden !! The train left Venice on April 8th with final destination Stockholm via Copenhagen.

On April 11th this train is at Malmö Central Railway station. I don't know if it's passing by Linköping. If so I will se if I can film it !! but I think on the way to Stockholm it goes Malmö - Göteborg - Stockholm.

http://www.vagabond.se/artiklar/nyhe...fran-stockholm
http://www.sydsvenskan.se/malmo/orie...en-till-malmo/

dj4life liked this post

Last edited by NordikNerd; April 10th, 2013 at 11:51 AM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #103
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

http://www.sydsvenskan.se/webb-tv/we...onal-pa-taget/

Arrival at Malmö Terminus Station. At last some continental flair here, I wish I could have seen it.

For the very first time in Stockholm. The Orient Express (not my photos)

Trainspotters write that the train was almost empty at arrival. I don't think Stockholm is going to be a long term destination for this legendary train.

dj4life liked this post

Last edited by NordikNerd; April 11th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #104
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3599

That funny, i have heard that the train was fully booked from Venice to Copenhagen and from Copenhagen to Venice so I guessed that it was the same for the Stockholm leg.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #105
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo-anders View Post
That funny, i have heard that the train was fully booked from Venice to Copenhagen and from Copenhagen to Venice so I guessed that it was the same for the Stockholm leg.
Obviously the passengers can choose and they don't have to book the journey the whole way.

Does someone know at which stations this train stops for boarding of passengers?

One thing I wonder about: The Orient Express rode through the tunnel and bridge over Store Bält with passengers but was not allowed over the Öresund with passengers.

At another forum someone wrote that for safety reasons the emergency brakes at the exits of the waggons were
monitored by guards while the train was passing over the Store Bält bridge and that gave them permission to haul passengers at that section.

No guards looked after the emergency brakes over the Öresund bridge which meant no access for passengers on the train over that bridge.
Old May 18th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #106
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

Can someone help me out here? I found a link a while back to weekly progress updates on the Hallandsås Tunnel. Now I can't seem to locate it again.

Any help would be appreciated.
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #107
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

Do you mean the Trafikverhet site perhaps?

Swede liked this post
eu01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #108
Swede
forumer #29

This page at Trafikverket.se has the updates (latest one right now is here), but is only available in Swedish. Google translate is halfway decent Swedish-English though since the languages are pretty close in both vocab and grammar.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Last edited by Swede; May 18th, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old May 18th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #109
StuZealand

Yes, that was it thank you both! Google translate is pretty good; I'm used to its translation quirks.

This time I'll save that page to my favorites.
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #110
StuZealand

A question about the west coast line: will the old single track line be retained when the Hallandsås tunnels open?
Old May 19th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #111
Swede
forumer #29

You mean the part that's being "replaced" by the tunnel? afaik it'll be kept in operation, but I'm far from sure.

EDIT: been reading a bit more about the project's status now and there's no indication the old track will remain. Given how troublesome the old alignment is for modern (and old) trains, I'd now say it'll get removed. It adds nothing, there's no station on top of the ridge or anything like that, so... away it'll go.

Last edited by Swede; May 20th, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old June 12th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #112
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Yesterday's :
Male Swedish train conductors wear skirts to protest dress code

Swedish train driver Martin Akersten poses wearing a skirt.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #113
Swede
forumer #29

Already slightly out of date Arriva backed down on the no-shorts policy, but I'm guessing the new shorts will take some time to be approved by the company (i.e. make sure everyone will use the same model).

In other news a commuter rail line in/near Stockholm (run by the Stockholm transit company, using the same trains as the trains going in Stockholm and at one end connecting to the regular commuter rail in Stockholm) might be shut down starting next year! Why? Because that line needs the capacity for long-distance trains. That's how crowded the tracks are in parts of Sweden: the Transport Authority (Trafikverket) is proposing shutting down local services so more long-distance services can be run.
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #114
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Thank you for revealing the currency of their news-ance
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #115
Swede
forumer #29

Weeeellllll.... it came out in a local paper last week, went international this weekend iirc and the company backed down yesterday. So it's not like you were actually late about it IMO, especially since I don't think I've seen much about the company backing down in the international media.
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #116
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Weeeellllll.... it came out in a local paper last week, went international this weekend iirc and the company backed down yesterday. So it's not like you were actually late about it IMO, especially since I don't think I've seen much about the company backing down in the international media.
It said in one of the reports that cabin temperatures of up to 35c. That is far too hot to work, I am surprised they are not on strike. I think the coverage has not been too critical of the company, more amusement at quite a novel solution to their problem.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #117
Swede
forumer #29

It's a solution that's happened before in Sweden. A few years ago it was bus drivers The feeling here in Stockholm has been mostly one of amusement too, and

Traditionally there is no A/C in Sweden on transit. I guess it was a choice between A/C and heating once and heating was way more needed. Starting to change, but even the newer buses get hot with all little open-able windows opened. 35 is no doubt not a good situation. A few years ago they had to re-do the drivers' cabins on the newish subway cars in Stockholm to make sure they didn't go up to 40ish. A strike was in the works before that was fixed iirc.
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #118
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

The main tubes of the 8.6 km Hallandsås tunnel have been bored:

http://tunneltalk.com/Sweden-Halland...eakthrough.php

This tunnel has been a sort of nightmare, with a lot of geological problems.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Swede liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #119
Swede
forumer #29

Nightmare is the right word. More than a decade late and a budget growing to mutliple times to original estimates It will be great for the capacity of the West Coast line when it is done tho.
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #120
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

I remember having read about it on Today's Railways Europe. The article presented it together with the CityTunnel in Malmö, which compared both projects, one as a very good one, the other as a nightmare.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote