daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #161
:jax:

Likes (Received): 538

Sweden doesn't have many routes where trains and planes compete directly, the 3 hour Stockholm-Gothenburg trip is too short to give air an advantage (but at least it is a consideration, the route Karlstad-Stockholm must be for people who really hate trains, or possibly have a plane to catch at Arlanda).

Then, if you would want to see the ore train above, you might want to go Stockholm-Kiruna. With Norwegian that starts at 250 SEK (!) one way, and while SJ doesn't even have Kiruna on their low fare calendar list, the lowest I found was 650 SEK. It's a 1 1/2 hour plane trip, a 16 hours train ride.

Stockholm-Malmö is the only major competitive route I can think of, but there, at 4 1/2 hours vs 1 hour, the advantage is already with air. Even though the price starts at 150 SEK for a 5+ hours trip versus 200 SEK for air, the real time/cost advantage is the time and money spent travelling to/from the airports, and for Stockholm-Malmö that is probably not enough to tip the balance in favour of trains.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #162
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

If the proposed high speed link is built there will be no good reason to fly domestically between Stockholm and Gothenburg or Malmo (Copenhagen as well). Of course the air will always be the top choice for trips to the far north, but there will never be many people going there.

Swede liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #163
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1662

A few pics of the under construction rail bridge that will lift the incoming inter-city tracks above and past the local commuter rail tracks near Årstaberg. The point is to shift the tracks so that there will be no at-grade crossovers needed when the new Citybanan commuter rail tunnel is opened in 2017.

Cool side-effect: people arriving to Stockholm by trains from the south will get a great view of the inner 'burbs (which are going to get quite a bit of development in the next couple of decades).

Rail bridge building itself! by Gustav Svärd, on Flickr

In need of change by Gustav Svärd, on Flickr

where the trains will land by Gustav Svärd, on Flickr

HSR? not really, no. by Gustav Svärd, on Flickr

Leaving Stockholm by Gustav Svärd, on Flickr

just a 3 more years til in service by Gustav Svärd, on Flickr

Looking kinda sleek. by Gustav Svärd, on Flickr

arriving Stockholm by Gustav Svärd, on Flickr
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

SAS 16, BringMe liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 05:17 PM   #164
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

Finally, concrete sleepers for the Stångådal-railway, meaning higher standard for this railway, but probably not faster trains.

The goodsdepot is moved to another spot about 100m away.

This railway begins in Linköping and ends in Västervik/Kalmar
NordikNerd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #165
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

From Global Rail News:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/0...wned-operator/

MTR loses legal challenge against state-owned operator
27 MAY, 2014

MTR has lost its legal challenge against Sweden’s state-owned operator after being blocked from selling tickets on its website.

Sweden’s competition authority (FCA) has said it is dropping its investigation into SJ.

MTR is not able to sell tickets for its new MTR Express service between Stockholm and Gothenburg through SJ’s booking website. Although the site is open to other operators, SJ has said it will block those which run trains that are in direct competition with its own services. MTR, however, believes that it is being unfairly singled out.

MTR Express is planning to run 110 trains a week along a 455-kilometre route between Gothenburg and Stockholm, with the first commercial service to launch in March 2015.

Chief executive of MTR Express Johan Soor said the decision not to pursue the case was an ‘error’. Soor also questioned SJ’s argument, pointing out that despite operating what could be considered competing services, Veolia, SL, Blå Tåget and Öresund are allowed to distribute tickets through SJ’s website.

Soor said it was ‘regrettable’ that SJ was allowed to dictate the terms of competition in a liberalised market. Adding that SJ would not be allowed to sell tickets through the MTR website
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #166
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

To be honest I don't see a problem with that to a point. The solution would be to set up an independent site for purchase of tickets from all operators - perhaps a government owned website. That way you'll not have a single company with a monopoly for ticket purchases.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #167
Swede
forumer #29

I agree. Trafikverket should run that site IMO. All trains, intercity buses, ferries, flights on one site. Give us at least that one small boon from having Trafikverket instead of the seperate enteties we had before, 'cuz it sure ain't been giving us decent rail maintence (maaaaybe because most of the execs came from the roads authority).
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Svartmetall liked this post
Old June 3rd, 2014, 12:22 PM   #168
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Incoming commuter train

X40 double decker and Rc6 locotrain waiting for departure to Stockholm.

Last edited by NordikNerd; June 7th, 2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old June 7th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #169
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

The strike in south Sweden is still going on. No passenger trains across the Öresund bridge. I'm glad I didnt order any train tickets for this year´s vacation. For the moment all trains Stockholm-Göteborg blocked by a faulty canal bridge at Töreboda.

Travel with train is very unsecure these days. Last year there was flooding in Germany. This year: Strikes in Sweden, bridge repair in Denmark.

Last edited by NordikNerd; June 7th, 2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old June 7th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #170
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/t...und-depot.html

MTR Express to use Hagalund depot
07 Jun 2014

SWEDEN: National station and railway property company Jernhusen announced on June 2 that it had signed a 10-year agreement to provide new open access inter-city operator MTR Express with stabling and maintenance facilities for six Stadler Flirt EMUs which will operate Stockholm – Gøteborg inter-city services from March 2015.

The EMUs will be based at the existing Hagalund depot in Solna, north of the capital, which Jernhusen says is one of the oldest and largest depots in northern Europe. Jernhusen has committed to invest SKr150m to build a new facility on the site of the existing Old Carriage Shed. This will be equipped with the latest technology for daily servicing and maintenance.

Development of the facilities will be undertaken by Jernhusen in co-operation with MTR Express and Stadler Sweden AB, which will maintain the trains.

MTR Express CEO Johan Söör said the 10-year agreement ‘shows the long-term nature of our investment’, adding that ‘we want to be a company that contributes to the Swedish transport market and improves efficiency’.

dj4life liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #171
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 182

It seems the public opinion and that of the oposition is in favor of reversing the deregulation of the railsystem.

https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artike...rtikel=5882012

Quote:
Oppositionen kräver statligt ansvar för järnvägsunderhåll

Problemen i tågtrafiken är så allvarliga att staten nu måste ta ett samlat ansvar för underhållet. Det kräver idag de fyra oppositionspartierna i riksdagens trafikutskott.
Publicerat torsdag 5 juni kl 14:16
Dela

– Vi har Europas mest uppsplittrade järnvägsunderhåll, men vi har absolut inte Europas bästa järnvägsunderhåll. Dag efter dag så stannar tågen, kontaktledningar rivs ned, och det beror ju på att regeringen inte agerar, säger Anders Ygeman (S), ordförande i trafikutskottet.

Så vad vill oppositionen göra?

– Vi vill ta tillbaka underhållet i en samlad underhållsorganisation, så vi kan ge tågresenärerna bästa möjliga tågtrafik och bästa möjliga underhåll, säger Ygeman.

I ett så kallat tillkännagivande till regeringen slår majoriteten i trafikutskottet i dag därför fast att staten bör ta det samlade ansvaret för järnvägsunderhållet, i takt med att de befintliga underhållskontrakten löper ut.

– Det skulle göra att banägaren, Trafikverket, har egen kontroll över skicket på banan och möjligheten att åtgärda det. Riksrevisonen har ju gett allvarlig kritik hur den här upphandlingsmodellen leder till ett mindre effektivt underhåll, säger trafikutskottets ordförande Anders Ygeman.
And...

http://www.dn.se/debatt/svenskarna-v...marknadshyror/

Quote:
”Svenskarna vill ha statlig järnväg och marknadshyror”

Ny undersökning. Svenska folket är allmänt positivt till de senaste decenniernas ökade valmöjligheter men ser problem med järnvägarna och apoteken. Samtidigt vill drygt hälften ha marknadshyror. Den fråga som polariserar allmänheten mest är vinster i vården, skriver forskarna Björn Fjæstad och Jenny Björkman.

I femton år rådde någorlunda enighet mellan de politiska blocken om att avregleringar och privatiseringar var både nödvändiga och framgångsrika. Först för några år sedan inleddes en mer omfattande debatt om exempelvis friskolornas ekonomiska stabilitet, betygssättning och inverkan på segregation, liksom om övervinster, låg bemanning och bristande mänsklighet i privata vårdbolag. Flera av de politiska partierna – på båda sidor om blockgränsen – har sedan en tid luftat idéer om att rulla tillbaka delar av reformerna inom vård och omsorg, kanske för att de anar att delar av marknadiseringen har ett högst begränsat stöd bland allmänheten.

Anser du att Sverige ska återinföra statligt monopol på järnvägarna?

Uppenbarligen är allmänheten inte alls nöjd med hur ”hela svenska folkets järnväg” har hanterats på senare år. Hela 70 procent svarar ja på frågan om återförstatligande. Åsikten är särskilt vanlig bland pensionärer (84 procent), i Norrland (81 procent) och bland män (74 procent). Även i den minst kritiska åldersgruppen, 18–29 år, finns en klar majoritet (59 procent) för återförstatligande. Rödgröna sympatisörer är mer positiva till statligt monopol än borgerliga (83 procent mot 56 procent).
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #172
Swede
forumer #29

That's my feeling too, people have had more than enough of pig-headed stupidly structured for-profit deals on parts of the railway operations.
My take on it is that the parts people are tired of is:
1. not enough maintenance to keep existing rails operational. Way too many parts are breaking down and trains ARE derailing.
2. insufficient investment in new capacity.
Fix #1 and people will calm down. Fix both and people will be happy. Most people see a direct connection between the privatization of the rail sector and both issues. I'd say that is part of the reason, especially specifically how it was set up here. Another BIG reason is the merger of the roads authority and the railway authority - it has turned into basically just the roads authority with a new name and the railways are very much low down on Trafikverket's priorities.
Old June 8th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #173
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3595

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
The strike in south Sweden is still going on. No passenger trains across the Öresund bridge. I'm glad I didnt order any train tickets for this year´s vacation. For the moment all trains Stockholm-Göteborg blocked by a faulty canal bridge at Töreboda.

Travel with train is very unsecure these days. Last year there was flooding in Germany. This year: Strikes in Sweden, bridge repair in Denmark.

I know its popular in these days and ages to criticize the railways no matter what but its actually a new ringroad north of Næstved that is responsible for the track closure in Sydbanen in Denmark.

But luckily we have the Lille Syd line so the trains can arrive in Copenhagen only some 20-30 minutes later depending on departure.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:06 AM   #174
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48594

Just love those Stadler Flirt EMU (MTR Express) illustrations.
(Hopefully, nobody minds me re-posting some of the pictures, combined in one post)

(c) mtrexpress.se

(c) mtrexpress.se

(c) mtrexpress.se

More information: MTR Express, Stadler Rail.

Robi_damian liked this post
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #175
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Stadler are fantastic looking trains. I really like them. Will be good to have some competition for SJ - hopefully cheaper trains for us all.
Old June 12th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #176
:jax:

Likes (Received): 538

The Flirts are very good trains, I like them, and they look good in red and black in the pictures.

They were unpopular with some commuters around Oslo, which had nothing to do with the trains themselves, and much to do with the dangers of focus groups. The commuter organisations wanted more seats, and NSB gave them more seats, and then the complaint were that they were too narrow. So the interior was redesigned at considerable cost.

dj4life liked this post
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #177
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48594

HSR in Sweden

Planning stage for a HSR line (with a speed of 320 km/h) Ostlänken in Sweden begins. The Swedish Transport Administration (Trafikverket) chose "ÅF" and "Tyréns" as consultants in planning the technical sollutions. The construction work is scheduled to start in 2017. According to the plan, the line will be adjoined with Europabanan, too.

Trafikverket

More information: Trafikverket, ÅF vinner konsultuppdrag i Ostlänken, Linköping och Trafikverket överens om del av Ostlänken

Svartmetall, dimlys1994, telemaxx liked this post

Last edited by dj4life; June 12th, 2014 at 03:18 PM.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #178
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Now that is good news. I very much hope this is built quickly as that part of the line suffers from delays far too easily due to freight. It's single track for a lot of the way.
Old June 13th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #179
Erhan

Likes (Received): 10539

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post
Planning stage for a HSR line (with a speed of 320 km/h) Ostlänken in Sweden begins. The Swedish Transport Administration (Trafikverket) chose "ÅF" and "Tyréns" as consultants in planning the technical sollutions. The construction work is scheduled to start in 2017. According to the plan, the line will be adjoined with Europabanan, too.

Trafikverket

More information: Trafikverket, ÅF vinner konsultuppdrag i Ostlänken, Linköping och Trafikverket överens om del av Ostlänken
Looks like they're gonna build it in a tunnel through Linköping, unnecessary if you ask me. They could do better things with the money spent on a tunnel and they will miss the opportunity to promote their site...all the passengers will remember from Linköping is a tunnel, probably a boring one :/
Old June 13th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #180
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
all the passengers will remember from Linköping is a tunnel, probably a boring one

Yes, it will indeed be a very boring tunnel

Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote