daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:54 PM   #1
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 378

Riga Photo Colada

As you know, Pina Colada is a popular Caribbean cocktail. This thread will be my photo cocktail of Riga. I decided to put on hold my daily conceptual thread about Riga, I will return to it when I will be sick for strict order and management again. Now I will try something opposite - will post pics in chaotic order, trying to mix up the most different places/photos. You will never know what comes up next - relax and enjoy Riga in all it's diversity!

1. Three art lovers in Old Town

2. A lonely man on the vastness of Ķīšezers lake

3. Another lonely man waiting for his catch in Daugava river...

4. Lantern on Mūrnieku street - a small paradise in otherwise quite neglected area

5. Our "Golden bridge" (Southern bridge) - usually we say it with bitter, because of the costly construction of the bridge and some 40 mio EUR drain to corrupt person's pockets. But in this pic it really looks like it was made of gold

6. Okay, it's actually orange

7. Armenian minority church in Maskavas district

8. Lady with camera wandering around Riga Old Town and waiting for sun to appear. Yeah, I think every photographer knows what it means - to long for at least a couple of sunbeams in a cloudy day, when you want to take a good shot of something.

9. Industrial brutality - Riga commercial port. In B&W it looks like a pic from Soviet times.

10. The same in colours

11. Urban kitten

12. The most interesting and creative advertisement I have seen in Riga!

13. A bit unusual appartment buildings in Maskavas district - like them.

14. Riga city life

15. Brīvības street. The historical building in the centre associates with sad memories for Latvians - it housed local KGB headoffices in Soviet times.

16. This exhibition hall sign I found on the underground floor of one shopping passage in Riga Old Town.

17. Just a building on Valdemāra street

18. ...and it's neighbour

19. Are there parallel universes existing??

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013NEW! VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012ON-GOING MADRID & BRUSSELS 2011 PARIS & STOCKHOLM 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011

Jackahhz, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Vecais Sakarnis; February 20th, 2010 at 03:28 PM.
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM   #2
tonyssa

Nice city!
tonyssa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM   #3
IllyaDe
Zp Style

Likes (Received): 1616

amazing shots
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:25 PM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 35544

Awesome photos from Riga
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Johnny Blade
█ �� █

Likes (Received): 87

Great photographs of Riga!
Johnny Blade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Vecais Sakarnis

Made a little lottery on my pc, by searching my picture archive by numbers which before I rolled on dice - 2,5,8. From given pics chose some of those which as far as I remember I haven't showed in any of my threads.

20. Statue in Riga Old Town courtyard - a priviliged one, with roof over it's head.

21. Modern building of Riga port authority which despite of location in the very centre, is quite unknown even for locals.

22. Old Town building entrance which looks like designed by someone who was "high" at the moment

23. Early spring comes with first sunny days, wood-notes and... first motorcyclists in the city streets.

24. A small cosy building on Lāčplēša street.

25. Far away, on the city suburbs, a Soviet time industrial building has been turned into quite decent looking modern offices centre. By the way, rebuilding of Soviet time industrial facilities/warehouses to modern offices has been very popular trend in Riga in last years. Along with the huuge historical centre floor space, it is the main explanation of why Riga hasn't built many new office buildings and highrises.

26. Rooftops of Maskavas forštate.

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013NEW! VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012ON-GOING MADRID & BRUSSELS 2011 PARIS & STOCKHOLM 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

Old November 4th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #7
Liwwadden

Likes (Received): 19

Great shots. Keep 'em coming!
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #8
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 192

Thanks for the photos.

Riga is a stunning city. I absolutely love its inter-war architecture that can be rivalled by very few cities in Europe. Riga would undoubtedly be one of the greatest metropolises in Europe by now just like it was back in inter-war, if it wasn't for our Soviet friends.
Old November 6th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #9
Vecais Sakarnis

27. Krasta street expressway which leads from the centre to city's southern suburbs. This is a place some 5 km from centre, rather extensively built-up area with many different kind of shopping malls, fast food restaurants on road sides. On the right side you see "Lido" eating & entertainment complex which is a really nice place.

28. Decadence in Āgenskalns district

30. The same Old town patio with luxurious scuplture.

31. Sunset over railway between Krasta and Dārzciems districts in southern Riga.

32. This entrance in Silent centre seems so magical - beautiful, but at the same time lonely and sad.

33. This is a little PR trick. One could think the bar stands here since 1752. The bar itself is very new - it was opened in 2007. Since 1752 - it regards to Riga Black balsam - then the drink was first time mentioned in written sources.

34. Functionalism from interwar period is another addition to Riga Old Town's architectural diversity.

35. My good old shot "snake" which won in SSC Urban photo contest

36. Spring colours in Vērmaņdārzs park, besides Latvia University building.

37. Simpler building in Silent centre district

38. 2 trams meeting one another in Miera street

39. The black building

40. Building on Brīvības street.

41.Old Town's triangles

42. Barona street's eminence

Old November 8th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #10
Vecais Sakarnis

43. Urban idyll - highrises, cranes, bridge pillar and airplane.

44. "Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth. Neo: What truth? Spoon boy: There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself."

45. Mīlgrāvis canal at Vecmīlgrāvis district (10 km to north from centre) is a ship paradise - the largest ship repair&building factory on the coasts of Baltic sea is located there (at least they say so).

46. One more pic from this amazing place (we will definitely return there again).

47. At Stalin times, architecture in Soviet Union wasn't reduced to simple blocks yet. It had some claims to royalty. These are the lanterns at VEF Culture Palace, built in 50ies.

48. Childrens playing football in Maskavas park (Moscow park) in Maskavas forštate suburb aka "Maskačka". By the way, while this is "Moscow park" in Riga, there is a "Riga park" in Moscow too - opened this year.

49. One more shot from Maskavas district, some 1 km away. It seems, basketball is not so beloved among the locals

50. Take a deep breath of this beauty, before we leave to some industrial places

51. Far away, in the southern outskirts of the city, there is located Šķirotava - a huuge industrial/warehouse district. I found the area absolutely amazing. The most active industries there are wood-processing. This facility, located technically outside Riga city borders, is also something related to woodworking.

52. "Flammable! Don't smoke!"

54. Logistic parks and warehouses fights hardly with industrial objects to rule the place - and it seems they wins.

56. Stairways to heaven...

57. It looks like somewhere in deep countryside, doesn't it?

58. Back to the turmoil of Riga centre...

59. Interesting "monster" building on Birznieka-Upīša street.

60. And a very different one not far away - wooden manor house on Visvalža street (you can find a beautiful description of it in Gatis' home page: www.ambermarks.com)

61. Grīziņkalns is a part of centre, where many people still have wood heating. This year, not all could afford to buy a firewood for the winter - it was reported on TV news. This man can call himself lucky - already in August he carried firewood into his basement.

62. A piece of city centre from above.

63. Traffic tunnel below Riga's railway bed. Such places are robber's paradise in every city, I think.

64. In this picture you can see that even Akmens bridge - shortest, oldest and seemingly "most stable" of Riga bridges - looks crooked in tele-zoom. So, no worries about Southern bridge.

65. "Tele 2" fake meteorite was just a trifle. Look what "Osram" have done - they've made the sun to look like an electric bulb!

66. Evening at the river

Old November 14th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #11
Vecais Sakarnis

67. Starting with the most actual picture - 11th November is triumph day in Latvia history - in 1919, Latvians defeated Bermont's army (German and Russian united forces) in Riga and saved independence of Latvia (country was proclaimed just year ago). Every 11th November there is a tradition to come and leave candles at Riga castle wall. When I went around there, it has just started - these are just first people and candles, later the wall was full with candles and the square full with people.

68. Āgenskalns' architectural mosaique

69. Office building at Salu bridge

70. Sip a cup of coffee while observing Riga city life through window - many cafes in centre offers you such desirable option.

71. Kvass drinking in hot summer days is still quite popular in Riga, although in most cases it tastes watery. There are several kvass selling points in Central market when it's hot outside, and they do well - buyers comes almost non-stop.

73. April morning sky over Southern highway construction field...

74. Quite a spooky place in Distant centre (one could shoot some horror movie there in full moon nights) - a cemetery with historical monuments, which are neglected now and marked with Satanic symbols.

77. Return to Riga Central Market - this is bread pavillion.

78. Lithuanian and Latvian strawberries side by side. Interesting that there is written "local" at the Lithuanian strawberries, but not at Latvian ones.

79. At the parliament building

80. Alice in Wonderland

81. Another glass reflections (at the Central station)

82. Place in Old Town where Cinema Museum is located

83. Claustrophobia

84. Art Nouveau

85. Backside of Orthodox church

86. Brīvības street offers many great urban views - this is from place some 3 km from Old Town, looking back to central core

87. Some of Riga centre courtyards:

93. Over entrance of cinema "Riga"

94. Some randomly chosen separate buildings in different places of Riga centre

99. These guys play nice music

100. June - the month of graduates. After the ceremony, graduates takes a chance to be photographed at the entrance of University of Latvia central building and also to descend the main stairs, because there is a belief that you shouldn't do it if you're still studying in the university - because then you won't finish it. I can confirm, that this is not true - as I descended the stairs when still studied in 2nd year, and despite of it - graduated

103. The Urban bird

Old November 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #12
void0

Likes (Received): 706

This reminds me St.Petersburg
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #13
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais Sakarnis View Post

That´s a beautiful photo!

Keep them coming!
They´re wonderful, such as your descriptions
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #14
ABC LV
✖✖✖✖✖✖

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:

78. Lithuanian and Latvian strawberries side by side. Interesting that there is written "local" at the Lithuanian strawberries, but not at Latvian ones.

Our strawberries are larger

Quote:

62. A piece of city centre from above.

From what place did you took this photo? And what is that concrete block on the top of building which looks like a Riga art museum?
ABC LV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #15
Vecais Sakarnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC LV View Post
From what place did you took this photo? And what is that concrete block on the top of building which looks like a Riga art museum?
It is tele-zoom photo taken from Alberta hotel open-air terrace. That concrete block - it seems chimney to me.

Old November 17th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #16
Vecais Sakarnis

104. Railway bridge since it's lightened, has become one of the most (if not the most) attractive features of Riga at night!

106. Ride with a small ship on Daugava has became quite popular in Riga. If frankly, not always it's very safe - there was a case this summer, when one of those ships impacted into Akmens bridge pier. Captain was just drunk Stewardesses get off the board before the ride started, passsengers didn't suspected anything and stayed. Luckily, noone suffered seriously.

107. Why banks always like to play with clocks? Maybe it's because "time is money"? Here one Hansabanka entrance in Riga centre...

108. And here Parex bank entrance some quarters farther. Both banks have experienced serious changes - Hansabanka now is called Swedbank, but Parex from private bank has became state bank (and almost submerged Latvia's economy).

109. Something of commieblockish brutality

110. This guy on the opposite side of Daugava river to centre counts Riga church towers... Not an easy task, really.

111. Did you know there is a piece of Berlin wall in Riga? At least most of Rigans don't know it although it's located in the very centre. Recently (in regard to 20th anniversary since deconstruction of Berlin wall) in one TV broadcast people were asked on the streets, and noone knew.

112. Omg, how I would like to visit all those small towers of Riga centre buildings and check the views from there! This one = unusual tower, located not on the corner of building but in the middle of it, it's on Tērbatas street.

113. Balconies in Silent centre

114. 2 skylines - clouds competes with city's suburban highrises.

Old November 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #17
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 158

This makes me want to visit Riga. I loved all these photos, especially the wooden manor! This city seems very interesting at street level for an urban photographer.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:30 AM   #18
Vecais Sakarnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlelife View Post
This makes me want to visit Riga. I loved all these photos, especially the wooden manor! This city seems very interesting at street level for an urban photographer.
Yeah, although Riga hasn't many huge skyscrapers and also has rather low building density outside centre, it has very strong and unique urban character, the feeling of the place. Riga is a city with soul... And those wooden manor houses are many more in Riga, see Gatis' page if you're interested! And I will try to show them in some of my on-going Riga threads as well.

Old March 21st, 2010, 04:05 PM   #19
Vecais Sakarnis

Next page --->

Old March 21st, 2010, 04:06 PM   #20
Vecais Sakarnis

Time after time will update this thread by posting here photos from my Riga daily photo blog.

115. Winter aerial picture. One cold cold Saturday of January I went up to St Peters church tower to take winter aerial shots of the city. It was freezing as hell to be up there in the cold wind and minus 10 degrees but the sunny+snowy combination is so rare here that it was worth it. Winter at it's best!

116. Shopping centre under construction. Despite of economic depression, construction of another new supermarket (and this one is intended as a top-class) is closing to it's final phase - "Galerija Patollo" is filling the gap between Dzirnavu and Blaumaņa streets. Riga centre has got quite many shopping centres (almost everywhere where I have been, there isn't tendency to build supermarkets in the city's centre, f.e., in Stockholm it was almost impossible to find at least one) - Stockmann, Origo, Galerija Centrs, Barona Centrs, Valdemāra Centrs, Triangula bastions, Bērnu pasaule. So, "Galerija Patollo" is upcoming 8th shopping mall in Riga's centre.

117. Dreamwalker

118. The border. This is the place which could be regarded as borderline of historical centre - old stadium besides railway line which separates centre from commieblock districts which you see in the background.

119. Up. Are we coming out of the recession?

120. Tower in fog. Riga TV tower is the highest structure in Latvia (365 m) and sometimes, in fog, it's only partly visible.

121. Historical meets modern.
Both buildings are banks.

122. Another modern+historical fragment of Riga city mosaique, from Valdemāra street.

123. Old wooden house. One of many houses in Mežaparks district. Most of them are posh villas, but I found this old poor one very charming.

124. Urban area. Technically it's not Riga, but practicaly it is - while separate town 10 years ago, after a building and real estate loan boom Ķekava is now a part (and start) of Riga urban area (20 km to south from Riga centre). Thousands of private houses have been built along Riga-Ķekava road (10 km), right in the meadows, without proper infrastructure and planning, and of course you can forget about such things as the coherent and nice architecture. While in Riga itself the population is decreasing every year, areas around Riga are the only ones in Latvia where it has increased, due to this massive housing development. So, with real estate loan boom we have got many "great things" at once:
1) crashed economy
2) thousands of people who are struggling hardly to repay their loans
3) American style urban sprawl around Riga and all the problems of it

125. Winter streetscene. From far away suburbs to the centre of city - this is Brīvības street, picture from February. Density here does it's job - in cold days of January, the temperature in city's central part was significantly higher than in suburbs - one morning, f.e, difference reported by the Latvian Meteorological centre was 7 degrees - minus 26 in suburbs and only minus 19 in centre.

126. Brīvības street in winter afternoon. Another shot of Brīvības street - this one from winter afternoon, in direction to central part. Busy traffic, gorgeous architecture, shop signs and people - that's the common features of Riga centre streets.

127. Guards of honor.
The shift of guards of honor at Liberty monument.

128. Mega icicles.
Countless Riga buildings were covered with icicles this winter and some of them were really huge - like this one, which is almost in the size of whole 2nd floor of this house (it's health centre, by the way). It seems, such icicle could even reach the ground from the roof - that would be funny! But not so funny part is when temperatures climbs over zero (like previous days) and all this starts to melt - then it go down on walker's heads! There are people who's task is to save walkers from that - look at next pictures...

129. Roof cleaner. A man who cleans roofs from snow and icicles must be not only cold-resistent but also very cautious and precise, especially if you work on top-class, chic buildings. This man shouted some "stronger words" when one icicle fell down dangerously close to one of the building's windows

131. Dilemma. And this is where roof cleaners hasn't done their job yet - a classic dilemma in winter in Riga: which is better way to risk with your life - to walk on the pavement, under the icicles which can fall down on your head or better on the street where a car can run you down? The choice is yours...

132. Courier. Bicycle couriers (or messenger couriers) are the people to whom I feel the most empathy because I have worked a bit in this job as well (not in winter though). This job is hard not only because of harsh physical conditions (they're working in any kinds of weather circumstances, be it 25 degrees below zero, a thunderstorm or ice-crusted ground), but also of psychological - you have to tolerate the stressful atmosphere by ultra-nervous dispatchers, deliver the parcels in time (and sometimes with 3 parcels in your bag at a time), beware of Riga's crazy traffic etc. And if you think these people are earning good money, you are far from truth - especially in this economic crysis time, when even the best couriers earns only about 200-300 lats (400-600 dollars) per month. There are some 5-6 bicycle courier companies in Riga, some of them offers also scooter couriers service which is more appropriate for farther distances throughout the city although they're being done by bicyclists as well (as Riga has rather low density and extensive built-up, it is very expanded in space: 30 km in north-south and 20 km in west-east direction).
The cycle courier in the picture gets especial attention because she is a girl. I think, in one day of January, when the temperature was below minus 20 degrees, it was this girl who was catched on the street and interviewed by Latvian Television news with the question: "How can you work in this temperature??" Notice the advertisement in the right upper corner of the picture - it promote vacations in warm countries. It looks almost like mocking in this context.

133. Spring on Tērbatas street. A bit of spring for a change...

134. Ice fishing in industrial environment. Ice fishermans in Riga are in many places - as you see here, even on Sarkandaugava river besides heavily industrialized areas, and even in -15 or lower temperatures. Btw, last summer there was an emergency situation because of possible chemical catastrophe (due to dangerous chemical reactions in one container) not far from the place.

135. Preparation to Valentine's Day. In 20 years of independence, Latvians have adopted Western culture traditions very responsively. St. Valentine's Day has became especially popular here. Here you see the instalation of Valentine Day's symbolic on the top of "Laima" clock. "Laima" clock is very appropriate place for that, because it's famous as a romantic (and other kinds of) meetings place for Rigans.

136. Peeing on the street. As in every large city, you can see very different people - also shameless drunkards between them. This guy took a piss right on the Kalpaka boulevard - one of Riga centre largest streets. The building is, by the way, The Constitutional Court of Latvia. Riga centre has chronical deficit of public toilets and the city's governers has promised to solve the problem before the tourism season starts, but, I guess, for such types it won't help anyway. Why go to toilet when there is a street?

137. Live music in shopping centre. I was suprised by these 2 musicians who gave performance in the department store "Centrs", on the side of roof-covered Rīdzenes street. Interestingly, the audience was just a few teenagers, although the music was rather in "adult contemporary" genre - slow ballads of Valentine's Day related themes. The young singer has fine voice and together they sounded very professional.

138. Ķīpsala exhibition hall. Ķīpsala exhibition hall is the main venue for exhibitions in Riga and all kinds of exhibitions is organized there - pet, food, real estate, technics, tourism... This pic is from car exhitibion in April 2008.

139. Powerlifting.
The snow cover in Riga reached over 50 cm this winter. The big oak-trees in city centre parks don't have a problem to cope with it, while smaller trees sometimes loose their branches below the heaviness of snow.