daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #21
Brum Knows Best

Likes (Received): 139

Grate job Jonesy55, made the second city look good
Brum Knows Best no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #22
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244821

Really great photos, thanks for sharing
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #23
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20331

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastadl View Post
great photos. When I went on the usual dopey Aust backpack around Europe, I was intrigued over Birmingham. Was on a national express bus heading for Hollyhead and halfway through the bus started going through what looked like the most rundown communist concrete city - Birmingham. We were mortified at this concrete jungle of freeways and awful 1960s buildings and 'commi' blocks and absolutely nothing looked nice anywhere.
That's not an unrealistic impression to be fair, Birmingham is an industrial city and you can walk just a few minutes from the city centre shops and apartments to find yourself in a sea of run down and depressing warehouses and ex-factories. Digbeth where the long distance buses arrive is typical of that, it isn't the best introduction to the city.

The inner city residential areas surrounding the centre have high levels of poverty, crime and unemployment too. That's pretty much the case with most British cities though, a smart and regenerated centre, surrounded by poor districts, which are in turn surrounded by more prosperous suburbs.

I'm glad you all liked the photos, I plan to do some more of the residential areas around the centre soon, i'll post them in this thread.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #24
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 6007

I am loving this thread. Nice pics! Love the riverfront and shopping district.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #25
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Looks very nice and lively. Hope one day the brutalist library will go away.
It is going away, a new library is being built a couple of hundred metres away.

[IMG]http://*************************/birmingham/jpgs/birmingham_central_library_bq030409_chd_1.jpg[/IMG]
Old November 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #26
StigJ

Likes (Received): 1

The old library is awful, but I have to say that the new one is not much better...

Lovely pics by the way.
StigJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #27
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Yeah, I'm not 100% convinced by it either.

However I do like the plans for the redevelopment of the main train station, Birmingham New Street.

Work has just started to change this:

into this.

[IMG]http://*************************/birmingham/jpgs/birmingham_new_street_station_260908_2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://*************************/birmingham/jpgs/birmingham_new_street_station_260908_3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://*************************/birmingham/jpgs/birmingham_new_street_station_260908_1.jpg[/IMG]
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #28
jlshyang

Likes (Received): 13

Thanks for posting, Jonesy55

I used to go there so often, brings back a lot of pleasant memories
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #29
sky-eye
Zitterd veur ummer

Likes (Received): 733

Thanks for the various pictures. Birmingham looks quite nice.
sky-eye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #30
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Glad you both enjoyed the photos, I took my camera on thursday but it was raining so I didn't go out at lunchtime to take any more photos, maybe next week.
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #31
fourbytwo

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for the great work Jonesy. We do have a world class city here, even though we don't appreciate it sometimes.
fourbytwo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #32
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5979

Great photos, very honest pictures as well showing most sides of Birmingham. i wouldnt call it a pretty city, but its definately a very interesting one containing all sorts of urban form.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #33
emzeti
::emzeti from MALAYSIA::

Likes (Received): 4

nice car ..nice buildings there
emzeti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #34
Snowy

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopchina View Post
Even though it's England's second city I've never actually seen any Birmingham threads. This was an eye-opener. Thanks for the tour.
Birmingham is such a huge city, it is England's second city after all, but despite this it somehow seems an invisible city. Few people outside of the UK have heard of it and outside of Birmingham, people within the UK don't really know what it looks like, except that it's supposed to be a 1960s concrete mess, which is unfair and incorrect.

The problem with Birmingham is that it's not an iconic city, unlike London, Manchester and Liverpool and it doesn't really have any iconic buildings (except for maybe the new Selfridges one) or famous vistas. It doesn't have a particularly cool image or strong sense of identity either - with London you have red double-deckers, black taxi cabs, the Royal Family, the Rolling Stones and the 70s punk scene, with Manchester you have the famous caustic sense of humour, Manchester United, Joy Division and the Stone Roses and with Liverpool, you have the "Scouse" sense of identity, the iconic waterfront and a certain four-piece band who conquered the world. Birmingham's sense of identity is less obvious, it's never really had a world-famous music scene and it's football teams are the relatively unfashionable Aston Villa and Birmingham City. It's industrial past is celebrated in the UK, but somehow Manchester's industrial past has always seemed more glamourous, with it's famous "Cottonopolis" identity. Perhaps this is partly to do with there being so many attractive 19th century warehouse buildings in the city centre, which you don't really see in Birmingham.

Despite all of this, these pictures have shown that parts of Birmingham are actually very nice, that it has some attractive old buildings and many of the old 1960s eyesores are being replaced with better modern buildings, some so-so, others fairly good. With the promising new station replacing the old 60s horror, things are getting better and better for Birmingham. It might never be as iconic of England's other large cities, but it can be rightly proud of itself.
Snowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #35
Snowy

Likes (Received): 9

By the way, great pictures Jonesy!
Snowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #36
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

thanks for the tour. Brum gets an undeserved bad rep.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #37
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Birmingham's sense of identity is less obvious, it's never really had a world-famous music scene.
True but some famous bands have come from Birmingham, Ozzy Ozbourne was signing books in the WHSmith shop underneath my office a couple of weeks ago. I can also think of Duran Duran, some of Led Zep, er ELO, ok I'm struggling, help me out here.
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #38
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

The probably with Brum is not that it hasn't got anything to shout about. Its problem is they dont know how to shout about it. They are regarded as the funniest most humourous people in the country yet despite trying to get rid of the bad rap it gets, it seems sources outside the city will do anything to prevent them.

I'll list just a few things ... More people eat and buy cadburys chocolate every day then listen to Beatles songs.

*Cadburys is currently the worlds largest confectionary distributor and the most famous Chocolate brand in the world.

*Look at your computer and change your font to Baskerville ... Its Brummy

*Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Duran Duran, Dexy Midnight Runners, Electric Light Orchestra, Moody Blues, UB40, The Move, The Charlatans, The Streets, The Twang, The Editors, Jamelia (Ok ... that one was just for the sake of it )

*Birds Custard

*Typhoo Tea

*Brylcream

*HP Sauce

*Jaguar

*Range/Land Rover

*The Mini

*Aston Martins

*Neville Chamberlain

*Cat Deeley

*Lord of the Rings ...

Im not going to even start about Birminghams industrial past because I can gurantee without us, this world would be shit ...

Oh and the Lunar Society ...

Read up on it ... Benjamin Franklin was a member
Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #39
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244821

Thanks for those updated photos of Birmingham
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #40
frozen

Likes (Received):

I love yor pics! Great city. There's just one I don't like of Birmingham: their accent