daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #1
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5997

Milwaukee: America's Most Wonderful City as seen from the amazing Lakefront

Some biking paths that run along the lakefront and have ramps to the neighborhoods of the dense Eastside.

I see you!

El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #2
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

For first thing I think of when someone says Milwaukee is this:

followed by this:

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #3
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

I've never been to Milwaukee, but I want to some day soon. Judging from all the pictures here on SCC, it looks like an amazing town!!! Is it true it was once called "the German Athens"? I read that on line somewheref
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #4
El Mariachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
For first thing I think of when someone says Milwaukee is this:

followed by this:

yeah, that's what everybody thinks.

Perhaps sometime later, I can take photos of our statue built in honor of the Fonz. And no, I am not joking about this at all.
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #5
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadoh25 View Post
I've never been to Milwaukee, but I want to some day soon. Judging from all the pictures here on SCC, it looks like an amazing town!!! Is it true it was once called "the German Athens"? I read that on line somewheref
Most of the US mid-west is heavily German, so it wouldn't surprise me. I want to visit too.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #6
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

bravo, great tour. I need to give more of the hoods a look away from downtown next time I go up.

Last edited by nomarandlee; November 6th, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #7
El Mariachi

Quote:
Its a pretty decent joint.

Yeah, Milwaukee was called the Deutsche Athens back in the day. At one point German was the most spoken language in the city and they had alot of influence on culture/politics/etc. Beer gardens, shooting contests, turnverein gymnastics/cultural centers, breweries, schafkopf/sheepshead card games (still widely played in Wisconsin), and things of that nature. Milwaukee still is the most German major city in America I believe (per capita) and alot of people are proud of their heritage.
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #8
El Mariachi

Quote:
Most of the US mid-west is heavily German, so it wouldn't surprise me. I want to visit too.
perhaps when the Jays' pay a visit again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
bravo, great tour. I need to give more of the hoods away from downtown a closer look the next I go up.
thanks alot, glad you enjoyed the tour! A bit more to come.
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #9
Chadoh25

Quote:
Yeah, the same is true here in Ohio as well, Both Cincinnati and Columbus have large German and Austrian populations. As a matter of fact, I believe we (German-Americans) make up roughly 20% of the cities population!
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #10
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mariachi View Post
Its a pretty decent joint.

Yeah, Milwaukee was called the Deutsche Athens back in the day. At one point German was the most spoken language in the city and they had alot of influence on culture/politics/etc. Beer gardens, shooting contests, turnverein gymnastics/cultural centers, breweries, schafkopf/sheepshead card games (still widely played in Wisconsin), and things of that nature. Milwaukee still is the most German major city in America I believe (per capita) and alot of people are proud of their heritage.
Do they still have a German social club there? We have Germania here, which I've been a member of since 2008. I think this summerm assuming I'm still in the courty, I might go visit Die Deutsche Stadt!!!
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #11
El Mariachi

Quote:
Do they still have a German social club there? We have Germania here, which I've been a member of since 2008. I think this summerm assuming I'm still in the courty, I might go visit Die Deutsche Stadt!!!
there are a few organizations/schools and things of that nature,

here is a list of a bunch of clubs and groups in the region,
http://www.germanfest.com/festinfo/organizations.html

the most prominent in Milwaukee is the Milwaukee Turners. They have weekly discussions on social/political issues, a gymanstics program, fencing club, fitness programs, a resturant/bar, and host musical acts (pretty decent ones).
http://milwaukeeturners.org/

musical act calendar
http://www.pabsttheater.org/calendar-turner.html

others,

http://www.bavariansoccerclub.com/main.php

http://www.goethehousewis.com/

http://www2.milwaukee.k12.wi.us/german_imm/
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #12
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mariachi View Post
perhaps when the Jays' pay a visit again?
Good idea. Do the Packers play any games in Milwaukee or are they all in Green Bay? I suppose tickets to that can't be had any way. Is Racine or Kenosha considered part of Milwaukee?

Quote:
Yeah, the same is true here in Ohio as well, Both Cincinnati and Columbus have large German and Austrian populations. As a matter of fact, I believe we (German-Americans) make up roughly 20% of the cities population!
The German-American population rivals that of ethnic Germans in Germany: 51 million (United States) vs. 75 million (Germany)

Seems like most of the Germans went to the States, while Canada got mostly the French and British. Kitchener-Waterloo and parts of southern Manitoba are the only heavily German areas north of the border. Perhaps, we can borrow some of you guys. Who doesn't like Germans?

Last edited by isaidso; November 5th, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20249

Nice shots, Is the lake too cold to swim in at this time of year?

The name Milwaukee comes from an Indian word pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which means "The good land" in Algonquin.

Alice Cooper taught me that.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #14
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244277

Very nice photos from Milwaukee city
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #15
dnobsemajdnob
Expert

Likes (Received): 54

It looks bloody depressing!
dnobsemajdnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #16
Camilo_Costa
I♥CWB

Likes (Received): 7622

Very nice, I didn't know Milwaukee had such nice spots... but it's not the most wonderful.
Camilo_Costa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #17
Chadoh25

Quote:
Good idea. Do the Packers play any games in Milwaukee or are they all in Green Bay? I suppose tickets to that can't be had any way. Is Racine or Kenosha considered part of Milwaukee?

The German-American population rivals that of ethnic Germans in Germany: 51 million (United States) vs. 75 million (Germany)

Seems like most of the Germans went to the States, while Canada got mostly the French and British. Kitchener-Waterloo and parts of southern Manitoba are the only heavily German areas north of the border. Perhaps, we can borrow some of you guys. Who doesn't like Germans?
Well I plan on moving to Canada within a year, so you'll get atleast one extra German in the near future!
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #18
El Mariachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Nice shots, Is the lake too cold to swim in at this time of year?

The name Milwaukee comes from an Indian word pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which means "The good land" in Algonquin.

Alice Cooper taught me that.
Yeah, its way too cold to swim this time of year and the waves get very rough. Even during the summer, the water is too cold to ever get comfortable swimming in!

I love all the random Milwaukee references in movies and t.v. shows we are famous for! Few other cities in the world are famous for quotes in movies, old t.v. shows, and gay cannibal serial killers.
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #19
El Mariachi

Quote:

Nah the Pack used to play at County Stadium in Milwaukee for 2-3 games a year, but now they exclusively play at Lambeau Field since 1994. Tickets can be had, but you still have to pay more and jump through hoops to get them.

Racine is apart of Milwaukee MSA, but its more its own city then a Milwaukee suburb. Kenosha is apart of Chicago's metro area and arguably has more in common with the northern Chicago suburbs then it does with Milwaukee.

Whats the deal with the lack of Germans in Canada anyway?
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #20
El Mariachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobsemajdnob View Post
It looks bloody depressing!
I haven't managed to kill myself just yet. But in all seriousness, I would have thought you would have gotten my sarcasm in the title. The weather here sucks for most of the year, but there are alot of nice diversions (cough cough alcohol bars Bucks cough cough).

If you can manage dealing with the cold, snow, and 3 month of summer----you will find that Milwaukee is a very jolly town!

Oh, and thanks everybody for the kind words! Much appreciated.