daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains » Development News | Includes all plains states, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #1
ZachariahDaMan

Likes (Received): 5

Kalamazoo, MI

Kalamazoo has about 72,700 people. I was pleasantly surprised with Kalamazoo. I would have to say it is my 3rd favorite city in Michigan, after GR and Detroit.

ZachariahDaMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 6th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #2
araman0
Purdue U. / Marquette U.

Likes (Received): 94

Wow, looks very nice; very clean. I'll be passing through Kalamazoo for the first time this Sunday on my way to Detroit, and can't wait to check it out.

Why has metro Kalamazoo's economy done so well despite the rest of Michigan's economy? Is it the city's leadership? Business diversification? There aren't any universities or major governmental operations in Kalamazoo as far as I know.

My Flickr Page
araman0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #3
hudkina

Likes (Received): 82

The University plays a major role, though unlike Ann Arbor, the campus isn't integrated into the Downtown area.
hudkina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #4
El Mariachi
Greek Freak

Likes (Received): 1493

really nice city. Looks very walkable. Dig that mural.
El Mariachi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #5
robk1982

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by araman0 View Post
Why has metro Kalamazoo's economy done so well despite the rest of Michigan's economy? Is it the city's leadership? Business diversification? There aren't any universities or major governmental operations in Kalamazoo as far as I know.

www.wmich.edu

- 4th largest University in the state (25,000+)
- Carnegie Doctoral/Research - Extensive classification (the highest rating for research universities)
- A new College of Engineering campus was opened earlier this decade and houses a successful business incubator for hi-tech start ups
- Plans are underway to begin a medical school, and a downtown arena may be built that the University would be the major tenant at.

Go BRONCOS!!!

Last edited by robk1982; November 6th, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
robk1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #6
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 21697

A classic american town!
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #7
Lmichigan

Likes (Received): 229

Yep, without WMU, Kzoo would be Battle Creek if we're being honest. WMU is a pretty substantial research university. In some other states, WMU would be top-tier in terms of size and scope, but since Michigan has UofM, MSU, and WSU, WMU often gets grouped with EMU and CMU in people's minds.
Lmichigan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #8
robk1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmichigan View Post
Yep, without WMU, Kzoo would be Battle Creek if we're being honest. WMU is a pretty substantial research university. In some other states, WMU would be top-tier in terms of size and scope, but since Michigan has UofM, MSU, and WSU, WMU often gets grouped with EMU and CMU in people's minds.

Unfortunately, some of those people include members of our glorious Detroit-based media, who often refer to Michigan's "3 research universities".

If it wasn't for the horrible tenure of ex-President Judith Bailey, WMU could easily have the third highest enrollment out of Michigan universities. It was almost at 30,000 when I was a freshman in 2000, but then had a pretty big drop when Bailey came along.
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Lmichigan

I don't think I need to tell you, but you and I both know bigger isn't always better, and a drop in enrollment may not be a bad thing. WMU is big enough.
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #10
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 1

Love the historic building stock. Thanks for sharing.
EastSider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #11
robk1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmichigan View Post
I don't think I need to tell you, but you and I both know bigger isn't always better, and a drop in enrollment may not be a bad thing. WMU is big enough.
I would agree with that. My point, and I probably wasn't clear, was that WMU had some good momentum going in a lot of areas (enrollment being one of them) before Judith Bailey was hired as President. Nearly all of that momentum was destroyed, and I felt that the university at best, stopped dead in its tracks for a few years, and at worst, lost a step or two in regards to its performance and reputation. Schools like Wayne State, Oakland, GVSU, and CMU have had obvious gains in the last decade (not just in enrollment), while Western has not. Fortunately things have begun to change.
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #12
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 716

Nice looking town!!!!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #13
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 25

Was that a canal i saw running thru the city?

The fifth third building looks like one of our skyscrapers in toledo minus the very top of ours.....

Good luck in Hockey K-Zoo looks like you guys have a good team but the Walleye are up 2-0 on ya for the season so far!
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #14
Lmichigan

Mudhen,

Kalamazoo sits on the Kalamazoo River, but what you're probably seeing is the Arcadia Creek which flows through parts of downtown. Like a lot of other small streams through urban areas, it was put underground for decades, but channeled and opened back up to open-air.

Old November 11th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #15
Jaybird
Ontario Moderator

Likes (Received): 384

What a great-looking city!!! Charming and historic!!! Another MI city definitely worth visiting...
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:38 PM   #16
bneidlinger

Nice to see the old home town on here.
bneidlinger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:22 AM   #17
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 7

Ahh, Battle Creek's bigger, somewhat more progressive and sophisticated brother...

Growing up, Kalamazoo always seemed like the "big city" nearby, where all the action was.

It continues to do well--K-Zoo is more of the white collar, service-oriented counterpart to Battle Creek's blue collar nature.
It is humanly impossible to walk through Chicago's core and not consider it one of the world's great cities unless you are inwardly angry at the place for somehow threatening or robbing your hometown of its vitality or integrity.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:25 AM   #18
MastaMarek
BANNED

nice pics mate!! I used to live in Mattawan. lol.
MastaMarek no está en línea   Reply With Quote