daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM   #61
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemob View Post
Sorry for all the lovers of this tower, but I don't like it, in New York alleyway's. When I look at the development's in New York, I see more and more Dubai like structures. I think the architectural strength of New York lies in new developments like 15 Central Park West.
Sorry, but you sound like Prince Charles...only wanting traditional style buildings in his city. Not a very sound idea i'm afraid as NY is not a museum of early 20th century style buildings. To focus only on such styles would be a disaster for NY as a global city to restrict itself to the past. NY is an evolving city and must grow to incorporate new styles of architecture as it has always done so, even if they may clash with the older stuff. Also, none of these proposals is in any way similar or related to those of Dubai, and inserting such buildings into the urban fabric of NY (which is the complete opposite of Dubai) makes it even less so. The urban tapestry of NY evolves with the addition of the latest trends and architecture. The stunt that would mean stunting the city of NY as a constantly renewing city.
NY is not Paris or Rome - it is not some prestine collection of preserved buildings and it ceased being so many years ago. NY has long ago chosen its destiny as a fluid system for better or for worse. Modern architectural styles have always been welcome in NY and the clash of old and modern is what makes NYC what it is today.

Last edited by aquablue; May 23rd, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:11 PM   #62
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

London -- which is 1,600 years older than NY -- embraces modern architecture. So why not NY?
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #63
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

better late then never for london part. NYC been modern since the 1930's so much so that its classic. Its not like we just stop building buildings
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #64
aquablue
BANNED

Most people love classically designed buildings, but you have to move on and combine them with the best of the now also. Otherwise you risk becoming a city that can't move foward.
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #65
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
London -- which is 1,600 years older than NY -- embraces modern architecture. So why not NY?
My first reaction was London isn't 1600 years older that NY! Is it?
(looks up wikipedia)
London established AD 43, New York settled 1624.
wow, london IS old!

this tower is nice. It is a stylised cubish sort of building, which most buildings in NY seem to be, and I don't have anything wrong with cube shaped buildings as long as they aren't boring.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #66
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
London embraces fashion. And currently Modern is all the rage. ( On an editorial note, considering some of the stuff going up in London, it may well go down as one of the world's great architectural fashion victims.)
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #67
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

New York is putting up too many ugly modern towers its crazy. I'm personally not a huge fan of these new modern all glass towers excepts for the occasional exception (1WTC, Trump, Legacy) but crap like this is nothing but a huge eyesore IMO... I prefer NYC not mess up their beautiful city with crap like this...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #68
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
New York is putting up too many ugly modern towers its crazy. I'm personally not a huge fan of these new modern all glass towers excepts for the occasional exception (1WTC, Trump, Legacy) but crap like this is nothing but a huge eyesore IMO... I prefer NYC not mess up their beautiful city with crap like this...
there are far worse towers going up or already completed in this city that i could think of. actually this tower is very elegant and it's also far beyond being a "normal" box.
Old June 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #69
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
Eyesore? Do you see what its replacing and the area it is in? Not every new building can be retro. It is a most definite improvment.
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #70
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Eyesore? Do you see what its replacing and the area it is in? Not every new building can be retro. It is a most definite improvment.
yeah, this is exactly what the NIMBYs want (actually they don't want any progress, the city should stay as it is...). a bit retro like 99 church street is good but for god's sake NY needs to move forward, and new towers like tower verre, 56 leoanard and beekman are the future!
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #71
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

This building will probably be a classic historical example of early 21th century architecture in 2109... Moving foreward is the way to go, cities showing a certain timeling in architectural movement will always be the most interresting...
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #72
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb.nl View Post
This building will probably be a classic historical example of early 21th century architecture in 2109... Moving foreward is the way to go, cities showing a certain timeling in architectural movement will always be the most interresting...
It will prob get replaced with the norm 2000ft towers by then
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #73
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

update by Derek2k3, WNY:

foundation work going on (phase I):

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

site of phase II:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 8th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #74
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Ppl need to stop sucking up to this building it sucks pretty good by itself.
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #75
weston80
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

i don't like this tower design ,it looks very cheap and,pretty ordinary style...
weston80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:26 AM   #76
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

http://afinecompany.blogspot.com/201...ds-at-250.html

Quote:
It seems like just yesterday that a ground-breaking was being held for the enormous project at 250 East 57th Street. The project is a public/private partnership (with World-Wide Group) which will eventually total a mind blowing 1,000,000 square feet. Phase 1, which will house 2100 students in two brand news schools and a much awaited Whole Foods Market, is well underway. In just a few short months the massive foundation spanning the block between 57th and 56th Streets and hundred of feet wide is nearly finished. Eventually, when complete (estimated 2012), the adjoining high school will be demolished to make way for a 59 story tower that will house 350 residential units as well as an abundance of additional retail/commercial space.
250 East 57th Street (World-Wide Group)

Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:07 PM   #77
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

I think its time to move this thread to U/C.

Much thanks for the updates!
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:51 PM   #78
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Great progress. I look forward to the first phase's completion so that the dilapidated secondary school can come down and the tower can rise in its place.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:27 PM   #79
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post
I think its time to move this thread to U/C.

Much thanks for the updates!
not yet, this is just the phase I which is U/C. but it seems they are moving quite quickly, so it won't be long till phase II can start.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:31 PM   #80
RobertWalpole
BANNED

It's clearly under construction. Phase I (the primary and secondary schools) must be completed so that existing secondary school can be razed. The tower (Phase 2) will rise on the site of the existing secondary school. In Phase 1, there's hardly any revenue for the developer. In this regard, there's a limited amount of retail (a food market), most of which will be under street level. The developer will earn revenue from the tower, and there is a very strong demand for high-end rentals in NY.

Tags
250 e.57th st., manhattan, midtown, new york