daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM   #41
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Westerville, Ohio. November 11th, 2009. II

Last edited by Chadoh25; September 10th, 2010 at 03:42 AM.
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #42
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4270

Nice pictures. I like how you bolded the information on the cities. It makes it easy to see when you start with a new place when you're scrolling down.

Interesting dry history about Westerville. There aren't too many places in the U.S. that are dry. I think my cousins from Kentucky are from a dry county, but I'm not sure.

What is it with Ohio and Delaware place names? You guys have a Delaware, a Newark, a Wilmington, a Dover, a Georgetown, a Bethel, a Rehoboth (not a Rehoboth Beach, though), a Middletown, a Townsend, and probably some more places. I doubt that many, if any, are named after the actual Delaware places, but it is kind of interesting.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #43
Chadoh25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. I like how you bolded the information on the cities. It makes it easy to see when you start with a new place when you're scrolling down.

Interesting dry history about Westerville. There aren't too many places in the U.S. that are dry. I think my cousins from Kentucky are from a dry county, but I'm not sure.

What is it with Ohio and Delaware place names? You guys have a Delaware, a Newark, a Wilmington, a Dover, a Georgetown, a Bethel, a Rehoboth (not a Rehoboth Beach, though), a Middletown, a Townsend, and probably some more places. I doubt that many, if any, are named after the actual Delaware places, but it is kind of interesting.
Alot of the early settlers were New Englanders (Granville was settled by folks from mass and the Cleveland area was settled by folks from Connectiut, hence the references to the Western Reserve) and some were from the mid-atlantic states. But we have more German and Eastern European areas in our state than anything else, especially the cities. Once they got settled, the Germans (like my family) spread out more, hence the reason we have Dresden, Berlin, Brunswick, Steubenville, New Bremen, and Hamburg.
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #44
Chadoh25

Toledo, Ohio. Part one

I didn't get as many photos as I would have liked because it was so ungodly cold that day. These photos are from Monday, Jan 4th, 2010

Old January 8th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #45
Chadoh25

Toledo, Ohio. Part Two

Down by the River

Last edited by Chadoh25; January 11th, 2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #46
Chadoh25

Carey, Ohio

The Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation is a place of great peace where pilgrims can pray and pay homage to the Blessed Mother.

Across the street from the Basilica stands the original Shrine Church. Construction on this, the first church in Carey, began in 1868 under the direction of Father Edward Vatmann, pastor of St. Michael’s in Findlay, Ohio

Once the church building was completed enough for its dedication, it was given the name of St. Edward. Care of the little church was given to Father Joseph Peter Gloden, pastor of the church of St. Nicholas, Frenchtown.

Father Joseph encouraged the faithful in Carey to complete the construction and asked them to direct their prayers to Mary, the Mother of God, under the title of Our Lady of Consolation, the patroness of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

Father Joseph and the congregation promised to re-name the church in honor of Our Lady of Consolation upon its completion. As a means to support their devotion, Father Joseph procured a replica of the statue of Our Lady of Consolation which has always been revered in the Cathedral of Luxembourg.

On May 24, 1875, the statue of Our Lady of Consolation was carried in procession from the church of St. Nicholas to the church in Carey. It was during this procession that the first sign of the special intercession of the Blessed Virgin for all who were to pray in this little church was revealed. As the procession marched, a severe storm raged in the entire area. Though the faithful could see the rain pouring down on all sides of them for the entire seven-mile walk, not a drop touched the statue of Our Lady of Consolation nor anyone in the procession.

This memorable church, the place of so many favors granted through Mary, remains today not only as a relic of the past, but as a place of prayer and worship. Members of Our Lady of Consolation parish gather there for early morning Mass, and many groups celebrate the goodness of God with special programs and devotions within its walls.

http://www.olcshrine.com/

A Public School, not part of the shrine complex

Inside the Shrine

Last edited by Chadoh25; September 10th, 2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #47
Chadoh25

Carey, Ohio

The village of Carey was founded in 1843 when William M. Buell and R. M. Shuler laid out the town on land that they owned. The town was named after Judge John Carey. Carey is predominantly Roman Catholic. The Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation can be found here.

Downtown

Last edited by Chadoh25; September 10th, 2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #48
MarkHerz
Go Toronto!

Likes (Received): 7

cool photos! looks really cold, but my favorite set are from the fall ones, very charming!

- TORONTO (still) THE GOOD - - SOMEWHERE OUT THERE! -
MarkHerz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #49
Johnny Blade
█ �� █

Likes (Received): 96

That is a classy and very lovely library.
Looks like you also have more snow then we do, well at least where I live anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadoh25 View Post
Johnny Blade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #50
groentje
New Brusseleir

Likes (Received): 3

Nice, small town America. Too bad that some Main Street buildings are abandoned (and neglected), there ground flour excepted. Not in all towns, though.
groentje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 02:59 AM   #51
Chadoh25

Delaware, Ohio. Feb 2, 2010

I was in Delaware this summer, but unfortunately I didn't get a good picture of the courthouse because of all the trees. So, I figured now was a good a time as any to finx that.

Walking up and down Sandusky Street.

Delaware County Courthouse

Library

Seventh Day Adventist Church, originally English Lutheran Church.

Walking down East Winter Street

Andrew's House

St. Peters Episcopal Church

First Presbyterian Church.

Last edited by Chadoh25; September 10th, 2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old February 4th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #52
aster4000

Likes (Received): 11

great collection of photos.
I like the feel of the small cities with old, nicely designed buildings.
aster4000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #53
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1327

This thread speaks for what a great deal of the old northwest looks like.

Wonderful thread.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #54
Chadoh25

Thanks ya'll!
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #55
Chadoh25

Circleville, Ohio. March 17th 2010. Part One

Noted frontier explorer Christopher Gist was the first recorded European visitor to the Circleville area. Gist reached "Maguck," a small Delaware town of about 10 families on the east bank of the Scioto River and the south side of Circleville, on January 20, 1751, and remained in the town until January 24

Circleville was founded in 1810. It derived its name from the circular portion of a large Hopewell culture earthwork upon which it was built. The original town plan integrated Circleville into the preexisting land with a street layout of concentric circles. An octagonal courthouse stood directly in the center.

Dissatisfaction rose with Circleville's layout, however, and in 1837, the Ohio General Assembly authorized the "Circleville Squaring Company" to convert it into a conventional grid. By 1856, this had been completed in several phases. No remaining traces of the original earthworks remain, though a few old buildings retain curved walls that were part of the original circular layout.

On October 13, 1999, an F-3 tornado hit the city. A squall line moving through the region spawned several tornadoes in the county, including the F-3 that hit town. The tornado touched down on the north side of town doing substantial damage to a barber shop and a masonry building. A furniture store was also damaged with a hole in its roof where it was reported that items from inside the store were sucked out. Damaged to nearby buildings also occurred as the tornado moved east across the north-central part of town.

The tornado then moved into a residential area in the Northwood Park neighborhood where several homes along Fairlawn Drive were destroyed. Heavy damage to trees and vehicles also occurred in this area. The tornado would lift as it crossed Edgewood Drive, but snapped the tops of some nearby trees as it lifted and moved on.

The movie theatre on Pinckney Street

Intersection of Pinckney and North Court Street

Looking towards the intersection of Court and Main Street

Looking North on Court Street

Intersection of Court and Main Street

Last edited by Chadoh25; September 11th, 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #56
Chadoh25

Circleville, Ohio. March 17th 2010. Part Two

Looking west on Main Street

Walking South on Court Street.

Post Office on South Court Street

St. Peters Episcopal Church on West Mound Street

St. Josephs Roman Catholic Church on West Mound Street

Looking east on Mound toward the Presbyterian Church

Intersection of Mound and south Court Street.

Looking east on Main Street

Looking west again on Main Street, but this time without the damn truck being in the way!

Chase Bank on the corner of Main and Court Street. The First National Bank sttod here before Chase was built. And before that the old County Courthouse.

Looking north on south Court Street. On the left is the county courthouse.

Last edited by Chadoh25; September 11th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #57
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 33950

great collection of photos.
I always like those old nice architecture and they are lots in every city and town.
once again thank you Chad for your tireless uploading of them.
capricorn2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #58
Chadoh25

Thanks Capricorn2000! I'm glad you liked them! How are things in beautiful BC?

Circleville, Ohio. March 17th 2010. Part Three

Presbyterian Church on East Mound Street

Looking East on Mound Street

Lutheran Church on East Mound Street

Back on South Court Street.

Pickaway County Courthouse and City Hall on the far right.

Intersection of South Court and Franklin Street

I took my drivers ed classes on the second floor of this building on south Court Street

Looking down West Main Street.

Last edited by Chadoh25; April 13th, 2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:53 AM   #59
Chadoh25

Circleville, Ohio. March 17th 2010. Part Four

Walking up east Main Street

Memorial Hall and former Library (It's now in the old Ames Store on North Court Street)

Community United Methodist Church on the corner of east Main and Pickaway Street

Court and Main Street

west Main Street

The Smith Block has stood on the corner of West Main and Scioto Street for over 100 years. Now the slum lords who own it want to tear it down because they've let the building go fo so long that the rear of the building has suffered a roof collapse. It's fixable and the building could be reoccupied. But the sum lords seem to think a empty lot would be more desirable! All of this after the lose of the American Hotel and Critts buildings on Court Street. Shame on Circleville for allowing this needless destruction of our community! Ok I'm done! lol

The End!

Last edited by Chadoh25; April 13th, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #60
Chadoh25

Marysville. April 10th, 2010.

Marysville is a city in and the county seat of Union County, Ohio, United States. The population was 15,942 at the 2000 census, and the Census Bureau estimated that it had risen to 17,621 by 2006.

Marysville's longtime slogan is "Where the Grass is Greener".

Origins

Marysville was originally part of Northwest Territory, and then became part of the Virginia Military District within that territory, and eventually became part of the state of Ohio. One of the original surveyors of the area was James Galloway, Jr., who first visited in 1805. Marysville was founded in 1816 by Samuel W. Cuthbertson, who named the town after his daughter Mary, along the small waterway of Mill Creek.

After the organization of the county by the Ohio Legislature, Marysville was designated as the seat of Union County. The first recorded meeting of the commissioners was in 1820. Between 1835 and 1840, a courthouse was constructed. Eventually a new courthouse would be built in Marysville, dedicated on January 27, 1883. This is the present courthouse today.

In 1849, a county infirmary was authorized. The first county jail was a log structure that sat on the southside of East Center street, in the rear of the courthouse. Eventually a new jail was authorized by the commissioners and built in the 1870s. In 1878 the county purchased a 10-ton safe for the treasury, that eventually was moved into courthouse.

The first county fair was held in 1847 in Marysville, in the public square. In 1852, the Agriculture Society moved the fair to the current location, on the northside of town. The Bible Society was organized in 1830. On December 4, 1875, a group met at the courthouse in Marysville to organize the Union County Pioneer society.

In 1866, the Union County Teachers' Institute was organized in Marysville, with Franklin Wood serving at the first President. In 1882, the Normal School was organized by J.S. Wharton, which specialized in instructing future teachers.

Early Development

Marysville was originally laid out in 1820. The first permanent settlement was made by Abraham Amrine, of Swiss descent, in 1817, two miles north of the city. Today the main road leading to the high school is named Amrine-Mill Rd.

In 1824, the first post office was established. At this time, there were only four families in the village. In 1828, a log cabin on the east side of town was the first school. By 1839, there were three schools. In 1843, the first high school was opened by Caroline Humphrey, and by 1850 there was a Board of Education making annual reports to the voters.

In 1837, the Ohio Gazetteer published that Marysville was a small post town with a court house and a jail, forty-five dwelling houses, one tavern, three stores, one practicing physician, two attorneys and about 250 inhabitants. By 1846, Marysville had 360 inhabitants, three small dry goods stores, two churches-Presbyterian and Methodist, a private school, and a newspaper office.

Early Marysville businesses during this period included McClouds Drug Store on the south side of the square, the Cheap Cash Store, the American Hotel, the W.W. Woods store, and Hare and Hughes, a hat business located on the southwest corner of the square. Several locals ran personal unnamed businesses. The village was incorporated in 1840, with Otway Curry elected as the first mayor.

Ladders were first purchased for a fire department in 1845, and by 1865 the village had purchased the first fire engine. The commissioners petitioned for a fire house, but it would not be built until 1906, being a two level brick building.

A census in 1859 showed that the village had 981 residents. By 1865, Marysville had six dry goods stores, one hardware store, nine or ten groceries, a mill, a woolen factory, and most of the trades and professions. It was growing steadily by this point.

In 1877, the town council decided to build a city hall on the southeast corner of Main and South. It would be completed in 1878, and house the council rooms, public library, fire department rooms, and city prison. An opera house would be constructed as well. In 1877, a fine building was erected on the eastside of town for education. It had 10 rooms for educational purposes, other rooms for various purposes, and an exhibition hall on the upper floor. The Agassiz Scientific, Archaeological and Historical Society of Marysville was organized in 1879, and placed in the East school building. Their museum was also placed in East.

By 1890, Marysville had a population of 2,832 residents, and by 1888 had earned itself the title “the Shaded City” because of its tree-lined streets.

You can read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marysville,_Ohio

Starting off at East Fifth Street

Intersection of Fifth and Main Streets

Buildings on South Main Street

Union County Courthouse, West Fifth Street. On the left hand corner is the First Congregational Church.

West Fifth Street. On the left is the First Presbyterian Church of Marysville.

First Presbyterian Church of Marysville

Intersection of Court and Fifth Streets.

County Courthose from South Court Street.

First United Methodist Church, West Sixth Street.

First Congregational Church, East Sixth Street.

First United Methodist

City Hall

Sixth and Main Street.

Trinity Lutheran Church on Walnut Street.

Last edited by Chadoh25; April 13th, 2010 at 07:47 AM.