daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which Style????
Low Rise European like Rome, Edinburgh, Stockholm, Geneva and Zurich 21 77.78%
Modern like Dubai and Doha 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 8th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Dan9514

Likes (Received): 0

Which Do You Like Best????

Which skyline and form of architecture do you prefer?

A- low rise European like Stockholm, Edinburgh, Rome, Geneva and Zurich

OR

B- Modern like Dubai, Doha and Abu Dhabi??

REMEMBER-Judge on the style of architecture not For Example- Dubai, because it has the a massive mall.

Also Give A Reason With Your Answer

Dan9514 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #2
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 223

That's a tricky one. Both styles have their merits. It's hard to beat those lovely classical buildings from older cities, on the other hand modern skylines in the middle east if done tastefully and thoughtfully can be stunning. Being a skyscraper enthusiast I'll have to say modern (again, if tasteful). That takes nothing away from the classics however.
spotila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Dan9514

Examples

Stockholm

Edinburgh

Zurich

OR

Dubai

Doha

Old November 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Ramses

Likes (Received): 21

Lowrises are the best. Skyscrapers are only fun to watch at from a distance. I wouldn't want to have one in my own backyard.
Ramses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #5
city3456789

Likes (Received): 3

Why can't you have both?? British and North American cities do a particually good job of mixing historic and modern archecture?
city3456789 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #6
Elvenking

Likes (Received): 2565

This thread is senseless. It's like asking what colour is better...
"A pan myślisz, że chaotyczne kombinacje efemerycznych pryncypiów są w stanie zdeterminować neutralną cywitatywę absolutnego relatywizmu immanentno-transcendentalnej solipsystycznej jaźni? Tak czy nie?! Gadaj pan!!!"
Elvenking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Dan9514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvenking View Post
This thread is senseless. It's like asking what colour is better...
I totally disagree. And comparing this thread to "Asking what colour is better" is completely ridiculous.
Old November 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Dan9514

Quote:
Originally Posted by city3456789 View Post
Why can't you have both?? British and North American cities do a particually good job of mixing historic and modern archecture?
It would be nice to have a mixture of the both but in cities like Edinburgh and Stockholm, they would never allow a modern glass skyscraper to ruin the skyline. Take London for an example, only recently has London allowed skyscrapers, in London you were not allowed to build something taller than St Paul's cathedral.
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #9
Concrete Stereo

Likes (Received): 635

well, it's like asking which I prefer best: Paris or Disney World Paris, it's rather obvious, isn't it?

But don't you ask several questions at the same time?

First of all, Do you prefer low rise city or highrise city? Personally I prefer the 15-25m city block model over the highrise&sprawl model, I prefer New York over Los Angeles, and prefer Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, London over Dubai, Sao Paulo etc. That is since I'm not a skyline person but a citylife person, and the tower+parking+condomina+shopping model is rather poor in this aspect.

Second, you seem to suggest the question Do you prefer historic context over modern context? Obviously I prefer the mix - neither Bruges nor Almere, but layered cultural landscape. I like to see the city as a collection of stories, I like to get lost and let the city talk to me about everyone who left their mark and everyone who leaves their mark today. In this little hobby of mine a city that's brand new is poor entertainment because it can only talk about the present and the future, but also a city that it's too historic becomes poor when it's no longer allowed to talk about today and tomorrow. It's that little Centre Pompidou moments that I enjoy most. So I prefer New York over Dubai, so to say, and enjoy most cities like Manchester, Berlin, Istanbul, London, Amsterdam, Paris, etc.

And third there is the architectural question, Do you prefer Dubai Modern or European Modern? This one is difficoult to explain, even worse when it's partly the same architects doing it - though the design question is quite different. I'm affraid I can't properly explain myself on this subject. It's childish and perhaps arrogant to say it's the difference between marketing and content, the amazing and the beautiful, between entertainment and culture - though it's not entirely untrue. But in my taste the best contemporary architecture of the moment is built in Amsterdam and Paris, not in Dubai. It's rarely a tower - which is architecturally a rather poor typology of course - but more often innercity blocks or institutes, rarely the ones that get their quality from their ability to thrill - but more often the ones that impress by their amazing cleverness, sensitivity, materialism, beauty, functionality etc.

Last edited by Concrete Stereo; November 9th, 2009 at 03:11 AM.
Concrete Stereo no está en línea   Reply With Quote