daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #41
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I think that's better than giving them the same designation just because they're in the same interchange. But what about entrances? How are they numbered?
If I'm right, entrance ramps aren't numbered at all (at least in cloverleaves and big junctions), otherwise they would have to be (in that particular case) 3N (North) and 3S (South).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #42
wdw35

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Actually I don't use exit numbers at all (distance or sequential, doesn't matter).
However I'm easier at remembering "Exit 13A" than "Exit 139". I'm not good at numbers. And telephone numbers ... who does remember them in days of mobile phones and their contact lists.
Hell, you are right here. In fact, someone may say the same about exit numbers: in today's world of GPS devices, who the hell cares about exit numbers!
I even have a vision for 20 years from today: road signs showing directions will totally be gone, since every car will have a GPS device (at least in the developed world...)

As regards to current exit numbers, I just remember reading a study somewhere stating that it is easier for humans to memorize numeric (rather than alphanumeric) strings... But I guess this all varies. For me, it is easier to remember an 8-digit number than someone's face. For others, it may be the reverse!

Edit: I also don't use or care for exit numbers for motorways I am familiar with. But when driving on new ones, where I pay attention to what I have driven and what I still have to drive, I find km-based exits to be much more in synergy with both km-posts and distance signs (also expressed in kilometers...).
wdw35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #43
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Actually most countries don't use exit numbers on some or most of their motorways. Still I'd like to see them at least in large urban environments, where there is larger exit density.

Regarding disappearance of classic signs ... This is far from reality, they are here to stay, at least until automatic driving will be not only an option, but an obligation. Also I'm not using GPS device, too much money for too little use for me.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #44
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I don't think signs will disappear either. If the GPS system breaks down, nobody knows his way. Like I said before; GPS makes people stupid.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #45
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
If I'm right, entrance ramps aren't numbered at all (at least in cloverleaves and big junctions), otherwise they would have to be (in that particular case) 3N (North) and 3S (South).
we have some sort of that, too. you've probably seen those "krak 1,2,3..." things. you could also have them in SLO, i'm not sure. but i really never payed attention on that!

btw, now i will be frank. i pay attention on exit numbers also rarely. only when i'm explaining to somebody "you should take exit 17", but in HR i also know name of each exit, so i rather use it. and in H for instance exit numbers make me more comfortable and lazy because i don't follow small distance markers while i have large well visible exit numbers which say me how many km do i have to drive till Budapest
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #46
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

Why should entrance ramps have numbers. It just creates further confusion.
Old November 13th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #47
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
we have some sort of that, too. you've probably seen those "krak 1,2,3..." things. you could also have them in SLO, i'm not sure.
Yes, we have them, just they are posted only on small kilometre signs. It is not noticeable by normal driver, which is in average bad sighted to blind.
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #48
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
we have some sort of that, too. you've probably seen those "krak 1,2,3..." things. you could also have them in SLO, i'm not sure.
We have "krak (leg) A, B, C ...".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
Why should entrance ramps have numbers. It just creates further confusion.
So ambulance or the police know which ramp you're talking about, f.e.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #49
keber

Quote:
So ambulance or the police know which ramp you're talking about, f.e.
Actually not. It is just for mainteance reasons.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:16 AM   #50
treichard

Likes (Received): 0

What are your thoughts on the unusual exit numbering style of Spain's A-7 and AP-7?

Take a minute to scroll through the whole routes from Algeciras in south Spain to the French border on Google or Yahoo maps, if you're not sure what's unusual about it. The exit numbers flip-flop at many places between sequential and distance-based exit numbers while switching also from ascending to descending. Additionally, the two highways have many pieces that run parallel, merge together, split apart, dance around elves, and hijack each other's exit numbers to start a new section of highway. Well northeast of where the A-7's eastward-increasing exit numbers decide to decrease instead, there are more increasing exit numbers in the 1100s near Tarragona. There is also some mixing of exit numbers along the A-7/A-30 concurrency near Murcia.
http://cmap.m-plex.com/
treichard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:25 AM   #51
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

In Spain, Autopistas have sequential numbering, while Autovias have distance-based exit numbering.

Until like 15 years ago, the only sections of Route 7 was AP-7, which was sequential. Over the years, Autovia A-7 (a different road than AP-7!) has been built parallel and filling the gaps where AP-7 doesn't run (especially the Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol areas).

Another weird thing is that A-7 exit numbering begins at exit 105 in Algeciras. This may have to do with the fact that N-340 runs to Tarifa, and then northwest towards Cádiz where it becomes the A-48. I guess A-7 exit numbering is at least partially based on the N-340 mileposts.

Some of these systems (A-7 and AP-7) come together, for instance between Estepona and Málaga. AP-7 has distance-based exit numbering here while A-7 runs parallel and substandard along the coast. Another weird thing is between Elche and Cartagena, where the exit numbering runs from 730 to 800+ in the wrong direction. AP-7 uses it's regular exit numbering from Alicante north to Valencia, Barcelona and the French border. But this is unusual in a way that it increases southbound. A-7 increases northbound.

A-7 has four-digit exit numbers in the Tarragona area:
[IMG]http://i50.************/97po93.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:49 PM   #52
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
But, more seriously. What do you do in countries with mileage-based exit numbering, when there's a concurrency of 2 or 3 roads. Which distance will be the one that decides the exit number??
Over here, the most important road wins, which is almost always a national route (prefixed with N) with a low number.

Some examples:
  • The N1 and N2's exit numbers always win. (Of note: the N1 and N2 start in the same place in Cape Town and split one kilometre later at Exit 1.)
  • The N3 loses to the N1 and N2, and wins against everything else.
  • There is one exception in Durban - the Paradise Valley interchange is Exit 17 from the N3, and Exit 15 from the M13 (the old N3 route through Durban). I suppose this was done deliberately; otherwise, you'd have a confusing situation where the M13 would have two exits in a row numbered 17 (there's an Exit 16 on the M13, between 15 and 17, but only in the westbound direction).
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote