SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NZ | Population Statistics Thread

497K views 3K replies 176 participants last post by  jarden 
#1 ·
I think New Zealand should have a population thread, just to talk about the local trends and growth dynamics of the different cities and regions of the country. That is one of the good things about New Zealand, cities are spread all over the map, and not concentrated to one area of the country. Just an idea, we have it for Australia, just wondering about New Zealand.

#105 ·
You seriously don't want to see what has happened between Brisbane and the Gold Coast or the Sunshine coast. SEQ is a lovely part of the world, but it is, ultimately, quite unsustainable. The sprawl is quite something to behold and not something I'd like to see replicated in NZ.

Sprawl won't continue to happen if politicians wise up to the detrimental impact of sprawl. There are lots and lots of academic, peer reviewed articles addressing the detrimental factors associated with sprawl both economically and environmentally. It's essential that NZ doesn't go further down that route.

#106 ·
I think they are trying to repair some of the unsustainable aspects of urban sprawl through better designed communities, masterplanned communities with well integrated public transport hubs and town centres. The Sunshine Coast is a classic example of this. Highrise development is definitely the way to go.:)

#112 ·
Well unless something changes significantly regarding migration levels, NZ's population is not expected to exceed 5.5 million. However, I think once our population actually starts decreasing (which isn't till after 2050 I don't think) there will probably be a lot of political pressure to avoid this from happening.

Many European countries have decreasing or stagnant populations though, and they manage OK economic growth.

#113 ·
returning to a bit of common sense... i doubt we will ever get a 'huge sprawling metropolis'... Auckland and hamilton would have to under go unprecedented growth before that happens and it certainly wont be happening in Christchurch or wellington for 1000 years. Plus, by the time say Auckland would be knocking on Hamiltons door, such growth would have opened a few minds on planning in a more sustainable manner.

Having lived in SEQ and having family still there, both NZ and Aus born, i have to say its dissapointing to see the way its been developing. too rushed and out of control its all about money money

#121 ·
Having lived in SEQ and having family still there, both NZ and Aus born, i have to say its dissapointing to see the way its been developing. too rushed and out of control its all about money money
It is about the money, but along with that have come some amazing aspects to both Brisbane/Gold Coast and SEQ all together. I will honestly miss it here when I move to Melbourne, but I will be up here every other month or will at least try. It really is an amazing place to live.

#114 ·
I certainly hope that Auckland never sprawls much beyond its existing boundaries. The only places that I consider vaguely appropriate for further greenfields development are Papakura to Pukekohe and Swanson to Kumeu. However, the problem is that would take up a lot of incredibly productive rural land, that Auckland desperately needs.

Regarding a big upper North Island metropolis, this certainly won't (and shouldn't) happen by each city growing to meet others. However, towns between Auckland, Hamilton and Tauranga should definitely be encouraged to grow (in sustainable ways). A 160 kph regular train service between the three cities - servicing places like Pokeno, Te Kauwhata, Huntly (dare I say it), Ngaruwahia, Morrinsville etc. would enable people who want a more spacious lifestyle to enjoy it in those smaller towns, while the bigger cities intensity.

There would be huge economic advantages of being able to catch an hourly train service to Hamilton and/or Tauranga which took say 1 hour to get to Hamilton and another 40 min to Tauranga. You'd be getting a faster city-centre to city-centre time than you manage on the plane I would imagine.

#120 ·
The Brisbane-Gold Coast-Sunshine Coast conurbation is 180km long, about 2.3million people. Its form is clearly linear meaning it can be serviced by public transport fairly easily, rather than a London or Paris shaped blob. There is a conscious effort to consolidated and promote along the public transport routes. There are about 1.7million cars at 65% car ownership rates. As usual, a large proportion of the Gross Regional Product is expended on the 1.7million cars, less than 20% of which are for commercial purposes and have a return on income, the rest is spent on oversized cars stuck in traffic jams or screaming along motorways taking kids to school or getting a small bag of shopping. The weather is fabulous.

#122 ·
The weather is fabulous and that is the thing which really attracts people to the place. When the infrastructure finally catches up with the population growth, particularly on the Sunshine Coast it will be a far more liveable place. I do think parts of New Zealand will experience this type of growth. Places like Tauranga are growing at a similar growth rate. In time New Zealand will experience its own boom.:banana:

#125 ·
The more often I go back to New Zealand the more I am convinced that the place is amazing, I absolutely love the place. I am feeling quite optimistic about what this new government can do for New Zealand, despite not voting National. I have seen how optimistic Queensland is about its future and despite the fact Aussies are often brash and overconfident, I think some of that is needed in New Zealand. I don't mean arrogance, I do think Kiwis should be proud of their country and should be looking at building an exciting and productive future for the country. I am curious to know more about this new $7.5 billion economic stimulus package which is being offered over the next 2 years, it almost warrants a new thread. Anyone have any details on it?:):)

#126 ·
^^My trip home last week, just re-enforced how much I LOVE the place for all it goods and faults.

It is truely one of the most remarkable countries in ALL the World, and I'm so proud to be able to call myself a New Zealander :):banana:

#129 ·
In a few years time a lot of expats will start coming home. The government still need to do a bit of work yet. They still need to apply the right stimulus, whether that is lower tax rates, better infrastructure or some incentive to be part of a new exciting future. Something along those lines.:banana:

#131 ·
well it isnt tax cuts... when i get paid double for doing what id get here no amount of tax will 'stimulate' me to come back. commercial tax though, is a different story, perhaps creating the jobs and competition to drive wages and salary's up along with other smart incentives.

i just hope this national government doesnt do what it usually does and throw the baby out with the bath water...

#132 ·
Might be interested to see the latest stats from across the pond, for the year to 30 June 2008:

Latest stats from ABS today:

Total; increase; %

New South Wales
6967.2m 79.2 1.1

Victoria
5297.6 92.7 1.8

Queensland
4279.4 98.0 2.3

South Australia
1601.8 17.6 1.1

Western Australia
2163.2 57.1 2.7

Tasmania
498.2 4.8 1.0

Northern Territory
219.9 5.0 2.3

Australian Capital Territory
344.2 4.5 1.3

Australia(a)
21374.0 359.0 1.7

ESTIMATED RESIDENT POPULATION

* The preliminary estimated resident population (ERP) of Australia at 30 June 2008 was 21,374,000 persons. This was an increase of 359,000 persons (1.7%) since 30 June 2007 and 91,400 persons since 31 March 2008.
* Preliminary natural increase recorded for the year ended 30 June 2008 (145,500) was 4.3% (or 6,000 persons) higher than the natural increase recorded for the year ended 30 June 2007 (139,500).
* Preliminary net overseas migration for the year ended 30 June 2008 was 213,500 persons.

POPULATION GROWTH RATES

* Australia's population grew by 1.7% during the 12 months ended 30 June 2008. Natural increase and net overseas migration contributed 41% and 59% respectively to this total population growth.
* All states and territories experienced positive population growth over the 12 months ended 30 June 2008. Western Australia recorded the largest percentage gain (2.7%) and Tasmania the smallest (1.0%).

#138 ·
Haha, that would definitely be on the cards mate. I've always said that it's an open invite for anyone meet up with me* if people are in the area. I've already met a few members of Kiwiscrapers and each time they've turned out to be great guys.

Fair while yet though til I make it to Germany. Got a lot of hurdles to jump through first least of all getting my research to work, getting my research published, speaking at conferences and getting a dissertation written all within a year! It'll be a bumpy ride, but I look forward to it!

*Disclaimer: If I happen to feel that anyone who offers has the perchance to be an axe murderer I shall decline their invitation forthwith.

;)