SkyscraperCity Forum banner

MANCHESTER | Projects & Construction

Tags
manchester
3M views 9K replies 330 participants last post by  SteKnight 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
MediaCity
20 acres in phase 1, 200 acres total. Under construction. Approx 7 million sq ft.

Current:

Render:

Green Quarter
Large residential scheme with numerous midrises to 21 storeys. Under construction. Approx 2.5 million sq ft.

Current:

Spinningfields
Large office led scheme, multiple buildings including the iconic Denton Corker Marshall Civil Justice Centre, highest approx 200m. 3 Hardman Square (75m) currently under construction. Under construction. Approx 4.5 million sq ft.

Current:

Eastgate
Residential and hotel tower. 188m to roof. Under construction.

Current:

Rendering:

Gravity
Residential tower. 118m. Construction imminent.

Render:

Canopus
Residential and hotel towers. 165m and 111m. Construction imminent.

Render:

ManYoo
4 residential towers at 26 storeys. Construction imminent.

Render:

Chapel Wharf
Residential tower. 125m. Construction imminent.

Render:

Foundry Wharf
Residential. 26 storeys. Construction imminent.

Render:

Crown Tower
Residential and hotel tower. 160m. Site prep imminent.

Render:

Chancellor Place
Residential, office, hotel and medical scheme. Approx 4 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

Vivo
Residential, office, retail and hotel. Approx 3.5 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

Greengate Embankment
Residential, office, retail and hotel. Approx 3 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

First Street
Residential, office and retail. Approx 3.5 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

There's plenty more going on too, so come and have a look at the Manchester forum! :)

See less See more
#181 ·
^^ Looks good! So is funding now available again?
X1 are a relatively big development company who currently have a bunch of schemes ongoing in Manchester, so they would appear to have the money. This will be their biggest scheme so far though I think.

They're about to start construction on X1 Exchange Quay:

Is that the site of the BBC building on Oxford Road?
Yep :)

Currently a surface car park :eek:hno:

#185 ·
First tour of the National Graphene Institute

The University of Manchester is not only the birthplace of graphene, but is aiming to stay at the forefront of innovation and research into the wonder material with the completion of its £61m National Graphene Institute.

The NGI, which has been designed by architect Jestico + Whiles, selected BAM Construction to build its research hub, a 63 week project which is due for completion next spring.

GMBW was invited along to take a tour of the centre, which is yet to be fitted out but gave us a first glimpse about what to expect when it finally opens its doors next year.

The stunning, glass-fronted hub will be the UK’s home of research into the world’s thinnest, strongest and most conductive material, first discovered by the University’s Nobel prize winning scientists, professors Sir Andre Geim and Sir Kostya Novoselov.

SOURCE: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/first-tour-national-graphene-institute-7894084

#188 ·
http://i.imgur.com/o8WP77t.jpg[/IMG]
I think what this image shows is how ugly the arndale tower and really the whole shopping complex is in general. It takes up such a huge blotch of central Manchester its really a disappointment especially when you look at what was in its place. If we could then I'd like to see the area rebuilt (obviously unfeasible) and integrated into the surrounding streets, similar to how the Trafford Centre is with a 'street' flanked by shops all under one roof.

#189 ·
I think what this image shows is how ugly the arndale tower and really the whole shopping complex is in general. It takes up such a huge blotch of central Manchester its really a disappointment especially when you look at what was in its place. If we could then I'd like to see the area rebuilt (obviously unfeasible) and integrated into the surrounding streets, similar to how the Trafford Centre is with a 'street' flanked by shops all under one roof.
At ground level it's really nice. Especially the plaza outside the Corn Exchange.

I won't defend the tower, though. But there's far, far worse. It's basically just bland.

#190 ·
And there are little snippets of 70s mad-dash architecture, like the section covered up by advertising on the High Street/Market Street corner and near the Food Court.

I'm quite fond of the Market Street section that was re-built and the M&S/Selfridges side, but running parallel to the Printworks looks cheap, tacky and rushed (the red brick wavy bit).

Yuck.

#196 ·
Manchester comes 43rd for world property investment!

At 124% growth we've also seen the 3rd largest increase in property investment in the world! After Dubai and Beijing, not bad!

I think the second city debate is being answered right as we speak.

Truth be told, Manchester's incredible growth is more about catching up to where it (or Birmingham) should have been a few decades ago, had the UK employed a more traditional first and second city structure.

Coupled with the population growth (highest of any UK major city), and the major infrastructure projects that are in the pipeline, I think a clear and definitive gap will start to emerge in the next two decades between Manchester and Birmingham (putting them 2 and 3 respectively) which will only increase investment in Manchester as it becomes more of a safe bet for the future.

#197 ·
I think the second city debate is being answered right as we speak.

Truth be told, Manchester's incredible growth is more about catching up to where it (or Birmingham) should have been a few decades ago, had the UK employed a more traditional first and second city structure.

Coupled with the population growth (highest of any UK major city), and the major infrastructure projects that are in the pipeline, I think a clear and definitive gap will start to emerge in the next two decades between Manchester and Birmingham (putting them 2 and 3 respectively) which will only increase investment in Manchester as it becomes more of a safe bet for the future.
It does seem that the BBC are still isistant that Brummie is the second city, and why?

It's obvious we've got the second most powerful city in England, if not the UK.

Look at where all the calls for Parliament to be moved to temporarily were centered at; not Birmingham, not Cardiff and neither Glasgow nor Edinburgh, but Manchester!

"The Conservatives are holding their party conference in the Second City..."

No they're not, they're holding it in a city still stuck in 1974 and Pebble Mill at One.

Where's the growth, Birmingham?

#199 ·
It does seem that the BBC are still isistant that Brummie is the second city, and why?

It's obvious we've got the second most powerful city in England, if not the UK.

Look at where all the calls for Parliament to be moved to temporarily were centered at; not Birmingham, not Cardiff and neither Glasgow nor Edinburgh, but Manchester!

"The Conservatives are holding their party conference in the Second City..."

No they're not, they're holding it in a city still stuck in 1974 and Pebble Mill at One.

Where's the growth, Birmingham?
Stuck in 1974 :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Why don't you try visiting some time? They're actually holding it in Birmingham for 3 of the next 6 years. Birmingham is a major convention city. Why would they want to go to Manchester? :lol:

For your information Pebble Mill was demolished over a decade ago. :bash:

Where are all these calls coming from? There were talks of it being moved to Birmingham long before the MEN came up with the idea :lol:

And aren't most cities seeing growth at the moment? No, that's right, just Manchester. :nuts: