SkyscraperCity Forum banner

MANCHESTER | Projects & Construction

Tags
manchester
3M views 9K replies 330 participants last post by  SteKnight 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
MediaCity
20 acres in phase 1, 200 acres total. Under construction. Approx 7 million sq ft.

Current:

Render:

Green Quarter
Large residential scheme with numerous midrises to 21 storeys. Under construction. Approx 2.5 million sq ft.

Current:

Spinningfields
Large office led scheme, multiple buildings including the iconic Denton Corker Marshall Civil Justice Centre, highest approx 200m. 3 Hardman Square (75m) currently under construction. Under construction. Approx 4.5 million sq ft.

Current:

Eastgate
Residential and hotel tower. 188m to roof. Under construction.

Current:

Rendering:

Gravity
Residential tower. 118m. Construction imminent.

Render:

Canopus
Residential and hotel towers. 165m and 111m. Construction imminent.

Render:

ManYoo
4 residential towers at 26 storeys. Construction imminent.

Render:

Chapel Wharf
Residential tower. 125m. Construction imminent.

Render:

Foundry Wharf
Residential. 26 storeys. Construction imminent.

Render:

Crown Tower
Residential and hotel tower. 160m. Site prep imminent.

Render:

Chancellor Place
Residential, office, hotel and medical scheme. Approx 4 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

Vivo
Residential, office, retail and hotel. Approx 3.5 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

Greengate Embankment
Residential, office, retail and hotel. Approx 3 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

First Street
Residential, office and retail. Approx 3.5 million sq ft. Approved.

Render:

There's plenty more going on too, so come and have a look at the Manchester forum! :)

See less See more
#156 ·
2 St Peter's Square | Offices | 12 floors

A few amendments to this proposal, including new renders.

The meshwork tracery will now be on both sides of the building, and has been further refined.

Louvres on the rear/top glazed section have changed from glass to powder coated aluminium + additional ceramic frit detail, there's also less of them.

The pillars on the ground floor have changed, and also the ground floor has been taken back further giving more sheltered space at the base of the building.

#158 ·
I think the flower squares are what makes this building look nice, even if it does seem to be a bit of a compromise just to make it fit in with the surrounding context.

I keep liking this and then not liking it, it's a strange one, but I think I'd rather see this there than what's there now (bar Century House, which is alright).

In fact I wish this was taller.

#159 ·
I think the flower squares are what makes this building look nice, even if it does seem to be a bit of a compromise just to make it fit in with the surrounding context.

I keep liking this and then not liking it, it's a strange one, but I think I'd rather see this there than what's there now (bar Century House, which is alright).

In fact I wish this was taller.
I love the flowery facade. It's beautiful. A nice bit of character. :cheers:

#163 ·
River St Tower | 42 floors

Potential part-funding for River St Tower, although there's a chance it may actually be a reduction in height. However 250 is the maximum number of units which can be funded anyway, so probably not a reduction in height.

Exciting because we all thought this was dead.

Has been shortlisted for the HCA's Builders Finance Fund. Announced on 8th Sep.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...fund-shortlist

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...-Shortlist.xls

They've only bid for funding for 250 properties???

Also Renaker @ 2-4 Chester Road appears, also 250 properties.

Has this already been posted elsewhere?

#168 ·
#172 ·
1 Angel Square

Fantastic pictures by GShutty.

1 Angel Square was completed a few years ago, but it's next to some of Manchester's most deprived neighbourhoods. But these areas become more and more ripe for development every day.

It's a stunning building, and the park around it is well maintained.

#174 ·
Plans revealed by Realty today show a 31 storey building set around some other buildings. The site is currently a surface car park.

31 floors is a little disappointing for such a prime site, but this is only an initial plan.

Nice... I really like how they've used the brick-red and white colours that fit in really nicely.

>There's certainly space to widen NOMA to re-invent those red-brick buildings in the area, like New Islington.

#176 ·
X1 MediaCityUK | Salford | 291 flats

14. X1 MediaCity, Manchester
COMING SOON!

p.7 here.... www2.housescape.org.uk/brw1/pdf/BRW1001680.pdf

Looks like a reinvigoration of a scheme previously put On Hold in 2007/8 when the market crashed.

4 blocks
Each block 26 floors high
85m
291 flats

Next to Harbour City Metrolink station, about 3 miles from Central Manchester:

#179 ·
14. X1 MediaCity, Manchester
COMING SOON!

p.7 here.... www2.housescape.org.uk/brw1/pdf/BRW1001680.pdf

Looks like a reinvigoration of a scheme previously put On Hold in 2007/8 when the market crashed.

4 blocks
Each block 26 floors high
85m
291 flats

Next to Harbour City Metrolink station, about 3 miles from Central Manchester:
They should build that at BBC Oxford Rd 😃 llooks good

#181 ·
X1 are a relatively big development company who currently have a bunch of schemes ongoing in Manchester, so they would appear to have the money. This will be their biggest scheme so far though I think.

They're about to start construction on X1 Exchange Quay:

Is that the site of the BBC building on Oxford Road?
Yep :)

Currently a surface car park :eek:hno:

#188 ·
http://i.imgur.com/o8WP77t.jpg[/IMG]
I think what this image shows is how ugly the arndale tower and really the whole shopping complex is in general. It takes up such a huge blotch of central Manchester its really a disappointment especially when you look at what was in its place. If we could then I'd like to see the area rebuilt (obviously unfeasible) and integrated into the surrounding streets, similar to how the Trafford Centre is with a 'street' flanked by shops all under one roof.

#185 ·
First tour of the National Graphene Institute

The University of Manchester is not only the birthplace of graphene, but is aiming to stay at the forefront of innovation and research into the wonder material with the completion of its £61m National Graphene Institute.

The NGI, which has been designed by architect Jestico + Whiles, selected BAM Construction to build its research hub, a 63 week project which is due for completion next spring.

GMBW was invited along to take a tour of the centre, which is yet to be fitted out but gave us a first glimpse about what to expect when it finally opens its doors next year.

The stunning, glass-fronted hub will be the UK’s home of research into the world’s thinnest, strongest and most conductive material, first discovered by the University’s Nobel prize winning scientists, professors Sir Andre Geim and Sir Kostya Novoselov.

SOURCE: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/first-tour-national-graphene-institute-7894084

#190 ·
And there are little snippets of 70s mad-dash architecture, like the section covered up by advertising on the High Street/Market Street corner and near the Food Court.

I'm quite fond of the Market Street section that was re-built and the M&S/Selfridges side, but running parallel to the Printworks looks cheap, tacky and rushed (the red brick wavy bit).

Yuck.