SkyscraperCity Forum banner

tallinn on inline skates...pictures from around Tallinn tken today

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  ch1le 
#1 · (Edited)
long time since i did a photothread. Though i have made bout 2000 pictures in that time.. so here goes, some pictures from today...Some places you have seen some not.. hope youll enjoy..
map of my trip... rode some 20km today, not too easy considering i had 3-4kilos of Skate stuck to each of my legs! Numbers are in order of appearance..

have fun...

Kaweplaza

Churchox..

Kassisaba ;)

kassisaba district... yelling fix me... like the flags!

cant resist... a glass panoramic lift box

interesting street, Tehnika str.

Schnelli Tiik/park seen close to railway station

towers ja oleviste seen some hundred meters from Railway station

contrastradisson seen from maakrimaja base

tornimäe...uc, seen from Maarkimaja base

stockmann Chaosy picture

Crow in kadrioru park

See less See more
#9 ·
Great pics. I had almost same idea to make photothread of districts, which are situated around old town, because there are really valuable places. Penultimate picture is cool. Tehnika street picture is nice also: regardless buildings look sad there, these buildings have charm.

#10 ·
Thanks, ch1le! :eek:kay:

This was really enjoyable ... I just can imagine you zooming along on your inline skates :runaway: stopping every once in a while to take a photo. :cool: Seeing these photos of different districts right next to each other is very interesting for me as an outsider! :)

And I hope there won't be any wholesale demolition of those wooden houses, they are so warm and homey looking! I hope the day will come when they are all fixed up with the latest amenities and landmarked! :angel1:

#11 ·
part II , random order :(
near the US embassy/kentmanni/kaupmehe str.
its a interesting and curioursly dense part of Tallinn.. it seems to have replaced a glorious wooden district... which remains in smaller portions today

US embassy

looking right from the ebassy... :p

one of those curious wooden buildings... on..mmm..aum.. some street near Tatari......

heres Tatari str... in the future.. it will possibly be full of glorious new buildings :sleepy: the district (Tatari, süda, Sakala str) already possibly has/had most contruction sites in tallinn :p

a newly erected apartment building ...

a construction site on Kaupemehe str. ive heard it for a 8 storey office/apt building(huge next to the wooden 2 storey buildings next to it on (atleast on the str))

the wooden buildings are empty.. dubbed do be demolished soon i guess to make room hopefully for 2 scrapers...

#12 ·
Oh, at the end of this report came beautiful pictures!
I wonder - why in earlier times even poorer wooden houses had lot of ornamentation, interesting entrance doors. But today everything is plain, boring, without any ornamentation (many architects even consider any ornamentation on buildings as something bad!).
They should demolish Soviet time commieblocks instead for the new buildings, not these wooden buildings... But I am dreamer. In Riga the demolition of wooden buildings still is rare - but it might increase soon.

How do you think: is this

a progress comparing to this?

#13 ·
http://img133.echo.cx/img133/5283/kkahtlane3wd.jpg

Believe it or not, but that little "raise" in the end of this street was the biggest hill ever for me to ride on the bike when I was something like zero years old.

And now you don't even actually notice that the street is raising...heheheee

Kentmanni..oh yea..my dear old home street. Too bad that US embassy tries to rule the world. You are lucky they didn't kidnap you for taking these pictures so near to their holy "church".

#14 ·
Gatis yes i have to agree..thankfully that area is under municipality protection :) But ill give you a word that these wooden buildings dont look good when not renovated ;) And ofcourse the wooden buildings more inside the district are fine and left alone to stand for another hopefully 100 years... but the ones on the boarders of the district next to one of the business streets in tallinn should and are getting demolished, ofcourse some are still kept...

#16 ·
:) myah. A bit funny even to look at this contrast.

Tallinn has got several "architectural reserves"?
(Btw. Riga has got four - a) enormous historical centre, b) Pardaugava wooden district, c) Mezaparks Art Nouveau and Art Deco villas, d) middle part of Kipsala with wooden buildings. To my mind should be added some part in Maskachka, some part in Sarkandaugava, Vecaki Art Nouveau villas, Teika Functionalism district and may be something more)

#19 ·
hahaha.. i noticed that on the map which is a official document of Tallinn's planning and municipality office they have misspelt Kadriorg.... ;)
ah and the area tha has that weird line around it is Old town which is ofcourse under protection ;)

#20 ·
heres some aeroshots of Tallinn old town, its curious how the hell can Vilnius old town be 13 times bigger!? That is insane.. (btw its the the reddish area)
ALL PICS C ZEPP GRAFELIN

pic of city in the bg...

some closer to earth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.