SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Bishopgate | Mixed-Use | 8-18fl | U/C

62K views 293 replies 31 participants last post by  skybluecity 
#1 ·
The long awaited Bishopgate development has finally been submitted for planning. On the site of the former Royal Mail sorting office, the development will comprise of five towers containing over 1100 student apartments with some leisure and retail at ground level:

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
I don't know. I just wish the Coventry skyline was still dominated by the three spires but i'm a traditionalist i suppose. Yes high rise aren't necessarily bad but i prefer them in clusters rather than in random locations. Maybe a cluster at the train station and a cluster around the university would be my preference aka not in close proximity to the three spires. I agree above the quality of materials and design is key in high rises. The towers in the precinct and the tower next to the Cathedral need to go in my opinion.

#10 ·
I don't know. I just wish Coventry was still dominated by the three spires but i'm a traditionalist i suppose. Yes high rise aren't necessarily bad but i prefer them in clusters rather than in random locations. Maybe a cluster at the train station and a cluster around the university would be my preference. I agree above the quality of materials and design is key in high rises.

The 3 spires can still be prominent if it's carefully planned. All new developments have to consider the sight lines to the spires, so I think your sentiment is safe there. I however don't really mind if they are prominent features or not. I know they are there and they wil always be enjoyed. We can't allow development to suffer because of traditionalist ideas. I think height is the way forward for Coventry. Unless you'd prefer green belt to be built on?

I happen to like this development. I really hope it soyrs on mire growth down that way and beyond.

#11 ·
As for the design for these they are not too bad as student developments go. I would prefer to see more glazing and less white render/concrete though and perhaps for each of the towers to have a signature in it's design to define it from the adjacent tower. Maybe even if its just different coloured vertical cladding in each i.e. one orange, the next blue, etc.

#13 ·
Nice collection. Mind you, as with all other tower builds going up.. good luck in the next recession... (coming in 9 months, I believe). :eek:hno:

#18 ·
I also prefer the CT one.

First thing I noticed was the lower ground level section gaining a recessed entrance(?) not present in the initial renders.

#20 ·
I prefer the new one as well. The layout of this matches the planning application (With the entrance at the front.)

I wonder if anyone will build on the car park. It will loo a bit strange with a huge gap there. Something with frontages might bring more life to the street, along with the other gap being filled in. And CDP can restore that lane that runs from the city gate down to the grammar school. :) :) In my dream.

#25 ·
Hopefully this will kick start other small developments around this area. We've seen puregym moving into this area.

I also hear that the former Bupa offices on the corner opposite to Bishopsgate is soon to be vacated this year, so we might see something happening down that stretch (fingers crossed).

#26 ·
I had to laugh at this objection on the planning portal (From people living in a high rise block of flats!):

To replace a 5 storey Building with an 18 storey block is utter madness. You are creating a
Volcano City, where one has to climb on top of these Buildings to see into The City. It blocks the
View from many Properties on the north side, it will be an eyesore on this corner. Also the
students will be able to look directly into The Flats of Tenants opposite, which means We will have
to keep Our curtains closed to stop prying eyes, We get problems already from Students in Flats
in Town shining Laser Lights into The Flats, idiot's this close could be very dangerous. The Block
opposite will suffer from increased noise levels and pollution, We have a problem with the fumes
from cars waiting at the traffic lights as it is, this building will entrap it funneling it up to the high
rise Flats opposite. With no parking for most of the Students, They will also be seek parking
spaces and use the area around William Batchelor House, We have a problem as it is, with
People parking in Our Places and going into Town. There are 26 Sheltered Tenants also in the
Block, who do not need noise from Students shouting late at night, playing music, jumping out of
taxi's and attracting Drug Dealers and Thieves to this Area. There is already to much Student
accommodation, in the City Centre it is being taken over by this Army and it's not good for The
Image of Our once beautiful City.
The University is also taking over The High Rise Block near the
town Hall, Why does it have to spoil this Area. Most Cities such as Leicester are taking down tall
blocks, to make the Cities more pleasing for residents and Visitor's. 2 have disappeared from by
The Station, We do not need Them to be replaced by this Development. You have already made
a big mistake by allowing a 20 storey block to go ahead behind The Belgrade, that was pure
madness on Your behalf. I wish to attend This Planning Application to voice many other
concerns direct to The Committee. Yours faithfully
So, from this:

- students are peeping Toms who shine lasers everywhere. (And this is dangerous!)
- they're into drugs.
- they're into loud music
- they're always jumping noisily into taxis.
- it will trap petrol fumes.

And it's turning Coventry into a 'Volcano City'?!? Where you will have to climb one of these buildings to get a 'view' of it.

Once beautiful city? Maybe in 1932.

Maybe if they offered something with a bit more, um, evidence, I'd be a bit more sympathetic. This sounds like a rant by someone who's objecting for the sake of it and making things up.

#27 ·
I had to laugh at this objection on the planning portal (From people living in a high rise block of flats!):

So, from this:

- students are peeping Toms who shine lasers everywhere. (And this is dangerous!)
- they're into drugs.
- they're into loud music
- they're always jumping noisily into taxis.
- it will trap petrol fumes.

And it's turning Coventry into a 'Volcano City'?!? Where you will have to climb one of these buildings to get a 'view' of it.

Once beautiful city? Maybe in 1932.

Maybe if they offered something with a bit more, um, evidence, I'd be a bit more sympathetic. This sounds like a rant by someone who's objecting for the sake of it and making things up.

Finally a claim to fame for coventry - the first volcano city!

#34 · (Edited)
For a city now approaching 350000 people, the city centre must still have one one the smallest residential and employment populations of any UK city over 150000. From this picture, it almost looks like a side street (with the usual vacant lot) for a declining Midwest American city like Canton, Flint or Youngstown Thankfully this lot should see some imminent action.

#37 ·
I'm friendly with a couple of people connected to the EGO Performance Company, whose building is adjacent to the old Society nightclub I think?

It appears more plans for this area are afoot, as developers (Barberry or someone else perhaps) are looking to purchase the building, requiring vacant possession. EGO of course aren't too happy as they would effectively find themselves homeless, so they're attempting to raise enough money to buy the freehold themselves.

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand the building has no architectural merit and the whole area is badly in need of regeneration. On the other, I have no wish to see EGO disappear. I guess ideally they could find an alternative home, but where, I don't know.

#38 · (Edited)
EGO would surely be a good match for Fargo? There are new offices there and they are aimed at the Creative Arts.

That whole area needs a redevelopment, hopefully one that preserves the lane up to the old city gate! At the moment the area is a bit of a mess.

A few years back developers tried to buy that club by the ring road roundabout (Some sort of Armed forces club?) but the club refused.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.