SkyscraperCity Forum banner

No.1 The Gateway | Tower Hamlets | 79m | 25 fl

40K views 273 replies 73 participants last post by  Bowater 
#1 ·
No1 The Gateway Poplar Business Park Prestons Road 25 Floors 79M

Construction has begun, with a crane and two pile drivers now on site!
No pics yet (can some post up the image that is been posted before.

#3 ·
Yeah it is quite bland, there is an image of it at night floating around dunno if anyone has it??? The tower will be taller than the Barratt ones across the road and quite overbearing when you approach from the north, blocking out the view of the wharf at some angles.

#5 ·
that is it. i took that pic a while back.
I'd gladly go and take more if only that fucking rain would stop at some point!
I will though. I knew it'd be a fast track construction timeline, they were digging only about two weeks after the first hoardings went up.
Thing about the blandness of the building is the render is too sketchy (so to speak) to make out any kind of material clad. there's however a website that should be going up sometimes in the near future if memory serves me well.
To be continued...

#11 ·
DLR is a light railway and is not so prone to all that business as far as I know.

#17 ·
I don't think the DLR is a big issue, when you consider how many apartments are either above it or facing another direction. Biggest issue for me is the surroundings at ground floor level. You may be very near CW but the walk is pretty unpleasant with Aspen Way and the roundabout is in the way with not great subways to get across.

But I don't want to sound too down! Blackwall DLR is close by, and I think it's good for new development to spread across the Aspen Way/DLR barrier into Poplar.

#20 ·
found this on another thread but should also be mentioned here as it's including daytime renders and a link to the constructors website:

Not sure if this building near Elektron has its own thread. Here are a few new renderings of the planned residential tower alongside Aspen way in Poplar. Previous images have all been at night so its interesting to see that it will be cream coloured.
Pictures are from Hawkins/Browns recently updated website. http://www.hawkinsbrown.co.uk/

#21 ·
Good find. Its called Poplar High Street...where is the High St? The developers describe it as the most 'high density' project in the UK...WEll done that PR person...I can hear the cash registers not opening from here ....... ??????.

#22 ·
Thanks for that, I've been keen to see how this will look.

Went past this site a couple of weeks ago and unless I was much mistaken the floor plates on the corner of the site adjacent to Poplar High Street (i.e. not the taller element) were up to about the 3rd floor.

Couldn't take a close look or take pictures as I was driving.

#24 ·
was wondering myself about this "highest density for any scheme in the UK" statement, one would think that developments like Pan Peninsula with the far higher floor number should have a higher density than this, but I guess the key to density is more about using almost every single square meter on the underlying ground and hardly leaving a green spot. This must be where they outdid themselves here, but the achievement probably rather lies in the second part of the statement to get this still "consented by a local authority"...

here's the direct link where one can also see bigger versions (one has to point not click on them to make them big) of the smaller pictures below in Henrys post:

http://www.hawkinsbrown.co.uk/portfolio/project.php?categoryId=7&projectId=8#

the so called "high street" can be seen on the picture on the lower right of their site

#25 ·
Of course it's not much of a high street. It's more of a dump than anything else but it does fullfills a role.
I am quite happy, regardless of how unrefined the whole scheme maybe, that finally the opportunistic effect of CW are crossing the great divide that is Aspen way. number one the Gateway in my opinion finally connects the dots. It may seem insignificant but adds up a lot for the local community, showing it's ok to venture north of CW.

#26 ·
I am quite happy, regardless of how unrefined the whole scheme maybe, that finally the opportunistic effect of CW are crossing the great divide that is Aspen way. number one the Gateway in my opinion finally connects the dots. It may seem insignificant but adds up a lot for the local community, showing it's ok to venture north of CW.
That's why I like this scheme, regardless of the architecture.

#27 ·
^^^ Very good points actually..there needs to be some sort of crossover....

#30 ·
Does anybody know what was on this site previously?
Car park.

In which case can we assume that the rest of the business park will eventually become redeveloped for high rise housing?
Possibly. There's another site similar to this on the north-eastern side of Blackwall DLR which I can easily see becoming a prime residential site in the near future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.