Cyborg/Bionics News and Discussion - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Space, Science & Technology

Space, Science & Technology shaping tomorrow's world

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 72883

Cyborg/Bionics News and Discussion

This is a thread about technology implemented in/on the human body, what we call Bionics.

While bionics can also mean biology-inspired tech applications elsewhere, we want to focus on human bionics / augmentations here.

Artificial organs, bionic eyes, exosceletons, heart pumps, nano bots inside human bodies... We cover it all.

To get you excited about the technology, I'll introduce the thread with a great trailer - but also make you think about possible dangers.

Purity First (Deus Ex - Human Revolution trailer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akaos1U8Rto

Exciting website, too: www.sarifindustries.com

What do you think? Could corporations or states manipulate us via augmentations?
What about other possible dangers of bionics?

But furthermore: What about the possible opportunities and great perspectives bionics could provide for us?

Here we go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUK-4c_6-rI

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

_BPS_, KlausDiggy liked this post

Last edited by erbse; February 27th, 2013 at 08:38 AM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #2
erbse
LIBERTINED

Germany's going ahead with bionic eyes for blind people:

The first real, high-resolution, user-configurable bionic eye

Researchers in Germany have unveiled the Alpha IMS retinal prosthesis; a device that completely redefines the state of the art of implanted, bionic devices. The first round of clinical trials were a huge success, with eight out of nine patients reporting that they can now detect mouth shapes (smiles, frowns), small objects such as telephones and cutlery, signs on doors, and — most importantly — whether a glass of wine is red or white.

The Alpha IMS, developed by the University of Tübingen in Germany, is exciting for two reasons. First, it is connected to your brain via 1,500 electrodes, providing unparalleled visual acuity and resolution (the recently-approved-in-the-US Argus II retinal prosthesis has just 60 electrodes). Second, Alpha IMS is completely self-contained: Where the Argus II relies on an external camera to relay data to the implant embedded in your retina, the Alpha IMS prosthesis has a built-in sensor that directly gathers its imagery from the light that passes into your eye. This has the knock-on effect that the Argus II requires you to turn your head if you wish to look from side to side, while the Alpha IMS allows you to swivel your eyeballs normally. In essence, Alpha IMS is the first true, self-contained bionic eye.

The Alpha IMS and Argus II retinal prostheses work in fundamentally the same way. Basically, there are different kinds of blindness — cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, disease, and so on. In a healthy eye, light is converted into electrical signals by the rods and cones in your retina, which are then transmitted down your optic nerve to your brain. In an eye that’s been afflicted by macular generation or diabetic retinophathy, these signals aren’t generated. Alpha IMS and Argus II restore vision by, essentially, replacing the damaged piece of your retina with a computer chip that generates electrical signals that can be understood by your brain.

For the most part, these bionic eyes are still rather dumb and rely heavily on the brain’s amazing ability to make sense of the alien signals being pumped into it. That isn’t to say, though, that we don’t have any control over the signals being produced, and thus the perceived image: In the image above, the large device above the patient’s ear is a dial that can adjust the implant’s brightness. Yes, we’re now at the point where we can create bionic eyes with configurable settings. I wonder how long it’ll be until there are bionic eyes that offer higher resolution and sharper visual acuity than our squishy, fleshy orbs.

SOURCE: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...ble-bionic-eye

Old February 27th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #3
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1501

Not long, i believe. About 10-20 years. Still it will take time before these become cheap enough so not only the very wealthy can afford them.

Spartan proverb
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #4
CanadianDemon

Likes (Received): 386

ARGUS II Bionic Eye is legal for purchase in the United Kingdom.
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:50 AM   #5
_BPS_
678 999 8212

Likes (Received): 2718

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
But furthermore: What about the possible opportunities and great perspectives bionics could provide for us?
All that life-enhancing would be great, but if given the opportunity to replace my mind and flesh by robotics that increase longevity, then I'd choose to live & die a shorter life with an un-enhanced natural body and an independent state of mind.
_BPS_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:18 AM   #6
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ Yeah, I guess many people will choose this way for a while.

But there most probably will be a time when the "Naturals" become a global minority.

Much like offline people could be defined as a global minority today. (at least in industrial countries)

The plus side of bionic enhancement is just way too big - it'll allow us to travel space and go to settle wherever we want. We wouldn't have to adapt our needs anymore, we could do whatever we want with our bodies.

Even the dangers wouldn't be all that huge at some point - if almost everyone's sort of immortal, I'd guess wars become a rare event.

Perhaps this "evolution" could be the final cause of human wars coming to an end. Perhaps?

Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:09 PM   #7
VelesHomais
Zurück in die Zukunft

Likes (Received): 5087

"Purity first" - ha! I've expected movements like this to emerge, but later, not now. These people will eventually end up in reservations to live their pathetic natural primate lives in the natural environment. Anyway, I have no interest in interactions with such people. I favor rapid and ceaseless augmentation of not only our bodies, but our brains in particular. We have been augmented by evolutionary processes up until the present times, now we are on the verge of being able to give our evolution an artificial boost. The end of Homo Sapiens is only a century away and we will transcend into a far more capable and effective individual as well as collective units.

erbse, kamranali liked this post
VelesHomais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:59 PM   #8
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 7057

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BPS_ View Post
All that life-enhancing would be great, but if given the opportunity to replace my mind and flesh by robotics that increase longevity, then I'd choose to live & die a shorter life with an un-enhanced natural body and an independent state of mind.
This is true when you are young and healthy. But wait until you reach 60yrs old, and you have severe back pain, arthritis, poor eyesight and hearing, and you realize that you have not achieved all your goals in life, or maybe you have new ones. At that point your ideas about bionics might change.

AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #9
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
This is true when you are young and healthy. But wait until you reach 60yrs old, and you have severe back pain, arthritis, poor eyesight and hearing, and you realize that you have not achieved all your goals in life, or maybe you have new ones. At that point your ideas about bionics might change.
I agree with that, even young people need to thing about those types of problems. If there was a safe way to enhance my senses and lifetime, even at a young age, i'd do it.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #10
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
^ Yeah, I guess many people will choose this way for a while.

But there most probably will be a time when the "Naturals" become a global minority.

Much like offline people could be defined as a global minority today. (at least in industrial countries)

The plus side of bionic enhancement is just way too big - it'll allow us to travel space and go to settle wherever we want. We wouldn't have to adapt our needs anymore, we could do whatever we want with our bodies.

Even the dangers wouldn't be all that huge at some point - if almost everyone's sort of immortal, I'd guess wars become a rare event.

Perhaps this "evolution" could be the final cause of human wars coming to an end. Perhaps?
Most certainly, the wars will continue. Humans of 22nd and 23rd century will probably be immortal and godlike compared to today's humans, but with their abilities they will also find new ways to destroy each other.

I wonder how come no film director hasn't come up with an idea to shoot a movie about a 23rd century transhuman with godlike capabilities somehow coming among us.

...and no, I don't consider Superman as such movie.
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #11
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6232

How about the 21st?

I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #12
Ulpia-Serdica

Likes (Received): 7662

The prosthetic arm bebionic3 by RSL Steeper

bebionic3 utilises leading-edge technology and unique, ergonomic features that make it unlike any other hand available. These innovations combine to give the hand unrivalled versatility, functionality and performance.

http://bebionic.com/the_hand/features

erbse, KlausDiggy, Guajiro1 liked this post
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #13
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1124

"Tech in humans" Now let us look at the future.

People will stare into blank walls and see everything, play games that aren't there, and hack zombies who don't care.

Last edited by Сталин; March 20th, 2013 at 12:29 AM.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #14
erbse
LIBERTINED

3D Organ Printing - Human augmentation

3D Organ Printing suits this thread better than the general 3D printing thread - so:

Printing a human kidney

How 3D printouts could solve the organ-donor problem and save peoples' lives

"[Our lab uses] a desktop inkjet printer, but instead of using ink, we’re using cells." — Anthony Atala

Surgeon Anthony Atala demonstrates an early-stage experiment that could someday solve the organ-donor problem: a 3D printer that uses living cells to output a transplantable kidney. Using similar technology, Dr. Atala's young patient Luke Massella received an engineered bladder 10 years ago; we meet him onstage. Talk recorded 3 March 2011.

Video:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2012...a-human-kidney

Old March 25th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #15
erbse
LIBERTINED

Love Kurzweil!

Will men and machines merge?

Will we one day be able to access all of human knowledge directly from a chip implanted into our brains?
American author, inventor, and futurist Ray Kurzweil believes it will be possible.

He argues that the exponential rise in computing power we see today will continue to a point where in 2029, machines will be as smart as people.

At that point, he says, people will inevitably begin to use technology in new ways, implanting powerful devices that augment our abilities.

Kurzweil calls this point in time “the singularity”.

At the recent Singularity Summit in San Francisco, he told BBC Future how this momentous change will come about and what it will mean for us and society.

VIDEO: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2012...machines-merge

Old April 8th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #16
_BPS_
678 999 8212

Likes (Received): 2718

I, Robot
_BPS_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #17
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 2686

3D printing tech is already just going ballistic - the possibilities are immense, it is fantastic and super exciting.

This is the future and it is happening as we speak.
Diggerdog está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #18
NanoMini
Wat's price of the earth?

Likes (Received): 2534

Cyborg and first steps.

A cyborg, short for "cybernetic organism", is a being with both organic and cybernetic parts.The term was coined in 1960 when Manfred Clynes and Nathan S. Kline used it in an article about the advantages of self-regulating human-machine systems in outer space. D. S. Halacy's Cyborg: Evolution of the Superman in 1965 featured an introduction which spoke of a "new frontier" that was "not merely space, but more profoundly the relationship between 'inner space' to 'outer space' – a bridge...between mind and matter."

One Cyborg Athletes

Fictional cyborgs are portrayed as a synthesis of organic and synthetic parts, and frequently pose the question of difference between human and machine as one concerned with morality, free will, and empathy. Fictional cyborgs may be represented as visibly mechanical (e.g. the Cybermen in the Doctor Who franchise or The Borg from Star Trek); or as almost indistinguishable from humans (e.g. the Terminators from the Terminator films, the "Human" Cylons from the re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica etc.) The 1970s television series The Six Million Dollar Man featured one of the most famous fictional cyborgs, referred to as a bionic man; the series was based upon a novel by Martin Caidin entitled Cyborg. Cyborgs in fiction often play up a human contempt for over-dependence on technology, particularly when used for war, and when used in ways that seem to threaten free will. Cyborgs are also often portrayed with physical or mental abilities far exceeding a human counterpart (military forms may have inbuilt weapons, among other things).
NanoMini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #19
NanoMini
Wat's price of the earth?

Likes (Received): 2534

NanoMini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #20
bitreaktor
BANNED

Likes (Received): 75

nice but i can't wait to see when they implement carbon nano tubes as artificial mussels
bitreaktor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
future, technology