SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Local Blackfriars | Trinity Way | 54/42m | 17/13 fl

127K views 364 replies 86 participants last post by  jrb 
#1 · (Edited)

Applicant: FICM Ltd - Fred Done

Architect: 5Plus

Application:
14/65407/FUL

Land Bounded By Trinity Way, Blackfriars Road, Bury Street And Garden Lane Salford

Demolition of existing buildings with the exception of the former Black Friar public house and erection of two buildings (ground plus 12 storeys and ground plus 16 storeys) comprising 380 residential units (Use Class C3) and 889 sqm commercial space (Use Classes A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, B1, D1 and D2); ancillary basement providing space for refuse, cycle parking, car parking, plant and core; change of use of the vacant former Black Friar public house to accommodate offices, management suite and other ancillary functions; associated access, car parking, public realm and other associated works.
134 x 1 bed, 239 x 2 bed, 7 x 3 bed, 900 sq m commercial.

Materials:

1. The structural grid will be clad in a precast concrete panel in a medium ‘basalt’ grey. The concrete will have a polished for longevity.

2. The infill panels will be glazed terracotta cladding or glazed brick slips in a stack bonded pattern

3. The ground and first floor walls and infill panels will be a buff brick

4. The louvres will be a dark bronze coloured metal.

5. The balconies will be dark grey PPC aluminium panels with a mix of solid metal and glazed balustrades.

6. The windows will be made from a dark grey PPC aluminium frame.

7. The commercial units will be clad in a curtain walling system,

The top storey will be clad in a flush curtain walling system with infill insulated panels with a bronze
louvre system. (Not illustrated)

The roof of Block 1 and Block 2 will be mid to dark grey single ply membrane, (Not illustrated)

The roof to the commercial pavilion fronting Blackfriars Road will be a green planted roof. (Not illustrated).
Landscaping & Ground Floor:

A shared garden will be located between the two blocks offering private amenity.

A public square open during the day and closed at night is provided behind the Black Friar Public House.

Renders:

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, grade II.
On the corner of Blackfriars Road and Trinity Way stands the grade II listed building of the Black Friar Public House. Dated 1886, it was a purpose built beer house and described in the HER as ‘a plain but attractive brick built corner public house’.

The pub is empty and unused and in a state of disrepair. Many of the original internal features have been removed.

The proposed scheme would seek to refurbish and reuse this heritage asset. The pub would be brought within the proposed developments boundary and used as a gateway to the scheme and contain the building management offices [and] communal facilities.

#7 ·
Completely unsympathetic relationship to the pub.

Also a really poor relationship to Blackfriars Road. One of the main differences between this scheme (by 5plus) and the one opposite (by OMI) is that the latter provides enclosure and animates Blackfriars Road very effectively despite the main bulk of the scheme being perpendicular to the road. This is a vastly poorer scheme.

#23 · (Edited)
Bit of planning history. This was the last scheme for the site, back in 2005/6, architect: Stephenson Bell. 121 apartments.
Thanks nq.

Just shows how different developer / architect teams can come up with completely different solutions all things being equal. For me, the first scheme is more attractive and sensitively designed.

Saying that, not all things are equal. For a start, construction costs fluctuate, the PRS subsidy scheme did not exist and the site will have been bought and sold.

But more importantly I think, different developers have different values, business models, relationships, appetite for risk and expectations of profit. Fred Done is a canny businessman and despite the blather and faux sentimentality about Salford in the press release, I'm sure the main reason the scheme looks as it does is his desire for a certain return rather than to create the best building he could on this site.

Hopefully the planning authority can have a moderating effect and work with the applicant to improve it.

#12 ·
I'm shocked at how bad this is.
Compare with the older proposal and ask yourself which urban environment you would prefer to live in.

The older one looks like a familiar but renovated Manchester, this new one looks like the former Soviet Union.
Such potential in Salford but I fear they're already throwing away their chance in a lifetime.

#15 ·
I've seen worse guys, I'm just saying...I don't like that old proposal the building behind the pub looks like a real stinker and although this new lot are a bit high rise council-ish there looks to be a decent mix of materials and I like the double height glazed lobby, like I say I've seen worse.

#22 · (Edited)
The bomb has landed.

Design and Access PDF statements aren't working for some reason. 7 of them.

14/65407/FUL | Demolition of existing buildings with the exception of the former Black Friar public house and erection of two buildings (ground plus 12 storeys and ground plus 16 storeys) comprising 380 residential units (Use Class C3) and 889 sqm commercial space (Use Classes A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, B1, D1 and D2); ancillary basement providing space for refuse, cycle parking, car parking, plant and core; change of use of the vacant former Black Friar public house to accommodate offices, management suite and other ancillary functions; associated access, car parking, public realm and other associated works. | Land Bounded By Trinity Way, Blackfriars Road, Bury Street And Garden Lane Salford

Land Bounded By Trinity Way, Blackfriars Road, Bury Street And Garden Lane Salford

Ref. No: 14/65407/FUL | Received: Fri 26 Sep 2014 | Validated: Fri 26 Sep 2014 | Status: Pending Consideration

http://dctmviewer.salford.gov.uk/Pl...ASS_CODE=PLAN&Application_number=14/65407/FUL

#24 · (Edited)
When I first saw the scaffolding going up around the Black Friar a couple, or so, weeks ago, I thought it was yet another of central Salford's great city centre pubs biting the dust. Good to know that it is to be renovated. I currently think the plans are mediocre (maybe even a bit shit really) but I thought that about Alto too, which I now think is superb.

The site as it stands now:
DSC_0207 by Andrew Nić-Pawełek, on Flickr

DSC_0203 by Andrew Nić-Pawełek, on Flickr

DSC_0200 by Andrew Nić-Pawełek, on Flickr

There'll be a small square behind the Black Friar:
DSC_0225 by Andrew Nić-Pawełek, on Flickr

The buildings which'll be going:
DSC_0223 by Andrew Nić-Pawełek, on Flickr

DSC_0208 by Andrew Nić-Pawełek, on Flickr

DSC_0204 by Andrew Nić-Pawełek, on Flickr

DSC_0202 by Andrew Nić-Pawełek, on Flickr

#25 ·
I would love to see something like we have here in Hackney (yup, I've moved to London :( ) - if these buildings were here, they would be full of artists and modestly improved aesthetically, maybe with a bit of independent retail and lots of gallery space.. Whats there just now would interact better with street level if it were tarted up than whats proposed...

#27 ·
Trinity | Trinity Way / Blackfriars Rd | 54/42m | 17/13 fl | Pro

I don't think this is the area for that though. The area between Trinity Way and Chapel Street needs to be busier in order to feel safe (and for those beyond it to feel safe passing through it) and that means dense development. Sadly dense development in Salford means. Shit blocks of flats.

Something like you suggest would be better further into Salford, around Liverpool Road and Oldfield Road. Islington Mill already exists out that way. I do quite like post war industrial buildings for art space, like in Beijing.

#32 · (Edited)
Not specifically related to Whitworth St, but generally relevant to all all development in Manchester is the quote on PRS and the rental target for a 1 bedroom apartment over at Blackfriars.

Granted I know it was an off the cuff remark made in an informal setting. But I do wonder what rental assumptions are built into the financial projections of this latest wave of private rental development. In the video he quotes a rental target of £1000 per month for a 1 bedroom flat - yes it looked pretty nice, but still this must be about 30% - 40% over the current market rates.
I know. May be aiming for a high end development, but it's hardly a premium location.

Said 1 bedroom apartment.

No updates on this one recently. There seems to have been a certain amount of back & forth with the council with regards to design justification, see the added docs at the end of last year. Small amendments, but nothing significant. The retention of the Black Friar placing constraints on the design seemingly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.