UNITE Tower | 1-5 New Wakefield Street | 95m | 32 fl | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Manchester Construction Projects

Manchester Construction Projects Projects being built in Manchester

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old June 15th, 2017, 07:27 PM   #21
ric4397

Likes (Received): 2315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiasb View Post
Which is 17 NWS?
NWS: See title of the thread

aidspd liked this post
ric4397 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2017, 07:27 PM   #22
dd79

Likes (Received): 465

student castle..
dd79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #23
Tiasb

Likes (Received): 165

Well now I feel stupid
Tiasb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #24
Stopfordian Dreamer

Likes (Received): 10889

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooned View Post
Where its going

What its Replacing

Looking forward to see the proposals, any idea of how its being funded?
Sad to see Sound Control go. Maybe if we lucky we will have a tower like Axis with a small base (going where the abandoned building and courtyard are) and then the building juts out over Sound Control's building and Font's building, kind of like a big T or ice illoy on a stick.

Berlin Manc liked this post
Stopfordian Dreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #25
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 18419

Well Simpson is known for his cantilevers so its always a possibility.
AJD1984 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #26
ric4397

Likes (Received): 2315

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooned View Post
Is there a reason the UK has the tallest student accommodation buildings?
1st. 17 NWS
2nd. Sky Plaza Leeds
3rd. Chapter Spitafields London

Then this which could be 2nd upon completion, maybe even 1st
Why don't other countries have student accom towers?
My guess is that in other countries, tall buildings are reserved for glamourous hotels, luxury apartments and office blocks as a brag of the country's financial success. Student accommodation are generally rather low grade non luxury compared to the above and not considered worth building fancy skyscrapers for, although I'm surprised places like Hong Kong or New York don't even have anything to match what we have in the UK at just over 100m which wouldn't even show in the skyline in those places.

mooned liked this post
ric4397 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:42 AM   #27
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 18419

Just a reminder about the consultation on Wednesday at Central Library till 7.30pm.

I'll be popping along after work again. Hopefully some others can make it too.

The plans will also be available on the website

http://www.newwakefieldstreet.co.uk

Berlin Manc, mooned, GShutty liked this post
AJD1984 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 01:06 AM   #28
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 45856

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD1984 View Post
Just a reminder about the consultation on Wednesday at Central Library till 7.30pm.

I'll be popping along after work again. Hopefully some others can make it too.

The plans will also be available on the website

http://www.newwakefieldstreet.co.uk
Oh! I finish at 2.30pm. Might make it. Thanks.

AJD1984 liked this post
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 01:07 AM   #29
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 33383

I'll probably be there from about 3.45/4

Got a few questions regarding Manchester City Council's recent cold shoulder to student accommodation and whether the developers reckon this is going to be lifted soon.

If so, expect a massive construction boom in Manchester in the coming years (I know, I know - but even bigger than what we're already seeing!). There's so much pent-up demand for student accommodation in this city it's unreal

AJD1984, Bylina liked this post
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 01:26 AM   #30
CarMadMike

Likes (Received): 843

Seems a bit odd that they didn't try and grab the Revolution plot too so they could put a nice frontage onto Oxford Road. Any idea why they haven't, is Revolution's lease too long?

This is the area of Oxford Road that looks really grubby and tatty imo, 7 Oxford Place across the road is actually a nice building if you look up, it just desperately needs a good scrub and a few new high end tenants.

Circle Square will obviously help lift the area and improve it, but this area of Oxford Road is desperately screaming out for new pavements imo, the current ones look awful.

Sad to see Sound Control go, I had a fair few good nights in there throughout the years, it'd be nice to see a new bar go into this development to accompany the very popular Font Bar and Gorilla, I'm looking forward to seeing what they're proposing tomorrow

boyaloud liked this post
CarMadMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 10:07 AM   #31
Slow Burn
Consumed

Likes (Received): 11686

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
I'll probably be there from about 3.45/4

Got a few questions regarding Manchester City Council's recent cold shoulder to student accommodation and whether the developers reckon this is going to be lifted soon.
What do you mean by the Council's cold shoulder to student accommodation, VDB?
Slow Burn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 11:17 AM   #32
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Burn View Post
What do you mean by the Council's cold shoulder to student accommodation, VDB?
Policy H12 of the Core Strategy (below) has restricted the supply of student accommodation which isn't directly related to the University's own redevelopment plans amidst fears of an oversupply around the time Student Castle was built. Other schemes such as Vita have of course been approved however they had to demonstrate how they cater to a very different market.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/20.../core_strategy

Quote:
"Policy H12 of the Core Strategy sets out the criteria against which proposals
for purpose-built student accommodation will be assessed. It is this
framework which is being challenged through the forthcoming appeals
identified above."

"Policy H12 sets out 10 criteria which schemes providing new purpose built
student accommodation would need to comply with. In the policy preamble it
confirms that priority will be given to schemes which are part of the
universities’ own redevelopment plans or which are being progressed in
partnership with the universities, and which clearly meet the Council’s
regeneration priorities."
Other cities such as Glasgow and Newcastle have been developing purpose-built student accommodation at much more rapid rates than Manchester, despite way higher student numbers, student growth and therefore demand existing in the Manchester market. There's a lot of pent-up demand and I'm interested in finding out whether Unite have been in correspondence with the council about ditching Policy H12 now that the circumstances are very different to when that policy was introduced. If that's the case then there's potentially very exciting times ahead for places like Hulme, Rusholme, the City Centre and potentially Fallowfield

Childzy, Wub liked this post
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:54 PM   #33
FearOfManchester
Danced right out the womb

Likes (Received): 383

What a shame, the sound control building was once a1 repairs music shop, where every Manchester band of any repute got their gear, this area should be designated a cultural zone so it can be protected from development, this little area is the beating heart of student nightlife. once sound control goes, the thirsty scholar and the rest will fall like a domino effect and the place will just be another sterile part of the city, full of student accommodation, but no life at all, it will also provide further justification in the councils eyes, to get rid of cornerhouse, and completely change this part of oxford road.
Old June 21st, 2017, 04:11 PM   #34
hussla
hussla

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearOfManchester View Post
What a shame, the sound control building was once a1 repairs music shop, where every Manchester band of any repute got their gear, this area should be designated a cultural zone so it can be protected from development, this little area is the beating heart of student nightlife. once sound control goes, the thirsty scholar and the rest will fall like a domino effect and the place will just be another sterile part of the city, full of student accommodation, but no life at all, it will also provide further justification in the councils eyes, to get rid of cornerhouse, and completely change this part of oxford road.
A1 music was a great shop.I used to spend all my free time between there and Manchester underground records.I also bought my very first drum machine from A1 music back in the day.

On another note,I sold my Funktion one sound system to Sound control to be installed in their basement only a few months ago and they had big plans so im surprised they seem to be closing down.
hussla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 04:23 PM   #35
FearOfManchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussla View Post
A1 music was a great shop.I used to spend all my free time between there and Manchester underground records.I also bought my very first drum machine from A1 music back in the day.

On another note,I sold my Funktion one sound system to Sound control to be installed in their basement only a few months ago and they had big plans so im surprised they seem to be closing down.
There's nothing they can do about it, the lease gets bought from under them and they get evicted, in this city of ours luxury student accommodation talks, nightclubs don't. And it's fully supported by the council because its 'regeneration', this area of the city under the bridge has always felt very special, and has that old Manchester industrial feel, the loss of the nightclub will ruin that and completely sanitise the space. The other bars and pubs will be forced out by noise complaints and loss of business.

hussla, guy debord, Jinkies! liked this post
FearOfManchester no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 04:52 PM   #36
Salfordmanc

Likes (Received): 1711

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearOfManchester View Post
There's nothing they can do about it, the lease gets bought from under them and they get evicted, in this city of ours luxury student accommodation talks, nightclubs don't. And it's fully supported by the council because its 'regeneration', this area of the city under the bridge has always felt very special, and has that old Manchester industrial feel, the loss of the nightclub will ruin that and completely sanitise the space. The other bars and pubs will be forced out by noise complaints and loss of business.
The area may have atmosphere and student appeal, but it is a sh****le down there.

longtermer liked this post
Salfordmanc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:23 PM   #37
FearOfManchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salfordmanc View Post
The area may have atmosphere and student appeal, but it is a sh****le down there.
I agree, things can be done to make it less dingy, it should be designated a cultural area, and protected against more residential, because the noise complaints will start rolling in and everything else in the area will be done away with, we've lost enough nightclubs to 'regeneration' the students need somewhere to go. Nightclubs seem to have very little protection in this country, and nightlife is treated by the council as a dirty word.

mooned liked this post
FearOfManchester no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:24 PM   #38
VDB
Strong and Stable

1-5 Cambridge St | Oxford Road
Student Accommodation | City Zone

Thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post140667202

• Address: 1-5 Wakefield St, City Zone Manchester M2

• Architect: Simpson-Haugh

• Floors: 35

• Number of student units: 600

• Commercial space: 1 unit

• Developer/Operator: Unite

Current status

Pre-Planning app

Nearest transport:

Old June 21st, 2017, 06:29 PM   #39
VDB
Strong and Stable

• Planning application submitted "soon"

• Unite keen to get started on construction as soon as possible

• Universities have cited a dire need for student accommodation and are pressuring the council to abandon Policy H12

• Apparently students are renting apartments in schemes such as Cambridge St (intended for young professionals) because of lack of accommodation in the city centre.

• They're unsure on the height as yet and will be liaising with the universities over exact need, which will determine the eventual height. The application is for a tower of "up to" 35 floors, the renders show 30 floors.

• Ground floor commercial unit

• Cladding is anodised aluminium
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:30 PM   #40
JBGee

Likes (Received): 1694

Yep. Like that!
JBGee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: